geekhack Marketplace > Great Finds

Model M 84-key spacesaver from Ebay

(1/3) > >>

iMav:
Well, I picked up two Model M 84-key spacesavers (Model M "mini"s) from Ebay this past weekend.  The first of two arrived today.  Here are some pics:

Packed pretty decently (was surrounded by packing peanuts as well):

Here it is fresh out of the packing material:

The "birth certificate":

YUCK!!!!

A bit dirty but appears to be in good shape:

12 plastic "rivots" broken.  Actually pretty decent (30-some still intact):

Nice and clean:

Here are those broken rivots that were rattling around loose:

No keycaps on this model.  (I was actually a bit surprised simply because my "new" one has the keycaps):

I love the Model M's...but it floors me that a keyboard that was/is so solid has such an obvious Achilles Heel with the plastic rivots.  They are notorious for breaking off quite easily.  Fortunately, this keyboard has aged well.

xsphat:
I now fully understand why you loath used keyboards. What are you going to do with the spacesavers?

- giveaway - contest - hoard -

Mikecase00:
Nice boards.

I've been using Ms for years now, one in particular has been my everyday axe for at least 7 years now, and it hasn't suffered a single broken plastic rivet.  They sure do look like a failure point, and a few of theboards I've purchased have had broken rivits, but I've never actually figured out how to break one myself under normal use.

nrp:
Do you guys replace the rivots? With what?

I have 3 model Ms here.

Two are perfect. One is a little stiff. All keys. It's like they use a different spring.

iMav:

--- Quote from: nrp;2550 ---Do you guys replace the rivots?
--- End quote ---

Repairing a Model M.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version