Author Topic: [IC] KBM Vibrant Nights  (Read 8938 times)

Offline adi

• adi.kbds; Consider ePBT Fruit Chew
    • Adi Nikumbh
[IC] KBM Vibrant Nights
« on: Wed, 29 June 2022, 18:55:04 »
KBM Vibrant Nights

A dual gradient navy set themed after the night sky

IC FORM

To keep up to date with development and news about this set, join my discord server.
Additionally, feel free to follow my Instagram.

This set is the brainchild of a unique idea I had; a dual gradient, one captured within the base keycap color, and another within the sublegend colors. The color scheme and naming is partially derived from the Tokyo Nights IDE theme, but the idea has since grown past an IDE set as we have seen before. I chose to go with simplistic kitting for this set, only a base kit, alpha kit, minimal spacebar kit (this kit will have MOQ integrated with the base kit), 40s kit, and a possible novelty kit.

NOTICE: I am aware that this set is full reverse-dye sub. I have chosen Keybee as my manufacturer because they have assured me that they will be able to produce crisp reverse dye sub without any warping. Before any of you keeb weebs give me your money, I will be receiving a full set of samples of this set in order to ensure that they can live up to this promise. If it is not up to my expectations (I hate misalignment and warping just as much as you!), we will figure it out from there.

Profile: Cherry
Material: Dye sublimated PBT
Manufacturer: Keybee

Kitting

Thoughts behind kitting
More
I went simple with this one. I didn't find an accent color that I liked for this set, so I instead opted to try to fit as much compatibility in the base kit as possible. The tiny-ass spacebar kit is just for those weird people who like things like 6u, dual 3u (dual 3u is based ngl) and need a few blanks for their spacebar kit. I anticipate it to be cheap and the MOQ will be integrated with the base kit in order to make sure that it is produced.

Board Renders

Credits, Haus by Hand Engineering, Phoenix by Cable Car Designs, MB44 by melonbread, Dalco 959 by Hand Engineering, OGR by Alchemist Keyboards,

Deskmat- TBA? Possibly?

GB Date/Timeline

Keybee's production has been said to take roughly 3 months after the GB ends. This is because there is sampling that is done before the group buy. Please read the note above about my expectations for these samples.

Vendors

US: TBA
CAD: TBA
CN: TBA
AU: TBA
PH/SEA: TBA
EU: TBA
UK: TBA
JP: TBA

To-do list:

Finalize kitting
Recieve and appove samples
Figure out if y'all want deskmats and novelties
Get all vendors
Collabs?
GB Date
Profit

Collaborations: TBA

Contact

Please ping me in my server instead of DM'ing me if you have questions, feel free to DM me if you have collabs, want to reach out to vendor, etc.

Thank you to:

Ben from Otakeebs for helping me with everything
hali and Nopun for helping with kitting
MVKB for helping with some renders
John for wishing me luck

Change log:

6/29/2022: Posted IC

« Last Edit: Wed, 29 June 2022, 20:02:44 by adi »

Offline scantron

• Route 66 Cable Co.
Re: [IC] KBM Vibrant Nights
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 29 June 2022, 18:57:12 »
You're a star in my night sky Adi <3, Sign me up for 3!
« Last Edit: Wed, 29 June 2022, 19:55:08 by scantron »
Consider http://www.route66cables.co for all your wire and cable needs.

Offline adi

• Adi Nikumbh
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 29 June 2022, 18:57:21 »
reserved

Offline zhol

• zhol
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 29 June 2022, 19:00:23 »
alright buddy i don't know what this "ide" crap is but which waifu is this based off of
i'm zhol

Offline NovaRMK

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 29 June 2022, 19:17:11 »
I love it

Offline Nishi-

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 29 June 2022, 21:07:34 »
I think the double gradient looks great! Good luck with IC.
[/url]

Offline .jan

• keebsta
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 30 June 2022, 02:09:12 »
good stuff

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 30 June 2022, 02:47:19 »
I like gradiant colors
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline Mr Chrome

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 30 June 2022, 03:02:30 »
Too much going on for me with two different colour gradients, but I like the idea :thumb:
“This plastic rectangle is alright. The plastic rectangles on top of it, though...”

Offline surplusofchairs

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 30 June 2022, 08:42:02 »
very nice concept adi. can i request tenders with the alt alphas please

Offline LittleAad

• Hello
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 30 June 2022, 10:44:37 »
you have two of the same numpad enters in ur base kit.

Offline adi

• Adi Nikumbh
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 30 June 2022, 18:34:29 »
you have two of the same numpad enters in ur base kit.

will fix

mfw blender doesn't save and i don't notice

Offline PancakeGoon

• *•° tape hiss *•~
    • goonf!sh.beets~
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 01 July 2022, 02:38:26 »
Copying my comment on the Reddit thread for visibility...

First of all, I'm in love with how this looks rendered on that MB44. 🤤

Although (and I don't necessarily think the current color should be thrown out completely, it is your set)...
    I personally think this would look much better all-around with mods-matched spacebars! Please, at least give it a shot in some renders before dismissing the idea - but I think it would add a clean, natural frame around the alphas this way. I think the current configuration of Dark Blurple bars next to the Black mods is a bit too close in shade, breaking the otherwise consistent gradient & direction in a way that's kind of, for lack of a better word... "annoying" in the peripheral vision? Idk, just seems like the choice was an afterthought...

Could call it an "(Un)accent Kit" too, which is sorta neat.

I actually do like the subtle-separation of color when used here as split-spacebars, and specifically on a small 40. But another potentially more interesting option for a real accent split-bars kit; keep the Dark Blurple minibars for left-spacebar as it matches the ASD-columns, but use the shade of Blue used in the JKL-column for right-spacebar! The color gradient is perfectly aligned for this already, it'd be a shame to pass up such a convenient opportunity & would also spare another solid gradient set from the cruel punishment of gaudy gradient-matching accent bars!

Offline LumiP

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 01 July 2022, 04:10:49 »
Night sky themes are my fave, can't wait to see the samples. GLWIC
More
Current Boards: Aaru TKL Old Dark Sand, Drop + Planck Purple, Mr Suit WKL Black w/Gold Chamfers, Sangeo60 Black, KBD67Lite White, D45 E-Grey, Wind X Pink, NCR 80 Beige, EVO70 Black, White; QK65 Dark Green, Av4 Claymore, TGR x Monokei Tomo Suave Blue, Heracles80 Holy White, Snake60 Rust, Array E-White, Capsule E-White, QK75 E-White

Offline adi

• Adi Nikumbh
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 05 July 2022, 00:19:57 »
Copying my comment on the Reddit thread for visibility...

First of all, I'm in love with how this looks rendered on that MB44. 🤤

Although (and I don't necessarily think the current color should be thrown out completely, it is your set)...
    I personally think this would look much better all-around with mods-matched spacebars! Please, at least give it a shot in some renders before dismissing the idea - but I think it would add a clean, natural frame around the alphas this way. I think the current configuration of Dark Blurple bars next to the Black mods is a bit too close in shade, breaking the otherwise consistent gradient & direction in a way that's kind of, for lack of a better word... "annoying" in the peripheral vision? Idk, just seems like the choice was an afterthought...

Could call it an "(Un)accent Kit" too, which is sorta neat.

I actually do like the subtle-separation of color when used here as split-spacebars, and specifically on a small 40. But another potentially more interesting option for a real accent split-bars kit; keep the Dark Blurple minibars for left-spacebar as it matches the ASD-columns, but use the shade of Blue used in the JKL-column for right-spacebar! The color gradient is perfectly aligned for this already, it'd be a shame to pass up such a convenient opportunity & would also spare another solid gradient set from the cruel punishment of gaudy gradient-matching accent bars!

Definetely like the idea about the split bars, will try to implement that somewhere in the kitting, just not sure how.

this is what I'm working with

Offline Cylent

• Formerly cylentshadows
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 05 July 2022, 07:28:50 »
Hey adi, neat concept! Some thoughts.

I don't feel that the black mods are cohesive here. A very dark navy feels more in-line with the overall vibes of the gradient, and would fit better imo.

Where you lose me design-wise is in these mods. Caps and shift are top left aligned, while the rest are vertically centered, and the nav cluster are top left aligned?  And R2 delete is a completely different legend than R1 delete. Overall the inconsistencies need fixing.

From a customer perspective, I'm much more concerned with the reverse dyesub and large number of colors that will need to be matched. I'd recommend a long IC and fully approved set samples before running this one. It's certainly a unique idea and a pretty gradient, so I hope everything works out in the end. GLWIC  :thumb:

Offline Fancytuna

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 08 July 2022, 05:27:23 »
Definitely agree with using navy colour on the mods rather than black, pls consider this. Not a fan of the black mods against the lightest blue in the gradient. Other than that I love the double gradient idea.

Offline adi

• Adi Nikumbh
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 09 July 2022, 00:43:46 »
Hey adi, neat concept! Some thoughts.

I don't feel that the black mods are cohesive here. A very dark navy feels more in-line with the overall vibes of the gradient, and would fit better imo.

Where you lose me design-wise is in these mods. Caps and shift are top left aligned, while the rest are vertically centered, and the nav cluster are top left aligned?  And R2 delete is a completely different legend than R1 delete. Overall the inconsistencies need fixing.

From a customer perspective, I'm much more concerned with the reverse dyesub and large number of colors that will need to be matched. I'd recommend a long IC and fully approved set samples before running this one. It's certainly a unique idea and a pretty gradient, so I hope everything works out in the end. GLWIC  :thumb:

I hear you on the icons, Im currently thinking of just doing a full custom set of mods. Ill test out the navy mods as well!

Offline TheDodger

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 10 July 2022, 14:51:46 »
Nice, but no ortho, so I'm out.

Offline Cylent

• Formerly cylentshadows
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 10 July 2022, 15:20:47 »
Nice, but no ortho, so I'm out.

Uh, I'm pretty sure ortho is covered in the 40s kit, unless I'm mistaken.

Offline Iciycle

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 22 July 2022, 15:49:21 »
I like this

Offline adi

• Adi Nikumbh
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 27 July 2022, 18:20:37 »

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 28 July 2022, 07:54:46 »
Nice gradient set. We dont get much of those.
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline jabe8i

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 28 July 2022, 09:09:08 »
Adding the gradient on the split spacebars would be cool but I can get why it won't work in alot of situations.

Offline adi

• Adi Nikumbh
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 14 June 2023, 12:52:42 »
Developments coming, I promise... it's been a bit.