Author Topic: Keyboard for openspace  (Read 2761 times)

Offline galdor

Keyboard for openspace
« on: Wed, 24 December 2008, 05:58:29 »
Hi,

I'm a french student which discovered high-end keyboards some months ago. It sort of saved my hands, because membrane keyboards made my articulations/nerves ache (carpal tunnel syndrome start); I first had a Das Keyboard 2, wich was really too noisy, then I bought a HHK2pro, and have been using it about 8/10h a day for months.

I'm really happy with the HHK2pro, but I've a problem. In three months, I'm gonna begin my internship (network programming), so I'm gonna need a good keyboard to work on. Bringing my HHK2pro each day isn't really practical (unplugging/plugging 4 times a day), so I'd like to buy a keyboard just for work.
Problem is, I really can't put another 300€ (thank the French customs) in a keyboard, and my Das Keyboard 2 is really too noisy for an openspace.

So I'm searching for the perfect keyboard in ma situation: at least mechanical (hhk2pro-type keys would be perfect), not too noisy (hhk2pro is perfect from this point of view too), not too expensive (<150€).

I looked at the Steelseries 7G, they tell it uses "non-clicky mechanical keys", but I don't know how noisy it is.

Would someone have an idea ?

Thank you!

Nota: layout isn't a problem, I exclusively use a qwerty layout.

Offline kyamei

Keyboard for openspace
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 24 December 2008, 06:22:23 »
I think Cherry browns are one of the quieter switches, might want to check out a Filco with browns.  They have some tactile feel unlike the linear feel of the Cherry blacks used in the Steelseries.
Topre:  Realforce 101, Realforce 87U, HHKB Pro 2
Cherry Brown:  Compaq MX11800
Cherry Blue:  Filco FKBN87MC/EB
Cherry Black:  K-202 numerical keypad
Alps Black:  AT101W, ABS M1
Alps White:  Focus FK-2001
Buckling Springs:  Model M 1391401, Lexmark Model M 82G2383, Model M2
Buckling Sleeves:  Unicomp Model M4
Futaba:  Sejin EAT-1010

Offline eugenius

Keyboard for openspace
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 24 December 2008, 06:42:15 »
From what I understand maybe an ALPS black switch also.
Cherry ErgoPlus MX5000 + MX5700 / IBM Model M

Offline kyamei

Keyboard for openspace
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 24 December 2008, 07:04:39 »
I don't know about other black Alps boards, but AT101W's are pretty loud (bottoming/topping out).
Topre:  Realforce 101, Realforce 87U, HHKB Pro 2
Cherry Brown:  Compaq MX11800
Cherry Blue:  Filco FKBN87MC/EB
Cherry Black:  K-202 numerical keypad
Alps Black:  AT101W, ABS M1
Alps White:  Focus FK-2001
Buckling Springs:  Model M 1391401, Lexmark Model M 82G2383, Model M2
Buckling Sleeves:  Unicomp Model M4
Futaba:  Sejin EAT-1010

Offline galdor

Keyboard for openspace
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 24 December 2008, 08:31:52 »
I heard the sound of the brown switches on a video, they doesn't seem too noisy.
This keyboard seems very interesting:
http://benippon.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=15660

For 112€, it's really appealing; did somebody test it ?

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
Keyboard for openspace
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 24 December 2008, 08:55:18 »
You should save up for another HHKB Pro.  :)

Seriously, if the keyboard is perfect for you and the only thing holding you back is the price, then start saving up, selling unused/unwanted items, etc.

We need to get some more Japanese members that are willing to broker products for us.  I know that I do this a lot for European members and it works out well.  As long as I indicate minimal value on the customs forms and declare it as a gift, they save a lot of money overall.

Offline galdor

Keyboard for openspace
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 24 December 2008, 09:15:52 »
You're tempting me, but spending 300€ more... it's scandalous, isn't it ? The problem with the customs is that if the value is underestimated and the packet is lost, i won't be full refunded. And I can get problems with the customs (yep, underestimating something for the customs is a law offense, at least in France).

I've got to think about this :)

Offline karlito

• http://altitudegame.com
Keyboard for openspace
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 24 December 2008, 09:36:07 »
i agree w/ iMav.  Deal with hauling around your hhkb pro until you can afford to get another one.

my understanding is only a topre which cost just as much will compare to a hhkb pro.

i think i would personally just haul it around since it's so tiny. but then again I always take a backpack into work w/ food and other stuffs so a tiny little keyboard i wouldn't even notice.

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
Keyboard for openspace
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 24 December 2008, 11:38:33 »
I've heard some comparisons between an SGI Alps-based keyboard and the Topres, check the keyboard reviews and sound clips sections.