Author Topic: DSA Retro Set (SHIPPED!)  (Read 1702053 times)

Offline regack

Re: DSA Retro Set (production finished!)
« Reply #1150 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 09:11:21 »

(descrptive text of the great work by all involved)

- Ron | samwisekoi
Show Image

This is the best group buy ever.

Offline GeorgeK

« Reply #1151 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 09:14:26 »
Wow - that's service!
Black Filco TKL - Stickered, Lubed Reds || Poker w/Plate, Alu Case -  Stickered, Lubed 65g Ergo-Clears || Cherry G80-3700 w/SS Plate - Lubed 65g Ergo-Clears

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #1152 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 09:15:19 »
Show Image

Let's not forget Matt3o. It was his measuring and checking that helped sort this ordeal out.

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #1153 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 09:19:08 »
Gawd bless you fine gentlemen.

Offline fydo

• Meow!
DSA Retro Set (production finished!)
« Reply #1154 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 09:27:28 »
Wow, you guys are amazing. This is excellent news!
CoolerMaster Quickfire Rapid | Ducky Shine II (White LED)

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • "DO NOT BRING YOUR EVIL HERE." -Swamp Thing
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #1155 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 09:29:57 »
This also paves the way for more DSA profile GBs in the future; not just at GH, but elsewhere. It also reflects well on SP, that they were willing to 'make things right'. So, if I read this correctly:

Quote from: samwisekoi
The 2.25 and 2.75 keycaps were over-large and out of spec.  On some keyboards they work fine, but on keyboards that closely follow the Cherry specs, they bind against edges and adjacent keycaps.  On your Poker or Pure?  Fine.  On your Filco.  Nope.  won't work.

This could be an unexpected boon to Poker and Pure owners, yes? Hello aftermarket! I say donate some of that lettuce back to the GB organizers if they're running low on green, or to cover unexpected expenses. That wouldn't be a requirement, but I think it would be a nice gesture.

Question: how would a Ducky stack up in terms of 'fit' -- Poker or Pure, or more of a Filco?
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
Quote from: Samuel Adams
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline Lighthouse1

« Reply #1156 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 14:12:37 »
How cool! This is going to be such a good looking well fitting key set.

Nice one by the GB guys and SP.

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #1157 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 14:58:38 »
By some bizarre coincidence, my keyboard was DSA Retro-fied by Italian- and Seattle-based elves. No wimpy tenkeyless setups for me, no sir.

20810-0
Very tightly boxed. There was very little room left in the box, but nothing arrived crushed.
20812-1
Finally, the upskirt photos I was looking for! As promised, these are a nice thickness.
20814-2
I started with the numpad on my Ducky SE with MX Greens. I like the Retro-numpad with SP stock black-on-white as-is. Makes it look like I've got an old-fashioned numpad alongside a modern 'board. Keycaps are fitting nicely, no issues. Yes, the '6' and the '9' are a bit confusing, but not terribly so.
20816-3
Something else -- I was expected the profile to be a bit lower than the DCS -- it doesn't seem to be so. Or it's not very noticeable. Keyfeel is great. The spacebar was a bit tricky to get right, but after a few tries, it's working fine.
20818-4
Full placement of keys. Go-go potato pic! Great choice of colors, Matt and Sam, I'm loving the way it looks. I got a brown alpha set, and the Commodore kit, so I'll play around with that more when I'm home tonight. I'm going to try this set out on a tan/pearl colored keyboard and see how it looks.
20820-5
Potato pic #2 -- you'll notice here that the left Shift is sticking a bit. I think this may be a mistake on my part, so I'm going to play around with it a bit more. So far this is the ONLY key to stick (aside from the spacebar) so I think it just needs some warming up or repositioning until it work properly.

This set looks and feels sick on MX Greens. The keys feel very slightly unstable, but I think that can remedied with some plumber's tape if it starts to annoy me -- but I doubt it will. A set this awesome looking is worth a little extra work, in my opinion.

I will post more later tonight after dinner.

Sam, Matt, take a bow, you earned it.
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #1158 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 15:01:53 »
LOL, moments later I fixed the Shift key, no issues now.
More

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #1159 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 15:11:17 »
wtb my order of caps.  Oh wait.

Offline Turbo Slaab

« Reply #1160 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 15:13:03 »
Oh man. I should of ordered the plum mods.
Looking for CC's!

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
DSA Retro Set (production finished!)
« Reply #1161 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 15:21:27 »
Now we know what Krogenar has on his desk at work. Office Space red Swingline stapler, Nortel phone, Filco 104 (formerly with black on white DS set from SP), IBM Model M.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #1162 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 15:25:02 »

Awesome first-owner shots.  Thanks, Krogenar!

I'm glad the original Shift keys worked for you.  I'll send you your Errata kit by regular mail instead of Priority or overnight.  Also, I am very glad that such a full box arrived safely.  You see what I mean about full.  Again, thanks for the photos and the kind words.

FYI, all color choice and other design kudos go to Matt3o.

Also, It is entirely possible that another recipient of one of our early test shipments will be able to post more photos on Monday.  At least that is what UPS tells me.  And who knows, there may be a surprise or two yet to be revealed in this thread.   :cool:

Packing party tomorrow.  Everything is here for that, and I hope to have everything out of here next week.

Cheers,

- Ron | samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #1163 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 15:26:56 »
I am legitimately excited especially with these surprise extra mods >.< freaking freaking out right now
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #1164 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 15:37:08 »
The keys look great on a full-size board.  Have to decide whether to put mine on my Rosewill or my KMAC ...

Either way, can't wait to get these tomorrow at the shipping party. :D

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #1165 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 15:38:03 »
on my Rosewill or my KMAC ...
Yes.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #1166 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 17:17:39 »
why the f did i not get a num pad, that looks great retro style, i could have just used it on an separate keypad.

oh well

go go retro power!

Offline wasabah

« Reply #1167 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 17:51:30 »
why the f did i not get a num pad, that looks great retro style, i could have just used it on an separate keypad.
lol I had the same thought :D
ErgoDox Classic | Logitech G400 | Logitech Marble | Logitech M570 | Logitech M235 | Logitech M305

Offline bearcat

« Reply #1168 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 19:12:09 »
Really looking forward to putting these on my split ergo; vertically mounted 1.5 units are weird in the DCS profile & should be sweet and nice as DSA.  Hopefully the brown will match the wood too ;)  Can't wait!

Offline Pazuru

« Reply #1169 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 19:17:25 »
was I supposed to receive a confirmation by now?
Filco Majestouch-2 TKL (Red)    |    KBT Pure (Brown)

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #1170 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 19:39:20 »
Always get the numpad! You never know when you might need it.
The Filco multicam is gonna look sessy with all that brown and plum!
{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #1171 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 21:02:48 »

Can we see a photo of DSA cap side by side that white you had - just to see height difference?
Also - what photo colors are closer to reality - that darker first photo or last two, brighter ones?
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #1172 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 21:10:12 »
DSA Retro: The Feel Good Set. The caps look great Krogenar, you lucky sod :D

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #1173 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 21:48:49 »
DSA Retro: The Feel Good Set. The caps look great Krogenar, you lucky sod :D

Thanks, typing on them now. The larger keys (SHIFTS and Enter) are a wee bit tight on the sides. If I take my DCS profile Enter key and place it against the DSA Retro Enter, the DSA is just a little bit wider. It's not a lot, but it can make the Enter stick occasionally. Those are the only three keys that do this, as per Sam's explanation. See potato pics below.

More

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #1174 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 22:08:34 »
Can we see a photo of DSA cap side by side that white you had - just to see height difference?
Also - what photo colors are closer to reality - that darker first photo or last two, brighter ones?

I'll upload a better pic tomorrow. The DCS is slightly taller than the DSA, but not by much and the DCS profile has an upward tilt, whereas the DSA are all the same height. So the DSA is slightly lower, and has a single profile, but it's not off-putting at all when typing (not to me anyway). They make my MX Greens feel ... heavier, somehow? Neither of the photo colors from my horrible mobile phone camera really capture the colors. The dark ones in the beginning are too dark and the last ones are overexposed. I'll take pictures using a real camera tomorrow morning, in natural light. The colors have a nice rich feeling to them; they don't explode off the keyboard like a RA or Klaxon do. Those sets have a bold message, a Quentin Tarantino movie -- the Retro set is subtle, it's not screaming, and that's okay -- it's a Merchant Ivory production. The 'brown' keys are sort of a dark chocolate color, and I'm really glad I got the cranberry modifiers, and the green keys (Esc and Enter) end up feeling like a sprig of mint tossed onto the keyboard.

Another thing I liked about this set is that Matt and Sam added a few extra duplicate keys in alternate colors (ESC in Cranberry and Green, for example) and that means I can play around with the color scheme.

I think I have enough keys to put this set on my G80-2100, and I'm curious to see how it will look against a pearl-colored case.
« Last Edit: Fri, 03 May 2013, 22:11:33 by Krogenar »
More

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #1175 on: Sat, 04 May 2013, 01:46:18 »
also if anyone wants to try, it could be funny to place all caps upside down :) you can do that with DSA.

and that's okay -- it's a Merchant Ivory production. The 'brown' keys are sort of a dark chocolate color, and I'm really glad I got the cranberry modifiers, and the

PLUM FGS! Not cranberry! Now gotta push the self destruction button on your set.

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #1176 on: Sat, 04 May 2013, 06:40:40 »
also if anyone wants to try, it could be funny to place all caps upside down :) you can do that with DSA.

and that's okay -- it's a Merchant Ivory production. The 'brown' keys are sort of a dark chocolate color, and I'm really glad I got the cranberry modifiers, and the

PLUM FGS! Not cranberry! Now gotta push the self destruction button on your set.

More

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #1177 on: Sat, 04 May 2013, 09:29:13 »
So are we calling this set Cranberry and Nutella now?

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #1178 on: Sat, 04 May 2013, 09:32:15 »
So are we calling this set Cranberry and Nutella now?

We are NOT. :mad:
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline funkymeeba

• CRUMPULAR
  • WEST SHINJUKU PLANTING TUNE
« Reply #1179 on: Sat, 04 May 2013, 09:49:54 »
Cranberry is the new Nuclear Data set. :D
17:15 < vun> these are the healthiest crisps I've ever come across
17:16 < vun> mostly because I can't get the bag open

meebcats - my bad music

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #1180 on: Sat, 04 May 2013, 09:59:11 »
So my next task this morning is to prioritize Retro DSA shipping -- deciding who gets keycaps sent today, and who might be waiting a tad longer.

So no joking about berries OR Nuclear Data!  And get off my LAN, you kids!

(Seriously, though, I have to admit Nutella is a pretty good color match for Retro DSA.)

But I officially object to these references.  Retro DSA is officially Brown and Plum.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Callooh! Callay!
Retro DSA is shipping today!

Offline Sai

« Reply #1181 on: Sat, 04 May 2013, 10:12:42 »

(Seriously, though, I have to admit Nutella is a pretty good color match for Retro DSA.)

can you post a picture with Nutella next to Retro DSA set? :D
- WTB/WTT - Cotton Candy Brobot V2

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #1182 on: Sat, 04 May 2013, 10:19:28 »
next one who reference to nutella or cranberry does not receive the set :P

Offline Sai

« Reply #1183 on: Sat, 04 May 2013, 10:28:30 »
next one who reference to nutella or cranberry does not receive the set :P

- WTB/WTT - Cotton Candy Brobot V2

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #1184 on: Sat, 04 May 2013, 11:10:35 »
I'm glad the original Shift keys worked for you.  I'll send you your Errata kit by regular mail instead of Priority or overnight.  Also, I am very glad that such a full box arrived safely.  You see what I mean about full.  Again, thanks for the photos and the kind words.

Actually, they're not working. Sometimes they work, and sometimes they don't. You can still send mine Standard, but please don't lose mine, LOL!

More pics, in natural lighting:

More

Offline jabar

« Reply #1185 on: Sat, 04 May 2013, 11:17:06 »
I'm really surprised that Retro DSA finished before the Phantom R2 arrived... as such, in no hurry to get my keycaps since I only have the 7bit plate.
Leopold FC660C - Max Keyboard Nighthawk X8 - Ducky DK9008 Shine II 78 Edition - Noppoo Choc Mini - Cherry G80-2100HDD - Cherry G80-8113HDPUS - Plu-M87 - Leopold FC700R Ergo Clears - Deck Legend Frost 105 - IBM F PC Keyboard - IBM M 122 (Lexmark) - Apple Extended Keyboard II

Phantom 7bit

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #1186 on: Sat, 04 May 2013, 11:27:32 »
Actually, they're not working. Sometimes they work, and sometimes they don't. You can still send mine Standard, but please don't lose mine, LOL!

Do you think you could "shave" a bit off the edge(s) to make them work? I mean, since you have replacements coming anyway...

For science!
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Pazuru

« Reply #1187 on: Sat, 04 May 2013, 11:34:55 »
Filco Majestouch-2 TKL (Red)    |    KBT Pure (Brown)

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #1188 on: Sat, 04 May 2013, 12:17:38 »

Do you think you could "shave" a bit off the edge(s) to make them work? I mean, since you have replacements coming anyway...

For science!

Sure! After I get my replacements! The difference seems to be a little less than the thickness of one of the keycap walls, so if you shaved it equally on the sides it might work. The set still looks awesome, even with a different Shift and Enter key. Here's how it look son a G80-2100. I would need a 7-unit spacebar (any with an extra, let me know!) and there's no way I'm going to find the ba-donka-donk Enter key that would be needed, but it still looks and types great.

« Last Edit: Sat, 04 May 2013, 12:19:20 by Krogenar »
More

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #1189 on: Sat, 04 May 2013, 13:05:53 »
Dude, that was almost perfect! We need big ass enter DSA caps. Gogogogogo

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #1190 on: Sat, 04 May 2013, 13:13:47 »
Dude, that was almost perfect! We need big ass enter DSA caps. Gogogogogo

I don't know if they're even available in that size. Plus, how many people would need it? At any rate, the color of badonka-donk Enter key fits with the set. :)
More

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #1191 on: Sat, 04 May 2013, 13:37:18 »

For science!

Sure! After I get my replacements! The difference seems to be a little less than the thickness of one of the keycap walls, so if you shaved it equally on the sides it might work. The set still looks awesome, even with a different Shift and Enter key. Here's how it look son a G80-2100. I would need a 7-unit spacebar (any with an extra, let me know!) and there's no way I'm going to find the ba-donka-donk Enter key that would be needed, but it still looks and types great.

that board looks amazing

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #1192 on: Sat, 04 May 2013, 14:51:52 »
that board looks amazing

Thanks! I like the big layouts.
More

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #1193 on: Sat, 04 May 2013, 15:06:39 »
KMAC time, baby.

Note for fellow KMAC owners: the corrected right shift was a bit snug. I shaved off a tiny bit of material with a metal file and it fits great now.
« Last Edit: Sat, 04 May 2013, 15:08:15 by hashbaz »

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #1194 on: Sat, 04 May 2013, 15:08:35 »
Aw HELL yeah!

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #1195 on: Sat, 04 May 2013, 15:08:55 »

A confirmation for what?

They're packing these today.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #1196 on: Sat, 04 May 2013, 15:10:38 »
that board looks amazing

Thanks! I like the big layouts.

I really like it with the mis-matched enter key too, looks alot more authentic than if it all matched :P ...but yeah that's really one of the best looking boards I've seen :)

Offline DamienG

• DamienG
« Reply #1197 on: Sun, 05 May 2013, 00:18:06 »
Here is my DAS 3 temporarily supporting my DSA sets from today until my Phantom arrives.

20968-0

[)amien

Offline DamienG

• DamienG
« Reply #1198 on: Sun, 05 May 2013, 00:20:56 »
If there is a follow-up to this group-buy with more DSA keys I would thoroughly recommend we pay for a 6.25" spacebar DCS mold with the extra mounting points to match the DSA and make it universal.

Would also love to see DSA ISO enter but that's less likely to get as much attention, plus a 00, 1xFN, 1xTAB for numeric keypads.

Feels great to type on.

[)amien
« Last Edit: Sun, 05 May 2013, 10:26:25 by DamienG »

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #1199 on: Sun, 05 May 2013, 00:47:08 »
So jelly of this group buy.

All I want right now is a DSA set of Topre caps (never gonna f**kin happen, I know... but a guy can dream, right?)