geekhack Community > Other Geeky Stuff

OLED for PC gaming (LG 48CX) - new question: burn-in process

(1/11) > >>

phinix:
New question: burn-in process
From Post #34

--------------------------
I wanted to get some new monitor for my PC and was wondering if its worth getting OLED.
At this moment I have 4K 40" Philips monitor.

I was looking at some cheapest OLEDs, like around £900, like 55" Philips 55OLED754.
That new LG CX 48" looks good, but its more expensive.
Reason is Iw ould like to change something in overall gaming experience, more vivid colors, amazing blacks etc.

I don't play a lot, most of the time I work on it, gaming is about 30% of the time. I'm worried about burning issues, especially using Windows a lot, where there might be a lot of static elements on the screen for a long time.

I don't want to end up having my OLED burnt areas after few years of usage.

Is it a good moment of buying one, or should I better get some cheaper LED TV, like Samsung 50" TU7100 and forget about OLED?

ycanales:
Something that surprised me is that often OLED are less bright than mid-tier/high-tier LEDs.

But i’m also curious about trying OLED.

edit: burn in shouldn’t be an issue with automatic maintenance programs in modern OLEDs, check out RTINGS burn in test in youtube for more insight.

noisyturtle:
i wish i had your problems

tp4tissue:
Only the NEW oleds will have complete HDMI 2.1 specs.

You'd have to buy at least the LG C9, last year's model to have variable refresh sync features.

For burn-ins, if you set the peak brightness to ~100nits,  it shouldn't be a problem, but if you push it at 200-300, saturated colors will definitely cause some blotching over time.

Oleds don't have the highest motion clarity, so you can game on them, and the image quality is good because of the deep black level,  but in terms of raw performance,  the latest Gen Fast-IPS lcds are still more clear for fragging.

tp4tissue:

--- Quote from: ycanales on Fri, 06 November 2020, 19:43:59 ---Something that surprised me is that often OLED are less bright than mid-tier/high-tier LEDs.

But i’m also curious about trying OLED.

--- End quote ---

Oleds have lower Full-Field brightness due to ABL, and Screen burn mitigation.

But in terms of peak brightness, they can get up there for very short durations.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version