Author Topic: Keyboard of the Month - November - Nominations  (Read 22671 times)

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • Just the guy
Keyboard of the Month - November - Nominations
« on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 16:54:20 »
Here it is, the FINAL month of 2015's Keyboard of the Month competition. For whatever reason, I decided to start in December, so December will be the month where we decide the winner of Keyboard of the Year.

October's winner, was Nubbinator, with his custom build wooden case and wrist rest.

PLEASE remember that the keyboard you nominate has been posted in a previous topic. This is to try to promote people not just posting them in the sole purpose of getting nominated for this competition.

Also, please keep all discussion about the KOTM process, any complaints you have with that, with the results, or whatever else to the feedback thread. We don't need comments about that sort of thing detracting from discussion about the boards themselves.

The other rules, are here:

More
1.   A nomination thread will go up for the last two weeks of every month. You can nominate anybody you like, (even yourself) and any person can have any number of nominations every month.

a.   These boards should be ones you are drawn to, ones that stand out for one reason or another. Keysets, modifications, whatever you fancy. I don’t want to have to post guidelines or restrictions on the boards, but I may change this depending on the types of submissions we get over the first few months. Please also say a little bit about each board you nominate, as to the reasons why you think it deserves to be up for KOTM.

b.   The board must have been posted to the forums since the start of the calendar month. It can have been posted before then, but you must provide a link to the images that were posted after the first day of the calendar month.

c.   Keyboards may be resubmitted in subsequent months, but they must have had a picture or progress posted within the calendar month that they are nominated for.

d.   NO THEMES RIGHT NOW. These may or may not follow in the coming months. This also may or may not tie in with the calendar that may or may not happen at the end of next year.

2.   However, after the initial two week period of nominations, a user will only have ONE board get through to the final public voting process. The final three nominees will be selected by myself from the most nominated and praised board in the nomination thread. E.G. If one board is posted and has the most +1s, quotes or references  by other users in said thread, that will be chosen as one of the final three. Essentially, there is a crowd unofficial voting before the public voting. The final three are not up to me, they are up to you.

3.   PLEASE post some good quality photos of the board you are nominating. I’m not looking for Macro lenses and DSLRs, but maybe more than one, top down, blurry shot would be nice. I realise if it isn’t your board there isn’t much you can do about it, but just pick a couple that aren’t terrible from an album or post.

4.   On the 1st of every month, a poll thread will go up. This will consist of three finalists. Again, a user will only have one of their boards get through to this stage during any particular month. You can of course be nominated on another month. There will be one vote per person, and the results will remain anonymous until the voting closes.

5.   After a period of one week, the voting will be closed and a winner will be announced. The winner will be posted both on that month's voting thread, and the following month's nominations thread. I’m not sure if there will be a prize every month, but if there is then I will sort it out and backdate it if I come up with one in a few months time.

6.   The winner of each monthly process will go through to the ANNUAL KEYBOARD OF THE YEAR process, and the winner of the will DEFINITELY win a prize which I will work out at some point... The monthly winners will get a sticker or two as well :)

Happy nominating!
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: Keyboard of the Month - November - Nominations
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 02:36:30 »
I'd like to nominate jeffgran's manuForm in the artistic category.

And masaleiro's HacKeyboard in the category of innovation (as well as looking great it has an internal keylogger and hidden flash drive and is running on a handmade PCB with custom firmware :eek:)

120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 02:58:28 »
I shall nominate the RS 84 of maxpegasus.

117482-0

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=43865.msg1931932#msg1931932

With more (slightly older) pictures here: http://imgur.com/a/c2oTn
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Yoe

• Alps & ISO <3
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 04:50:54 »
And masaleiro's HacKeyboard in the category of innovation (as well as looking great it has an internal keylogger and hidden flash drive and is running on a handmade PCB with custom firmware :eek:)

Show Image

+1 on the HacKeyboard! Amazing build, this! Dat massive double sided, home etched PCB....   :eek:

Just so I may have the honor of losing to that masterpiece, I'm gonna go against my principles and nominate my own home etched Alps PCB. Hope you don't mind. :)

117490-0

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • Just the guy
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 27 November 2015, 18:11:04 »
OK, I've been away a while, I should be getting my PC up and running this weekend, but in the mean time, I need to get this nominations thread bump started:

I am going to nominate Matt3o's White Fox

I especially love the little fox on the PCB. Here is the build log - https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=77434.0

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 27 November 2015, 19:24:06 »
Nominating E3E's customized Duck Eagle with linear green Alps.

The astute among us will note that most old Alps switches don't have LED holes. But that didn't stop E3E from HAND DRILLING HIS OWN LED HOLES in each and every switch. Then he took this bad boy and dropped it into a Hammer case.

I know the word artisan gets thrown around in this hobby, but E3E really deserves that title. His work is always top notch and he truly loves what he does.

More info on his build is in the Post Your Alps thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=76021.msg1943390.msg#1943390

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline deductivemonkee

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 27 November 2015, 20:19:38 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

The astute among us will note that most old Alps switches don't have LED holes. But that didn't stop E3E from HAND DRILLING HIS OWN LED HOLES in each and every switch. Then he took this bad boy and dropped it into a Hammer case.

I know the word artisan gets thrown around in this hobby, but E3E really deserves that title. His work is always top notch and he truly loves what he does.

More info on his build is in the Post Your Alps thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=76021.msg1943390.msg#1943390

+1 for one of the only linear switches I actually like.
oh yeah I saw that crazy **** if that doesn't win I'm deleting my account

/ orthodox - 78g zealios / alps64 - mtsc / sentraq s-60x rgb - gat blues / let's split - 67g zealios / let's split - 67g zealios /

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 27 November 2015, 20:40:40 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

+2 from me.  As great as the other boards are, this thing just ticks all the right boxes for me.   :thumb:
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 27 November 2015, 23:30:03 »
If I may be so bold, I'd like to nominate my own Model F. Put a lot of work into it and have been really enjoying it. Build log here.

| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 27 November 2015, 23:42:14 »

+1 on E3E's amazing build!

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 27 November 2015, 23:44:32 »
If I may be so bold, I'd like to nominate my own Model F. Put a lot of work into it and have been really enjoying it. Build log here.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

And a +1 for pr0ximity's 4704!  Very nice!

Offline Yoe

• Alps & ISO <3
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 03:30:31 »

OK, I've been away a while, I should be getting my PC up and running this weekend, but in the mean time, I need to get this nominations thread bump started:

Show Image

I especially love the little fox on the PCB. Here is the build log - https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=77434.0

Yes, very +1 on the White Fox!

Got worried there would be too few nominations this month, but now they are coming in! :)

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • Just the guy
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 14:12:28 »
Don't forget to get your +1s in guys! I'm going to extend the nominations for a while, maybe until next weekend, so we can go straight into the vote for Keyboard of the Year and get it all *ahem* wrapped up before Christmas.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

I don't know what it is about it, but I think the short rectangular shape makes this look so cute :3 I love it

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 21:34:18 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

+1 for the ANSI conversion.

IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 21:37:26 »
I'd like to nominate jeffgran's manuForm in the artistic category.

Show Image

Show Image

+1 for both of these. I'm not sure how I missed them in the first place, but amazing work on each of them.

My boards:
More

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 21:48:30 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

+1, and well-deserved.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 29 November 2015, 09:25:38 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

That **** is tight as me nan

Offline f1xedgear

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 29 November 2015, 09:31:43 »

Show Image

+1 for whitefox. Super excited to throw money at that GB...

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 29 November 2015, 09:33:23 »
Lot of nice looking boards nominated but my +1 is for jeffgran's Manuform.

What else? I'm a sucker for innovative customs from the ground up. I have an eye for the ergos, a lot of thought and work went into the design and build, and it is nicely executed. 

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 29 November 2015, 10:46:42 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Love the amount of effort he puts into his boards, and one of the nicest guys on the forum too. +1
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #20 on: Sun, 29 November 2015, 19:48:02 »
+1 to jeffgran's manuForm, super clean looking and I'd love to get one of my own some time. I feel like it could convert me to ergo keyboards.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 30 November 2015, 01:07:00 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

+1
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 30 November 2015, 02:57:59 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

People might want to see this as well
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=77497.0
An insane amount of work went into that board.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 30 November 2015, 09:01:29 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

+1 fo sho
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 30 November 2015, 16:08:43 »
+1 for E3E's board, I don't think there's anything I don't like about his board.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • Just the guy
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 05 December 2015, 03:13:20 »
OK ladies and gents, I'm going to close this on Monday probably, and then the vote will start. So you have until the end of Sunday to get your +1s in!

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
  • All your base are belong to us!
    • All your base are belong to us!
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 05 December 2015, 19:19:09 »

Show Image

I know that this is not the voting thread. but I will also +1 the white fox and it's 2 year's of development and continuous improvement.

Offline itzmeluigi

• ПБТ
« Reply #27 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 17:45:01 »
+1 for E3E's custom Duck Eagle with backlit SKCL Greens, seriously excellent amount of work put into such a rare board.
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=77497.0

Offline jaffers

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 06:26:03 »
+1 for these three boards

I shall nominate the RS 84 of maxpegasus.

(Attachment Link)

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=43865.msg1931932#msg1931932

With more (slightly older) pictures here: http://imgur.com/a/c2oTn

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 12:16:22 »