Author Topic: [GB] Beam spring USB-C xwhatsit + solenoid drivers; [GB] Displaywriter xwhatsit  (Read 9956 times)

Offline Ellipse

• Brand New Model F Keyboards
Does anyone need a USB-C beam spring controller and/or solenoid driver?

I am ordering more of the beam spring controllers - fully assembled at the PCB factory - but this time with a USB-C connector.

Solenoid drivers work with all Model F xwhatsit and beam spring xwhatsit controllers, including the Brand New Model F keyboards.

They can now be ordered here - see this page for more details:

https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/product/xwhatsit-beam-spring-or-model-f-controller/

I am also ordering USB-C displaywriter xwhatsit beam spring controllers. They are a separate design. I now have enough commitments to put these into production.

These should start shipping next month, but will be low priority compared to getting out the new Model F keyboards. Fortunately they are far easier to QC and ship than a keyboard. If the dye sub keys arrive then, these will ship out more slowly. Check out the above linked page for more details.

Timeline:
Placing the order:  week of 6/29/20
PCB Production+Assembly:  July 2020
Shipping:  End of July or early August 2020

Below is a photo from the last run (not USB-C):
245970-0
« Last Edit: Tue, 30 June 2020, 13:05:38 by Ellipse »

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • snoozing
Approved
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline Ellipse

Update:  I am also ordering USB-C displaywriter xwhatsit beam spring controllers as well. They are a separate design. I now have enough commitments from the interest check to put these into production.

Offline Ellipse

Solenoid driver update - solenoid driver samples are confirmed working and solenoid driver assembly should finish soon.

Note:  the solenoid driver activity LED for diagnostic purposes does not work (the LED never worked even on my original solenoid driver made directly by xwhatsit).  Not sure why.

246271-0
246273-1
246275-2
246277-3
246279-4
« Last Edit: Wed, 01 July 2020, 17:16:39 by Ellipse »

Offline Ellipse

Update:  xwhatsit solenoid drivers finished production and are being mailed to me soon.

Offline Ellipse

The custom made solenoids are now available to order!  So now everything is open to order - USB-C controllers (Model F, beam spring non-displaywriter, beam spring displaywriter), solenoid drivers, and solenoids.

For those not aware, a solenoid contains a metal cylinder that vibrates the keyboard and/or makes a noise every time you press a key (with exception for certain key programming like the Windows GUI key, etc.) and helps add even more clickiness to a keyboard.

These solenoids are also a great option as an upgrade to IBM's original solenoids too (I'd always save the originals of course for the sake of completeness).

https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/product/xwhatsit-beam-spring-or-model-f-controller/

Why pick this solenoid over other solenoids or over IBM's original solenoids? 

The new solenoids are far beefier than IBM's originals, so your solenoid clicking will be even better!  It's a custom design that you can only order here.  The specifications are 6v, 40 ohm, 0.15A, 0.9W, adjustable throw factory set to 1mm but with a user-adjustable range of about 0.5mm to 5mm (there are 2 screws that can be loosened to adjust the distance of the strike bar).  The factory throw setting allows you to start using this solenoid with no modification (still need to follow xwhatsit's solenoid installation guide to avoid damage to equipment). 

This solenoid has the dark blue outer covering, black and white twisted wires and 2.54mm connector like the original IBM solenoids, but with a strike bar so it won't exactly resemble the IBM solenoid. 

This solenoid is not the one that's available on eBay, though it looks similar and the voltage and resistance specs are the same.  Also that other model doesn't have the adjustable throw - you would have to spend time milling the strike bar to modify it for correct usage with the solenoid drivers.  If the ebay solenoid's throw distance isn't changed, your solenoid will be very sluggish and won't be able to operate at full typing speed.  Also my solenoid is even larger than the eBay solenoid, the 26mm height dimension on eBay is set to be ~29-30mm on my solenoid (the solenoid goes sideways in F62/F77 so it fits) though all the solenoid specs are subject to change.  With a larger metal frame, my solenoid should be a little louder than the eBay model and far louder than the original IBM!  This is the largest possible solenoid that will fit inside the classic style F62 and F77 cases. 

These solenoids will be in the second container ship, expected to leave China soon, so they are not in stock just yet.  Will post photos as soon as production finishes.
« Last Edit: Fri, 03 July 2020, 16:17:17 by Ellipse »

Offline Ellipse

The solenoid drivers are already more than half sold out in the past couple weeks!  Both beam spring controllers should be finished around month end, and the solenoids themselves in the coming weeks too.

Offline Ellipse

Less than 20 solenoid drivers left, as of today!

Offline Ellipse

The custom made solenoids are ready!

Here's a video of the solenoids in action!  They sound hefty even before they are attached to a metal case which should add further impact!

Offline Ellipse

The beam spring controller connectors for the displaywriter and non-displaywriter beam spring keyboards finished production and were sent to the PCB factory.  PCB assembly is expected next week!

248349-0
248351-1

Offline Ellipse

An update - there were some delays with the components.  Components with the wrong footprint had to be re-ordered. 

They will be assembling and DHL Express mailing me a few of each controller for evaluation in the next week or two.  I am also getting the first samples of the solenoids themselves in hand and hope to post another video!

Offline Ellipse

The beam spring and beam spring displaywriter production samples arrived and I have approved the factory to finish up assembly.

I also received a few solenoid production units and posted some more details on the F62/F77 project thread.  The solenoids are great, far better than the originals.  Solenoid production finished and they are waiting to be in the second container shipment later this year.

Offline Ellipse

All the remaining controllers were completed and will be on the next container shipment, expected later this year.