Author Topic: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions  (Read 1249135 times)

Offline yui

Re: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions
« Reply #5650 on: Thu, 20 May 2021, 01:40:03 »
Labeled Caps are n00b caps.
yeah but they look better in my opinion, and it is much fun to see someone trying to use your pc with a layout that does not adhere to what is written on the keys :) (for context at work my physical boards are ISO-PT and ISO-FR while my software layout is US-INTL :))
although i feel that for TP4 others using his keyboard is not a possibility :)
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #5651 on: Thu, 20 May 2021, 05:20:29 »
Labeled Caps are n00b caps.
yeah but they look better in my opinion, and it is much fun to see someone trying to use your pc with a layout that does not adhere to what is written on the keys :) (for context at work my physical boards are ISO-PT and ISO-FR while my software layout is US-INTL :))
although i feel that for TP4 others using his keyboard is not a possibility :)

3D cekmate

Offline Leopard223

« Reply #5652 on: Sat, 05 June 2021, 21:18:35 »
Keyboard users (not here but in general) don't know how the hell to describe switch feel

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

• buck buck, cluck cluck, squawk squawk
« Reply #5653 on: Sat, 05 June 2021, 22:37:01 »
Keyboard users (not here but in general) don't know how the hell to describe switch feel
This MX blue is very linear and smooth

Offline devo343

« Reply #5654 on: Sun, 06 June 2021, 14:19:41 »
I hate RGB on keyboards.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5655 on: Sun, 06 June 2021, 17:43:39 »
RGB is great, but only if you choose one static colour across the keyboard.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Volny

« Reply #5656 on: Mon, 07 June 2021, 04:29:35 »
It might be just me, but I honestly feel like I'm being gaslit half the time I visit the interest check forum. Page after page of the same generic-looking boxy keyboards or bog standard cherry profile keycaps in a slightly different shade of grey. I can't tell the latest one apart from the last 4 I viewed, and then hordes of people come tripping over each other to declare that it's the most amazing thing they've ever seen.  :confused:

Offline Faceman76

« Reply #5657 on: Mon, 07 June 2021, 05:16:51 »
It might be just me, but I honestly feel like I'm being gaslit half the time I visit the interest check forum. Page after page of the same generic-looking boxy keyboards or bog standard cherry profile keycaps in a slightly different shade of grey. I can't tell the latest one apart from the last 4 I viewed, and then hordes of people come tripping over each other to declare that it's the most amazing thing they've ever seen.  :confused:
You're not the only one. Few sets stand out for me.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

TKC 1800, Crystal Box Navy, Sprit 100g

Offline Arch4Life

« Reply #5658 on: Mon, 07 June 2021, 05:18:21 »
me too mate, me too

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Offline TheWonderBubble

« Reply #5659 on: Mon, 07 June 2021, 08:29:18 »
  • People that hit the spacebar with their finger instead of their thumb are wrong.
  • BOW/WOB doesn't make your keyboard look "clean" or "classy," it makes your keyboard look like a storebought Dell.
  • Hirigana/katakana/other languages on your keyset when you aren't actually using them for that language are a trashy gimmick that just makes you look like an unironic weeb.
Shhhhh...my wallet doesn't know I'm here.

Offline TheWonderBubble

« Reply #5660 on: Mon, 07 June 2021, 08:34:33 »

Glad to know it's not just me. I thought it might be since I'm only recently diving in and was just overwhelming myself, but I've noticed the same as well - a lot of keyboard and keyset designs really aren't that interesting. Varying shades of grey with the text in the upper left corner or tan with grey & orange modifiers and centered text using the same font plugged into a rectangle with a 5deg typing angle and a USB hole in the back...and together they cost $4-600+. I spent so long looking at keyboards the other night that I got excited over a center-mount USB-C port just because it was the most different design feature I'd seen in hours. :confused:

Offline Leopard223

« Reply #5661 on: Mon, 07 June 2021, 20:18:14 »
  • People that hit the spacebar with their finger instead of their thumb are wrong.
  • BOW/WOB doesn't make your keyboard look "clean" or "classy," it makes your keyboard look like a storebought Dell.
  • Hirigana/katakana/other languages on your keyset when you aren't actually using them for that language are a trashy gimmick that just makes you look like an unironic weeb.
You will probably find it funny to know that Japanese people don't actually use JP sub-legends at all, they use English, learned that after making a suprise board for a Japanese friend.

Offline jamster

« Reply #5662 on: Mon, 07 June 2021, 20:31:16 »

I wish there was a way to block out the IC forum when hitting the Unread Posts button. It's by far the noisiest sub on the forum, and yes, it's full of generically indistinguishable cases that people are gushing over in the most embarrassingly semi-literate way possible- half the posts could be bots.

It's ironic, people are too excited by keyboard renders to be able to type properly... or in many cases even to type a complete sentence.

Offline azzipa

« Reply #5663 on: Mon, 07 June 2021, 20:38:23 »
You will probably find it funny to know that Japanese people don't actually use JP sub-legends at all, they use English, learned that after making a suprise board for a Japanese friend.

so my choices are intentional weeb or unintentional weeb? dang, i really like wapuro and modern ink and now i have to reconsider. this hobby is so confusing!

where do cyrillics fit in? bc i really like taiga, too.

tl/dr: buy dots or blanks! oh wait, that was covered, too  :-[

Offline NoteMakoti

• for sale, baby shoes, never worn
« Reply #5664 on: Mon, 07 June 2021, 21:29:27 »

I am an unironic weeb.

Offline F eq ma

« Reply #5665 on: Mon, 07 June 2021, 22:42:21 »
The real hidden art in the keyboard community is not key switches or keycaps or even the cases with the deepest thocks.   The art is the cheapest aspect of the whole endeavor …. the QMK customs that people design.    There is beauty in the custom firmware. 

Offline TheWonderBubble

« Reply #5666 on: Tue, 08 June 2021, 00:15:45 »
The real hidden art in the keyboard community is not key switches or keycaps or even the cases with the deepest thocks.   The art is the cheapest aspect of the whole endeavor …. the QMK customs that people design.    There is beauty in the custom firmware.

I can't code at all (yet) but I do enjoy seeing the results of what people build. I'll 100% agree with you on this.

Offline Learis

« Reply #5667 on: Thu, 10 June 2021, 15:48:57 »

I am an unironic weeb.

If ironic is like rain on your wedding day, then it's better to be unironic than ironic.
Mend and Defend

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #5668 on: Thu, 10 June 2021, 22:04:22 »
This MX blue is very linear and smooth

It's my favourite switch besides razer greens (kahil era).

Offline fairypenguin

• zzz
« Reply #5669 on: Mon, 21 June 2021, 18:21:23 »
1. The world doesn't need any more cyberpunk or black-and-white keycap sets.

2. People wearing sweaters and lots of rings in sound test videos in an attempt to emulate Taeha feels corny.

3. There is no rational reason to spend more than $400 maximum on a mechanical keyboard.

Offline kikomir

« Reply #5670 on: Tue, 22 June 2021, 08:36:06 »
- Group Buys, as a form of sale/ordering, need to die in a fire. Waiting for 1-2 years for a product you pay today is absurd and it makes this hobby incredibly unrewarding. And it's a scummy practice. We need to actively boycott group buys.
- Split, ergo, sub-60% sizes, dvorak, colemak, ortho and other obscure layouts/setups are absolutely an unnecessary gimmick for most people, obviously except a tiny minority for whom it makes sense. If the good ol' reliable staggered qwerty works for almost all of the people around the world, don't try to sell me a quirky layout as the best thing since sliced bread.

Offline azzipa

« Reply #5671 on: Tue, 22 June 2021, 08:39:55 »
strong first entry, wtg!  :thumb:

Offline TheWonderBubble

« Reply #5672 on: Tue, 22 June 2021, 09:40:05 »
- Group Buys, as a form of sale/ordering, need to die in a fire. Waiting for 1-2 years for a product you pay today is absurd and it makes this hobby incredibly unrewarding. And it's a scummy practice. We need to actively boycott group buys.

Legitimately curious - what do you think is the alternative?

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

« Reply #5673 on: Tue, 22 June 2021, 10:05:24 »
Legitimately curious - what do you think is the alternative?

This talk has been had many times, as of now there is no good way to do this.
Hobby is still small, most group buys are run by small teams of designer so no chance of in-stock their unless they are omega-rich. Big vendors can do instock buys, but again, big vendor, usually will not work with smaller designers for their smaller projects.

Offline NoteMakoti

« Reply #5674 on: Tue, 22 June 2021, 11:46:21 »
- Split, ergo, sub-60% sizes, dvorak, colemak, ortho and other obscure layouts/setups are absolutely an unnecessary gimmick for most people, obviously except a tiny minority for whom it makes sense. If the good ol' reliable staggered qwerty works for almost all of the people around the world, don't try to sell me a quirky layout as the best thing since sliced bread.

These two points are connected; group buys exist to fund projects that only a handful of weirdos care about.

Offline TheWonderBubble

« Reply #5675 on: Tue, 22 June 2021, 11:50:35 »
Hobby is still small, most group buys are run by small teams of designer so no chance of in-stock their unless they are omega-rich. Big vendors can do instock buys, but again, big vendor, usually will not work with smaller designers for their smaller projects.

That's kinda what I figured. Too new here to have caught the previous talks on it, but I wasn't able to really think of another way to do it either, especially since IC's aren't a guarantee of purchase for manufacturers to base their time and equipment on.

Offline alertArchitect

• Genderless Void
« Reply #5676 on: Tue, 22 June 2021, 12:15:30 »

Agreed. Only way that this hobby could possibly move away from the GB model is if it suddenly had a massive influx of people interested in it, on a fairly large scale that we're likely never to see. At least to the level that larger companies would see some form of profit from keeping keyboard-hobby related products in stock constantly.

Offline F eq ma

« Reply #5677 on: Tue, 22 June 2021, 18:38:17 »

Agreed. Only way that this hobby could possibly move away from the GB model is if it suddenly had a massive influx of people interested in it, on a fairly large scale that we're likely never to see. At least to the level that larger companies would see some form of profit from keeping keyboard-hobby related products in stock constantly.

I have no practical experience, so this maybe just a bunch of BS, plus my thought process is all over the place.  I apologize.

A good industry standard for pcb to case integration would help minimize the group buy requirements.   Think how the MX standard has helped.   When you can find keycaps available, you are almost guaranteed they will fit any board.  Open source projects excite me.   Something about taking an open source pcb and do my own small run fabrication is great.   Problem is finding a good case that fits.   Mix and match so to speak.

It takes huge time investments with the open source route as well.   The designers need a way to monetize their effort.  Tricky balancing act.

Now if the open source concept could happen for cases besides the swillb stack template, then that may open up options.  I think the ergo builds with home 3d printers have promise as a roadmap.   Weight always feel like a better quality, but I have heard that non-metal cases may provide better sounds…. How to make a 3D printer output feel more luxurious?  Sanding smooth?   Adding slots for fixed weights for added heft?  Not sure.

Think how revolutionary getting GMK quality keycaps at home with a 3D printer would be.

Can’t wait to get my first aluminum case to see what the hubbub is about.

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

« Reply #5678 on: Tue, 22 June 2021, 18:50:28 »
A good industry standard for pcb to case integration would help minimize the group buy requirements.   Think how the MX standard has helped.   When you can find keycaps available, you are almost guaranteed they will fit any board.  Open source projects excite me.   Something about taking an open source pcb and do my own small run fabrication is great.   Problem is finding a good case that fits.   Mix and match so to speak.

Some standards already exist like universal plates and people designing boards around already made pcbs like ones made by hiney or hadi, but due to the large amount of layouts, styles people want, it’s really hard to have anything standard.

For example location of a daughter board breakout could be wildly different between layouts and pcbs for optimization, ie where you want the usb, where you have routing so you want to place the connector in an open place

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline elderbong

« Reply #5679 on: Wed, 23 June 2021, 16:17:47 »

Agreed, but with one caveat: a tasteful gradient can be nice

Offline alertArchitect

• Genderless Void
« Reply #5680 on: Wed, 23 June 2021, 16:56:24 »

Agreed, but with one caveat: a tasteful gradient can be nice

I have a second caveat to add on top of that one: RGB can be very nice when it is coordinated with the whole of a setup. Not just a "I have my other lights this color, all my stuff should be this color!" but more of an actual design choice that is coordinated with other parts of the desk. Even with things that change colors, if it does so between a limited range to keep with the color scheme used by the person in question.

Offline Meijboom

« Reply #5681 on: Thu, 24 June 2021, 14:59:02 »
I love the 2016 Macbook Pro's  butterfly keyboard. My WPM are a bit higher then my mechs with the super low travel, and big keycaps. I still love my mech's tho

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #5682 on: Thu, 24 June 2021, 20:24:56 »
I love the 2016 Macbook Pro's  butterfly keyboard. My WPM are a bit higher then my mechs with the super low travel, and big keycaps. I still love my mech's tho

actually a more popular opinion than you'd think, there's some solid scissor switches out there. they do get fatiguing if you're on it for too long though
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline NoteMakoti

« Reply #5683 on: Fri, 25 June 2021, 12:41:27 »
Group Buys only suck for mech keyboards because all the manufacturers are backed up. If anything, more products should shift towards being group buys, so as to avoid overproduction and waste.

Offline alertArchitect

• Genderless Void
« Reply #5684 on: Fri, 25 June 2021, 14:39:15 »
Group Buys only suck for mech keyboards because all the manufacturers are backed up. If anything, more products should shift towards being group buys, so as to avoid overproduction and waste.

Honestly, I agree, especially for smaller businesses. Made-to-order is a lot less wasteful as well. Definitely not going to be possible with a lot of products, though.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5685 on: Fri, 25 June 2021, 19:31:23 »

I like the Apple Aluminium keyboard (full size version), especially the little electric shock I get each time I touch it!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline chadrezzar

« Reply #5686 on: Fri, 25 June 2021, 21:49:53 »
1. Pom blanks are the superior keycaps. Durable and no possible issues with legend centering/legend quality.
2. They are extremely overpriced unless you get them from taobao directly and either get lucky&don't get a warped spacebar/unwarp it yourself
3. Silent switches are superior. No issues with thock/thack or clack or any of that, you just try to get them as quiet as possible and thats all  :))

Lastly I'm hoping for a market switch in the customs scene from MX to mechically better designed switches such as optical or hall effect ones(lekker switches). You get lower input delays&smoother switches with adjustable actuation points... And from the prices on the boards that I've seen using them somehow these high tech switches are cheaper than you'd expect even though the tolerances are very tight.

Whilst I think that in theory this sounds good I just foresee too many practical issues. If something went wrong in the QC department and you end up with subpar products who's going to eat the cost? It's going to be you as a customer unless you somehow manage to convince the factory in china to eat the loss.
The vast majority of things I buy are things I want now or at least asap, waiting 4/5+months on a keyboard or parts is whatever because I have something I can use in the meantime and waiting another month is at most a slight inconvenience. On the other hand if my monitor breaks I need a monitor asap, if my chair/bed/couch/kitchen/shower breaks I'm replacing that asap. The turnover time between coming up with an idea for a GB, ordering and receiving the product is so big that I don't see it catching on except for specific luxury/enthousiast grade goods that people don't necessarily mind waiting a long time for, which can also be things like a monitor/chair/couch/shower ofcourse but this will always be an extremely small part of the total market. Convience is highly valued and in the end waiting X months on anything really is simply inconvenient regardless of how much overproduction and waste you could prevent with it.
« Last Edit: Fri, 25 June 2021, 22:06:02 by chadrezzar »

Offline yui

« Reply #5687 on: Mon, 28 June 2021, 02:15:20 »
3. Silent switches are superior. No issues with thock/thack or clack or any of that, you just try to get them as quiet as possible and thats all  :))
I kinda agree that silent are better for linear i still like my clickies better, and silent switches can still ping, my board with gat silent reds is the pingiest thing i ever used, although that only happen with a case, without it it is less noisy than the rubber domes in the office (logitech k120 and random dell/hp boards).

Offline Leopard223

« Reply #5688 on: Thu, 01 July 2021, 17:06:06 »
"Progressive" springs are not meant for tactile switches, the bump should not be weaker than the bottom out.

Offline chadrezzar

« Reply #5689 on: Fri, 02 July 2021, 01:11:16 »
I kinda agree that silent are better for linear i still like my clickies better, and silent switches can still ping, my board with gat silent reds is the pingiest thing i ever used, although that only happen with a case, without it it is less noisy than the rubber domes in the office (logitech k120 and random dell/hp boards).

Yeah ping can be a bit hard to get rid of in my opinion... I've had most luck with bobagum linears in that aspect, needed the least amount of "work" by far to get them as quiet as possible(and without frankenswitching they're significantly more quiet overall than the gateron/zeal varients in my experience)

As for clickies... eh whilst I do like the sound every now and then using them as a daily would drive me crazy  :))

Offline Leopard223

« Reply #5690 on: Fri, 02 July 2021, 09:02:08 »

Yeah ping can be a bit hard to get rid of in my opinion... I've had most luck with bobagum linears in that aspect, needed the least amount of "work" by far to get them as quiet as possible(and without frankenswitching they're significantly more quiet overall than the gateron/zeal varients in my experience)

As for clickies... eh whilst I do like the sound every now and then using them as a daily would drive me crazy  :))
The Boba silent samples I got have this somewhat sticky sound as if the top of the stem unsticks from the top housing, a bit gross to be honest, does it go away after lubing?

Offline Ghghop

« Reply #5691 on: Fri, 02 July 2021, 14:53:58 »
1. ISO layout is objectively inferior to split-shift ANSI (**** 2.75 RShift). The constant and universal circlejerk that causes people to constantly attempt to belittle those who use ANSI was old over a decade ago. If it had any real effect the majority of base kits would come with ISO compatibility but instead ISO apologists are left whining in every single IC thread when it isn't included.

JJ50                   Preonic

Offline Cosmin

« Reply #5692 on: Sat, 03 July 2021, 14:16:45 »

I'm sorry, but this is the thread for unpopular opinions. The above are quite popular opinions if you go by the numbers, just visiting r/mk gives me regular headaches with all the economists and trade experts explaining that GMK should build 5 new factories to accommodate all the people wanting in stock keycaps. Same people who when presented with the opportunity to buy a sealed GMK set at GB prices wince and go buy 30$ keycaps off Amazon because GMK is "overrated" and "overpriced". Not to mention the inevitable horde who is asking "where is windows key" or "how do you use a 40% not enuf keys" whilst typing on their 30% phone keyboard.

People use all sorts of boards, including split, ergo, vertical stagger, 40%, 60%, regular stagger and we love them all. It's why GBs exist - because corporate deemed it unprofitable to manufacture such amazing things and are happy making bank on rubber dome 104s. Please feel free to buy those, also mech prebuilts and keycaps off Aliexpress that are readily available because high end aluminium cases and high end keycaps are stuck with the GB model because people shop on Amazon, want stuff yesterday and sort by price: ascending.

And one more thing: this hobby taught me delayed gratification and overall improved my life. Because this continuous chase for having things before you even pay for them is a scourge. It ruins people and it ruins human interaction, it's all feeding the instant gratification monkey at the cost of one's mental health and eventually sanity.

And now you're going to cry about us gatekeeping. Spoiler alert: you're gatekeeping yourself, but feel free to be salty. If you really want something, you'll wait for it to happen, doing your best in acquiring it. And when it comes to high end boards that are designed from scratch, with a LOT of work, dedication, blood, sweat and tears you have absolutely no right in deeming what we should like, use or do with our resources.

And if you really really want it, you build it yourself. And you may learn a thing or two about humbleness, because you learn to design, to build, to program and to ask for help where you can't quite make it. And it is a humbling experience.

Offline NoteMakoti

« Reply #5693 on: Sat, 03 July 2021, 14:48:53 »
Getting involved in an IC, getting to know the runner and the other people on the buy, and ****posting with them for weeks and months while you wait for your stuff is a way more fun and tolerable experience than treating GBs like retail and just ordering something and waiting. I totally get the people who complain about the GB model and GMK on r/mk, because for them it's literally just "extra slow, extra expensive Amazon/AliExpress".

Offline chadrezzar

« Reply #5694 on: Sun, 04 July 2021, 17:51:02 »
The Boba silent samples I got have this somewhat sticky sound as if the top of the stem unsticks from the top housing, a bit gross to be honest, does it go away after lubing?
I'm not entirely sure what specific sound you're referring to so honestly I can't say. I'd say just try to lube a couple and see what the result is? Gazzew recommends just lubing the sliders so If you haven't done that I'd say give that a try.... I personally prefer them lubed on all contact points to reduce/mitigate any sort of ping and make them as smooth as possible but obviously you'll lose out on some of the tactility by doing this.

Offline jamster

« Reply #5695 on: Sun, 04 July 2021, 20:52:19 »
And now you're going to cry about us gatekeeping. Spoiler alert: you're gatekeeping yourself, but feel free to be salty. If you really want something, you'll wait for it to happen, doing your best in acquiring it. And when it comes to high end boards that are designed from scratch, with a LOT of work, dedication, blood, sweat and tears you have absolutely no right in deeming what we should like, use or do with our resources.

As an aside, is 'gatekeeping' still an internet thing? I noticed that people would occasionally throw this word around, but it's been thankfully absent from my internet browsing in the past couple years.

I understand that it is supposed to have deeper ramifications, but it seemed to invariably be a complaint raised by inexperience people who lacked knowledge or expertise, still wanted their opinions to be heard or treated as 'equal' in various internet pools. It was frequently matched with some phrasing that everyone is entitled to an opinion (apparently even when discussing technical subjects).

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

« Reply #5696 on: Sun, 04 July 2021, 21:05:32 »
As an aside, is 'gatekeeping' still an internet thing? I noticed that people would occasionally throw this word around, but it's been thankfully absent from my internet browsing in the past couple years.
Sounds like the gatekeepers are doing their job

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline yui

« Reply #5697 on: Mon, 05 July 2021, 02:05:40 »

I understand that it is supposed to have deeper ramifications, but it seemed to invariably be a complaint raised by inexperience people who lacked knowledge or expertise, still wanted their opinions to be heard or treated as 'equal' in various internet pools. It was frequently matched with some phrasing that everyone is entitled to an opinion (apparently even when discussing technical subjects).
there are still some peoples in some niche communities that will try to gatekeep in the original sense of the term (aka keeping new peoples out of their hobby for the sake of being special) but whenever a hobby get interest on the internet it is bound to have some helpful souls undo all the gatekeeper's work, at least that is my feeling on it.

Offline alertArchitect

• Genderless Void
« Reply #5698 on: Tue, 06 July 2021, 17:04:06 »

Trust me, there is still a lot of gatekeeping around on the internet. Usually in video game communities, now, from what I see. I see tons of people who will, instead of saying "Oh hey a new player how about I help them!"  will instead choose to say "You're not good enough for this game, get out!"

Usually happens in games with more toxic communities, like League of Legends, Rainbow 6: Siege, and even a few strategy games I can't remember the names of. Genuinely discouraging because in those games, even when the game itself is decent, the community actively hampers its own growth by gatekeeping and bullying new players for "daring" to touch their precious consumer product in a way this slightly-more-established player doesn't like. Usually have to actively seek out the nicer parts of the communities for games like that, especially ones with a professional scene.

Honestly, I'm just glad that I don't really see any gatekeeping outside of memes in the KB community. Helps a lot in making myself and others feel welcome.

Offline NoteMakoti

« Reply #5699 on: Wed, 07 July 2021, 14:06:34 »

Trust me, there is still a lot of gatekeeping around on the internet. Usually in video game communities, now, from what I see. I see tons of people who will, instead of saying "Oh hey a new player how about I help them!"  will instead choose to say "You're not good enough for this game, get out!"

Usually happens in games with more toxic communities, like League of Legends, Rainbow 6: Siege, and even a few strategy games I can't remember the names of. Genuinely discouraging because in those games, even when the game itself is decent, the community actively hampers its own growth by gatekeeping and bullying new players for "daring" to touch their precious consumer product in a way this slightly-more-established player doesn't like. Usually have to actively seek out the nicer parts of the communities for games like that, especially ones with a professional scene.

Honestly, I'm just glad that I don't really see any gatekeeping outside of memes in the KB community. Helps a lot in making myself and others feel welcome.
It funny how the dynamic changes with team games. In fighting games, people are always happy to get new players into a game.