Author Topic: Cleaning the IBM Model M cable?  (Read 3022 times)

Offline mr626

Cleaning the IBM Model M cable?
« on: Mon, 17 October 2011, 17:12:07 »
Hello,

Apologies if this has been covered before. Just wondering what methods people use to clean the Model M cable? The coils in the cable make it a bit harder to clean than a normal 'straight' cable.

I'm guessing the best bet would be to soak it in a bucket of something, whilst having both ends of the cable hanging over the side. My only worry is if the cable has any tiny splits in it that I can't see that would let moisture in.

At least my board has the removable cable- not sure how you'd go about cleaning a permanently attached coiled cable.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #1 on: Mon, 17 October 2011, 18:08:46 »
gloved hand, clorox cloth/wipe, try not to stretch it out, and yes look out for broken cables, these keyboards are 20years old and i'm sure have suffered abuse, bound to be something.

Offline Pretendo

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 17 October 2011, 18:13:20 »
What makes it even better (ie, worse) is that the permanently attached cables are often more cheaply made.  I've seen these cracked clean open.  Not a candidate for anything but the driest methods of washing.

On the removable,  I've had luck with just Windex and a cotton cloth. Goo Gone for places where previous owners stuck tape to the line.  It's a little more time consuming but will work without worry.  In my experience the centers of the coils don't get that dirty anyway.  You won't need to clean them as much.
IBM Model F-122 6110347 -- September 13th, 1984
IBM Model M 1391404 -- April 14th, 1988
Rosewill RK-9000

Offline Lanx

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 17 October 2011, 20:20:40 »
also if you get the proper 5.5mm nut driver, you can open the case and remove the wire and not have the keyboard get in the way.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 17 October 2011, 20:47:20 »
I have gotten some really dirty ones where the insides of the coils were horribly dirty in a bad way. I have wet-washed them, and was more worried about water wicking into the connectors.

Bagging the ends in plastic seemed pretty good, and I wrapped a piece of paper towel inside the plastic, so if a little water did get it, it soaked into the paper instead of wicking into the wires.

Even a fairly stiff sponge and strong laundry detergent was not good enough to remove the crud from the inside of one coil.

I have not tried it yet, but cleaners made from citrus oil work wonders, but I would rinse well afterwards just in case.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline nick2027

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 18 October 2011, 22:04:43 »
Try the ultimate cleaning combo: Spray Nine + Mr Clean Magic Eraser

Offline litster

• rare caps?! THAT'S A SMILIN
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 18 October 2011, 23:36:39 »
Along the same line, is it possible to un-stretch a stretched coil cable?

Offline mr626

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 18 October 2011, 23:51:40 »
Thanks for the replies all- has given me some good ideas on how to go about cleaning it.

Offline Clickey

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 19 October 2011, 02:40:45 »
I have had trouble cleaning coiled connectors too. Couldn't think of a way that didn't take a really long time and got the dirt off well. On the plus side, you can just get a new model M cable, if it is the detachable kind. I have some new ones for sale :wof:
"we are on Geekhack not Lazy****" - The Solutor