Author Topic: Cyber Clean Keyboard Cleaner  (Read 3984 times)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Cyber Clean Keyboard Cleaner
« on: Sun, 28 December 2008, 16:08:22 »

Offline bigpook

« Reply #1 on: Sun, 28 December 2008, 16:20:03 »
The link shows a blob like substance somehow attaching itself to what looks like an already clean keyboard. Its not clear to me how well it will do actually getting down into the nooks and crannys though. However, it may be more malleable then is apparent in the picture.

I should mention that its somewhat phallic shape is to some degree disturbing.
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 28 December 2008, 17:09:10 »
Quote from: xsphat;16295
Check it

thats *wacky*!  The only thing I dont like is that all that keyboard gunk will basically collect into the blob - where does it go from there? nowhere! It stays in it and accumulates.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline bigpook

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 28 December 2008, 17:23:23 »
Quote from: wellington1869;16300
thats *wacky*!  The only thing I dont like is that all that keyboard gunk will basically collect into the blob - where does it go from there? nowhere! It stays in it and accumulates.

While thats true, I don't see how it can possibly get to the crud that falls below the keys.
At best it may clean the tops of the keys and maybe to some degree the sides of the keys but even then, I don't see how well it can even do  that.

I use isopropyl alchohol and an old t-shirt to clean the keys and top case. On the model M, I will remove the keys to get underneath. On really ratty keyboards I will use a toothbrush and q-tips to get the crud off.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 28 December 2008, 18:07:48 »
I'm not saying it works, I just thought the pic looked like a giant sneezed on a crappy keyboard.

Products like that usually leave a residue that attracts dirt so you need to use the product more often. I keep my keyboards covered when not in use and I use air duster on them once in a while, and other than that baby wipes keep them pretty clean.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 28 December 2008, 18:12:07 »
Quote from: xsphat;16303
I'm not saying it works, I just thought the pic looked like a giant sneezed on a crappy keyboard.

Products like that usually leave a residue that attracts dirt so you need to use the product more often. I keep my keyboards covered when not in use and I use air duster on them once in a while, and other than that baby wipes keep them pretty clean.

I see now that there is more than one way to interpret the picture. The sneezing giant was not my first choice though : )

I agree on the residue that is left behind, I am thinking some kind of film that gets on your fingers and attracts more dirt. While I don't have a keyboard cover, I do give them a shot of compressed air from time to time. That helps to blow out the stuff that falls below the keys.The isopropyl alchohol works well also to get smudges and smears off.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 28 December 2008, 18:21:36 »
Compressed air is something every keyboard junky should around.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 28 December 2008, 18:28:35 »
Quote from: xsphat;16305
Compressed air is something every keyboard junky should around.

definitely.  I actually bought a plug-in (regular AC, not usb) "keyboard vacuum" on ebay, but I rarely take the time to plug it in and use it. Its v. powerful though.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

Offline bigpook

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 28 December 2008, 19:05:21 »
Compressed air works for blowing out the dust bunnies that collect inside the 'puter too. The keyboard vacuum sounds interesting, which one do you have?

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 28 December 2008, 19:08:23 »
Quote from: bigpook;16308
Compressed air works for blowing out the dust bunnies that collect inside the 'puter too. The keyboard vacuum sounds interesting, which one do you have?

I think its a black and decker; I also actually think it was originally intended for detailed cleaning of your car's interior, lol. But its got a thin nozzle with a bunch of attachments (brushes and etc) that work really well on a keyboard and electronics generally.  

It was actually hard to find one. I had a usb-plug-in one for a while and the suction was basically useless. But poking around on ebay I eventually saw this and grabbed it for fairly cheap (I think $10 or $15 shipped).

Offline bigpook

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 28 December 2008, 19:12:01 »
link?

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 28 December 2008, 19:22:46 »
Quote from: bigpook;16310
link?

I dont think I could find a link for it, I packed it away somewhere in my closet, lol. I'm not even a hundred percent sure what brand it is. Only used it a couple of times. (It was already a little bit beat-up when I bought it on ebay, prolly why it was so cheap). But I'm sure there must be others like it out there on ebay, I'd look under the automotive section as well as computer accessories section ;)  In theory its handy to have, I should prolly dig it out of my closet (If I do, I'll send you a pic of it).

Offline bigpook

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 28 December 2008, 19:42:31 »
No problem, just curious. I find the compressed can of air to be quick and easy and when the can is empty, I replace it. I was thinking of the vacuum that was used in the movie Gattica. IIRC, they used it on the keyboards to gather (?). It looked kind of cool though.

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 29 December 2008, 12:04:56 »
Quote from: xsphat;16303
other than that baby wipes keep them pretty clean.

:)  Baby wipes can clean practically anything.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 29 December 2008, 13:37:48 »
Quote from: iMav;16418
:)  Baby wipes can clean practically anything.

:) The things we learn after we have children.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 29 December 2008, 13:49:50 »
lol,  I didn't realize baby wipes were that powerful. I need to get some of those.
Do they work on LCD monitors?

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 29 December 2008, 13:55:56 »
Quote from: bigpook;16436
lol,  I didn't realize baby wipes were that powerful. I need to get some of those.
Do they work on LCD monitors?

I never thought of that ... I'll get back to you. Actually, I think they might leave lint and are too moist to clean them without water lines.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 29 December 2008, 13:59:40 »
Quote from: xsphat;16437
I never thought of that ... I'll get back to you. Actually, I think they might leave lint and are too moist to clean them without water lines.

Well hang on there, before you actually start going at it lets consider that the LCD display may have a special film protecting the screen. The baby wipes might be a bit much and ruin it.
I wish I had your phone number.

Theres xsphat wiping down his LCD screen with a baby wipe, which by most accounts will clean just about ANYTHING, it cleans so good it removes the protective film that protects the LCD display.

NOOOoooooooooooo!

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 29 December 2008, 14:06:54 »
Don't worry pook, I'll, nip this in the bud by saying that I NEVER clean my LCDs.

Offline Chloe

• Switch Kitten
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 30 December 2008, 01:56:09 »
Baby wipes are really handy. It does make you wonder what they put in them. I find them a bit too harsh to remove mascara. They do leave a residue which is more noticeable on some surfaces.

bigpook, I have used them to clean my LCD monitor. They leave streaks but these can be removed with a microfibre cloth afterwards.

Once I cleaned a CRT monitor with isopropyl alcohol thinking it was just glass but it must of had some kind of coating because it went misty. It was impossible to polish out.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 30 December 2008, 07:26:42 »
Quote from: Chloe;16573
Baby wipes are really handy. It does make you wonder what they put in them. I find them a bit too harsh to remove mascara. They do leave a residue which is more noticeable on some surfaces.

bigpook, I have used them to clean my LCD monitor. They leave streaks but these can be removed with a microfibre cloth afterwards.

Once I cleaned a CRT monitor with isopropyl alcohol thinking it was just glass but it must of had some kind of coating because it went misty. It was impossible to polish out.

I need to keep that in mind. I knew that screens could have a protective film covering them so I try to be careful with what I clean them with. Its not like they get filthy, but dust collects on them and what not.

I do a good job of not actually touching the screen with my fingers. I remember in class the monitor screens getting poked and prodded by everyone. I hated that. It gets in the way of the viewing.

I have a packet of LCD cleaning wipes that work well but have used isopropyl alchohol, the high strength one, not the rubbing one. And that has worked out ok to. But judging from your post that may not always be the case.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 30 December 2008, 10:10:27 »
I use Lysol wipes on my keyboards and only a soft cloth on monitors.  I just try not to touch the surface of my screen (I HATE it when other people do).