geekhack Projects > Making Stuff Together!

[opensource] XMMX | TKL PCB for Cherry and ALPS

(1/12) > >>

TalkingTree:
Introduction
The XMMX is a Tenkeyless PCB designed to work with MX compatible switches as well as ALPS SKCL/SKCM and their clones.
The project is available opensource under a Creative Commons BY-SA 3.0 license here.

Layouts

Dots are LEDs indicators, there are two different indicators that could be populated either in switch or in their dedicated position.

Cases compatibility
This PCB is inteded to fit the Cooler Master Quickfire Rapid (not the Rapid-i) and the Filco Majestouch 2 TKL cases, although it could fit some other commercial TKL cases.
If you're looking for a way to make your TKL keyboard programmable without replacing the PCB, please have a look at bpiphany's replacement controllers.

The USB connector for this PCB is placed on the bottomside of the PCB between Esc and F1.
Alternatively, a JST ph connector could be used in the USB breakout to avoid any modification to the case.

Case nameCompatibleNotesCooler Master Quickfire RapidYesTestedCooler Master Quickfire Rapid-iNODifferent mounting supportsGANSS G.S 87PossibleUntested but looks identical to the Filco Majestouch 2Filco Majestouch 1PossibleUntested but should be identical to the Majestouch 2Filco Majestouch 2YesTestedFilco ZeroPossibleUntested but should be identical to the Majestouch 2iKBC G87NODifferent mounting supportsKBParadise V80PossibleUntested but looks identical to the Cooler Master Quickfire RapidKUL ES-87NODifferent mounting supportsNorbatouchNODoesn't support the QFRWASD V2 TKLPossibleUntested but looks identical to the Cooler Master Quickfire RapidYMDK CNC CaseYesTested by a fellow GHer whom I provided with an ealier revision of the PCB

Parts needed
This is intended to be a DIY kit so to assemble the board yourself you need the following electronic components:
QuantityDescriptionManufacturer part numberSymbol1XMMX PCB1Atmel ATmega32u4ATMEGA32U4-AUU1116MHz crystalX322516MOB4SIX1222pf capacitorCL21C220JBANNNCC1, C2961N4148 diode1N4148W (1N4148WS would also fit)D1 to D96222 Ohm resistor0805W8J0220T5ER1, R211 kOhm resistor0805W8F1001T5ER531uF capacitorCL21F105ZOFNNNEC3 to C750.1uF capacitor0805F104M500NTC8 to C10116 pins USB type-C SMD connectorTYPE-C16PIN
Please note: Part numbers are just for reference, it's not mandatory to use those, just make sure that capacitors and resistors are form factor 0805 and diodes are SOD-123.
You can use your own crystal of choice as long as it's paired with the correct capacitors.

You also need:

* Two discrete LEDs and Two 0805 resistors for them;
* one JST ph 5 pin connector (optional, in place of the USB connector);
* a set of stabilizers;
* up to 96 switches.
Firmwares

* EasyAVR: Starting from v3.00.01, the XMMX is now officially supported.
* QMK: XMMX is now officially supported.
Updates

* v1.1: Replaced USB mini with Type-C. Fixed misalignments.

TalkingTree:
reserved

_haru:
If you made this compatible with through-hole diodes and a CNT-013 Arduino Micro or Teensy 2.0 (Arduino is much cheaper) this would be a lot easier and cheaper for people to use. I for one would love this board but I can't solder SMD :(

Also, for the next revision, consider adding support for Alps-style stepped caps lock. That would open up a lot more keycap compatibility for those of us who want to use this with Alps switches.

TalkingTree:

--- Quote from: _haru on Mon, 08 January 2018, 07:42:46 ---If you made this compatible with through-hole diodes and a CNT-013 Arduino Micro or Teensy 2.0 (Arduino is much cheaper) this would be a lot easier and cheaper for people to use.

--- End quote ---
I see what you mean but please understand that these are PCBs I make for myself and then release opensource hoping that it could be useful to someone else out there.
I, for one, have no interest in such modifications but the source is open to anyone for this very purpose.

--- Quote from: _haru on Mon, 08 January 2018, 07:42:46 ---consider adding support for Alps-style stepped caps lock.

--- End quote ---
Is that different from a MX stepped caps lock? If not, it's already supported.

_haru:

--- Quote from: TalkingTree on Mon, 08 January 2018, 07:50:54 ---I see what you mean but please understand that these are PCBs I make for myself and then release opensource hoping that it could be useful to someone else out there.
I, for one, have no interest in such modifications but the source is open to anyone for this very purpose.

I completely understand. Thanks for the clarification, I'll chuck it to my PCB designer friend and see what he can do :D

Is that different from a MX stepped caps lock? If not, it's already supported.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, it's a bit different. Take a look at this:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version