Author Topic: Fitness  (Read 8190 times)

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
Fitness
« on: Mon, 29 December 2008, 16:29:25 »
I know there are some very fitness-conscious folks on this site (bicyclists, marathon runners, etc).  I'm just curious how many here actively pursue increased fitness (or actively maintain) on a daily basis.

I am starting a new fitness workout where I will be trying to regulate diet, getting in cardio, as well as working to build muscle mass all around.  I've typically used, primarily, diet and cardio workouts to regulate weight...but I end up on again / off again and I'd really like to work on the complete package for once.  :)

What do others here do (if anything)?

Offline bigpook

Fitness
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 29 December 2008, 16:34:33 »
When I lived in Phoenix I used to mountain bike often. That was a great work out. I am in Florida now, sigh. No mountains. But roller blading is quite the work out for me.
Diet and exercise, diet and exercise. And it does work. My problem is staying committed.
I like my diet pepsi and I like my mcdonalds. We all have our challenges.
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Fitness
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 29 December 2008, 16:36:50 »
I have excess fat ...

Offline iMav

Fitness
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 29 December 2008, 16:54:36 »
Quote from: webwit;16469
I'm a leptosome. You'll all hate me now. Besides that I've been riding a bicycle for over 3 decades.

lep·to·some noun - A person with a slender, thin, or frail body.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Fitness
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 29 December 2008, 16:57:12 »
Quote from: iMav;16470
lep·to·some noun - A person with a slender, thin, or frail body.

I hate you now iMav.

:p

Offline bigpook

Fitness
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 29 December 2008, 16:58:21 »
I don't think its iMav with the slender, thin or frail body. I think its webwit.

Offline wellington1869

Fitness
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 29 December 2008, 17:02:20 »
Quote from: iMav;16465

What do others here do (if anything)?

I've just begun a diet/fitness program too. I finally switched over to wheat bread (which was a really big deal in my life, to be honest. I love white bread). And generally wheat and multigrain everything and a lot less meat (more legumes and beans and veggie burgers and whole wheat pasta and such, instead).

Along with the diet change (which is a little bit traumatic, but if once you figure out what brands and alternate foods you like and dont like, becomes easier. For instance, it turns out I like veggie burgers quite a lot and a lot of the supermarket brand veggie burgers have become quite tasty of late. Also for instance, morningfarm vegetarian "bacon" is actually pretty damn good, who knew).  Along with the diet change I've committed to a minimum of 20 minute workout every day (we have a gym in the basement of my apt building so I have no excuse).

Diet and fitness are now 2 parts of my new 3 pronged strategy to "become an adult". (yea, I'm not one yet, lol, in terms of my behaviour and habits). (the third prong is "finish the damn dissertation and get a damn job", lol).

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline iMav

Fitness
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 29 December 2008, 17:10:34 »
Quote from: bigpook;16472
I don't think its iMav with the slender, thin or frail body. I think its webwit.

Yes, that is definitely not me.  I always have to be mindful of what I eat and how much exercise I get.  Otherwise, I can get very large (and probably knock decades off my life).

Offline iMav

Fitness
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 29 December 2008, 17:11:42 »
Quote from: webwit;16477
Moreover, I can't get fat, even if I would put effort into it (like the past few days).

So, is the flip side that you have a hard time gaining muscle mass?  Or are you one of the truly blessed naturally skinny folk?  (who can't put on fat and can easily get ripped)

Offline bigpook

Fitness
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 29 December 2008, 17:11:43 »
Moreover, I can't get fat, even if I would put effort into it (like the past few days).

You know, rubbing it in like that won't win you any friends. : )

Offline wellington1869

Fitness
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 29 December 2008, 17:18:30 »

I thnk age has a lot to do with it. Webwit, are you under 30? My metabolism used to be superfast when I was under 30, has slowed amazingly since then.  I too used to put away a large pizza by myself and barely have it register on my waistline. Not any more!

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

Offline bigpook

Fitness
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 29 December 2008, 17:42:28 »
Quote from: webwit;16489
This is what my parents used to say.."just wait boy, it won't pass you". But I'm 38.

I remember those days. Just me and a large cheese pizza. Now that I am older, its just not the same. I just don't burn it off like I used to. Now, it just kind of stays on me....

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Fitness
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 29 December 2008, 17:50:25 »
See, I jsut never started burning it off. I'm not like, obese but the scale kind of whines when I step on it.

Offline bigpook

Fitness
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 29 December 2008, 17:55:31 »
Obese is a relative term. Being American brings new meaning to the word obese. We are such porkers here : (

Offline bigpook

Fitness
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 29 December 2008, 17:56:16 »
somewhat off topic, I kind of liked webwits old avatar better. That new one just doesn't seem right. I want the old webwit back!

Offline FunkTrooper

• http://funktrooper.t35.com/
Fitness
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 29 December 2008, 18:20:07 »
wow, i'm surprised: everyone seems to be really into their fitness and diet regimes. i honestly don't think i know anyone in real life who adheres to such regimes. i mean, ok some people might try to avoid eating too much fast food, but still it wouldn't really be an issue.  maybe it's just cos i don't live in america (no offense meant), or that i am pretty young (19),  but dieting and working out/keeping fit just don't seem to be an issue amongst me and my friends.  now, none of us are overweight, but that's not to say any of us are particularly fit either.  here in ireland, i think smoking and binge drinking are probably greater threats to people's health than excessive food or anything like that.

Offline bigpook

Fitness
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 29 December 2008, 18:26:36 »
Quote from: FunkTrooper;16497
wow, i'm surprised: everyone seems to be really into their fitness and diet regimes. i honestly don't think i know anyone in real life who adheres to such regimes. i mean, ok some people might try to avoid eating too much fast food, but still it wouldn't really be an issue.  maybe it's just cos i don't live in america (no offense meant), or that i am pretty young (19),  but dieting and working out/keeping fit just don't seem to be an issue amongst me and my friends.  now, none of us are overweight, but that's not to say any of us are particularly fit either.  here in ireland, i think smoking and binge drinking are probably greater threats to people's health than excessive food or anything like that.

You are 19, lol. Just wait, man , just wait. Give it ten, twenty years. Unless of course, you are eating a healthy diet and getting even moderate excercise.
Here in America, Land of the Fatty, its a different story. We are all porkers here. ; )

Offline bigpook

Fitness
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 29 December 2008, 18:27:12 »
Quote from: webwit;16498
Would you like to buy this fine second hand car? Special price for you!

No not so much. But I did like the previous avatar. It was way cool.

Offline wellington1869

Fitness
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 29 December 2008, 18:28:52 »
Quote from: bigpook;16494
somewhat off topic, I kind of liked webwits old avatar better. That new one just doesn't seem right. I want the old webwit back!

lol, I was thinking the same thing ;)

Offline wellington1869

Fitness
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 29 December 2008, 18:30:19 »
or that i am pretty young (19),  

19?! good god, you're not even qualified to talk about diet and fitness, lol ;)  I mean all your pipes and systems are still brand new! Your system isnt even 'broken in' yet! (to use a keyboard analogy) ;)

things go *rapidly* downhill after 30 :)  My only consolation is that it will happen to everyone (well, except webwit).

Offline bigpook

Fitness
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 29 December 2008, 18:31:41 »

On another note, and I can only speak for myself, but it is my opinion that most Americans have a very unhealthy realtionship with food. Its part of our shallow and dismal culture. All of the fat, but none of the nutrients.
We tend to blow up pretty quick here.  I am living in the southeastern part of the country now, it is sometimes called the cardiac belt or words to that effect. And yeah, its pretty bad.
So we obsess over it and take pills for it, or some new fad diet. But none of it really works. The bottom line is healthy/rational diet and moderate exercise. We are loathe to admit it, and too weak to follow it. But its really that simple.

Offline bigpook

Fitness
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 29 December 2008, 18:34:34 »
Quote from: wellington1869;16503
19?! good god, you're not even qualified to talk about diet and fitness, lol ;)  I mean all your pipes and systems are still brand new! Your system isnt even 'broken in' yet! (to use a keyboard analogy) ;)

things go *rapidly* downhill after 30 :)  My only consolation is that it will happen to everyone (well, except webwit).

lol, I am so far away from 19 that I can hardly remember. But to use the popular car analogy, at 19 you are like a new car with about 5000 miles on it.
Life is good. Just wait till the tranny goes.

Offline wellington1869

Fitness
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 29 December 2008, 18:34:38 »
Quote from: bigpook;16504
On another note, and I can only speak for myself, but it is my opinion that most Americans have a very unhealthy realtionship with food. Its part of our shallow and dismal culture. All of the fat, but none of the nutrients.
We tend to blow up pretty quick here.  I am living in the southeastern part of the country now, it is sometimes called the cardiac belt or words to that effect. And yeah, its pretty bad.
So we obsess over it and take pills for it, or some new fad diet. But none of it really works. The bottom line is healthy/rational diet and moderate exercise. We are loathe to admit it, and too weak to follow it. But its really that simple.

all true bigP, but I think its slowly changing (not fast enough, but health conciousness has permeated all parts of our culture now I think) ie, the awareness if not the practice, and I hope that in cultural issues practice will gradually follow awareness. I hope, for all our sakes ;)

Offline bigpook

Fitness
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 29 December 2008, 18:37:42 »
Quote from: webwit;16506
I never quite got over the size of the portions last time I was in the States. How on earth do you stomach that? Or all the people twice my size (not in length), eating pizza slices on the street. But if I have to believe the media we're all heading that way. Not sure about Ireland, but London...

Americans like it big. Big cars, big houses, big tits,  bling, bling, bling.
There was a restaurant with the name of Claimjumper when I lived in Phoenix. It had great food. But the size of the portions were just huge. My god, the plates they served it on were over-sized. Its no wonder we gain weight.

Offline bigpook

Fitness
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 29 December 2008, 18:41:16 »
Quote from: wellington1869;16508
all true bigP, but I think its slowly changing (not fast enough, but health conciousness has permeated all parts of our culture now I think) ie, the awareness if not the practice, and I hope that in cultural issues practice will gradually follow awareness. I hope, for all our sakes ;)

I don't know about that. I remember the late 70's early 80's when California started the "Healthy Life Style". And to be fair it has made some people more aware. But there are so many Americans that are still clueless about diet. I once worked with a guy that lived alone, and did not cook. He ate fast food 3 times a day. He was kind of short so it showed when he blimped up.
About 10 years ago, while in his 40's he had a quadruple bypass. Its been some time since I heard from him, I hope he is still alive.

Offline wellington1869

Fitness
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 29 December 2008, 18:53:45 »
Quote from: bigpook;16512
I remember the late 70's early 80's when California started the "Healthy Life Style". .

lol, thats true. But for instance in my local supermarket I've never before seen as many products labelled "whole wheat" and "multigrain" and never before seen so many instant-vegetarian foods and entres in the frozen foods section. Even cookies are now making (futile, but still) gestures at being healthy, listing fiber content, cholesterol content, calories etc.

One of the best recent developments in NYC has been the new law in all restaurants that every single menu item has to show calorie content in large print next to the item. That alone went a long way to my own changes of eating habits, when I suddenly found out (and couldnt escape from the knowledge of) the number of calories that my various previous favorite foods actually contained. Its really a great law and I'm sure its had an impact already on new yorkers health.

Another great recent new york city law that went into effect this year, for instance, (and which some other cities have adopted I heard) is elimination of transfats in frying oil in all restaurants (including fast food restaurants).

All of that, it seems to me, is relatively new and quite different from previous health fads we've seen in this country. There's more of a seriousness now about it at the policy level (city and state level anyway).

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
Fitness
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 29 December 2008, 18:55:05 »
I'm 20, and I'll admit, I pretty much eat what I want. I'm not skinny, but I'm not fat, either.

As for exercise... I try to ride my bike every now and then, get 5 or so miles in...

Offline itlnstln

Fitness
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 30 December 2008, 01:11:26 »
I lift weights 3 times a week (chest/triceps/shoulders, biceps/back, legs) and play disc golf 2 times a week.  I will also get some basketball in after work when the days get longer, especially after daylight savings kicks in.  I am 30, 6', about 170 lbs., and this routine helped get me and helps keep me here.  Simply eating less helps, too.  I used to be 200 and eat like a pig.  I cut down on the grub and got to working out about 3 years ago.

Offline andb

Fitness
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 30 December 2008, 06:20:57 »
Walk up stairs, don't take the elevator. After all 5 minutes of high intensity training is better than an hour of low intensity training.

Cook your own meals. Restaurants survive  because people love the taste of butter. If you've never worked in a restaurant or don't know a chef, ask about it. Butter makes everything better, except your waistline.

Move to Europe and don't buy a car. Just having to get around is more exercise than most Americans get.

Well, at least the first two are easy.

Read "The Zone". The first one, not the cheesy simple dumbed down later versions. Its the most accurate explanation of how the body deals with food in popular literature that I've come across. (I have a strong biology / endocrinology background, oddly enough) Follow its tips on how to eat and you will see improvements. Don't worry about following it to the letter. Focus on learning major concepts, like what is "glycemic index".

I take regular breaks from the computer and jump rope, jog in the park across the street, or some other quick 15 minute activity. Not only does it make your mind work better, keeps you healthy.  Try it!

Wellington commented about laws going into place about food, while commendable given the epidemic of obesity in the States, I really don't see this as being the role of government. Education perhaps, and parents teaching better eating habits...

Offline karlito

• http://altitudegame.com
Fitness
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 31 December 2008, 02:38:25 »
muscle is key to regulating your weight

http://www.getbig.com/articles/faq-dav1.htm - this is a pretty good workout routine.

Eat 20-30 grams of protein following a anaerobic (weight lifting) workout.

Proper form is the number 1 most important thing to  weightlifting. If you want to be a stupid jack arse and fling around 100lb dumb bells go ahead but make sure you put your injury video on youtube so i can laugh at you

Eat often (5-6 times a day).  This increases metabolism.  Eat all you want, avoid fried foods and sweets.  The more protein the better.  20 grams per meal is a good (but probably unrealistic) goal.

GET SUNLIGHT! At least 15 minutes of sunlight a day.

I recently started running http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml because I have a bum knee so I cant get any muscle on my legs.

There's no such thing as being on a diet.  They are nothing but a scam to make money.  It's a lifestyle choice.  Do you best to eat high protein and avoid fried food and sweets. No, you really don't need fries with that.

Toss out that scale. When starting a good weightlifting regimin you will gain weight... if you dont you're doing something wrong.  If you want to see results take out the tape measure and measure your gut.

Offline karlito

• http://altitudegame.com
Fitness
« Reply #30 on: Fri, 02 January 2009, 01:08:47 »
Quote from: webwit;16736
Last year I was sick for 2 weeks and lost some weight, and was actually underweight. Then I had to eat this crap. I would be careful by advising "weigth gainer" to people who are not in some strict body building regime... ;)

im talking about 4oz of chicken, fish, beef, etc... not weight gainer crap.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protein

haha yes the wiki link is cause im a smart arse

Offline iMav

Fitness
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 05 January 2009, 05:24:25 »
Starting my new routine this morning.  (man, 5am sure does come early!)  ;)

Offline wellington1869

Fitness
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 05 January 2009, 11:04:01 »
Quote from: iMav;17107
Starting my new routine this morning.  (man, 5am sure does come early!)  ;)

one of the things folks recommend is to not get *too* ambitious as that can backfire!

For myself, I'm coming at it from the other extreme: I'm doing the "commit yourself to 10 minutes a day" approach. (The idea being that making workouts a habit and a regular routine is, in the long run, more important; the "10 minutes" gets me to the gym in my building's basement, of course chances are I stay longer than that, but it builds a habit and a routine).

Also, they say if you do it 82 days in a row, it becomes a true habit. ;) So thats my goal right now, I'm marking it off on a calendar.

Offline iMav

Fitness
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 05 January 2009, 11:40:06 »
Quote from: wellington1869;17129
Also, they say if you do it 82 days in a row, it becomes a true habit. ;) So thats my goal right now, I'm marking it off on a calendar.

Good luck!!  I'm one of those folks that can ONLY jump in with two feet.  It's all or nothing.  Drives my wife crazy.  :)