Author Topic: Operating system recomendations.  (Read 11051 times)

Offline lam47

Operating system recomendations.
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 05 January 2009, 17:06:45 »
So how does the whole hackintosh thing work?
My PC is an AMD 6000 my motherboard an asus crosshair. Gpu an 8800 Ultra.
Are there ways to get OSX working with all these bits and bobs.
That would be amazing if its possible.
Keyboards. Happy Hacking pro 2 x2. One white one black. IBM model M US layout. SGI silicone Graphics with rubber dampened ALPS. IBM model F. ALPS apple board, I forget what it is. And some more I forget what I have.

Typewriters. Olivetti Valentine. Imperial Good Companion Model T. Olympia SM3

Offline Repoman

« Reply #51 on: Mon, 05 January 2009, 17:13:31 »
I believe it's possible with your kit - just more difficult unfortunately.

If you have an Core2 processor and intel chipset - and everything is fairly recent - then you don't generally need too many modifications to get things working. A boot disk is all you need to install from the retail DVD. You need to do some work to get the finished partition to boot, but it's not too bad.

AMD needs either decrypted binaries (pain in the proverbial) or an alternative kernel. The good thing is that the darwin kernel sources are free to download, so certain bright sparks have altered it to run on AMD processors, not to mention pre-Core2 intel stuff.

http://www.insanelymac.org has all the details...

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
« Reply #52 on: Mon, 05 January 2009, 18:44:26 »
Of course, that's assuming all your onboard hardware is compatible. In my case... it's not.

(Sound card is supported with speaker output only - no headphone out, no input at all, ethernet isn't supported at all.)

Offline zwmalone

« Reply #53 on: Mon, 05 January 2009, 22:52:24 »
All of my hardware is supported except for the most crucial portion: My WiFi adapter.  It's the most common desktop WiFi adapter (WMP54g) and after several threads on  InsanelyMac and still no progress has been made.  I'm gonna hold off on the OSx86 scene until Snow Leopard...  Maybe some progress will have been made by then.
Can't get enough of them ALPS

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
« Reply #54 on: Tue, 06 January 2009, 00:44:45 »
I'm insane, it looks like I'm gonna take another shot at OSx86... :rolleyes:

Maybe I'll have to get a cheap ancient P3 box, and make it my Win32 app server. :p

Offline Repoman

« Reply #55 on: Tue, 06 January 2009, 13:43:45 »
Go for it bhtooefr! I can't recommend it highly enough once you have a stable install.

I see from one of your posts that your audio codec is currently unsupported (which is it by the way?). I can't remember exactly what it was, but IIRC there are certain cheap usb sound modules that are native compatible which might give you what you are looking for.

I've installed on a few different boxes, so if I can offer any assistance just let me know!

BTW, when I upgraded recently (new motherboard, processor, memory, graphics card - you know, pretty much the full shebang) I stuck my old HD in just for kicks to see if anything would boot. XP crapped itself and fell over...

Whereas my hacked, unsupported install of OS X booted first time... ;)

Make of that what you will!

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
« Reply #56 on: Tue, 06 January 2009, 14:10:08 »
Meh, didn't even boot. Only after I nuked the partition did I realize what the problem was. (SATA AHCI vs. Compatibility, I think.)

Anyway, it's a SoundMax AD1894, IIRC. The AD1890 and AD1896 are perfectly supported, but the 1894 is output-only, and at that, built-in speaker output only, no headphones.

The ethernet is apparently supported, though.

I think I'll try to find an OSx86 installfest or something, though... most of the documentation for my model assumes you're starting with 10.5.2 or older...

Offline Repoman

« Reply #57 on: Tue, 06 January 2009, 15:05:18 »
Well my AD1988b is supported using Taruga's patch - although audio is still admittedly one of the main sticking points. I'm fairly sure I have seen a post from someone who successfully patched the AppleHDA.kext to work with the 1894. Winston Smith I believe it was... (that joke so nearly works...)

Seriously though, there may well have been some progress by now, but if not, there are a few USB sound devices that will fix that issue pretty quickly.

I'd suggest iPC or iDeneb distro's if you are after an installfest - they have pretty much all the quality patches selectable at install time. If you can configure SATA as AHCI instead of legacy compatibility then that does help, but you should still be able to install in legacy mode...

Try iPC and let me know how you go!

Offline zwmalone

« Reply #58 on: Tue, 06 January 2009, 15:23:48 »
I'm thinking about having another go at it as well...  Can I use my same Adobe CS3 keys with the Mac versions?
Can't get enough of them ALPS

Offline Repoman

« Reply #59 on: Tue, 06 January 2009, 15:29:09 »
Sorry zwmalone - can you elaborate?

If I understand and remember correcly the various keyboard shortcuts used in Win CS versus Mac CS are similar, but have a few significant differences (I may be wrong here...) not the least of which is the alt and superkey being transposed. You probably can't use what you are used to right now, but I don't think it would be a huge obstacle for you to come to terms with the Mac layout.

Offline lam47

« Reply #60 on: Tue, 06 January 2009, 16:44:14 »
Good lord it looks complicated.
I'm too afraid.
Don't want to risk messing up my dual boot Ubuntu and Vista.
Still it is tempting.
Keyboards. Happy Hacking pro 2 x2. One white one black. IBM model M US layout. SGI silicone Graphics with rubber dampened ALPS. IBM model F. ALPS apple board, I forget what it is. And some more I forget what I have.

Typewriters. Olivetti Valentine. Imperial Good Companion Model T. Olympia SM3

Offline Repoman

« Reply #61 on: Tue, 06 January 2009, 16:54:51 »
It can be fiddly but it's mostly about knowing your hardware!

If you have an intel processor that supports at least SSE3 and a motherboard with an Intel or nVidia chipset then you are pretty much good to go...

I'd suggest getting hold of a cheapo SATA hard drive and leave your existing install well enough alone whilst you get to grips with it...

Or you could try the new OS X live CD that's been hacked together to see what works and does not...

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
« Reply #62 on: Tue, 06 January 2009, 16:59:00 »
The patched kext you reference... I believe that's the one that gives audio out only.

And, in fact, as I understand, you can get audio out without patching the kext by rapidly plugging and unplugging the machine into/from AC power - the embedded controller makes a beep, and while it's doing that, the OS is able to make sound without a patched kext. (Not that that's at all practical, but it does probably mean that it's all tied to power management.)

Offline Repoman

« Reply #63 on: Tue, 06 January 2009, 17:44:45 »
Funny you mention that - much of the really interesting work going on right now is modifying ACPI info in the BIOS (or repairing mucked up DSDT tables externally) to pass the correct values to the vanilla OS X drivers at boot time, allowing you to avoid messy hacks and fake drivers.

The patched kext I use is pretty old these days, and a lot of talented hackers are focussing on the OS X audio shortcomings so I'd be surprised if there wasn't some kind of way round your problem.

What mobo/processor do you roll with?

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
« Reply #64 on: Tue, 06 January 2009, 17:52:00 »
Whatever mobo that Lenovo put in the ThinkPad X61 Tablet. ;)

And the processor is a Core 2 Duo L7500 LV, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Offline Repoman

« Reply #65 on: Tue, 06 January 2009, 18:05:30 »
OK - just hit the witching hour over here so I'll see what I can find tomorrow and will catch up later :)

Offline cheater1034

« Reply #66 on: Mon, 19 January 2009, 15:17:25 »
just install XP, it's the only windows i would ever install on anyone's machine :)
Linux Kernel for desktops: http://zen-kernel.org
IRC: irc.rizon.net #zen-sources
ML: http://groups.google.com/group/zen_kernel
Use it! Supported on any distribution, managed through git.

Current Keyboard: Filco FKBN87M/EB (Brown Cherry)

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #67 on: Tue, 20 January 2009, 06:26:10 »
Quote from: cheater1034;18786
just install XP, it's the only windows i would ever install on anyone's machine :)

I love Vista; it's fantastic.  I run it on both machines at home with no problems.

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #68 on: Tue, 20 January 2009, 06:49:57 »
Quote from: itlnstln;18899
I love Vista; it's fantastic.  I run it on both machines at home with no problems.

I make it a rule to stay away from the nasty...however, I've heard it is a totally different experience (stability-wise) between 32 and 64-bit Vista.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #69 on: Tue, 20 January 2009, 06:52:35 »
I use x64 on both.  I need Windows for work, so I don't get to try other OSs that often, but Ubuntu was nice when I last tried it.  OSX would work for me, too.  I can do about 95% of my work on a Mac, but I just don't want to pay for one.

Offline cb951303

« Reply #70 on: Tue, 20 January 2009, 09:47:06 »
I use linux since '99 on all my machines. Fortunately I don't need any windows-only applications for work.
Filco Zero FKBN87Z/EB
Kensington Orbit K72337US

Offline cheater1034

« Reply #71 on: Tue, 20 January 2009, 10:12:36 »
Quote from: cb951303;18926
I use linux since '99 on all my machines. Fortunately I don't need any windows-only applications for work.

ditto, the problem with windows is that they come up with innovations that have been around for 10 years already :P (like the new windows 7 task bar). And they seem to set their own standards (IE8 - 12/100 acid3, firefox = 93/100, opera = 100/100, khtml - 86/100, webkit - 100/100)

Atleast from what i hear windows 7 is much better than vista. I absolutely hate vista. But, I don't have any real use for windows anymore so i just prefer the extra hard drive space.
Linux Kernel for desktops: http://zen-kernel.org
IRC: irc.rizon.net #zen-sources
ML: http://groups.google.com/group/zen_kernel
Use it! Supported on any distribution, managed through git.

Current Keyboard: Filco FKBN87M/EB (Brown Cherry)