Author Topic: [IC] CLASSIC SPACE - SA with Custom Font - MD Poll Up!  (Read 119624 times)

Offline harlw

Re: [IC] CLASSIC SPACE - SA ABS Keycaps (Custom Font - New Renders)
« Reply #200 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 10:01:53 »
Any thoughts on how/where you are going to run this?

The current plan has been Massdrop, but only after we've attempted to get the font produced. I'll be starting a thread on the font before end of November, and if all goes well, we'll go forward with this set as soon as possible. At that point we'll also evaluate the GB options again.

I've ordered some more color chips to match the grey, white and yellow better. The red, blue, black and clear yellow are set, as they are definitely the closest matching colours in SP's active list.

Interestingly enough, LEGO changed a number of the colours used around 2004 or so, so I've had to dig out some old LEGO pieces to compare with.

If you do run Massdrop, maybe this could be the first thisiscamper/harlw mock-up madness collab :D
...I suppose it could be either way  ::)

Sure! Although Oobly already has nice 3D renders for the set... I suppose a Manly Unicorn collaboration will be the real madness :D

Well, if you trust me I don't think you'll regret it.  :D
I mostly want to display your vnice work better. It's hard to explain what I mean, I would have to just show you.
Ergodox (x2), V.EA Clone, Tada68, Atreus XL, Planck, Model M 70% Mod

Offline 00zeRO

• mechanicalkeyboards.com
  • * Commercial Vendor
  • The 00verseer of Vault 77
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #201 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 10:37:07 »
Any thoughts on how/where you are going to run this?

The current plan has been Massdrop, but only after we've attempted to get the font produced. I'll be starting a thread on the font before end of November, and if all goes well, we'll go forward with this set as soon as possible. At that point we'll also evaluate the GB options again.

I've ordered some more color chips to match the grey, white and yellow better. The red, blue, black and clear yellow are set, as they are definitely the closest matching colours in SP's active list.

Interestingly enough, LEGO changed a number of the colours used around 2004 or so, so I've had to dig out some old LEGO pieces to compare with.

If you do run Massdrop, maybe this could be the first thisiscamper/harlw mock-up madness collab :D
...I suppose it could be either way  ::)

Sure! Although Oobly already has nice 3D renders for the set... I suppose a Manly Unicorn collaboration will be the real madness :D

I mostly want to display your vnice work better. It's hard to explain what I mean, I would have to just show you.

Maybe link the banner you created for OotV Series III?
Daily Driver: Typist A w/Midnight Dawn | Kailh BOX Clicks

Junktown 2: Now on eBay!

Offline harlw

« Reply #202 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 11:15:11 »

Here you go http://i.imgur.com/dhzv0DO.jpg
Ergodox (x2), V.EA Clone, Tada68, Atreus XL, Planck, Model M 70% Mod

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #203 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 12:22:24 »

Ahh yes I remember this, this is awesome! Definitely looking forward to a collaboration. :)

"haters are confused admirers"

Offline 00zeRO

• mechanicalkeyboards.com
  • * Commercial Vendor
  • The 00verseer of Vault 77
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #204 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 12:23:01 »

^ This guy is a Graphics Guru; a Rendering Rockstar...you get the point.  :))
Daily Driver: Typist A w/Midnight Dawn | Kailh BOX Clicks

Junktown 2: Now on eBay!

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #205 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 12:45:24 »

Love the look of that banner, its too bad the sale never went forward.
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #206 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 20:29:08 »
Idea just popped into my head: if krytone would be willing to do some of his lego artisans as bonuses with this keyset that would be super cool. (like how binge did them with Zealios and they're being done with skidata).
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline Glenmael

« Reply #207 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 20:46:34 »
Idea just popped into my head: if krytone would be willing to do some of his lego artisans as bonuses with this keyset that would be super cool. (like how binge did them with Zealios and they're being done with skidata).

That is genius!

Offline Zanduby

« Reply #208 on: Thu, 12 November 2015, 15:51:54 »
I have money set aside now for this set. I cannot wait! My trans-blue Ducky One is going to love this set.

Offline zoggynog

« Reply #209 on: Sun, 29 November 2015, 16:28:06 »
My thoughts as a novice mech keyboard guy, enthusiast lego guy (AFOL).

First off, as currently designed I am in for a set.  Great job on everything already done.  A few opinions (since you asked for them):

1.  Color is going to be key here.  Many folks will want to build keyboard cases form Lego to house this keycap set. 

Lego blue has been blue since always.  Light grey however, had a major overhaul in 2003.  I don't know what your limitations are color match wise, but I hope you do your best to match to the "old light grey".  It is a more yellowed, and very 80's color compared to the "new light (blue) grey".

by Ryan H., on Flickr

http://www.newelementary.com/2015/03/lego-colour-chart-reference.html is an awesome reference by the blog New Elementary.  Pantone, RGB, and CMYK are detailed for each color.

2.  The font usage is certainly tricky.  On a lego model, I am only aware of it being used on a blue brick in white for ship names.  It  tends to be more bold.  I see why you are making the choices you are, just something to think about.  Have you tried white on the grey keys?  Doubleshot trans yellow?

3.  I think the classic space logo in lieu of the WIN key would be a more attractive option.  It would allow for a Trans Yellow spacebar or a LL-928 logo.  Of course, this is all modifier territory.

4.  Artisan keys would be great!

5.  Trans-Yellow modifier keycaps are looking really good.  I saw someone complain they weren't neon enough.  That person is confusing their blacktron II with their classic space/blacktron I.

6.  Up/down/left/right arrows would be a whole lot cooler if they matched the exact look of the arrows used on LL-928. 

7.  Don't forget the use of a yellow/black/yellow theme when considering modifiers.  This sort of striping shows up in several classic space sets.  Might make for a cool numpad or function key layout.  Id suggest trans-red over solid red as well based on the previous modifier mockups.

Most of my thoughts stem from the aesthetics of the Galaxy Explorer (LL-928) http://brickset.com/sets/497-1, the crown jewel of Classic Space.

Offline Glenmael

« Reply #210 on: Sun, 29 November 2015, 16:48:50 »

First off, as currently designed I am in for a set.  Great job on everything already done.  A few opinions (since you asked for them):

1.  Color is going to be key here.  Many folks will want to build keyboard cases form Lego to house this keycap set. 

Lego blue has been blue since always.  Light grey however, had a major overhaul in 2003.  I don't know what your limitations are color match wise, but I hope you do your best to match to the "old light grey".  It is a more yellowed, and very 80's color compared to the "new light (blue) grey".

Show Image
by Ryan H., on Flickr

http://www.newelementary.com/2015/03/lego-colour-chart-reference.html is an awesome reference by the blog New Elementary.  Pantone, RGB, and CMYK are detailed for each color.

2.  The font usage is certainly tricky.  On a lego model, I am only aware of it being used on a blue brick in white for ship names.  It  tends to be more bold.  I see why you are making the choices you are, just something to think about.  Have you tried white on the grey keys?  Doubleshot trans yellow?

3.  I think the classic space logo in lieu of the WIN key would be a more attractive option.  It would allow for a Trans Yellow spacebar or a LL-928 logo.  Of course, this is all modifier territory.

5.  Trans-Yellow modifier keycaps are looking really good.  I saw someone complain they weren't neon enough.  That person is confusing their blacktron II with their classic space/blacktron I.

6.  Up/down/left/right arrows would be a whole lot cooler if they matched the exact look of the arrows used on LL-928. 

Show Image

7.  Don't forget the use of a yellow/black/yellow theme when considering modifiers.  This sort of striping shows up in several classic space sets.  Might make for a cool numpad or function key layout.  Id suggest trans-red over solid red as well based on the previous modifier mockups.

Most of my thoughts stem from the aesthetics of the Galaxy Explorer (LL-928) http://brickset.com/sets/497-1, the crown jewel of Classic Space.

Great first post, you certainly seem to know your lego :)

Just touching on the color options, you can get a rough understanding of what can be used by heading over to http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/ then:
1. Click on any key, i.e. Numlock
2. Click on Color Swatches -> Signature Plastics ABS
3. Colors will appear (and are selectable) below

:thumb:

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #211 on: Sun, 29 November 2015, 22:04:52 »

^ This guy is a Graphics Guru; a Rendering Rockstar...you get the point.  :))

Thesiscamper has quite the 3D chops too http://input.club/

Yeah, that K-Type keyboard on the page, is a render =O
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline CQ_Cumbers

« Reply #212 on: Sun, 29 November 2015, 22:34:16 »

Show Image
by Ryan H., on Flickr

Show Image

It's great to see other Lego fans on geekhack, and we always appreciate feedback, so thank you for the thoughtful post!

1. Color is certainly one of the most important parts of the set design, and Oobly is color matching chips of Signature Plastics' current inventory of ABS colors with bricks from the original 1980s sets (so old light gray). You can see a photograph of some of the chips below - most are close enough that I don't think most people will notice the difference. I have updated the plastic colors in the OP. Also keep in mind that this set will use a glossy finish, like lego bricks, on the alphas, rather than the semi-matte finish most keycap sets use. I actually did use the New Elementary color reference when choosing the colors in the original keyboard layout editor mockup, and the fact that the actual chips of those colors match so closely to the bricks is a tribute to the accuracy of their charts.

2. You are right about the font use on the original Lego sets, but there are practical concerns for keycaps. I think most people would prefer legends on the alphas. White on light gray is not nearly as legible here, and there are more later Lego sets (not Classic Space) with black stickers on gray bricks than white stickers on gray bricks. I'm not aware of any precedent for doubleshot trans yellow text, but we will try it in renders. We have thickened the font since making the render at the top of the thread, by the way, which is a bit outdated as recently we have been working especially hard on the font in order to get it into a form usable by Signature Plastics. It will later be made available for other keycap sets to use; Eurostile is a very commonly used font in science fiction and mid-century modern design in general, see the Valentine typewriter and HAL 9000's screens.

3. You can see on the keyboard layout editor mockup that the Classic Space logo WIN key is included in the novelties kit, as is a LL 928 logo key. The transparent yellow spacebar is included in the alternate modifiers set. If you have suggestions on changing how the child sets are organized, though, I'd love to hear it.

4. I don't know how to do a partership with artisan keycaps, but I'll ask Oobly and livingspeedbump about it.

5. Well, the transparent yellow Signature Plastics has is slightly darker than lego transparent yellow, but no, we are not doing the transparent neon green of blacktron II here.

6. I'm working on it! Keep in mind that it is difficult to get legends exact, though, because of the limitations of the mold cutting machines.

7. We have plans regarding the yellow/black/yellow theme, but I'd prefer to keep the set, or at least the base version, mostly in a few colors really evocative of Classic Space. While there were many colors used in the original sets, most were used in small quantities, and when people think of Classic Space they tend think of the gray, blue, and trans yellow. If you look at Neo Classic Space MOCs (I know they're not official, but they are a good representation of what people remember most about the original sets), smaller creations may lack yellow or black striping and trans green or trans red lights, but few will omit gray, blue, or trans yellow. I think we may create a "highlight key" set with the spacebar, backspace key, and escape key in trans blue, trans red, and trans green, though.

Offline neverused

Re: [IC] CLASSIC SPACE - SA ABS Keycaps
« Reply #213 on: Sun, 29 November 2015, 23:30:07 »
Is there any chance of a hhkb style backspace key in one of the kits?

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #214 on: Mon, 30 November 2015, 04:17:10 »
Just a few things to add to CQ-Cumbers' post:

I totally agree that colour matching is very important. Thank you for the reference, I have been aware of the changes in colours and have been using some well-preserved 1980's LEGO that I have as reference. Fortunately, Signature Plastics has a large range of colours, so I've been able to find very close matches. Some of the RGB values are a little off, either on the LEGO reference charts or the SP ABS charts, so the only way to get a perfect match is plastic to plastic. The most difficult colours to match have been yellow, white and grey. My first choices for the blue, red and black matched beautifully. I assumed the white was "whiter" than it really is, with WFK being too "pure white" with too much blue. WCK matches best. WFM and WFO are too dark, although WFO is a decent tone match. WCK is a little more "yellow" than the best preserved white pieces I can find, but it matches very well for the ever so slightly yellowed pieces and is still the closest match, even for brand new white pieces. For the grey, GGM is too "blue" and a bit too light, GTH is closest to the older yellower grey, with GTG also very close, but a little too dark. For yellow, it's been really hard to find a match. The closest in terms of the combination of tone and brightness is YCH, with YY not rich enough, YCE too light, YCF and YBP too dark. Unfortunately, postage takes a while from US to Finland, so every batch of colour chips I order has taken some time to arrive. Anyhow, here are some comparison images in addition to the one posted by CQ_Cumbers:

118663-0

The spacebar is a WCK one from the Penumbra Solarised kit.

118665-1

And a pic from Clicker showing a DCS cap in trans yellow:

One important difference is that our 1x and 2x trans yellow caps will be in gloss finish, so they should look even more like the pieces used in the sets. I've been meaning to take some more comparison pics and new renders with the new font, but my time has been limited. I also want to get a WA chip to compare in case it's decided we need to go with a purer white, but I suspect it will also turn out "too blue".

So our colours at the moment are:
White: WCK
Black: NN
Red: RA
Blue: BDH
Yellow: YCH
Grey: GTH
Trans yellow: YBR (polycarbonate)
Trans blue: BEW (polycarbonate)

About the font, Here's a render of the current state of the font that shows the current thickness:

118666-2

We'll be starting a separate thread for the font soon. CQ_Cumbers is making a new arrow legend to match the arrows on the ships. We'll most likely use the arrows shown in the render for the general font legends, but will use CQ_Cumbers one for this set (it's just one legend so it won't really raise the cost). The instruction booklets for the classic space sets also used Eurostile bold for the step numbers. In order to get the font legends to match the specifications for Signature Plastics' doubleshot molding technique we have had to use a slightly less bold version. It also increases the appeal of the font for more general use as an alternative to Gorton Modified and this is a factor we need to take into consideration for raising the funds to get the font legends cut.

Using trans polcarbonate for legends is possible, but has a number of associates issues. One is the legend support grids which give an uneven look to the legends:

118668-3

Another is the contrast. Unlit trans legends tend to look dark, lit ones look light. They seem to work best on lighter base colours (darker base colours make unlit legends look even darker since you can't see the material between the support grid as easily). They can definitely be made to work and we will look into it, but they can look ugly if either the wrong colour combination or legend shape and support grid type are used.

Bonus Artisans may be possible and we'll look into it. It's possible that colour matching will prove difficult, though, since they're made from different materials.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline zoggynog

« Reply #215 on: Mon, 14 December 2015, 02:02:43 »
CQ_Cumbers/Oobly,

Thanks for taking the time.  Any AFOL aware of these just went from "curious" to "must buy" based on your expanded explanations.

If I want to make absolutely sure I am in on these when they drop, what's my best course of action?  Keep monitoring this thread?

Great work both of you, can't wait to see these things on a keyboard.  Speaking of which, is there a recommended 65% keyboard kit you can build from the ground up?  I'm not too scared of a soldering iron and I'm going to lego build the case.  I'd be looking at 60% if it weren't for how cool those arrow keys should turn out.

Offline n0rvig

« Reply #216 on: Mon, 14 December 2015, 02:36:13 »
This is a great idea! Best of luck. It's awesome to see the attention to detail so far!

Offline lashiel

« Reply #217 on: Mon, 14 December 2015, 14:25:22 »
CQ_Cumbers/Oobly,

Thanks for taking the time.  Any AFOL aware of these just went from "curious" to "must buy" based on your expanded explanations.

If I want to make absolutely sure I am in on these when they drop, what's my best course of action?  Keep monitoring this thread?

Great work both of you, can't wait to see these things on a keyboard.  Speaking of which, is there a recommended 65% keyboard kit you can build from the ground up?  I'm not too scared of a soldering iron and I'm going to lego build the case.  I'd be looking at 60% if it weren't for how cool those arrow keys should turn out.

There's the White Fox on Massdrop right now. Otherwise the Neutrino is the other common one--however, I don't think the Neutrino has a PCB, so you'd have to handwire.

Offline CQ_Cumbers

Re: [IC] CLASSIC SPACE - SA ABS Keycap Set
« Reply #218 on: Tue, 29 December 2015, 08:54:49 »

The Space Extended interest check thread is up now! Please check out the (almost) final renders for Space Extended, a new font for SA doubleshot keycaps that this set will be the first to use. If you have any feedback, comments or suggestions for the font, or just want to show interest, please comment on that thread. If you have anything to say specifically about this set, please continue to comment here. Oobly is still unavailable for the moment, but I will continue to read and take into account feedback on both - the community interest and support is greatly appreciated!

Offline Jedi

« Reply #219 on: Tue, 29 December 2015, 09:43:44 »
I was looking at the latest layouts available via the keyboard editor.  Would the design team be willing to consider some extra 1u keys in the novtelties kit?  For some of us with those obnoxious nonstandard keyboards or those with standard 104+4 keys, you would make our sets whole with them.  A suggestion to keep costs low would be some text based keys.  For the latest carbon set there were some keys labeled "raise" and "lower" and "up" and "down" that I used to complete the G1 thru G6 keys.  I could also have used function keys and novelty picture keys but I wanted to reserve those for capping a 60% keyboard back at the pad. 

TLDR; 6 or 12 non-blank novelty 1U keys (either text or graphic) would be totally awesome :thumb:

Offline CQ_Cumbers

« Reply #220 on: Tue, 29 December 2015, 10:06:09 »
I was looking at the latest layouts available via the keyboard editor.  Would the design team be willing to consider some extra 1u keys in the novelties kit?  For some of us with those obnoxious nonstandard keyboards or those with standard 104+4 keys, you would make our sets whole with them.  A suggestion to keep costs low would be some text based keys.  For the latest carbon set there were some keys labeled "raise" and "lower" and "up" and "down" that I used to complete the G1 thru G6 keys.  I could also have used function keys and novelty picture keys but I wanted to reserve those for capping a 60% keyboard back at the pad. 

TLDR; 6 or 12 non-blank novelty 1U keys (either text or graphic) would be totally awesome :thumb:

We'll consider it, but text or graphic keys would both need custom doubleshot legends, which do cost money ($50 each). Which nonstandard layouts will be supported depends on how popular this set is, and how popular the particular layout is with the community.

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #221 on: Tue, 29 December 2015, 19:11:56 »
I have that LEGO set in OP! It's from when my older brother was a kid =]

Offline TheBestUkester

« Reply #222 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 17:05:08 »
Joined GH to say I will pay good hard earned money for this set.

Offline MoJoSto

« Reply #223 on: Tue, 05 January 2016, 13:27:52 »
I'm gettin' blue balls waiting for this thing to come to market!

Offline rpapp

« Reply #224 on: Sun, 17 January 2016, 11:46:49 »
Having checked the nonstandard set on the keyboard layout editor, I see it currently has H, U, N and T as extra alpha keys. Not sure why those specifically, but do you think it would be possible to add Z and Y, for rows 2 and 4 respectively (in order to make it possible to swap them). This would allow for QWERTZ layouts, at least the alpha part. I noticed that there are 2 things my muscle memory cannot let go of: ISO enter, and QWERTZ, so this would be quite helpful for me. I guess also for anyone else having used QWERTZ all their lives. Not sure if there are many of us around at Geekhack, but still, this would be nice.

Offline Dernubenfrieken

« Reply #225 on: Sun, 17 January 2016, 13:34:05 »
Having checked the nonstandard set on the keyboard layout editor, I see it currently has H, U, N and T as extra alpha keys. Not sure why those specifically, but do you think it would be possible to add Z and Y, for rows 2 and 4 respectively (in order to make it possible to swap them). This would allow for QWERTZ layouts, at least the alpha part. I noticed that there are 2 things my muscle memory cannot let go of: ISO enter, and QWERTZ, so this would be quite helpful for me. I guess also for anyone else having used QWERTZ all their lives. Not sure if there are many of us around at Geekhack, but still, this would be nice.

I beleive HUNT is for colemak/dvorak homing keys. This is all row 3 SA, so you'll have no trouble moving keys around for QWERTZ, AZERTY, etc.

Offline rpapp

« Reply #226 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 09:37:10 »

I beleive HUNT is for colemak/dvorak homing keys. This is all row 3 SA, so you'll have no trouble moving keys around for QWERTZ, AZERTY, etc.

OK thanks! I missed the "all row 3 SA" part - and suddenly a lot of other conversations in the thread make more sense :)

Offline regack

« Reply #227 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 20:04:51 »
I really want this to happen... 

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #228 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 02:08:34 »
Please tell me this is still in the works!

Offline regack

« Reply #229 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 15:29:52 »
Please tell me this is still in the works!

I gather that Classic Space won't happen until after the Space Extended font funding goes through.

Offline CQ_Cumbers

« Reply #230 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 15:02:08 »
The Classic Space keycap set and the Space Extended font project have not been in active development for the past 6 months, because of lack of time to work on it for Oobly and, to a lesser extent, me as well. I'm not sure when, if ever, we will have enough time, effort, and money to create a new SA font, so I am considering shelving the Space Extended project for the forseeable future. However, it may still be possible for me to run the Classic Space set without a custom font, which would make it a considerably smaller and more feasible, if less ambitious, project. This would required updated renders of the set (I'd be grateful if someone with the skills to make them would pm me), but since most of the set design details (colors, profile, finish) are already pretty solid, it might not take as long to get .

So, are you interested in a Classic Space set without the custom font? The other details would stay the same - all ABS SA R3, glossy alphas, trans yellow polycarbonate backspace and esc keys, same color scheme - but the legends would be in standard SP "Gorton Modified", not the Eurostile-inspired custom legends shown in earlier renders. If you think the set still sounds attractive, please tell me; if the custom font was your main interest and the lack of it is a deal breaker, please tell me as well. Any sort of feedback is appreciated.

Offline CQ_Cumbers

« Reply #231 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 15:05:14 »
sorry double post

Offline nateth

« Reply #232 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 15:14:12 »
To be frank and honest it's a deal breaker. I like the colorway and transparent keys, but the font is what really stood out to me.

Would help from others allow for this project to move along, or is that not a factor?

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #233 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 15:14:34 »
i reaaaally want to get behind this project, but I couldn't do all R3. best of luck

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #234 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 16:34:38 »
This whole projects interest was mainly around the custom font, and to no longer have that will be a massive bummer to many. Colors are quite subtle and nice though.

Offline CQ_Cumbers

« Reply #235 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 16:49:20 »
To be frank and honest it's a deal breaker. I like the colorway and transparent keys, but the font is what really stood out to me.

Would help from others allow for this project to move along, or is that not a factor?

The custom font is a pretty immense undertaking that would not make sense for only this set. We'd need to fundraise >$6000 (no small task), and the design of the font, while pretty close to finalized, would still need work so that all the legends can be manufactured correctly - which requires a good understanding of SP's CNC milling capabilities, thin-wall injection molding limitations, etc. If the primary interest is in the font and not in this set in particular, it may not make sense to continue working on cut down version of "Classic Space", but "Space Extended" is really not going to happen without Oobly. It was mostly his work - without him, it is both too big a project for me and not in my area of expertise.
« Last Edit: Tue, 02 August 2016, 21:42:06 by CQ_Cumbers »

Offline CQ_Cumbers

« Reply #236 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 21:41:51 »
i reaaaally want to get behind this project, but I couldn't do all R3. best of luck

Most of the first few pages of this thread were spent discussing different keycap profiles and the trade-offs involved, before creating a new doubleshot ABS font was even considered a possibility. The consensous back then seemed to be that SA Row 3 profile in glossy doubleshot ABS without a custom font was more thematically appropriate for a Lego-themed set, rather than PBT DSA dyesub with a custom font, because:

1) Legos are made from ABS,
2) SA Row 3 feels more like lego bricks than DSA or sculpted SA
3) white text on blue mods is more readable than black on blue
4) SP's ABS colors more closely match the colors of the original bricks

Now, with doubleshot ABS in a custom font off the table, it might be a good idea to come back to this discussion. So, which would you prefer - doubleshot SA ABS with Gorton Modified, or PBT dyseub DSA with the custom font? Keep in mind that changing to PBT would require changing the colors used, and changing to SA sculpted would require reconfiguring the child deals.

I understand that the audience for this set is a lot smaller without a revolutionary new doubleshot SA font, but are there still those interested for the sake of the color scheme? Perhaps I understimated the number of Lego Classic Space fans on geekhack?
« Last Edit: Tue, 02 August 2016, 22:02:53 by CQ_Cumbers »

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #237 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 23:06:45 »
I was in it for the trans yellow caps and he silver caps tbh. Font or no font I love the color way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Dr_Alphabet

« Reply #238 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 23:23:46 »
I was in it for the trans yellow caps and he silver caps tbh. Font or no font I love the color way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm starting to think you have good taste, snail... I was just just about to comment on those translucent yellow accents. I wasn't around for this sets start but the colors grab me much more than the font. I hope the naysayers see the value in this without the font or better yet someone helps bring them both to life

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Look at me. Look at me. Look what I can do. I'm amazing - Peter Gabriel

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #239 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 01:40:36 »
Is there any way you could open source the project? Surely Oobly is replaceable, if not by a single person, then by an army :)

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #240 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 02:50:41 »
im loving the color scheme on this,

im a bit confused because there are two sets on the first post

but please make this happen. Please.  :D

Offline CQ_Cumbers

« Reply #241 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 10:57:51 »
Is there any way you could open source the project? Surely Oobly is replaceable, if not by a single person, then by an army :)

I think it would be best for "Space Extended" to wait for Oobly to come back, as he had the font legend files, so an open source project wouldn't really have much to work off of. There would also still be the major hurdle of running a fundraiser for >$6,000, then ordering a prototype set, fixing any cosmetic problems, and repeat, before "Classic Space" with custom legends could run. Even with other people involved, it would still be an enormous project that I couldn't really help much with, and I'd rather not delay "Classic Space" for more months, when I will probably have even less time to work on it. Unless Oobly suddenly gets much less busy, I don't think running Classic Space SA with custom legends is an option at this point.

Basically, it's like any other interest check now - I'm interested in whether you'd buy the set for the color scheme and the novelties / accent keys. Feedback on sculpted / R3 / DSA or child deals is appreciated. If there's still a big enough audience for it, I'd like to run this set on Massdrop.

Offline CQ_Cumbers

« Reply #242 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 11:01:47 »
Really sorry about the double posts.
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 August 2016, 11:03:48 by CQ_Cumbers »

Offline Data

« Reply #243 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 12:11:39 »
Classic Space in Gorton Modifed font (in lieu of Space Extended) is too similar to 7bit's Round 5 to be of much interest to me, sadly.  I'm already heavily invested in Round 6.

It seems that the reasonable course of action would be to concentrate on the font first, if at all possible, and then feature it in the new key set.  If you could combine them in some way, with the key set helping to subsidize the cost of the new legends, that would be ideal.  But I understand that's an enormous amount of work.

Offline RELLIK

• WTB Bro Power Core WASD Set...Still...
« Reply #244 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 17:39:46 »
Just curious, any intention to offer trans yellow caps for LED keys? (Caps/SCroll Lock)

KUL-87        FC660M       Filco MJ2

Offline MikeTheTiger

« Reply #245 on: Thu, 04 August 2016, 21:37:00 »
I love and want the color scheme. I think all SA R3 would fit the "blockyness" of Lego. The custom font would be nice, but if this seems out of reach right now, I would hate to see this set not move forward.

Offline nicx

« Reply #246 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 11:56:28 »
Wish it wasn't dsa!

Offline MediocreBadGuy23

« Reply #247 on: Fri, 12 August 2016, 09:33:58 »
So what's the status of this set dropping?

Offline Ouhei

« Reply #248 on: Fri, 12 August 2016, 13:41:58 »
This set looks really cool. I think staying SA so you can keep the colors/textures is better than going to DSA for the font. The transparent Yellow really makes the set, IMO.

Offline Dominathan

• Too many keyboards? Not enough hands.
« Reply #249 on: Sat, 13 August 2016, 04:40:14 »
Oh god yes!