Author Topic: [GB] DCS Reaper - In Production  (Read 35598 times)

Offline FatefulStranger

Re: [GB] DCS Reaper - GB Over - All Kits Will Be Made!
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 14 July 2022, 11:26:32 »
Any update on this? Is it still on track for Q4 delivery?

Offline lakeboredom

« Reply #51 on: Fri, 30 September 2022, 07:21:29 »
Any idea which vendor has extras? I regret not getting an alps kit.

Offline Fraaaan

« Reply #52 on: Fri, 30 September 2022, 08:36:32 »
Any idea which vendor has extras? I regret not getting an alps kit.

Most, if not all, vendors who ran the set during GB are going to have extras.

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #53 on: Fri, 30 September 2022, 19:35:41 »
I have no idea what to put this on and I will still buy extras
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline Aiwanei

• ThocKeys.com
« Reply #54 on: Tue, 06 December 2022, 15:59:39 »
This set is currently in production and still scheduled to ship to vendors this month.

Attached are two sample photos I received.

ThocKeys.com

Offline Skok

Re: [GB] DCS Reaper - In Production
« Reply #55 on: Wed, 07 December 2022, 13:41:33 »
def gonna need to hop in on extras, looks great

Offline joeyhokusai

« Reply #56 on: Tue, 17 January 2023, 21:50:59 »
Any updates for this set?

Offline ZavaZ86

« Reply #57 on: Fri, 03 February 2023, 14:23:04 »
So... Knowing that SP haven't been doing too great lately with 9009 and sol dark I decided to check my stuff that I received today and what a ****show it is. Went through at best 1/3 of the basekit and took pictures of the worst offenders. How is SP allowing this dog qc...

Offline ankit

• Formerly ankit-sachdeva
« Reply #58 on: Fri, 03 February 2023, 21:22:25 »
1, 3, and 5 look like something you should talk to your vendor about. SP is usually good about replacing defective caps. 1st one looks like it would come off with some water.
3 is normal with DCS, literally every key has sprue marks.
4 is the wrong mold being used.

All the issues with 9009 and sol dark were resolved by SP
There were no reported issues with DCS alchemy and DCS blue moon which were the last 2 sets to ship before reaper
« Last Edit: Sat, 11 February 2023, 13:11:26 by ankit »
collection:
More
  Daal, Emp Mini, HHKB x5, Horsey, Prophet, RS60, Seis Cero, Unikorn, Pixy Mini

Offline ZavaZ86

« Reply #59 on: Sat, 04 February 2023, 03:30:43 »
Im not paying my ass out for SP to make a product that they "qc" in which i have to qc and inspect myself once again because they are doing a bad job. Secondly it doesn't come off with some water. Thirdly, while they might resolve the issue which is good it still calls into question the general quality and qc that they provide which is equal to cheap china sets when looking at these things. But yea screw me for not wanting to manually check every single key because SP can't do a proper job

Offline ankit

« Reply #60 on: Sat, 04 February 2023, 04:15:10 »
If you are actually expecting absolutely 100% perfect QC for all 525 base kits from a tiny manufacturer like SP and then comparing it with chinese alternatives then there's nothing much more to be said here
I honestly don't see the issue here if they are willing to replace defective keys, it's not like scratches from shipping are unheard of

edit: This is what SP looks like and this is what manufacturing looks like at SP. Hopefully this provides more context for my take above.
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 February 2023, 02:26:07 by ankit »
collection:
More

Offline ZavaZ86

« Reply #61 on: Sat, 04 February 2023, 05:39:46 »
I own multiple new GMK sets so just pack up already

In no way in any form or way am I saying Im expecting 100% perfect QC

While SP is a smaller manufacturer it does not give them the pass to do such a bad job but that does not seem to matter much with you unless it's another company making them. But then again your opinion aren't coloured...

Every manu will have some sort of smaller issue which is seen across all but the general qc can also get too low. Of course you won't expect the same qc from xmi compared to gmk or sp.

The issue is not them willing to replace defective keys. It's the amount of defective keys in general. Not just with this but in general over the last 3 sets.

Offline Akele

« Reply #62 on: Sat, 04 February 2023, 07:10:24 »
Sadly I agree with ZavaZ86 - the quality of DCS Reaper is just poor. This is my first DCS set, so I wasn't sure what to expect, but I'd thought they'd at least be in the same league as the GMK, PBTFans and Drop sets I currently own. Unfortunately, the finish on DCS Reaper is just all over the place, with some caps looking mottled and a few appearing melted.

I've tried to take some photos to show what I'm talking about. The mottled, inconsistent finish is most apparent on the spacebar (and modifier keys) as shown in the first photo. The second, third and fourth photos show the DCS Reaper spacebar compared to PBTFans WoB and GMK Arch (GMK shown on top, PBTFans in the middle and DCS on the bottom). The last photo shows two of the DCS Fingerbone keys with very different surface finishes. One feels very smooth to the touch as if it's a bit melted and the other is rougher. This is the most extreme example of the difference in finish between the keys in the set, but even on the alphas, some feel noticeably smoother in parts to others (the corned of my Esc key looks like it has actually been slightly melted).

Overall I'm really disappointed in the quality of DCS Reaper compared with my other keysets. If I'd paid £40-50 for them then perhaps I wouldn't have cause for complaint, but they cost me £145 (Base Kit + Extensions + Finger Bones), which is more than it costs for an equivalent set from PBTFans that's miles ahead in quality. I understand that SP is a small manufacturer, but as ZavaZ86 says, that doesn't give them a pass to do a bad job. It's as if my DCS Reaper set was made by the work experience kid at 4pm on a Friday afternoon or something.

Offline GMK83

« Reply #63 on: Sat, 04 February 2023, 09:43:55 »
Maybe I’m not picky but I don’t see a huge issue with the majority of the pictures for my tastes.

Offline Akele

« Reply #64 on: Sat, 04 February 2023, 11:26:23 »
Maybe I’m not picky but I don’t see a huge issue with the majority of the pictures for my tastes.

If you don't mind spending your money on scuffed keycaps then all power to you, but I don't think it's picky to expect a set of £145 keycaps to be decent quality. I'll try take some better pictures tomorrow when it's a bit brighter, but the inconsistent finish is quite noticeable in real life.

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #65 on: Sat, 04 February 2023, 16:56:27 »
pepe profile pic users arguing on a decade old forum is the true proof that this hobby is in shambles

Offline Akele

« Reply #66 on: Sun, 05 February 2023, 07:31:45 »
OK, I've taken a few more photos today of my DCS Reaper set to try and show that the set is actually scuffed and I'm not just trolling for the lolz.

The first photo shows the different in texture between some of the keys in the set. Notice how the PgUp key looks a lot more speckled and rough in texture than the |\ key.
296091-0

The second pic shows the DCS Reaper keys (top) compared to PBTFans WoB (middle) compared to GMK Arch (bottom). Notice how blotchy the colour of the DCS keys are compared to the PBTFans and GMK keys, which are a consistent colour.
296093-1

The third pic shows a bunch of spare DCS Reaper keys in a PBTFans tray, and the fourth pic shows a bunch of spare PBTFans WoB keys in a tray. Again, the DCS Reaper keys are have an inconsistent texture finish and some keys, such as Backspace, Enter and Shift, look very blotchy. It looks like some of the DCS keys are dirty, but that's just how they are. I tried cleaning a few and it makes absolutely no difference.
296095-2 296097-3

The fifth, six, seventh and eight pics show the DCS Reaper keys on my Mode Sonnet compared to the PBTFans WoB keys on my QK65. I've tried to take the photos ofrom the same angle and with the same camera settings in order to provide a like for like comparison between the DCS and PBTFans keycaps. The lines you can see down the middle of some of the DCS caps are not shadows, they're marks on the keys themselves. You can the lines on both the horizontal pics and vertical pics, where the shadows are in different directions. You can also see the difference in textures between the F11 key, which is smooth, and the F12 key, which is rough.
296099-4 296101-5 296103-6 296105-7

While the pics have been taken in bright light and at a high zoom, the worst of the marks are noticeable in dull light, particularly on the modifier keys. It's as if the DCS Reaper keys just look dirty / sweat stained, even though they're actually clean. I've also uploaded the pics to Imgur here: https://imgur.com/a/aizAObp

TLDR: I'm not pleased with the DCS Reaper keyset as I don't think the quality is on par with other sets that are a similar price. If you don't mind keycaps that look blotchy and have inconsistent textures then you may well be very happy with DCS Reaper (the keys look great from a distance), but I'm disappointed with them. I'll probably end up throwing them in the bin or selling them cheaply on eBay using these pics so that any buyers know what they're getting. I'd honestly feel bad to sell these keycaps for anything more than £40.
« Last Edit: Sun, 05 February 2023, 10:21:22 by Akele »

Offline less_blank

« Reply #67 on: Sun, 05 February 2023, 18:09:20 »
oof with how many scuffed sets i've seen recently from several different manufacturers it just doesn't make much sense to join GBs anymore, better off just waiting for extras for the ones that turn out. guess i'll be picking up a cherry charcoal set during the next nk sale instead.

Offline Ranker2

« Reply #68 on: Mon, 06 February 2023, 02:14:41 »
Has anyone received their orders from ThocKeys yet?

Offline Aiwanei

• ThocKeys.com
« Reply #69 on: Mon, 06 February 2023, 10:11:34 »
Has anyone received their orders from ThocKeys yet?

The package with most of the child kits got stuck in transit and didn't arrive until late last week. With the issues being reported by the sets other vendors shipped, we are gathering data and plan on going back to the manufacturer to see if we can figure out a solution before shipping.
ThocKeys.com

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #70 on: Mon, 06 February 2023, 16:21:54 »
So... Knowing that SP haven't been doing too great lately with 9009 and sol dark I decided to check my stuff that I received today and what a ****show it is. Went through at best 1/3 of the basekit and took pictures of the worst offenders. How is SP allowing this dog qc...

2 is a sprue mark and exists on basically every injection molded product you have ever bought. people complain about them less on GMK sets because they're on the back instead of the front and sides.

4 is an incorrect mold

rest of these look like pretty standard injection molding wear and tear

if 1 doesn't rub out with your finger, i'd contact the vendor about it but these are otherwise nothing to be peeved by

-snip-

same here, this all looks pretty normal to me. i have recent GMK sets with wild differences in texture like this. it's normal with the wear and tear on the injection mold and a little more common with thin parts like DCS keycaps, and more visible on dark colors. the texture will even out with use, since these are ABS.

i would be pretty surprised if SP does anything major other than remake the keys with incorrect legends.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Akele

« Reply #71 on: Sat, 11 February 2023, 06:41:34 »
Quote from: Puddsy

same here, this all looks pretty normal to me. i have recent GMK sets with wild differences in texture like this. it's normal with the wear and tear on the injection mold and a little more common with thin parts like DCS keycaps, and more visible on dark colors. the texture will even out with use, since these are ABS.

i would be pretty surprised if SP does anything major other than remake the keys with incorrect legends.

I hope for the sake of everyone that joined your DCS Dark Sky GB Purdsy that SP do a better job of manufacturing those caps than they DCS Reaper.

I only have 3 GMK keycaps sets, 5 PBTFans sets, 2 Drop sets and 2 DCS sets, but I can unequivocally say that DCS Reaper is the most scuffed set I own. My DCS Blue Moon set isn't nearly as bad in terms of inconsistent textures and blotchy marks.

Offline Poesjuh

« Reply #72 on: Tue, 14 February 2023, 13:27:23 »
Recieved my Reaper set last week, and while I can say it's not as bad as other sets posted here it's also definitely the worst DCS set of the ones I have. (For those wondering, 9009 Cherry and Wyse, Alchemy, Delftware and Sleeper.)

Offline elongatedmusk

« Reply #73 on: Wed, 15 February 2023, 09:31:38 »
Recieved my Reaper set last week, and while I can say it's not as bad as other sets posted here it's also definitely the worst DCS set of the ones I have. (For those wondering, 9009 Cherry and Wyse, Alchemy, Delftware and Sleeper.)

Curious why this is the worst one you have, may I know why?

This will be my first DCS though, so is it bad in terms of QC/final product compared to the previous sets, aesthetics coming out not what it's supposed to be, or any other reasoning?

Offline Poesjuh

« Reply #74 on: Wed, 15 February 2023, 09:33:27 »
I’d say it’s mostly due to the fact that it’s black :P any texture difference is way more visible than on lighter sets. Solarized dark is relatively dark as well but I can’t really find texture difference there.

Having said that, the capslock on my GMK Arch set looks pre-shined compared to the other mods, so gmk is far from perfect either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Mecxs

« Reply #75 on: Sat, 18 February 2023, 03:59:58 »
Got mine.

There's definitely weird banding in the plastic on some of the mods. But only when I look at it up close with lots of light. On closer inspection, my Sol Dark has the same thing - I would never have noticed it if this post hadn't pointed it out.

The speckliness is just SP. My DSS Shale has the same thing. Ditto DCS WoB.

My keys don't look anything like those posted by Akele. Although I am also not looking at them in the same light. Still, those photos look extreme, so maybe Akele just got a bad batch?

The 1.5u backspace is definitely borked though. I assume it will be replaced, but haven't contacted my vendor yet.

I'm happy with the set overall - though I only bought the basekit, so can't speak to the quality of things like the novelties.

Offline Poesjuh

« Reply #76 on: Sat, 04 March 2023, 10:30:51 »

Picture of my set (base only) on a 60%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

« Reply #77 on: Wed, 15 March 2023, 16:38:33 »
Did ThocKeys ship anything yet? Changed my address a month ago.

Offline Ranker2

« Reply #78 on: Thu, 16 March 2023, 03:10:10 »
Waiting for ThocKeys as well.  What's going on with the vendor?

Offline elongatedmusk

« Reply #79 on: Thu, 16 March 2023, 07:51:18 »
Was about to ask about Thockeys orders lol

The last time I emailed them, which is around 2 weeks ago, they said that they skipped the week prior due to local holidays or something, but haven't heard any follow-up ever since

Offline ankit

« Reply #80 on: Sat, 01 April 2023, 18:15:31 »
collection:
More

Offline ZavaZ86

« Reply #81 on: Sat, 08 April 2023, 14:55:19 »
Dcs reaper response: "they will not remake the set only send us missing keys."

Rest in piss, you won't be missed dcs.

Offline Aiwanei

• ThocKeys.com
« Reply #82 on: Sat, 08 April 2023, 18:32:37 »

That wasn't the response. If there are issues with the rippling,  they will send replacements, but it's not every key and it's not every copy of every key. When you are talking about 200 different 1u keys between all MX kits, asking them to remake every key from every set when many of the keys are fine for nanny people is kind of a unreasonable ask. They did say they would send replacements to vendors if the keys had the issues that a small number of users have reported about, but it would be on a per request basis.

Also 1.5u backspace is being remade with correct legend
« Last Edit: Sat, 08 April 2023, 18:55:08 by Aiwanei »
ThocKeys.com

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #83 on: Sun, 09 April 2023, 18:04:25 »

That wasn't the response. If there are issues with the rippling,  they will send replacements, but it's not every key and it's not every copy of every key. When you are talking about 200 different 1u keys between all MX kits, asking them to remake every key from every set when many of the keys are fine for nanny people is kind of a unreasonable ask. They did say they would send replacements to vendors if the keys had the issues that a small number of users have reported about, but it would be on a per request basis.

Also 1.5u backspace is being remade with correct legend

you mean that the geekhack ****posters are making unreasonable asks that are well beyond good business practice and reasonable accommodation? say it aint so!
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90