Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3521501 times)

Offline Jalberstone

Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #3950 on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 14:38:47 »
On all of my keyboards I have a lot of ping noises everytime I hit a key and it is annoying me so much that I don't even want to use them anymore. Would O-rings prevent the noise? If not, what can I do to remove the ping sounds?

O-rings might help, lubing your stabilizers help more. For what it's worth, I've never had any issues with pinging on my keyboards.

I have already lubed my stabilizers, but I have pinging on every one of my keys.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3951 on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 14:46:18 »
Try putting a drawer mat/liner between the case and the PCB. The mat/liner should eat up some of the resonance. You can use the $2 stuff they sell at Target. You can also try putting a large mousepad or cloth underneath your keyboard which I think will help as well.

Offline Kira0172

« Reply #3952 on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 16:08:57 »
My QFR has a smaller breakout board that has the mini usb connection and is connected to the USB via a connector that looks like FILCO connector.

Since I found out recently that my QFR has a dual layer green PCB and some others have a single layer non printed PCB, I was unsure of the variations between the different QFR production batches.

Are you asking about the differences in the QFR batches? I didn't see a question. Assuming you are, I think that the QFRs are all single layer PCBs. They have to cut the costs somewhere so they have a thick plate and a thin PCB. Carter and I talked about this one day.

What's the filco (white tkl mjt2) made off. On the pictures i can only see cheap texture but i know its not. How is it?

It's probably ABS. What do you mean how is it? If you're asking about the quality of the case, I'd say it's very nice for a stock case. Better than the QFR and Pure case and on the same level as the Leopold FC700R case.

I meant the case. It looks like textured plastic. How is it in person?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3953 on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 16:18:16 »
It's just standard ABS, mostly smooth. My previous post statement stands.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #3954 on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 16:51:55 »
Anyone know what printing method is used on the extra caps and the stock caps from WWW.pckeyboards.com?
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline stancato9

« Reply #3955 on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 16:52:11 »
It's just standard ABS, mostly smooth. My previous post statement stands.

I actually find it to be more rough then smooth. There is definitely a texture there.
Poker 2 - MX Red

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3956 on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 16:55:07 »
Anyone know what printing method is used on the extra caps and the stock caps from WWW.pckeyboards.com?

Can you link to the board you're asking about because I get rerouted to "KSIKeyboards.com" and I can't find just keycaps.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #3957 on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 17:35:42 »

Can you link to the board you're asking about because I get rerouted to "KSIKeyboards.com" and I can't find just keycaps.

it was pckeyboard.com sorry didn't mean to add the "s".
http://pckeyboard.com/page/UKBD/UB40P4A
http://pckeyboard.com/page/SBLE/GHFunKey specifically the gray keys
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3958 on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 17:41:36 »

it was pckeyboard.com sorry didn't mean to add the "s".
http://pckeyboard.com/page/UKBD/UB40P4A
http://pckeyboard.com/page/SBLE/GHFunKey specifically the gray keys

Pretty sure they're dye-subbed PBT.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #3959 on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 18:01:26 »
I better order that set quick then being a limited small batch run.

Offline vasouv

« Reply #3960 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 05:13:50 »
What's an Otaku keyboard?

Offline GeeGee

• ㅈ ㅈ
« Reply #3961 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 05:16:35 »
Otaku keyboards are boards with blank key caps.
Ducky Shine 2 with Blues
Poker 2 with Reds
KMAC Korean Custom with Clears
ReΛlforce 87u 55g
456GT

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #3962 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 06:24:51 »
Otaku keyboards are boards with blank key caps.

Excellent example of why this thread exists. :D
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #3963 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 09:53:41 »
Alright guys quick one here.  Can someone provide a list of the different stock MX switches in order of ease in finding in a full size keyboard?  I would assume blue, brown and reds would be at the top of the list but want something a little more comprehensive.

Offline lcs

• Lover of Grape Drank
  • はやく
« Reply #3964 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 09:59:17 »
Alright guys quick one here.  Can someone provide a list of the different stock MX switches in order of ease in finding in a full size keyboard?  I would assume blue, brown and reds would be at the top of the list but want something a little more comprehensive.

I'd say black, blue, brown and reds are the most common.

You also have some quickfires with greens (but those are TKL) and now the wasd code witch clears.

I have never seen other switches in stock boards, but I have not been not around for long.
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 September 2013, 10:35:38 by lcs »

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #3965 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 10:24:25 »

I'd say black, blue, brown and reds are the most common.

You also have some quickfires with greens (but those are TKL) and now the wasd code witch clears.

I have never seen other switches in stock boards, but I'm not around for long.

MK.com has Ducky DK9008G2 PRO keyboards with MX Dark Grey (linear) switches in stock.  They also have the Deck Legend keyboards with MX Clears.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #3966 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 10:37:45 »
excellent thanx guys

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
« Reply #3967 on: Wed, 04 September 2013, 01:36:15 »
I'm not so handwired, it seems(problem on plate) :(
Any services(somenone) could making PCB?
Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #3968 on: Wed, 04 September 2013, 09:44:06 »
Does anyone know where I can buy screws locally? Does home depot sell them? i'm asking because I just got a new Ducky Shine 2 and the screw (under the case) barely fastens in tight...someone must have over tightened it. Did anyone experience this? Thanks!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3969 on: Wed, 04 September 2013, 10:04:56 »

Oshpark will print PCBs. Is there a reason you're saying you can't make a plate? You just need to come up with a CAD drawing and then find a plate such as BigBlueSaw or a local machine shop to cut it for you.

Does anyone know where I can buy screws locally? Does home depot sell them? i'm asking because I just got a new Ducky Shine 2 and the screw (under the case) barely fastens in tight...someone must have over tightened it. Did anyone experience this? Thanks!

Yes Home Depot or a hardware store would have screws but I'm not sure what size they are. You can always bring the screw into a store and ask them if they carry that. No I don't have a Ducky so I can't comment.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #3970 on: Wed, 04 September 2013, 10:33:17 »
I think he's asking if someone can design the PCB for him. If so, that is a big undertaking, worthy of its own thread. The PCB designer will need detailed information on exactly what the layout of the board will be, and what you expect it to do.

Also, even if you can find someone to design the PCB for you, having it printed is an expensive undertaking, especially for a keyboard sized PCB. Having even one or two PCBs fabricated will cost in the $150-200 range. Then, if you used an onboard controller, you have to source those components (controller IC, diodes, resistors, capacitors), and solder them onto the PCB yourself (SMD?).

Plate mounting by having a metal plate cut for you and direct wiring the matrix to the (Teensy) controller is by far the least expensive route, albeit a labor intensive one.

I guess what I'm saying is that if you want to make a keyboard design in secret, you need to have money to throw at your project. If you want others to help you with your new design, you'll probably have to do most of it in the open. And be prepared to spend lots of time soldering connections.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline yasuo

« Reply #3971 on: Wed, 04 September 2013, 12:21:13 »
Oshpark will print PCBs. Is there a reason you're saying you can't make a plate? You just need to come up with a CAD drawing and then find a plate such as BigBlueSaw or a local machine shop to cut it for you.
Sorry :-[ CPT my question not specific again,yes i mean design PCB sorry :-[
i can't CAD but photoshop not bad ;D unfortunately in my city nothing like that :-\quite difficult to find like that
if any. i hope can making plate
Thanks man! :thumb:
I think he's asking if someone can design the PCB for him. If so, that is a big undertaking, worthy of its own thread. The PCB designer will need detailed information on exactly what the layout of the board will be, and what you expect it to do.

Also, even if you can find someone to design the PCB for you, having it printed is an expensive undertaking, especially for a keyboard sized PCB. Having even one or two PCBs fabricated will cost in the $150-200 range. Then, if you used an onboard controller, you have to source those components (controller IC, diodes, resistors, capacitors), and solder them onto the PCB yourself (SMD?).

Plate mounting by having a metal plate cut for you and direct wiring the matrix to the (Teensy) controller is by far the least expensive route, albeit a labor intensive one.

I guess what I'm saying is that if you want to make a keyboard design in secret, you need to have money to throw at your project. If you want others to help you with your new design, you'll probably have to do most of it in the open. And be prepared to spend lots of time soldering connections.

Nah,i mean that  i want someone for design with KiCAD only
150$-200$ ^-^
Controller fixed with teensy
my keyboard for me while. so it seems i want cheap PCB only, maybe like key64
actually i want handwired too, but (problem with plate) case. without it, the cable would seem and distrub
I can't put, just like that without a case thought for while
honestly more easy with PCB,request someone for designPCB,i give to PCBmaker,finally i just soldered switch and teensy.etc
without case/plate no problem for while, but the problem should be design PCB :confused: not big project, just my project,
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 September 2013, 05:17:28 by yasuo »

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3972 on: Wed, 04 September 2013, 12:24:59 »
honestly more easy with PCB,request someone for designPCB,i give to PCBmaker

There's a question in the OP you can check out for people who will help you design something. If you can't find help, you can try learning KiCAD yourself.

Offline yasuo

« Reply #3973 on: Wed, 04 September 2013, 12:32:29 »
Sorry i don't understand, What OP?
you mean making thread

THANKS

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3974 on: Wed, 04 September 2013, 12:33:40 »
I mean read the first post in this thread and find help. I even linked it for you...

OP = Original Post
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 September 2013, 12:35:46 by CPTBadAss »

Offline Rule16

• R.I.P. SmallFry
| KB Paradise V60 Maias Quiet Click | Realforce 55gram 87U | MiniTouch (Ivory Hua-Jie) | Poker II | IBM Model F | Unicomp Ultraclassic | Dell AT101W (Black Alps) | WASD Code (Clear) |
Dvorak Only Zone

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #3976 on: Wed, 04 September 2013, 17:00:51 »

in memoriam

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #3977 on: Wed, 04 September 2013, 20:22:48 »

Yes Home Depot or a hardware store would have screws but I'm not sure what size they are. You can always bring the screw into a store and ask them if they carry that. No I don't have a Ducky so I can't comment.

Thanks man, you're always so helpful! I ended up stealing a similar size screw from my girlfriend's leftover screws from her Corsair tower.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3978 on: Wed, 04 September 2013, 20:25:22 »
Thanks man, you're always so helpful! I ended up stealing a similar size screw from my girlfriend's leftover screws from her Corsair tower.

Those worked? Interesting. Maybe I'll venture into Home Depot with my case leftovers and ask them about the size. And you're welcome, glad to help ^__^

Offline Rule16

• R.I.P. SmallFry
« Reply #3979 on: Wed, 04 September 2013, 20:38:11 »
I just bought a Model F XT do I need a special converter or can I just use http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-F2N017-Keyboard-Adapter-MiniDin6/dp/B00000J1UB/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378331777&sr=8-1&keywords=xt+to+ps2
and http://www.amazon.com/PS2-Keyboard-To-USB-Adapter/dp/B000BSJFJS/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1378331801&sr=8-5&keywords=ps2+to+usb+adapter

Unfortunately, I don't think that will work, since it's only XT compatible, not AT. I'm thinking you need a Soarer's XT/AT/PS2/Terminal to USB Converter with NKRO to use the XT Model F with a modern PC.
Hmmm is there anywhere that could make one of these for me?... I can't solder or anything :(
| KB Paradise V60 Maias Quiet Click | Realforce 55gram 87U | MiniTouch (Ivory Hua-Jie) | Poker II | IBM Model F | Unicomp Ultraclassic | Dell AT101W (Black Alps) | WASD Code (Clear) |
Dvorak Only Zone

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3980 on: Wed, 04 September 2013, 20:43:52 »
Hmmm is there anywhere that could make one of these for me?... I can't solder or anything :(

Check this out. Maybe someone on there can make one for you?

Offline Rule16

• R.I.P. SmallFry
« Reply #3981 on: Wed, 04 September 2013, 21:15:26 »

Check this out. Maybe someone on there can make one for you?
Oh nice, thank you!
Dvorak Only Zone

Offline AuRinBei

« Reply #3982 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 00:57:26 »
Can you swap the control and capslock keys at a hardware level on the Poker II? This review:
says that you cannot, but why wouldn't you be able to? Does the programming mode not work at all with either capslock or ctrl?

Also, you can access the function layer in program mode, right. Like if you wanted to map the arrow keys to okl;, you could do that, right?
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 September 2013, 01:07:30 by AuRinBei »
87u || Poker 2

Offline dragonxx21

« Reply #3983 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 01:57:11 »
Do you know of any companies or members of the forums that provide laser cutting (acrylic) or 3D printing services that ships to/within Canada? I'm looking around to see how much it would cost to get some cases for an ErgoDox made.
Keyboards Owned:

Realforce Topre 91 Key JIS Profile - Main
CM Quickfire Rapid Blue Switches
IBM Model M in Industrial Shell

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3984 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 06:32:53 »
1) Can you swap the control and capslock keys at a hardware level on the Poker II? This review:
says that you cannot, but why wouldn't you be able to? Does the programming mode not work at all with either capslock or ctrl?

2) Also, you can access the function layer in program mode, right. Like if you wanted to map the arrow keys to okl;, you could do that, right?

1) It's two function layers that you can reprogram on the Poker 2 if I recall correctly. Unless there's a dipswitch or something, like the WASD V2 has, I don't think you can change the firmware. You could always try a hard rewire though, i.e. rewire the ctrl and caps, but I'm not sure exactly how to do it and it seems to be a bit risky. I think Samwisekoi advised someone how to do it but I forgot.

2) Yes.

Do you know of any companies or members of the forums that provide laser cutting (acrylic) or 3D printing services that ships to/within Canada? I'm looking around to see how much it would cost to get some cases for an ErgoDox made.

I think AcidFire is in Canada and can do laser cutting. You can try PMing him. If you *really* want 3D printed cases, you can try asking mkawa or leslieann but I think their printers aren't big enough. Maybe Shapeways can print you one but the ErgoDox case is pretty big.

Offline Narcix

« Reply #3985 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 13:34:26 »
What do you think of http://www.ebay.it/itm/Full-Size-Alps-Mechanical-Switch-USB-wired-Keyboard-compatible-Window-7-ASK6600-/400257259955?pt=PCA_Mice_Trackballs&hash=item5d313119b3?
My father is looking for an entry level full size mech, unfortuantely there aren't many options here in italy.
Keycool 87 Grey PBT with mx blues

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3986 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 13:37:32 »
What do you think of http://www.ebay.it/itm/Full-Size-Alps-Mechanical-Switch-USB-wired-Keyboard-compatible-Window-7-ASK6600-/400257259955?pt=PCA_Mice_Trackballs&hash=item5d313119b3?
My father is looking for an entry level full size mech, unfortuantely there aren't many options here in italy.

Looks nice? And its hard to tell what Alps switches it uses. Why not try and import a Filco or a CoolerMaster QuickFire Storm?
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 September 2013, 13:40:27 by CPTBadAss »

Offline Narcix

« Reply #3987 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 13:45:20 »

Looks nice? And its hard to tell what Alps switches it uses. Why not try and import a Filco or a CoolerMaster QuickFire Storm?
Do you think that it would be a good choice if i can't find any better alternatives?
I thought that cherry g80's would do, since you can find them for around 60€ on amazon it, but they are only avaiable with de layout, which he doesn't like.
Maybe a quickfire xt or a ducky zero would be nice choices too.
Do you think that it would be a good choice if i can't find any better alternatives

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3988 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 13:47:53 »
First mechanical full size keyboard? Quick Fire Storm or XT. If you can spring for it, a Filco Majestouch 2. I don't care for the Ducky Zero.

Offline Narcix

« Reply #3989 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 14:11:17 »
Just another quick question.
Are there any boards that are uncompatible with linux?

Offline elton5354

« Reply #3990 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 21:58:26 »
What's a teensy and what does it do?

Offline FapFlop

• Logitech G510
« Reply #3991 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 22:04:55 »
DIY for changing the leds in the QFR? I want a soft green or blue.
QuickFire Stealth (MX Red)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3992 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 22:09:00 »

It converts your non-usb keyboard to a USB. For example, if you buy a XT F, you can make it a USB compatable keyboard with a teensy. It's basically a little USB development board that Soarer and others use to create an adapter. More info can be found here.

DIY for changing the leds in the QFR? I want a soft green or blue.

Is that a question? Thread works better when you ask a proper question :P

Try this and here.

Offline TheFlyingRaccoon

• HHKB Pro
  • * Maker
  • Cable maker and future engineer
« Reply #3993 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 23:38:36 »
Where is the cheapest place to get a 6.25x Cherry stabilizer wire? Thanks
HHKB Pro 2   SmallFry Keyboard

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
  • All your base are belong to us!
« Reply #3994 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 23:48:22 »
Where is the cheapest place to get a 6.25x Cherry stabilizer wire? Thanks

cherry or costar?

costar from wasdkeyboards.
http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/cherry-mx-stabilizer-spring-for-spacebar.html

cherry you will have to make your own or find someone else to make one for you.

edit: oops you said cherry. :D
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 September 2013, 23:50:18 by domoaligato »

Offline TheFlyingRaccoon

• HHKB Pro
  • * Maker
  • Cable maker and future engineer
« Reply #3995 on: Fri, 06 September 2013, 00:03:57 »
cherry or costar?

costar from wasdkeyboards.
http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/cherry-mx-stabilizer-spring-for-spacebar.html

cherry you will have to make your own or find someone else to make one for you.

edit: oops you said cherry. :D

Yea, I can just make my own. What gauge wire will I need?
HHKB Pro 2   SmallFry Keyboard

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3996 on: Fri, 06 September 2013, 06:30:50 »
Yea, I can just make my own. What gauge wire will I need?

Check the OP, it's listed there.

Offline Narcix

« Reply #3997 on: Fri, 06 September 2013, 10:13:59 »
Are the matias mac keyboards compatible with linux?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #3999 on: Fri, 06 September 2013, 11:16:12 »

We also use them as the core for the phantom keyboard and for hardwired keyboard designs like Matt3o steel beauty and brown fox keyboards.