geekhack Community > Off Topic

Unhacking the wallet

<< < (2/55) > >>

intelli78:
^ Makes sense, I have also heard "If you have to convince yourself you want it, you'll regret it." Usually I have found that to be true.

bueller:

--- Quote from: intelli78 on Fri, 23 January 2015, 04:37:33 ---Dude, glad you were able to get it under control. You make a really good point too about browsing. The natural mindset is:

see something cool --> must own it

However it often turns out that owning it is not as great as you expect. A surprising amount of pleasure can be had just by enjoying photos online and living vicariously...

--- End quote ---

Yep. It's really easy to get swept up browsing the photos here and feeling like you need "catch up". Fact of the matter is there is ALWAYS someone who has something awesome. Trying to keep up with the Joneses just isn't worth it.

I've adopted the "sleep on it" attitude when it comes to purchases online now, I used to just rip out the Paypal account the second I found something at the right price but now I wait till the next day and I can usually rationalise not needing it.

Unless it's a Brobot or a Clack, those guys still have the keys to the kingdom  :))

iri:

--- Quote from: tbc on Fri, 23 January 2015, 04:43:34 ---at the end of the day, you'll find a highly correlation between regrettable purchases and 'just because' reasons.

--- End quote ---
you never know if buying a keyboard with the desirable seemingly-perfect switch will be regrettable or not.

bueller:

--- Quote from: iri on Fri, 23 January 2015, 04:47:43 ---
--- Quote from: tbc on Fri, 23 January 2015, 04:43:34 ---at the end of the day, you'll find a highly correlation between regrettable purchases and 'just because' reasons.

--- End quote ---
you never know if buying a keyboard with the desirable seemingly-perfect switch will be regrettable or not.

--- End quote ---

Most of those problems can be solved with a switch tester these days though, at least with MX. Most people should be able to narrow it down to one or two switches based off a couple of minutes with the tester. Topre is a whole other story though and it can be pricey to try them out, one of the main reasons I haven't gone down that path.

kurplop:
Your thread makes some good points. Over the years, I've had a quite a few interests that bordered on obsessions. I think it's fairly common, for us guys especially, to be driven by our desires to a point where we neglect our responsibilities because we are so focused on that one, all important thing. I've also found that as my interest begins to wane, I would sometimes throw even more money at it to try to revive it; a big mistake.

I have gained much from the GH community. I've got to meet some very nice people and have learned a lot. I think the trick is to make sure that we are controlling our desires and not the other way around.

Thanks for sharing your experience with the community.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version