Author Topic: Marketplace thoughts  (Read 3865 times)

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
Marketplace thoughts
« on: Sun, 03 May 2009, 10:01:01 »
The topic recently came up about the possibility of allowing thread starters in the Marketplace forum the ability to edit their threads (which includes, most notably, the ability to change the thread title (adding "... - SOLD", for example).

This functionality does not exist in vB currently (and there are no mods to be found to add the functionality).  Basically, this would require the ability to allow thread starters moderator rights to their own threads (limited on a forum by forum basis).  

While researching this issue, I've come across a few full-blown classified section mods that looked interesting.  I'm wondering if the membership here would be interested in a more feature-rich classified section.

Offline ozar

Marketplace thoughts
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 03 May 2009, 10:07:13 »
Some vBulletin forums that I frequent allow thread starters to select a "Mark thread SOLVED" option, and choosing that option by the thread starter automatically changes the thread title to include the word SOLVED at the beginning of the title, and it immediately locks/closes the thread.

It would seem that this modification might be able to be altered to "Mark thread SOLD", but I'm not sure how complicated modifying the actual modification might be.

Either way, marking them SOLD seems like a good idea to me.

Offline iMav

Marketplace thoughts
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 03 May 2009, 11:14:26 »
Quote from: webwit;88832
This requires action. Unfortunately doesn't work and you'll be irritated forever, chasing people who forget or don't care. I'd be interested in an auto-expiry option. And it would require action to make it longer if you need that because it's still for sale. Then it will always only show current sales, and you don't need to police it.
There is auto-expiry functionality in the classifieds module I'm testing out.

Offline rnak92a

Marketplace thoughts
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 03 May 2009, 12:59:51 »
iMav,

I posted my model M listing there to help test things and it's excellent.  Auto expiration is very nice, too;  as things are sold, a thread can be marked as such and then be removed automatically after a set period of time.  I like to leave things up for a week after the sale so the buyer has all available information about what s/he purchased at hand.

Cheers,
~rn
My keyboards, numpads, and pointing devices
=====================================
Quote from: Hak Foo
The label says, "World\'s best... guaranteed."

What would happen if I bought one and sent them a nasty letter that read:

"1391401.  I want my money back."

Offline iMav

Marketplace thoughts
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 05 May 2009, 14:53:26 »
I think we have a workable replacement for the Marketplace forum.  The classifieds section I mentioned before, and a classifieds discussion companion forum.  When a new item is listed in the classified section, a new thread is automatically created in the classified discussion forum.  Members can reply to those threads, but cannot create new threads.  

This will allow items to expire/removed/etc from the classified section...but also allow discussions related to those items to remain for historical purposes.

Thoughts?

Offline ozar

Marketplace thoughts
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 05 May 2009, 15:02:18 »
Just curious... will you be able to move all the current Marketplace threads into the new Classifieds forum and all those discussions will be auto-moved to the new Classifieds Discussion Forum?

Offline iMav

Marketplace thoughts
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 05 May 2009, 15:05:15 »
Quote from: ozar;89222
Just curious... will you be able to move all the current Marketplace threads into the new Classifieds forum and all those discussions will be auto-moved to the new Classifieds Discussion Forum?
The old Marketplace forum will likely be locked from any new threads (with current threads allowed to continue).  What will be done long term with those discussions, I have not decided.  (perhaps the threads will be closed and moved to a sub-forum off the new Classifieds discussion forum)

Offline itlnstln

Marketplace thoughts
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 05 May 2009, 15:10:05 »
With as much turnover as there is in the Marketplace forum, I would imagine there are only a few active threads, and users should be able to migrate their own without too much trouble.

Offline ozar

Marketplace thoughts
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 05 May 2009, 17:25:57 »
New threads in the Classifieds section don't seem to be showing up on the forums index page, or at least the one that I just posted didn't.

Perhaps that is the intended behavior?

Offline IBI

Marketplace thoughts
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 05 May 2009, 17:27:55 »
Is the new classifieds section finished them? It's rather awkward and doesn't sync with the forum theme (it's always dark unless you change it manually each time).
Owned: Raptor-Gaming K1 (linear MX)(Broken), IBM Model M UK, Dell AT102W, Left-handed keyboard with Type 1 Simplified Alps.

Offline ozar

Marketplace thoughts
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 05 May 2009, 17:39:42 »
I'm apparently still a little confused about the way the new Classified stuff works.

My new Classified thread is now showing up in the Classifieds Discussion section, but was posted by user Marketplace, that I thought was just a test account setup by iMav.

Offline iMav

Marketplace thoughts
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 05 May 2009, 18:34:10 »
Some explanation is necessary.

The marketplace discussion forum is populated with threads via the marketplace module's RSS feed.  The "Marketplace" user is the user that creates the threads from the RSS feed (syncs every 10 minutes).

Just know this.  You manage your listing in the Classifieds section.  Discussions take place in the Classifieds discussion forum.  :)

The theming issue will be resolved soon.  The Classifieds developer is looking at it now.

Offline ozar

Marketplace thoughts
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 05 May 2009, 18:45:03 »
k... I'm with you now.  Thanks for the explanation, iMav.

Offline ozar

Marketplace thoughts
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 05 May 2009, 23:03:49 »
iMav, I'm pretty sure that I understand how the Classifieds section works now, but it still seems rather confusing and cumbersome to use, at least so far.  If there are further improvements coming, maybe it will grow on me and I'll find it more pleasurable to use in the future.

Note that I deleted the For Trade thread that I posted earlier this evening, but for some reason the Marketplace thread that was automatically created still exists.  If I do understand how it all works, I suppose some confusion still exists, at least for me.

Sorry to be problematic.

Edit: nevermind, I remember reading above that the Marketplace threads will remain.  Still, when a Classified is deleted and no posts have been made, it would be nice if the Marketplace thread were deleted, too.
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 May 2009, 23:14:46 by ozar »

Offline iMav

Marketplace thoughts
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 05 May 2009, 23:15:04 »
The discussion threads remain for informational/historical purposes.  It allows tangent discussions to continue without the question as to whether the item is still for sale/trade/etc.

Offline ozar

Marketplace thoughts
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 05 May 2009, 23:15:47 »
Oops... yes, looks like I was editing my post while you were posting, but in this case, there was no discussion taking place.  Maybe it will grow on me later.

Offline iMav

Marketplace thoughts
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 06 May 2009, 05:10:51 »
I've added "Submitted by USERNAME" verbiage to the beginning of the automated  Classified discussion threads.  Should make things a bit less confusing.  

(I've also edited the existing threads to contain this modification)

Offline rnak92a

Marketplace thoughts
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 07 May 2009, 13:34:16 »
iMav,

A question and a couple of observations:

Is there a way to implement editing (and deletion/closing) of the propagated marketplace discussion thread that comes from a new classified posting?  Currently, editing the title of a classified ad produces a duplicate thread in the classifieds discussion forum, which could confuse prospective buyers and clutter up things.  And, edits to the classified ads aren't reflected in the text of the classifieds discussion thread for the items, at least not at the same time the classified ads are edited.

Cheers,
~rn
« Last Edit: Thu, 07 May 2009, 13:44:47 by rnak92a »
My keyboards, numpads, and pointing devices
=====================================
Quote from: Hak Foo
The label says, "World\'s best... guaranteed."

What would happen if I bought one and sent them a nasty letter that read:

"1391401.  I want my money back."

Offline iMav

Marketplace thoughts
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 07 May 2009, 14:18:40 »
The functionality is not perfect (obviously).  Ultimately, the Classifieds author is going to add comments to the Classifieds ad module itself...which will negate the need for the separate discussions forum (if we go that route).

We need to know when an item is no longer for sale.  Now that easily occurs in two ways.  1. The original ad poster can hide or delete their ad.  2. if no action is take, the ad will auto-expire in 30 days.  There was also some concern that we keep the comments in regards to the ads around for historical purposes (and for possible important tangent conversations).  That is now possible as well.

Currently, the automatic postings will not disappear, but stick around.  You should hide or delete ads that are no longer relevant.

Offline ozar

Just a suggestion...
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 15 May 2009, 17:13:35 »
Good day, iMav!  :smile:

I'd like to suggest that either a disclaimer saying something to the effect of "buy and sell at your own risk" be posted in the MarketPlace and/or Classifieds Forums, or some type of rating system that buyers and sellers can use to rate other buyers and sellers based on previous transactions be implemented.  Having either one in place would give everyone fair warning before they should encounter any problems here at GeekHack.

Hopefully one idea or the other wouldn't be too difficult to implement and it might save lots of folks including yourself a few headaches in the future should things start going wrong.  It might not even be a bad idea to implement both.

Thanks in advance for any consideration.

Offline wheel83

Marketplace thoughts
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 15 May 2009, 17:21:26 »
i liked the old style classified ads better.  just like the other sub forums...
I <3 BS