Author Topic: The importance of "reference" keyboards  (Read 2027 times)

Offline wellington1869

The importance of "reference" keyboards
« on: Tue, 30 December 2008, 05:25:07 »
Reflecting on my whirlwind of keyboard tryouts in the last couple of months, one of the things I realized is that finding a switch (and board) you like isnt enough to keep you happy. At least for me, anyway. Because if you put away all the other boards at that point and use your 'favorite'  exclusively, in time you get acclimated to it. What that means, I think, is that in time two things happen: - you start noticing "flaws" that you either didnt notice before or werent meaningful before; but also - you get used to its feel and so boards that you thought were 'light' suddenly one day begin to feel stiff, and etc.

This is where keeping a couple of reference boards -- that you had previously rejected -- under the bed is a really good idea. Typing on them can remind you why you liked what you liked about your favorite board. The sole function of these reference boards isnt to be used but to remind, to reset your senses so you can appreciate anew your favorite board every few weeks. They can remind you that your favorite keys are in fact the right resistance for you, and so on. In other words they can remind you of all the reasons why you liked what you liked about it.

Nothing like a little comparison for perspective (and contentment!).

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline andb

« Reply #1 on: Tue, 30 December 2008, 05:37:28 »
So if I've understood, you are suggesting that I should keep a really old, worn out piece of junk membrane keyboard around so that I'll appreciate anything else that I'm lucky enough to use?

Offline lal

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 30 December 2008, 06:31:25 »
Yeah, I thought about that, too. I recently destroyed my last rubber dome board in order to repair the cable of the Alps board. Guess I'll have to spend another 5 bucks for a crap reference.

iMav, could you put a huge warning on the register page please, and tell people that this may (will?) be going to be expensive? I've literally spent all my "excess" money for keyboards since I registered, damn it...
BS: Customizer, Model Ms; Alps: CSK-2101, FK-2002, AT-101 (SGI & Dell), MCK-860, FKBN87Z/EB; Cherry: Poker X, FKBN87MC/EB, WY60, G80-3000, G84-4100, TDV 5010

Offline bigpook

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 30 December 2008, 07:21:06 »
Quote from: lal;16598

iMav, could you put a huge warning on the register page please, and tell people that this may (will?) be going to be expensive? I've literally spent all my "excess" money for keyboards since I registered, damn it...

ditto that.
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 30 December 2008, 09:24:15 »
I keep a keyboard like that around.

It's called "my iBook's keyboard." :p

Offline bigpook

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 30 December 2008, 09:27:29 »
lol, my reference keyboard is whatever I was using prior to the one I am typing on now : )
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 30 December 2008, 11:05:42 »
Quote from: andb;16589
So if I've understood, you are suggesting that I should keep a really old, worn out piece of junk membrane keyboard around so that I'll appreciate anything else that I'm lucky enough to use?

I cant think of anything else that would make one appreciate these boards more, lol ;)

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3