Author Topic: GH75 Extending the GH60 to 65% and 75%  (Read 44420 times)

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
Re: GH75 Extending the GH60 to 65% and 75%
« Reply #50 on: Fri, 17 May 2013, 13:54:50 »
That's really super nice!

Also, I am looking at the pcb, and I know almost nothing about pcb, but I see the dots for the leds hole and I only see a link for the capslock led. Does it mean we will need to wire the other leds manually under the pcb or is there another magic trick?

Hope the question is not too n00b, but I still have a LOT to learn  ;D

Also, thx for doing that!
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #51 on: Fri, 17 May 2013, 14:17:32 »
That's really super nice!

Also, I am looking at the pcb, and I know almost nothing about pcb, but I see the dots for the leds hole and I only see a link for the capslock led. Does it mean we will need to wire the other leds manually under the pcb or is there another magic trick?

Hope the question is not too n00b, but I still have a LOT to learn  ;D

Also, thx for doing that!

You have assessed the LED situation almost entirely correctly.  Caps Lock is wired, LED holes are drilled everywhere they could be drilled, and for the moment there is some limited capacity for additional LEDs, although I have not yet decided or wired that yet.

The most likely scenario is one fixed and another optional LED set, probably with some user choice about if and where additional LED(s) go.

All TBD in another revision of the board.

- Ron | samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline Bullveyr

« Reply #52 on: Fri, 17 May 2013, 14:52:26 »
For this version, left function keys and top function keys share matrix positions, so it remains a "pick one" setup, although it will be modular.
:(

Quote from: ripster;185750
Mechanical switches are mechanical.

Offline Skull_Angel

« Reply #53 on: Fri, 17 May 2013, 16:07:41 »
That's a sweet looking setup. I'm actually liking the 1.5 - 1 - 1.5 - 6 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1 layout more and more over the standard 1.25 - 1.25 - 1.25 - 6.25 layout; the idea of the left-alt key extended further to the right is actually a bit more optimal for gaming-cluster modifiers and doesn't interfere with normal spacebar operation from an "idle" position.

Offline Moosecraft

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #54 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 02:56:07 »
1.5 1.5 7 1.5 1.5 is what I like the best.
I am bigfatmc over at other places!

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #55 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 03:46:25 »
samwisekoi, you're such a badass! Thanks for throwing that setup in there.
Can't wait for this.  :p
{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline emptythecache

• out.
« Reply #56 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 06:45:16 »
I've been telling everyone I know I'm going to be done with keyboards after I get my LZGHs, but goddamn do I want a GH75.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #57 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 06:58:45 »
I've been telling everyone I know I'm going to be done with keyboards after I get my LZGHs, but goddamn do I want a GH75.

One can never be done with keyboards :p

Especially when guys like samwisekoi keep coming up with so much awesomeness. :)

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #58 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 07:04:38 »
1) Which two keys should be relegated to an F-layer from stock?  F7 and F8 are not used during any boot sequence that I know of, so that would be my vote.

One of my computers uses F8 to open a list of bootable drives.

2) What about the Escape key?  In the tilde position or in the extreme upper left?

Let both keys be dedicated! But I'm more interested in GH75 than GH65.

Offline rDuck

« Reply #59 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 11:49:37 »
Sweet! I would love x4 1.5, 7.0 spacebar, and left/down/right arrows.

OK done.  Rev 514J of the PCB now has every bottom row configuration requested, although probably not as many as the GH60.

(Arrow keys in RED.)

1.25 - 1.25 - 1.25 - 6.25 - 1 - 1 - 1- 1 - 1 - 1
1.50 - 1 - 1.50 - 6.00 - 1 - 1 - 1- 1 - 1 - 1
1.50 - 1 - 1.50 - 7.00 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1
1.50 - 1.50 - 7.00 - 1.50 - 1.50 - 1 - 1 - 1

And probably some other accidental combinations as well.

Also both ANSI and ISO Shift-L and Enter configurations are supported.  And both Caps Lock switch positions.

For this version, left function keys and top function keys share matrix positions, so it remains a "pick one" setup, although it will be modular.

The image of the PCB in CAD below shown the top function-key row elevated, but that is only for illustration.  I will pull those back down to the height of a Race/Pure PCB for production.  The left-side function keys will remain offset by .375".

(Attachment Link)
CAD image of GH75 PCB version 514J by samwisekoi

I am going to take some photos of the possible key configurations in a bit.

- Ron | samwisekoi
Show Image

So its gonna have a 2x5 block on the left? meh was hoping for a more "pure" 75%

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #60 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 11:58:18 »
are you going to add full LED support?
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines."

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #61 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 12:14:29 »
are you going to add full LED support?

Well that depends on what you mean by 'full LED support'.

I am doing a new layout with all keys separately placed on the matrix, so both side and top function-key blocks can be used.  At the same time I am running at least ground paths to every switch where an LED will fit.  (ISO support got in the way of some of them.)  I am wiring the Caps Lock LED, and could wires other keys or clusters, although I can't control very many of them individually.

I was going to prep a NumLock LED, the WASD cluster, the GH65 Escape/tilde key, perhaps the top row, and then let the user choose which they want to light up.  I am not sure about the value of the WASD cluster, since the board will have actual arrows.

Regardless, the plan is to make it as easy as possible for the builder to enable additional LED support by just adding a resistor and the hot leads.  Firmware will also be up to the user, since I am not much into lit keyboards myself.

How is that for an answer for the first version?

- Ron I samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #62 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 12:17:15 »
Sweet! I would love x4 1.5, 7.0 spacebar, and left/down/right arrows.

OK done.  Rev 514J of the PCB now has every bottom row configuration requested, although probably not as many as the GH60.

(Arrow keys in RED.)

1.25 - 1.25 - 1.25 - 6.25 - 1 - 1 - 1- 1 - 1 - 1
1.50 - 1 - 1.50 - 6.00 - 1 - 1 - 1- 1 - 1 - 1
1.50 - 1 - 1.50 - 7.00 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1
1.50 - 1.50 - 7.00 - 1.50 - 1.50 - 1 - 1 - 1

And probably some other accidental combinations as well.

Also both ANSI and ISO Shift-L and Enter configurations are supported.  And both Caps Lock switch positions.

The image of the PCB in CAD below shown the top function-key row elevated, but that is only for illustration.  I will pull those back down to the height of a Race/Pure PCB for production.  The left-side function keys will remain offset by .375".

(Attachment Link)
CAD image of GH75 PCB version 514J by samwisekoi

I am going to take some photos of the possible key configurations in a bit.

- Ron | samwisekoi
Show Image

So its gonna have a 2x5 block on the left? meh was hoping for a more "pure" 75%

A removable function-key block will be on the left.  A slice, a snap, and it is gone.  Hey presto, pure 75%.

- Ron I samwisekoi

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #63 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 13:03:39 »
As in a full led keyboard :-)
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines."

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline litster

• rare caps?! THAT'S A SMILIN
« Reply #64 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 16:58:53 »
samewisekoi, what stabilizers do you support?  I would like to see PCB-mount Cherry stabilizer support.  That would make an acrylic case design much more possible.  Are you going to use Teensy as the controller or something else?

Offline gimpster

« Reply #65 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 17:30:45 »
samewisekoi, what stabilizers do you support?  I would like to see PCB-mount Cherry stabilizer support.  That would make an acrylic case design much more possible.  Are you going to use Teensy as the controller or something else?

Pfft...acrylic cases. :P Sure would be nice to be able put this bad boy in a heavyweight aluminum case. That said, I think PCB stabilizers would make the design the most flexible. I also like using PCB-mount switches with a plate...makes for a super rigid keyboard.
-Ryan

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #66 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 09:16:02 »
Yes to all things gimpster said! Sherry has mentioned a aluminum case for 75% and numerous other layouts.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #67 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 22:32:04 »
Quick update.

I went back to the drawing board to re-do all the traces on the board.  I am not finished yet, but here are the changes in the current working version:

1)  All switches are individually placed on the matrix.

2)  Height of board will match Race/Pure cases.

3)  I ran double-wide traces to every LED on the board, and will push power and ground to all of them, with a PWM pin for brightness control.

That's right, the GH75 will be full LED-capable.  Max of 95 programmable, backlit keys.  Or, snap it down to just a 65% board.  Someone else will have to do LED-control firmware, but the board will be ready.

I had to give up PCB-mount stabilizers to fit that all in, so the board will require a plate, which means Cherry or Costar plate-mount stabilizers.  The plates I've designed have the spiffy combo mounts.

Below is an UNFINISHED board layout.  Note the LED wiring at position D3 -- that will be replicated at every key location.

22583-0
Unfinished GH75 PCB layout version 517K by samwisekoi.

More to do.  This was not a simple matrix, so it will not be done for a week or so.

FYI,

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline Skull_Angel

« Reply #68 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 05:46:43 »
If I understand what I'm seeing/reading, the new left-hand function block is now usable with the top function-row? Great design you've got cooking up, I can't wait to get a good look at it let alone one for myself.

Offline JPG

« Reply #69 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 06:16:25 »
Quick update.

I went back to the drawing board to re-do all the traces on the board.  I am not finished yet, but here are the changes in the current working version:

3)  I ran double-wide traces to every LED on the board, and will push power and ground to all of them, with a PWM pin for brightness control.

That's right, the GH75 will be full LED-capable.  Max of 95 programmable, backlit keys.  Or, snap it down to just a 65% board.  Someone else will have to do LED-control firmware, but the board will be ready.

I had to give up PCB-mount stabilizers to fit that all in, so the board will require a plate, which means Cherry or Costar plate-mount stabilizers.  The plates I've designed have the spiffy combo mounts.

Below is an UNFINISHED board layout.  Note the LED wiring at position D3 -- that will be replicated at every key location.

(Attachment Link)

More to do.  This was not a simple matrix, so it will not be done for a week or so.

FYI,

- Ron | samwisekoi
Show Image

WOW, amazing Sam. Can't wait for this now  :eek:

Offline NthTier

« Reply #70 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 08:53:48 »
Quick update.

(Attachment Link)

FYI,

- Ron | samwisekoi
Show Image

Simply amazing work! I cannot wait to be able to but a kit.  ;D

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #71 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 09:17:23 »
If I understand what I'm seeing/reading, the new left-hand function block is now usable with the top function-row? Great design you've got cooking up, I can't wait to get a good look at it let alone one for myself.

Thanks.  You are reading this correctly.  I hadn't intended for the board to be used in its entirety, but it certainly can be.

I'll try and put the PCB-mount stab holes back in, but no promises.  I prefer them myself.  The board will be socketed for a Teensy, mostly so surface-mount soldering is not required.  However, because it is socketed and well-documented, there is nothing stopping someone from using a different daughter board.  I did put the controller at the top of the PCB so it won't make for a really tall spacebar.

Also, someone mentioned using PCB-mount switches and a plate.  I like that too, so except for two spots, I have provided holes for PCB-mounted switches.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline gimpster

« Reply #72 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 09:39:51 »
The board will be socketed for a Teensy, mostly so surface-mount soldering is not required.

Are you married to the Teensy solution? It's such a pain to get that soldered onto the board so the switches sit flush...the SMD chips are so much smaller and only adds a few dollars to the price when you get them pre-soldered during manufacturing. Then it's just a matter of placing your switches and diodes you're done. ;)
-Ryan

Offline Bullveyr

« Reply #73 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 09:51:29 »

Thanks.  You are reading this correctly.  I hadn't intended for the board to be used in its entirety, but it certainly can be.
Fantastic. :)

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #74 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 10:23:42 »
The board will be socketed for a Teensy, mostly so surface-mount soldering is not required.

Are you married to the Teensy solution? It's such a pain to get that soldered onto the board so the switches sit flush...the SMD chips are so much smaller and only adds a few dollars to the price when you get them pre-soldered during manufacturing. Then it's just a matter of placing your switches and diodes you're done. ;)

Just for the prototypes, anyhow.  A few dollars in volume, but many more constraints and lead time.

I am going to socket the controller on the backside, so there should not be mounting issues.  But of course, that is what prototyping is for!

I also have to source and place the LED controller, and will use a through-hole version of that as well.

However, this is prototyping, and all of these components have SMD versions, so who can say for production?

Right now my focus is on shortest-time-to-working-prototypes.  I will consider other packaging for future versions.

Fair?

- Ron I samwisekoi

Offline gimpster

« Reply #75 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 11:53:34 »
Totally fair, and I really appreciate all the work you're putting into this. You're building the keyboard I've been waiting for someone to build, so I'm just happy about that. :)
-Ryan

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #76 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 12:30:24 »
I could be the "user friendly" tester... You know, the guy that has no clue what he is doing!

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #77 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 20:00:45 »
Full LED boards are the devil.  Keyboards of Satan.  Wiring for miles and miles.  Resistors everywhere and a MOSFET the size of a bumblebee for PWM.  Grrrr.

I'm putting down the traces, but I absolutely see why they are not on the GH60.

Now if we could get 12v or more to the keyboard, then we could do some stuff!  This round it will be 96 LEDs in your choice of brightness via PWM.

And I am trying to put PCB mounting holes in place for Cherry stabs.  ANSI only.  Gotta draw the line somewhere.

- Ron I samwisekoi

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #78 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 21:03:38 »
This is looking awesome.  Keep up the good work.

Offline calavera

« Reply #79 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 23:08:43 »
Awesome stuff. What was the reason behind adding two rows to the left ala kmac mini style?

Offline inteli722

• Waiting for too much stuff...
« Reply #80 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 07:37:12 »
Awesome stuff. What was the reason behind adding two rows to the left ala kmac mini style?

It looks cool...I don't think there's any real reason (not) to have it!
More

Visit the Typing Test and try!
R.I.P. SmallFry! You will be dearly missed.
Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues
Waiting for: Phantom Plate

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #81 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 09:44:26 »

I started this to provide some programmable options between 60% and TKL, mostly because I always miss arrow keys.  But since some people want a 65% AND function keys, the left block was suggested, and hey, it is cool and different.

Now, having stared at this layout in CAD for 80 hours, I have to say that an ISO 65% plus those left function keys will be pretty sweet, and a nice middle-ground form factor.  Function keys on the left and a big old retro Enter on the right above the arrow cluster.

THAT is what a configurable layout can provide!

- Ron I samwisekoi

Offline inteli722

« Reply #82 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 19:41:11 »

I started this to provide some programmable options between 60% and TKL, mostly because I always miss arrow keys.  But since some people want a 65% AND function keys, the left block was suggested, and hey, it is cool and different.

Now, having stared at this layout in CAD for 80 hours, I have to say that an ISO 65% plus those left function keys will be pretty sweet, and a nice middle-ground form factor.  Function keys on the left and a big old retro Enter on the right above the arrow cluster.

THAT is what a configurable layout can provide!

- Ron I samwisekoi

FC660C is a wide mini layout? It has nothing on this!
More

Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues

Offline Arcturus

« Reply #83 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 19:22:43 »
This honestly looks like my absolute dream keyboard. Very excited! An ISO option is the icing on the cake for me.
« Last Edit: Wed, 22 May 2013, 19:29:26 by Arcturus »

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #84 on: Fri, 24 May 2013, 08:03:47 »
Whipped up some Pixel Art of the GH75 family...

GH75 Layout Family by samwisekoi

All switch-position choices (e.g. ISO or 150 mods) can be mixed and matched however you (and your plate designer) like them.

- Ron | samwisekoi
« Last Edit: Fri, 24 May 2013, 08:11:47 by samwisekoi »

Offline inteli722

« Reply #85 on: Fri, 24 May 2013, 15:15:44 »
I definitely prefer the new GH70 to the old GH70. This is looking very good. I really can't wait to see this, and as long as I don't have to do any SMD soldering, I might be able to beta test a board. I have (to pay for) an MX Black board that will be coming in, so I could switch-harvest that.s
More

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #86 on: Sat, 25 May 2013, 08:33:19 »
OK, GH80 do want!

Great work so far, dude.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #87 on: Sun, 26 May 2013, 18:31:00 »
I need to do something smaller for an Alpha test, so I made up a GH75_PAD using the Nuclear Winter Num Pad as an inspiration.

The PCB supports normal numpad layout plus four extra keys, a Retro layout plus four extra keys, or -- just for fun and because it might look cool with Nuclear Green keycaps -- a Retro layout plus three big LEDs up at the top.  Num Lock and the Escape position also have LEDs.  The other keys do NOT have LED support.

All five LEDs are independently controlled, and the entire thing is fully programmable.  Oh, the Enter key can be split as well, and will come with a Dollar sign above Enter in firmware (but of course you can change that.)

Cherry PCB-mount stabilizers are supported.

And I think what it needs for a housing is one of Matt3o's all-steel monsters.

23380-0
GH75_PAD Layout Options by samwisekoi

All-black PCB:

23382-1
GH75_PAD v526G Alpha by samwisekoi

[edit]
Chunky case, mostly steel with Delrin (POM) for the body/sides.  Big chunk of steel for a base, with felt or rubber bumpers to protect the desk.

23399-2
GH75_PAD Desk Case by samwisekoi
[/edit]

Anyone interested in an Alpha programmable keypad?

- Ron | samwisekoi
« Last Edit: Sun, 26 May 2013, 22:22:30 by samwisekoi »

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #88 on: Sun, 26 May 2013, 19:20:44 »
As a complement to my ErgoDox, absolutely!!! I'm assuming it would be possible to wire it up like a std ten key on a full size board (no extra keys, big enter and big +)?

Offline JPG

« Reply #89 on: Sun, 26 May 2013, 19:34:47 »
Do you expect there will be a plate that can be converted as a case (with folding) like for the GH65++?

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #90 on: Sun, 26 May 2013, 19:42:13 »
Do you expect there will be a plate that can be converted as a case (with folding) like for the GH65++?

Yes, I'll probably make one in the exact profile of the GH75.

As a complement to my ErgoDox, absolutely!!! I'm assuming it would be possible to wire it up like a std ten key on a full size board (no extra keys, big enter and big +)?

Yes, although the PCB has six rows like the GH75 -- this is a test for that design, after all.  Other than that, if you put on normal ten-key caps, it will work as expected.

- Ron I samwisekoi

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #91 on: Mon, 03 June 2013, 10:08:47 »
Another week, another re-layout of the PCB.  The previous versions' traces were unattractive IMHO, so I started afresh.  This is probably the version of which I will  make up to 10 alpha prototype boards.

Current features (as of v.529e):

- 10x10 switch matrix - all switches addressable.
- Controller daughterboard relocated to allow USB connections from left side, top left, or top center.
- Cherry PCB-mount stabilizers supported in ANSI positions.
- Full 18x6 layout can be sliced into the following configurations:
* GH80:  18x6, requires custom case
* GH75:  16x6 to fit Race cases (no left function keys)
* GH70:  18x5, requires custom case (no top function keys)
* GH65:  16x5, requires custom case (no top OR left function keys)
* GH55:  15x5 to fit Poker cases  (no top OR left function keys, no arrow cluster or right navigation keys)

LED support at this version is as follows:
- All switches drilled for LEDs
- All switches drilled for LED resistors
- Traces planned but not yet run to all LED positions
- CAPS LED enabled on a PWM circuit
- WASD and Tilde LEDs enabled on a PWM circuit, primarily for use in GH55 mode as on the Poker.

Switch positions supported:
- ANSI
- ANSI with 1.75 + 1 in R-Shift position
- ISO L-Shift +1
- ISO Enter +1
NOTE: All keys with multiple placements share a single matrix position.  e.g. ISO Enter and ANSI Enter are both located at matrix position B8.
- Left mods:
* 1 - 1 - 1 (Epsilon mode)
* 1.25 - 1.25 - 1.25 (ANSI mode)
* 1.5 - 1 - 1.5 (Cherry mode)
- Right mods:
* 1 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1 (GH75 mode)
* 1.25 - 1.25 - 1.25 - 1.25 - 1 (ANSI mode)
* 1.5 - 1.5 - 1 - 1 - 1 (Cherry mode)
- Spacebars:
* 6.00 (Hybrid mode)
* 6.25 (ANSI mode)
* 7.00 (Cherry mode)
NOTE: There are four supported spacebar positions to enable hybrid modifier combinations.

Contoller daughterboard pin assignments:

Connector X2:
GND: Ground
0-3:   Columns 0-3
4:  Caps Lock LED (or LED1 in future versions)  This is B7/PWM on a Teensy 2.0.
5-10:   Columns 4-9

Connector X1:
VCC: VCC (+5v)
21-16: Rows A-F
15: WASD/Tilde LED (or LED2 in future versions)  This is B6/PWM on a Teensy 2.0.
14-11: Rows G-J

I want a daughterboard controller to allow liberation.  There is room in the design to fit connectors for a Teensy++ 2.0, in case anyone needs another 20 pins, perhaps for LED control.  I may possibly utilize oversize connectors in a future design to enable either an LED control daughter board or the use of a Teensy++ 2.0 for that purpose.  I have no specific plans along those lines at this time.

TL;DR: The Alpha PCB layout is near-complete.  It supports 5 board sizes, lots of switch position options, and some LEDs now, with plans for full LED support in the next rev.

FYI,

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline Moosecraft

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #92 on: Mon, 03 June 2013, 10:30:20 »
Crazy work, this is such an insane pcb. You can almost do anything with it :D
I am bigfatmc over at other places!

Offline Bullveyr

« Reply #93 on: Mon, 03 June 2013, 11:27:30 »
Pretty awesome.

Offline Skull_Angel

« Reply #94 on: Mon, 03 June 2013, 19:51:13 »
Another redesign and it seems even more amazing.

Have you given much more thought to having displaced caps/number/scroll/function/ect. LEDs? I notice the row you had setup on a previous revision is now gone.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #95 on: Mon, 03 June 2013, 19:55:40 »
Another redesign and it seems even more amazing.

Have you given much more thought to having displaced caps/number/scroll/function/ect. LEDs? I notice the row you had setup on a previous revision is now gone.

Thanks.

That was a numpad that I designed as a testbed only.  It got no love, so I moved back to the big board.  I may get back to that at some point, but not right now.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline Skull_Angel

« Reply #96 on: Mon, 03 June 2013, 20:07:57 »
Thanks.

That was a numpad that I designed as a testbed only.  It got no love, so I moved back to the big board.  I may get back to that at some point, but not right now.

- Ron | samwisekoi
Show Image

Ah, alright. My concern was that I get the itch to swap around modifier keys on occasion and having displaced indicator LEDs is just convenient; doing a bit of ghetto wiring is no problem though, haha.

Offline rDuck

« Reply #97 on: Tue, 04 June 2013, 05:36:13 »
Not gonna lie this is more and more sounding like the perfect keyboard, cant wait to get my hands on a set!

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #98 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 10:46:04 »
This is so freaking awesome!

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #99 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 16:16:02 »
Such a nice board, such a small Moogle.

24459-0
GH75 with most of a Cherry set.

This is the GH75 with Cherry keycaps. As you can see, this plate needs a 4-key Moogle to be complete.  (It is hard-wired.)  But the actual board would be able to work with a pair of 1.50 mods and a 7.00 spacebar OR 1.50 - 1 - 1.50 mods and a 6.00 spacebar.

But for the moment I am looking for a partial Moogle to match my Cherry D/S keycaps.

-Ron | samwisekoi