Author Topic: Unicomp? To buy or not to buy!?  (Read 21783 times)

Offline Edogaa

Unicomp? To buy or not to buy!?
« on: Thu, 19 May 2011, 03:45:05 »
Well, I am kind of frustrated at my crummy, oily hair, food and grease infested keyboard!

So, I Wanted a new keyboard that is much sturdier, and is easily cleaned.

Minus the fact that its loud, unicomp seems like the best option.

first I Gotta ask, how easy are the keys to remove, when you need to clean them? THis keyboard is really filthy, but removing the keys makes them rather 'bad.' I Read they're more difficult to remove than the original Model M, but how much more so? Can the keys get damaged?

:/ Is unicomp decent for gaming as well? RTS's, FPS, and stuff like that.

and finally, USB vs PS2 for the unicomp? Only benefit I've read from PS2 Is NKRO, while for USB you are less likely to damage any pins. :/Though, I'm not sure if the Unicomp has NKRO (though NKRO would be a 'nice' unnecessary extra).

Also, does enhanced quiet touch use the same buckling spring? Or an inferior sort tech who's only benefit is that its quieter?

Well, while I'm gonna get the US Keyboard, I'm kind of curious whats the difference in the Non-US keyboard (105 instead of 104 keys) what does the extra key do? :/

Offline sndstrm

« Reply #1 on: Thu, 19 May 2011, 04:51:36 »
Here for NKRO info - there is some special info on Unicomp in there.

Here for USB vs ps/2.

Enhaced quiet touch is rubber dome as far as I know.  I assume they are the same as the rubber dome 71G4644 Model Ms.

Buckling sping would probably be the last thing I would play a game on, IMHO.
rm -Rf /*

Offline Culinia

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 19 May 2011, 05:45:38 »
Don't want to hijack the thread but saves another unicomp topic but... does anyone have any experience with them replying to email enquiries? How long should I expect a reply? Thanks.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 19 May 2011, 05:46:16 »
Quote from: Edogaa;348388
first I Gotta ask, how easy are the keys to remove, when you need to clean them? THis keyboard is really filthy, but removing the keys makes them rather 'bad.' I Read they're more difficult to remove than the original Model M, but how much more so? Can the keys get damaged?

You can pop them off with a flathead screwdriver or blunt knife.

Older IBM keyboards had two-part keycaps, there was a stem covering the buckling spring switch, and a cap on top of that which had the marking on it. Unicomp usually uses more conventional one part keycaps. Unless you have a tool for the two part cap, the insertion and removal procedure is the same really. They're quite hard to break or damage.

EDIT: Here's a pic demonstrating these types

:/ Is unicomp decent for gaming as well? RTS's, FPS, and stuff like that.

Yes, never had problems with them.

and finally, USB vs PS2 for the unicomp? Only benefit I've read from PS2 Is NKRO, while for USB you are less likely to damage any pins. :/Though, I'm not sure if the Unicomp has NKRO (though NKRO would be a 'nice' unnecessary extra).

They don't have NKRO. There's no real advantage of one over the other, just get whichever interface you happen to prefer.

Also, does enhanced quiet touch use the same buckling spring? Or an inferior sort tech who's only benefit is that its quieter?

Quiet Touch = Standard Rubber dome keyboard. Just like any cheapo brand.

Well, while I'm gonna get the US Keyboard, I'm kind of curious whats the difference in the Non-US keyboard (105 instead of 104 keys) what does the extra key do? :/

In most parts of Europe, Africa and the Middle East, the so-called ISO key arrangement is popular, here's a UK layout Model M (102-key, i.e. 105-key with no Windows keys) -

You can see that the Enter is reshaped, and the key that is above Enter in the ANSI arrangement (i.e. the one used in US layout keyboards) is moved to the left of Enter on the middle row. There is also an additional key between Left Shift and Z on the bottom row, which is the 105th key.
« Last Edit: Thu, 19 May 2011, 05:49:48 by ch_123 »

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 19 May 2011, 05:48:44 »
Quote from: Culinia;348411
Don't want to hijack the thread but saves another unicomp topic but... does anyone have any experience with them replying to email enquiries? How long should I expect a reply? Thanks.

Old style keyboards, old style communications. Looks like they prefer phone over email.
The problem with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are true  (Abraham Lincoln)

Offline Culinia

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 19 May 2011, 05:56:17 »
Oh no, I was afraid of that!

Do you think I have some chance of a reply or has anyone actually actually received a reply from them?

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 19 May 2011, 06:01:40 »
I think the reply will take more time than usually
The problem with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are true  (Abraham Lincoln)

woody

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 19 May 2011, 10:32:59 »
Quote from: ch_123;348413
Older IBM keyboards had two-part keycaps, there was a stem covering the buckling spring switch, and a cap on top of that which had the marking on it. Unicomp usually uses more conventional one part keycaps.
I believe beige Unicomp Customizer and SpaceSaver are two-piece mostly. My SpaceSaver is, except for few keys.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 19 May 2011, 11:26:46 »
Quote from: woody;348502
I believe beige Unicomp Customizer and SpaceSaver are two-piece mostly. My SpaceSaver is, except for few keys.

Very much depends. The white ones tend to be two part. The black/grey ones are sometimes double part, sometimes single part.

Offline Edogaa

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 19 May 2011, 12:11:57 »
I went ahead and bought it, thanks for the replies :P

Offline Edogaa

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 19 May 2011, 12:21:16 »
USB, if there is no benefit over that to PS2 than USB would be best since most computers I'd use, use USB. :/ A lot of motherboards also seem to want to use USB as well and no PS/2

Offline sndstrm

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 19 May 2011, 12:43:53 »
Did you get the Customizer?
rm -Rf /*

Offline Edogaa

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 19 May 2011, 13:10:37 »
Quote from: sndstrm;348567
Did you get the Customizer?

Yes, 104, USB, Buckling Springs.

Oh, black with grey buttons. :O
« Last Edit: Thu, 19 May 2011, 13:16:13 by Edogaa »

Offline gilgam

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 19 May 2011, 13:45:00 »
Quote from: The Solutor;348414
Old style keyboards, old style communications. Looks like they prefer phone over email.

Not true

They replied to each of my emails...
Maybe they love french ;-)
Realforce 105 FR, HHKB Pro 2 black, 1 Raptor K1 Black Cherry and 1 Raptor K1 Red Cherry , Compag MX 11800  tBrown Cherry, G80-3000 Clear Cherry , G80-1000 Blue Cherry / Ghetto red, Lexmark 1992 SSK Buckling spring, Unicomp 2011 Customizer 102 Buckling spring
and a few rubber dome/scissors keyboards from Apple/Logitech

Offline Culinia

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 19 May 2011, 16:36:41 »
Quote from: gilgam;348601
Not true

They replied to each of my emails...
Maybe they love french ;-)

Awesome thanks, may I ask how long did it take? I don't want them to be offended if I send them an email again lol

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 19 May 2011, 16:49:19 »
Calling them is usually best, though. Skype might be the best bet for that, to avoid an international call.

Offline Isac

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 19 May 2011, 19:22:28 »
I bought Unicomp as my first mechanical keyboard, I really love it, it's simply amazing for typing, but I would not recommend it for gaming.

I play a FPS style MMO where I need to press a lot of key combinations (usually Alt+q, Alt+e, Ctrl+q, Ctrl+e, Alt+1, Alt+2 etc.) and use the WASD block at the same time = all this is really hard on my SpaceSaver, much harder than on my previous keyboard (low profile Logitech Ultra-X).

Anyway buckling spring keyboards are perfect, you are not gonna regret it. (I paid like $220 for my SpaceSaver and it was the best PC investment I ever did :cool:)
Unicomp SpaceSaver

Offline javifast

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 20 May 2011, 02:01:19 »
Yes, if you like keyboards, you need at least one buckling spring keyboard.
Too many keyboards....

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 20 May 2011, 07:10:40 »
Quote from: Isac;348758
I bought Unicomp as my first mechanical keyboard, I really love it, it's simply amazing for typing, but I would not recommend it for gaming.

I play a FPS style MMO where I need to press a lot of key combinations (usually Alt+q, Alt+e, Ctrl+q, Ctrl+e, Alt+1, Alt+2 etc.) and use the WASD block at the same time = all this is really hard on my SpaceSaver, much harder than on my previous keyboard (low profile Logitech Ultra-X).

Anyway buckling spring keyboards are perfect, you are not gonna regret it. (I paid like $220 for my SpaceSaver and it was the best PC investment I ever did :cool:)

It really depends on what you play. I play a lot of RTSes, and have played quite a few FPS games on various Model M types, and had no rollover issues (although there was some mad combination I once tried in GTA Vice City that caused issues)

It definitely wouldn't be accurate to say that they're worse than a regular 2KRO board in regards to blocking.

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
    • John Savard's Home Page
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 20 May 2011, 21:44:14 »
(I am having serious difficulties accessing this site. Some pages appear now to be hacked, but this site times out when I try to access it from my regular computer.) I just heard about the new keyboard from Unicomp... which removes one obstacle that stood in the way of my considering the purchase of a Macintosh computer.

Unfortunately, apparently Apple is going to announce that future Macs will require you to store all your files in the cloud and buy all your programs through the App Store. Maybe not, but that was the chilly feeling I got down the base of my spine when I heard the announcement. So, sadly, this computer has come along too late.

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 20 May 2011, 23:06:30 »
Quote from: The Solutor;348414

I guess time changes as well. They used to be quite responsive in both email and phones.

:-(
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 20 May 2011, 23:08:21 »
Quote from: ch_123;348921
It really depends on what you play. I play a lot of RTSes, and have played quite a few FPS games on various Model M types, and had no rollover issues (although there was some mad combination I once tried in GTA Vice City that caused issues)

It definitely wouldn't be accurate to say that they're worse than a regular 2KRO board in regards to blocking.

Same here, I never had any KRO issues with Unicomps on FPS.
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 20 May 2011, 23:14:17 »
Quote from: quadibloc;349280
Unfortunately, apparently Apple is going to announce that future Macs will require you to store all your files in the cloud and buy all your programs through the App Store.

Is that what they were talking about regarding the end of the world tomorrow?

Seriously this marketing hysteria of turning all products into services is driving me nuts.
We as customer must fight this.

Then what, they're going to charge extra for fast typists because they use larger bandwidth on the word processor grid?

Vade retro satana!
Boards I own, click ->
More

Offline Isac

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 21 May 2011, 05:54:12 »
I didn't have problem with KRO, I had problems with speed, you need a lot of force to press BS (which is still fine when you press just one key), but it's more apparent when you need to press several key combinations one after another. I guess it depends on a game you play, because I need to control around 50 actions really fast and that's kinda extreme ;]
Unicomp SpaceSaver

Offline Culinia

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 24 May 2011, 19:17:07 »
Hey guys. Can someone please tell me how long it took for Unicomp to reply to you. It'll be a week tomorrow since I emailed them...

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 26 May 2011, 00:29:39 »
Quote from: ripster;350989
Well let's see, Chuck has retired....

:-( Chuck was the best.
Boards I own, click ->
More

Offline What is X?

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 26 May 2011, 01:08:43 »
i honestly don't see the big problem with using buckling springs for gaming. No appreciable difference compared to rubber domes for me.

Offline gregh

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 26 May 2011, 07:37:09 »
I recently bought a SuperSaver M. It's MUCH better than the Customer I had bought months ago. The keycaps feel better, the case feels much better and there isn't as much rattle / squeaks / uneven seams. I think they may have improved their quality control or manufacturing process. Or maybe the SpaceSaver M design just comes out better than the Customizer.

Offline Isac

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 26 May 2011, 09:03:33 »
Quote from: What is X?;351532
i honestly don't see the big problem with using buckling springs for gaming. No appreciable difference compared to rubber domes for me.

I was comparing it to my previous keyboard that has scissor-switches, also the problem comes from the amount of combinations I have to press, so this can different from game to game.
Unicomp SpaceSaver

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 26 May 2011, 09:07:26 »
Quote from: gregh;351593
I recently bought a SuperSaver M. It's MUCH better than the Customer I had bought months ago. The keycaps feel better, the case feels much better and there isn't as much rattle / squeaks / uneven seams. I think they may have improved their quality control or manufacturing process. Or maybe the SpaceSaver M design just comes out better than the Customizer.

The SpaceSaver is an IBM or a Unicomp?

Anyhow, might just be bad luck. I have many Unicomps, none rattles/squeaks/uneven including few Customizers.
Boards I own, click ->
More

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 26 May 2011, 12:49:42 »
The SpaceSaver is an IBM or a Unicomp?

As we all know, the IBM Spacesaver has rubber sleeve switches.

Offline xwhatsit

« Reply #31 on: Thu, 26 May 2011, 16:54:15 »
Quote from: ch_123;351694
As we all know, the IBM Spacesaver has rubber sleeve switches.

Show Image

That's the IBM M4; Unicomp's Spacesaver is an old IBM Japan keyboard design but they've fitted it with standard M-style buckling springs (for those that remember, did the IBM Japan original have Alps or did it have the IBM Japan buckling springs (Brother switch)?

Here's one from Unicomp's website:

Beam spring IBM 5251 (7361073/7362149) & IBM 3727 (5641316) | Model F IBM 122-key terminal & IBM PC-AT 84-key | Model M Unicomp 122-key terminal | Cherry MX Blue Leopold Tenkeyless

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 26 May 2011, 18:27:15 »
It was the 5576-C01, which was made by Lexmark and thus already had Model M style buckling springs.

The keyboard I showed is the IBM Spacesaver keyboard. Manufacturing designation Model M4 or M4-1 depending on presence of Trackpoint.
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 May 2011, 18:39:15 by ch_123 »

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 26 May 2011, 18:29:23 »
Quote from: What is X?;351532

I encounter hysteresis when I try to game on buckling springs. Apparently I don't lift my fingers sufficiently to 'release' a buckled spring. Cherry blues are like buckling springs: I die because a key I've 'released' turns out to be still pressed. Cherry browns and blacks release just fine, however.
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 May 2011, 18:33:15 by ricercar »
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 26 May 2011, 18:32:57 »
There's hysteresis on pretty much every tactile switch, it's a case of how pronounced it is. I find the buckling springs perfectly reasonable. YMMV I guess.

Offline xwhatsit

« Reply #35 on: Thu, 26 May 2011, 19:57:19 »
Quote from: ch_123;351831
It was the 5576-C01, which was made by Lexmark and thus already had Model M style buckling springs.

The keyboard I showed is the IBM Spacesaver keyboard. Manufacturing designation Model M4 or M4-1 depending on presence of Trackpoint.

No, the 5576-C01 was manufactured for IBM Japan. It may have been manufactured by Lexmark though, I don't think IBM Japan did much manufacturing. On checking, you are right, it did use M-style BS assy. It was the 5576-A01 that used Brother switch BS assys.

Nevertheless, what the poster above said was that they `recently bought a SuperSaver M' (he meant Spacesaver). The Spacesaver M is a Unicomp product with Apple Mac keys and layout. It is, essentially, a 5576-C01, and has nothing to do with the M4 or M4-1 or its rubber sleeves.
Beam spring IBM 5251 (7361073/7362149) & IBM 3727 (5641316) | Model F IBM 122-key terminal & IBM PC-AT 84-key | Model M Unicomp 122-key terminal | Cherry MX Blue Leopold Tenkeyless

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #36 on: Fri, 27 May 2011, 04:39:38 »
Quote from: xwhatsit;351861
Nevertheless, what the poster above said was that they `recently bought a SuperSaver M' (he meant Spacesaver). The Spacesaver M is a Unicomp product with Apple Mac keys and layout. It is, essentially, a 5576-C01, and has nothing to do with the M4 or M4-1 or its rubber sleeves.

Someone asked if the keyboard was an IBM Spacesaver. I pointed out what an IBM Spacesaver is. Simple as that.

Offline xwhatsit

« Reply #37 on: Sat, 28 May 2011, 00:18:51 »
Whoops I see what happened there now. Sorry! At least I learned a bit about the C01 -- never knew Lexmark got involved :)

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #38 on: Sat, 28 May 2011, 05:30:11 »
The -C01 was introduced close to the time that IBM Japan discontinued their buckling spring keyboards. It is possible that instead of getting Brother or Alps to make a special trackpoint keyboard, it just made more sense to get Lexmark to make one.

Most unusually, despite being a Lexmark product made in the USA, the label on the back also describes it as being a product of IBM Canada.