Author Topic: Dremel advice/alternatives  (Read 3614 times)

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
Dremel advice/alternatives
« on: Mon, 19 February 2018, 12:44:49 »
Some of you seem to be tool guys so I figure it's worth an ask. I want to get a Dremel which is probably mainly gonna be used for hobby kind of stuff. eg. I need to adapt a polycarb keyboard plate, and I'm gonna be using it for modding an old Gameboy case. I guess it'll be small plastic and wood jobs, minor DIY stuff. Just wondering if the cheapest one is worth getting, or if I spring for a more powerful one will it be unsuitable for those small tasks?

Also wondering if there's any good alternatives. I had a proper cheap ebay one years ago that basically just failed out of the box and was a total piece o ****, but I assume there's some middle ground.

Offline AuthenticDanger

Re: Dremel advice/alternatives
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 19 February 2018, 14:03:44 »
Look into Flex Shaft

http://www.foredom.net/rotarytools.aspx

You get more control than a Dremel because you hold it closer to the end.
F Keys belong on the left.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 19 February 2018, 14:38:32 »
Dremel has their version of flex shaft.

But it sux0rz compared to foredom.

Keep in mind.. Foredom needs solid mounting for safety, it's alot of moving mass, you can't take it around as easily.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 19 February 2018, 15:03:32 »
I have a Black & Decker one, I've used it to cut everything from plastic to 1.5mm steel sheet and can't fault it but I've never used a flex shaft and have no idea if it's cheaper.

Whatever you buy look for variable speed rather than fast/medium/slow so you can adjust to the material you're cutting as well as the diameter of the cutting disk - the wrong speed can make the disk dissapear near instantly on metal or melt the plastic, you don't want to do either.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 19 February 2018, 16:33:51 »
Actually, for cutting plastics you would want one that can deliver high torque at low speed and the cheap knock-offs can't do that: they can only deliver varying amount of strength and the speed will only be limited by the resistance of the material. If you cut plastics at too high speed you will melt the plastic instead of cutting it and it will wrap itself around the tool you are using.
At the other end of the spectrum, I have had two different Proxxon that worked well for plastics but broke as soon as I tried using them for drilling in aluminium.
A Dremel or Black & Decker will be useful for more different tasks and probably last longer as well.

I agree on the recommendation for flex shaft if you are going to use it for any detail work because it is much easier to hold. The drawback is that the flex-shaft does not fit a chuck (only differently sized socket inserts) so changing tools could take longer.

Bits are interchangeable between all brands and the cheaper ones are often just as good as the expensive Dremel brand. Other attachments (such as chucks) have also been compatible with both Dremel, Proxxon and the Cheap chinese knockoffs I have been using.
Remember to also get protective goggles and ear cups unless you already have some. A simple dust masks can also be handy, especially if you are going to route or drill in resin. Never dremel without eye protection!

For plastics and for modifying alu plates, I have actually not been using Dremels that much. Instead, the most useful tools have been hacksaw and needle files, and for plastics only: razor saws. The Dremel has been used mostly for drilling small holes and for getting at places where the needle files and razor saws couldn't fit at an angle.
« Last Edit: Mon, 19 February 2018, 16:47:12 by Findecanor »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 19 February 2018, 16:49:39 »
Guys, keep in mind, dremel is more like a Toy, in the world of rotary..

Foredom is like the dewalt..

Dremel is like harbor freight, at best, let's call it ryobi..

<medium chance it blows up.. and u die..>

hahahahahahahahahahaha

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 19 February 2018, 17:50:57 »
For home use Dremel is fine, just don't buy the cheapest model.
Flex shaft is nice and can make it last longer as well since the cords are often a weak point for long term home use. However most, especially if it's your first, die due to wedging a cutting disk

While I agree with TP it's not the best (Ryobi or Bosch level), calling it Harbor Freight tells me he's never had experience with a Harbor Freight level rotary tool. Personally, the last imitation I tried was almost useless (no torque), but there are some decent knockoffs today.

Also if you are cutting something more than very thin steel strips or aluminum, get an angle grinder. A single disk on an angle grinder will cut more metal than dozens of fiberglass Dremel disks, easily paying for itself the first time you do much with it. Just beware, they have TORQUE and can get away from you.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 19 February 2018, 21:22:49 »
Flex shaft is nice and can make it last longer as well since the cords are often a weak point for long term home use. However most, especially if it's your first, die due to wedging a cutting disk

While I agree with TP it's not the best (Ryobi or Bosch level), calling it Harbor Freight tells me he's never had experience with a Harbor Freight level rotary tool. Personally, the last imitation I tried was almost useless (no torque), but there are some decent knockoffs today.

Also if you are cutting something more than very thin steel strips or aluminum, get an angle grinder. A single disk on an angle grinder will cut more metal than dozens of fiberglass Dremel disks, easily paying for itself the first time you do much with it. Just beware, they have TORQUE and can get away from you.

Minimize use of angle grinder, Especially vertical cutting. dat' machine is Epic Dangerous..

Always wear a full face mask when using angle grinder..

I would even go as far as recommending a neck protection device..

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 19 February 2018, 22:47:47 »

Minimize use of angle grinder, Especially vertical cutting. dat' machine is Epic Dangerous..
Always wear a full face mask when using angle grinder..

I would even go as far as recommending a neck protection device.
Ruined a favorite hoodie that way, lots of little burn holes in it, better the hoodie than my skin.
But yeah, it shouldn't be taken lightly.

Oh, and if anyone does get one, don't buy one with a plastic guard. I seriously don't know what Dremel was thinking on that.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 20 February 2018, 04:05:04 »
Tangent: I know a guy whose hoodie set off the metal detectors at airport customs. It was his favourite comfy hoodie... and he had been using it a lot when machining metal, and it had absorbed quite a lot of steel shavings.

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 20 February 2018, 17:25:56 »
Thanks for the advice guys. I ordered some needle files and a cordless dremel from Amazon. Will give it a whirl and see if I like it. Foredom looks great but I don't really have a place for it. I wanted something I can shove in a drawer. However, I do now aspire to own a Foredom rotary tool.

For the polycarb plate I feel like I'm prolly gonna just use the needle files now anyway...

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 20 February 2018, 20:13:18 »
Dremels and all knockoffs even higher quality "rotary" tools are pretty much crap if you want to do any real work with them.  The cut off wheels suck, break easy, and cut very slowly.  Look into either electric or pneumatic die grinders.  Pneumatic will be smaller than electric, but will last longer if oiled.  Plus, the can actually cut some stuff.

And for the love of god, stay out of Horror Frought.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 20 February 2018, 20:24:33 »
SAFETY TIP POST

Whenever using any of these tools mentioned here, use safety glasses at a bare minimum.  These can be bought from any home improvement/most big box stores for less than $5.  Just make sure they are ANSI Z87.1 rated.  If you are going to be using abrasive wheels for cutting or grinding, look into getting a full face shield.  These might cost a bit more but will save your face and possibly eyes.  These do not take the place of safety glasses though.  They just keep sparks and flying debris out of your eyes.  The safety glasses are rated for larger impacts such as breaking wheels, the face shield will not be rated for those impacts.  Find a welding supplier in your area for these.  Chain stores that come to mind for this are Grainger, Fastenal, AirGas (this one is a welding gas and medical gas supplier), Campbells or other industrial contractor supplier. 

I work with these type of tools on a daily basis for steel fabrication in the union construction trades.  If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

I had a co worker have a 9" cut off wheel explode on him at work.  The remaining portion that was still attached to the arbor got caught in his hoodie, chunks came up and hit him in the face as well.  Had a couple stitches but outside of that was just fine.  Back to work the next day.  His PPE did it job and saved his eyes.

OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 21 February 2018, 03:52:01 »
Just use thermite......   :cool:

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 21 February 2018, 04:50:14 »
Just use thermite......   :cool:

Also,  methylamine, cuz you don't wanna depend on dat pseudoephedrine..

Offline naveed

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 21 February 2018, 14:34:35 »
I bought a Black & Decker rotary tool about 10 years ago - still going strong, though I don't use it regularly. I recommend against their battery driven tools, they change the battery every year and you're going to pay a lot for battery replacements, but their AC powered stuff seems to be OK.