Author Topic: [GB] Boardwalk Ortholinear PCB and plate  (Read 33802 times)

Offline AlexAtPanc

• Panc Interactive
[GB] Boardwalk Ortholinear PCB and plate
« on: Mon, 29 October 2018, 20:24:33 »
Hiya folks!

I'm extremely pleased to announce the start of the Boardwalk PCB and Switchplate group buy!

The Boardwalk is a 60% ortholinear keyboard, designed around Ergodox keycap sets and to fit into many standard 60% cases. The project was inspired by OLKB’s Atomic keyboard, which used larger 2u mods, but u/shensmobile
decided to switch to 1.5u keys so that Ergodox sets would provide excellent compatibility. The rest of the board can be covered using standard key sizes from 60% sets.

I wanted to give a shoutout to u/plastikschnittstelle, who has added Boardwalk support for his SKB group buy. If you want to have an ortho 60% layout for his keyboard case, grab a PCB from us, and run over to his GB to grab a case! Check out the SKB page here to learn more!

A typical off-the-shelf 60% case is a tray-mount (the PCB screws down into the case). Top-mount is for a case where the plate is screwed upwards into the case (The only off-the-shelf example I know of is this one). Custom group-buy 60% cases are now typically top-mount and needs a special custom plate, which I am offering to make for this GB.

• If you're getting a case from a commercial entity like AliExpress, it's most likely going to be a tray-mount case and you will need a tray-mount plate.
  • If you're getting the XD60/64/75 case from KPRepublic, you need to specify in the comments that you need a KPRepublic plate.
  • If you have a custom case that you want to use, check to see if it has PCB mounting spots, or if the plate bolts onto the case itself. If so, you need the custom plate option AND you need to supply me the DXF of the plate from the original group buy.

For key coverage, Ergodox + Alphas is enough for the split hands layout. If you want to cover the arrow-cluster layout, you will need the 60% kit as well (for the 1.25u bottom row). If you want 7u spacebar, you will need the Tsangan kit. Standard sets (like Tai Hao sets) will not cover the board as they do not have enough 1.5u modifiers, even with the wrong legends. You need a kit that has Ergodox support.

Pricing:

PCB: $40
Stainless steel plate (Bead blasted): $30
Powder coating: $6
Brass plate (matte finish): $50
Custom plate design: +$10 on top of either above.

We are looking at a mid-January ship-date to all entrants.

Check out the main Group Buy page here.
« Last Edit: Tue, 30 October 2018, 13:00:10 by AlexAtPanc »

Offline AlexAtPanc

• Panc Interactive
Re: [GB] Boardwalk Ortholinear PCB and plate
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 15 November 2018, 19:16:41 »
Quick bump to note that the GB is wrapping up on Monday morning! Let us know if there are any questions we can answer!

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 19 November 2018, 04:26:07 »
I need to amend my order. What's the best way to do this? Send an email?

Offline elpeterson

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 19 November 2018, 12:03:18 »
Ive submitted two orders, the second is just a corrected version of the first. What's the best way to have that fixed?

Offline AlexAtPanc

• Panc Interactive
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 19 November 2018, 19:33:57 »
Ive submitted two orders, the second is just a corrected version of the first. What's the best way to have that fixed?

Go ahead and drop me a PM or an email with that note. Thanks!

Offline MikeTheTiger

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 21 November 2018, 15:31:57 »
Invoice paid. Can’t wait!!

Offline AlexAtPanc

• Panc Interactive
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 01 December 2018, 05:12:29 »
I hope everyone's December is off to a rollicking start.

Shensmobile and I wanted to reach out and let you know that the orders for the PCBs and plates have been places, and everything is proceeding as planned. Shens actually just informed me that the base for the PCBs has been completed, and the manu is waiting for the parts to arrive for assembly. Everything should be completed on-schedule, assuming we don't encounter any hiccups.

As an aside, if any of you are looking for new keycaps for your Boardwalk builds, I wanted to suggest looking at the Calm Depths group buy, in case you haven't seen it yet. u/Oblotzky was gracious enough to create some renders so you can see what the Assembly Kit would look like on our boards:

It's a great colorway and the Assembly Kit is perfect for our ortholinear ambitions! If you're a GMK fan, it's really a homerun.

Thanks all for helping us make this GB happen. If you have any questions or if I can provide any additional information, please let me know!

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 01 December 2018, 08:02:51 »
If anyone needs or wants an extra universal brass plate, please let me know. I no longer need mine.

Offline MikeTheTiger

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 01 December 2018, 10:15:10 »
I hope everyone's December is off to a rollicking start.

Shensmobile and I wanted to reach out and let you know that the orders for the PCBs and plates have been places, and everything is proceeding as planned. Shens actually just informed me that the base for the PCBs has been completed, and the manu is waiting for the parts to arrive for assembly. Everything should be completed on-schedule, assuming we don't encounter any hiccups.

As an aside, if any of you are looking for new keycaps for your Boardwalk builds, I wanted to suggest looking at the Calm Depths group buy, in case you haven't seen it yet. u/Oblotzky was gracious enough to create some renders so you can see what the Assembly Kit would look like on our boards:

Show Image

Show Image

It's a great colorway and the Assembly Kit is perfect for our ortholinear ambitions! If you're a GMK fan, it's really a homerun.

Thanks all for helping us make this GB happen. If you have any questions or if I can provide any additional information, please let me know!

Glad everything is going smoothly!! ;)

Offline AlexAtPanc

• Panc Interactive
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 13 December 2018, 20:17:16 »
Just giving an update on our progress:

- There was an issue with our wire transfer to the plate manu, so that was delay by approximately 5 days. We have been in touch and the order is in, but we wanted to make you aware. We don't think it'll add a delay to the GB.
- The PCBs are pressed and are currently waiting for the additional components. Once those are in, we will be able to to get started on producing the PCBs with all parts.
- u/grizzly_teddy has started an IC for SA blanks for the Boardwalk. Check it out if you have a chance!
https://old.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/a3so44/ic_sa_ortho_blank_kits_mint_and_cream_from_sa/

Offline AlexAtPanc

• Panc Interactive
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 05 January 2019, 06:44:03 »
Happy new year everyone!

I just received word from Shensmobile that the PCBs have completed assembly, and are being shipped to him. Great news, and we're right on schedule.

I've also been told that the GMK Calm Depths group buy has been extended to January 15th. The base kit has made MOQ, and the Assembly kit is about 60% there. The Assembly kit is a great option for any board that is 60% and less, and absolutely perfect for the Boardwalk.

Thanks everyone for your support, and if anyone has any questions or concerns, please let me know!

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 05 January 2019, 14:14:09 »
Any photos of these glorious PCBs and plates?

Offline AlexAtPanc

• Panc Interactive
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 05 January 2019, 21:01:07 »
Any photos of these glorious PCBs and plates?

As soon as we get them we'll be taking copious pics!

Offline AlexAtPanc

• Panc Interactive
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 13 January 2019, 08:42:42 »
Forgot to post pics here!

PCBs are being QCed in Canada by Shens, and the plates are currently en route to me.

We'll have more updates as soon as everything touches down!

Offline MikeTheTiger

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 13 January 2019, 10:53:44 »
Forgot to post pics here!

Show Image

Show Image

PCBs are being QCed in Canada by Shens, and the plates are currently en route to me.

We'll have more updates as soon as everything touches down!

Damn that's beautiful!

Offline AlexAtPanc

• Panc Interactive
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 17 January 2019, 22:16:48 »
We just got word that the shipment of plates should arrive shortly!

For anyone interested in making a plate for themselves, the DXF can be downloaded below:

https://www.panc.co/uploads/4/0/3/7/4037410/universal_plate_v1.1_-_rounded_corners.dxf

I'm going to be conducting a giveaway of 1x plate and 1x PCB next week. Everyone will have a chance to win.

Thanks all for your support!

Offline AlexAtPanc

• Panc Interactive
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 22 January 2019, 19:25:39 »
Plates and PCBs just got in! Digging in and will get pics up as soon as I can.

Offline AlexAtPanc

• Panc Interactive
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 23 January 2019, 19:30:07 »
So happy with how these have turned out. Big thanks to Shens for his incredible work, and our manu for being the best when it comes to ease of communication.

I'm starting the powdercoating process ASAP.

• Those that elected for a color treated plate, expect an email confirming your color request
  • Those that did not get a color treatment, expect tracking info shortly
  • Those that entered for the Campine mk.III angled base bundle, the factory is working through the bases and I'm expecting updates very soon, prior to CNY

ONTO THE GIVEAWAY!

This is going to be for a fully built (minus keycaps) Campine mk.I with a Boardwalk PCB. Here's what a standard Campine mk.I looks like. You'll be able to choose from many different switches I have on-hand, to complete the build. The contest is open to anyone who wants to enter!

Instructions:
  • Go to my instagram giveaway post
  • Follow my instagram
  • Comment on the instagram post with your favorite fruit candy
  • Realize that fruit candy is terrible and infinitely inferior to chocolate candy
That's it! Very easy.

Extras will be available very soon. Drop me a PM if you'd like more information.

Thanks all, and if anyone has any questions or concerns, please let us know!

Good Luck!!!
« Last Edit: Thu, 24 January 2019, 16:35:02 by AlexAtPanc »

Offline dr_unconscionable

• [sqeleton]
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 24 January 2019, 12:08:54 »
Can't wait for it to ship -- I've had the case ready and waiting for months haha :)

And thanks for doing a giveaway! (Though I think you're missing a link to what the standard Campine mk I looks like.)

Offline AlexAtPanc

• Panc Interactive
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 24 January 2019, 16:34:19 »
Can't wait for it to ship -- I've had the case ready and waiting for months haha :)

And thanks for doing a giveaway! (Though I think you're missing a link to what the standard Campine mk I looks like.)

Gah, thanks for the catch! Updated.

Glad to hear you're excited! I'm looking forward to getting these into everyones hands!  :thumb:

Offline OkKarma

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 16 February 2019, 02:31:38 »
When do you anticipate the EU proxy will receive the PCBs and plates?

Offline AlexAtPanc

• Panc Interactive
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 16 February 2019, 16:44:20 »
Everything is getting packed up and ready to go out my friend! Expect good news from myKeyboard.eu very soon!

Offline GigaFlop

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 19 February 2019, 20:57:23 »
I heard tracking is on its way, looking forward to receiving it!
Oh god why did my wallet get so thin

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 19 February 2019, 23:52:30 »
I've received tracking, but unless there is a glitch in the system, it doesn't look like it has been dropped off yet. Tracking was sent on the 14th

Offline Lucien Midnight

• Ridkey Studio Keycaps
    • Ridkey Studio Order Form
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 20 February 2019, 10:15:22 »
Ah jeez i'm just seeing this now. Totally would have bought one without hesitation. Hope you bring it back!

Offline AlexAtPanc

• Panc Interactive
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 20 February 2019, 15:56:17 »

Thanks all for your patience. If anyone has any questions or concerns, please let me know!

• [sqeleton]
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 20 February 2019, 23:41:39 »
Yesss got my tracking! Excited :)

(For those who won the Boardwalk / Calm Depths raffle, I assume more details are still forthcoming? Haven't heard more for about 6 weeks. No rush though -- I know you must be at peak workload right now!)

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 21 February 2019, 00:09:57 »
Yesss got my tracking! Excited :)

(For those who won the Boardwalk / Calm Depths raffle, I assume more details are still forthcoming? Haven't heard more for about 6 weeks. No rush though -- I know you must be at peak workload right now!)

There was a winner, but it wasn't announced publicly AFAIK. I asked about a month ago because I was curious.

Offline Woovie

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 21 February 2019, 02:31:25 »
Will more PCBs and plates be for sale?

• [sqeleton]
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 21 February 2019, 07:35:31 »
There was a winner, but it wasn't announced publicly AFAIK. I asked about a month ago because I was curious.

There were multiple winners! I was one. I was just asking about the instructions for claiming the prize.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #30 on: Fri, 22 February 2019, 10:42:20 »
Celebration Time,

its in the mail and I will have it tomorrow. w00t!! this hobby is out of control! i just finished another keyboard yesterday and another the week before!!

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #31 on: Sun, 24 February 2019, 12:39:36 »
Ignore this nothing to see here
« Last Edit: Sun, 24 February 2019, 13:35:41 by Glod »

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #32 on: Sun, 24 February 2019, 13:28:06 »
Things look good, high quality, will build next week.

Boardwalk

« Last Edit: Sun, 24 February 2019, 14:00:04 by Glod »

Offline OkKarma

« Reply #33 on: Wed, 06 March 2019, 05:34:33 »
So uh, have the boards been sent to mykeyboard.eu yet? I haven't heard anything.

Offline AlexAtPanc

• Panc Interactive
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 06 March 2019, 19:29:22 »
So uh, have the boards been sent to mykeyboard.eu yet? I haven't heard anything.

Yep, shipment is on it's way! The delay was caused because I was having trouble locating the custom plate that was going to the EU; 100% my fault and not that of mykeyboard.eu. I apologize to you and all EU customers for the delay.

Offline AlexAtPanc

• Panc Interactive
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 06 March 2019, 19:30:36 »
Also, some specific updates:

• If you purchased with no powdercoating option and/or no additional bundle, you should have received your tracking already. If you haven't, or are unsure, let me know.
  • Because of the wicked cold, powdercoating productivity has fallen. I'm going to be sending out the plates as they are completed. Keep an eye out for your tracking.
  • Campine machining is proceeding apace.
  • The QMK Boardwalk repo has been committed. Check it out here.
  • Shensmobile has put together a dynamite build guide which you can find right here. If you have any questions about putting it together, feel free to reply here or ask in the GH thread.

Offline AlexAtPanc

• Panc Interactive
« Reply #36 on: Tue, 19 March 2019, 16:08:41 »

Boardwalks are being built! Huge thank you to Alybuilds for letting us use this amazing build image here.

• myKeyboard.eu shipment is en route. It's entered the bpost customs and seems to be cleared, and is waiting for distribution to the recipient. All myKeyboard.eu orders, looks like everything should be coming shortly!
  • All main non-EU (US and international) shipments have been generated. If you haven't at least received tracking info, please get in touch with me either via PM or email and we'll get everything sorted.
  • The Campine bundle bottoms are almost finished, and will be on their way to me quickly.
  • Extras are available, and if you're interested, feel free to PM me here or on Reddit.

I hope everyone is enjoying their parts! If anyone has any questions or concerns, please let me know.
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 March 2019, 18:53:30 by AlexAtPanc »

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 20 March 2019, 13:59:40 »

Gallery: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmaVGtBg

The leds hit the structure bars of my TEX case, though because it is symetrical and stable I may not do anything about it.

Aliaz Silent Switches 70g, Nautilus GMK

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 20 March 2019, 16:55:52 »
Did you lube your Aliaz switches?

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #39 on: Wed, 20 March 2019, 19:12:56 »
Did you lube your Aliaz switches?
Nope!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Offline heavyheaded

« Reply #40 on: Wed, 03 April 2019, 10:29:18 »
I'm still waiting on any sort of update. No news in 2 months.

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #41 on: Wed, 03 April 2019, 14:23:15 »
Did you get plates? If so, what kind? AFAIK everything has been shipped except possibly the plates.  I think they were waiting for warmer weather in order to powder coat or anodize.

Offline AlexAtPanc

• Panc Interactive
« Reply #42 on: Wed, 03 April 2019, 16:50:27 »
I'm still waiting on any sort of update. No news in 2 months.

Sorry for not emailing the updates! I was slacking on that. but I updated the GH thread on March 19 and figured everyone on the bundle list was subscribed there. Sorry again!

The parts should be on their way to me in tomorrow. I'll update all as soon as I have tracking for them. Thanks for your patience!

Alex

Offline macken

« Reply #43 on: Thu, 25 April 2019, 12:00:53 »
Any extras available? Looking for PCB and a plate.

Offline Rayndalf

« Reply #44 on: Thu, 25 April 2019, 12:53:29 »
I messaged him on reddit mid March and was able to order one easily. I believe extras are still available

Offline rumlyne

• ortho, ergo, ertho?!
« Reply #45 on: Tue, 30 April 2019, 07:31:36 »
EU-Proxy buyers! You received your boardwalk yet? I inquired with the proxy and they said they were still waiting for some parts...? This was weeks ago. Anybody know anything?
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 May 2019, 08:47:46 by rumlyne »

Insert Signature without plastics

Offline tacahiroy

« Reply #46 on: Tue, 07 May 2019, 08:08:26 »
Has anyone got the Campine bundle of Boardwalk PCB and plate?

Offline KingOfMemes

« Reply #47 on: Tue, 07 May 2019, 08:40:25 »

USA here, last update I got from the bundle was March 20th via email. I'm not involved in discord, though

Offline AlexAtPanc

• Panc Interactive
« Reply #48 on: Tue, 07 May 2019, 09:03:24 »

USA here, last update I got from the bundle was March 20th via email. I'm not involved in discord, though

Hey folks, sorry for not updating here! The parts are waiting in Customs currently. I'm planning on calling on at the end of the week, as they've been hanging around for a bit.

If anyone is still waiting for a non-bundle shipment, regardless of whether they ordered via directly or through a proxy, please contact me via any communications channel you prefer at your earliest convenience so we can get it straightened out (email/slack/discord/reddit PM/geekhack PM).

Thanks!
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 May 2019, 09:55:41 by AlexAtPanc »

Offline KingOfMemes

« Reply #49 on: Tue, 07 May 2019, 09:19:00 »

Hey folks, sorry for not updating here! The parts are waiting in Customs currently. I'm planning on calling on at the end of the week, as they've been hanging around for a bit.

If anyone is still waiting for a non-bundle shipment, regardless of whether they ordered via directly or through a proxy, please feel free to contact me via any communications channel you prefer (email/slack/discord/reddit PM/geekhack PM).

Thanks!

Bless up fam, trust. Can't wait for this one :)