Author Topic: I am a virgin...  (Read 3044 times)

Offline dlarellano

I am a virgin...
« on: Wed, 03 December 2008, 10:33:48 »
...to this noncrappy-keyboard business and geekhack.

I found this forum through Ars about two months ago and recognized iMav from the perennial Mac setup picture threads on MacRumors. I was cleaning up my bookmarks when I rediscovered geekhack and finally signed up so I could see the keyboard pics thread (I love me some computer pr0n).

As for my keyboards—I got none. I'm typing on a week-old Apple wired alum 'board and I am not liking it. I'd go back to typing on the MacBook Pro's keyboard (which I like better) but my neck would disown me.

I was about ready to spring for a Kinesis Freestyle until I found out they had mushy rubber domes. Black Cherries get ragged on here a lot it seems but I want to give them a try. I'll be ordering an SMK-88 soon—marking the start of my search for the one (or three)-true keyboard.

I am sleep-deprived and looking for an excuse to not work, so forgive the rambling introduction.

'Sup everyone?

Offline wellington1869

I am a virgin...
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 03 December 2008, 10:55:59 »
hey dude, welcome :)

Always nice to witness the launch of another new search for the perfect 'board :)
Looking forward to hearing about your experiences (and your reviews :) )

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline dlarellano

I am a virgin...
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 03 December 2008, 11:14:35 »
Thanks!

Writing a review sounds fun. Although a meaningful one will take a while. The best keyboard I've ever had (the MBP's) isn't much of a baseline as far as desktop keyboards go.

Offline itlnstln

I am a virgin...
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 03 December 2008, 16:00:44 »
Welcome to GeekHack! :)

I don't think black Cherries get "ragged on" here so much as, since they are linear, they do not have the tactility many of the users expect and look for in a mechanical switch.  If you go in with the expectation that the switches are going to be linear, I think you will be one step ahead.  The only reason I can think of right off the top of my head why some people might truly dislike black Cherries is that some use the tactility to determine when the key activates.

Also, black Cherries are awesome when they are in soda.  Black Cherry Shasta/Fanta is the bomb!

Offline dlarellano

I am a virgin...
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 06 December 2008, 15:14:56 »
Thanks itlnstln!

Perhaps "ragged on" was a little too harsh. I hope blacks are a good fit for my typing style. I tend to smash the keys, which is why I am hating the Apple Aluminum keyboard I'm using right now. It feels like I'm typing on my glass desk.

Oh man, Fanta. I miss those. They don't sell those here anymore.

Offline nimrod01

I am a virgin...
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 20 January 2009, 10:06:51 »
I'm typing on a FreeStyle right now.  My Kinesis Contour had to be repaired and I needing something with a bit of quality in it until I get the contour back.  The keys are nothing like the contour, but they are not bad for membrane.. It actually sounds like there is a little switch in there.  While there is a bit of mush, its nothing like the mush on the latest Logitech or Microsoft keyboards.

However, I am second guessing my purchase and wishing I had gone for a quality scissor switch keyboard, like the one on my thinkpad, only external to use until I get the contour back.

Offline itlnstln

I am a virgin...
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 20 January 2009, 10:14:04 »
Quote from: nimrod01;18929
I'm typing on a FreeStyle right now.  My Kinesis Contour had to be repaired and I needing something with a bit of quality in it until I get the contour back.  The keys are nothing like the contour, but they are not bad for membrane.. It actually sounds like there is a little switch in there.  While there is a bit of mush, its nothing like the mush on the latest Logitech or Microsoft keyboards.

However, I am second guessing my purchase and wishing I had gone for a quality scissor switch keyboard, like the one on my thinkpad, only external to use until I get the contour back.

The Dell AT101W is a great keyboard to have around as a backup.  They are around $10 on eBay and are fantastic.  I use them pretty much exclusively now.  I will be getting an ABS (Filco-clone) soon with similar switches, but the Dells are still fantastic 'boards.

Offline cmr

I am a virgin...
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 20 January 2009, 13:39:13 »
You need to use a real keyboard.

The Apple Extended Keyboard II.

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
I am a virgin...
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 20 January 2009, 19:00:22 »
The AEK2 is nothing special, IMO. Give me a good quality rubber dome over that thing.

grimace

I am a virgin...
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 21 January 2009, 05:22:27 »
Quote from: cmr;18955
You need to use a real keyboard.

The Apple Extended Keyboard II.

Absolutely!!!  The real king.

I'd also like to try DataDesk's Mac101e.  Doesn't iMav have one of these?

Offline ashort

• Hoosier Daddy
    • http://andrew.wingedwheel.net
I am a virgin...
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 23 January 2009, 23:17:59 »
Quote from: bhtooefr;19010
The AEK2 is nothing special, IMO. Give me a good quality rubber dome over that thing.

Dude, this could be tagged as a "religious troll" post.  :-D
Andrew
{ KBC Poker - brown | Filco Majestouch - brown | Dell AT101W | Cherry G84-4100 }

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
I am a virgin...
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 24 January 2009, 03:50:34 »
Except I own an AEK2, and definitely dislike it. It's fine for the computer that it's attached to, which I use infrequently, but...

grimace

I am a virgin...
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 24 January 2009, 04:04:07 »
Quote from: bhtooefr;19405
Except I own an AEK2, and definitely dislike it. It's fine for the computer that it's attached to, which I use infrequently, but...

And I own a Model M and think it is total crap.  Inconsistent feel and, although most-definitely loud, lacks the crisp feel of an Alps switch.  Auditory feedback is there, but it is a total fail regarding consistent tactile feedback.  Most of the mechanical switches I've used are head and shoulders above buckling springs in this regard.

Offline wellington1869

I am a virgin...
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 24 January 2009, 04:19:02 »
ah, I think the long-awaited alps vs BS war is about to break out... :D  Wait, let me get some popcorn...

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
I am a virgin...
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 24 January 2009, 06:27:42 »
Ah, I'll need some good cheap white Alps to play with, to settle this one. ;)

Consistency from key to key could use a little work on the Model M, but that's purely a matter of tolerances. ;)

But, saying that the Model M lacks crisp tactile feedback? WHAT?!?!?!? If my 1391401 were any more crisp, it'd be a bag of potato chips.

I'd suggest getting another Model M. I think yours is damaged. ;)