Author Topic: what a beautiful day  (Read 3971 times)

Offline wellington1869

what a beautiful day
« on: Tue, 20 January 2009, 11:39:57 »
for america.

some hope for the colossal challenges ahead.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline lam47

what a beautiful day
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 20 January 2009, 11:55:53 »
I'm not dry eyed here in the UK either.
Keyboards. Happy Hacking pro 2 x2. One white one black. IBM model M US layout. SGI silicone Graphics with rubber dampened ALPS. IBM model F. ALPS apple board, I forget what it is. And some more I forget what I have.

Typewriters. Olivetti Valentine. Imperial Good Companion Model T. Olympia SM3

Offline wellington1869

what a beautiful day
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 20 January 2009, 12:06:01 »
Quote from: lam47;18944
I'm not dry eyed here in the UK either.

its a great day for the whole world, really. :)

did you watch the inauguration ceremony and the speech? was it carried live there?

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

Offline itlnstln

what a beautiful day
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 20 January 2009, 12:20:29 »
I got to hear some of the speech on the radio a little while ago, and I am very excited about our future.  Even if Obama turns out to be in an ineffective President (which I seriously doubt), it will still be an historic day for the US and for the world.

Offline lam47

what a beautiful day
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 20 January 2009, 12:23:18 »
We got the whole lot live.
The BBC is very good with American events.
I thought the speeches on the whole were very moving.
Obama seems like a real man and not just some tool.
Level headed and straight talking to the point of being blunt and harsh.
He is not just what America needs but what the whole world needs.
We couldn't be more pleased.
Keyboards. Happy Hacking pro 2 x2. One white one black. IBM model M US layout. SGI silicone Graphics with rubber dampened ALPS. IBM model F. ALPS apple board, I forget what it is. And some more I forget what I have.

Typewriters. Olivetti Valentine. Imperial Good Companion Model T. Olympia SM3

Offline wellington1869

what a beautiful day
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 20 January 2009, 15:05:17 »
Quote from: webwit;18951
Can't be worse than Bush though.

I think thats the key thing the country is united on. Even the cynics apparently. ;)

I read in the most recent poll that about 80% of the nation supports him, but more interestingly, over 60% of declared republicans support him now. Thats pretty amazing - when was the last time that happened in this country which has been so polarized of late? Thats historic in itself ;)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
what a beautiful day
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 20 January 2009, 23:43:32 »
Quote from: wellington1869;18940
for america.

some hope for the colossal challenges ahead.

Why? did something happen today?

Offline ashort

• Hoosier Daddy
    • http://andrew.wingedwheel.net
what a beautiful day
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 23 January 2009, 23:19:45 »
I'm waiting for him to fart lightning bolts and solve the economy.
Andrew
{ KBC Poker - brown | Filco Majestouch - brown | Dell AT101W | Cherry G84-4100 }

Offline itlnstln

what a beautiful day
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 24 January 2009, 08:31:44 »
Woah... ashort out of nowhere.  Where have you been?

Offline ashort

• Hoosier Daddy
what a beautiful day
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 24 January 2009, 08:43:05 »
Quote from: itlnstln;19433
Woah... ashort out of nowhere.  Where have you been?

IN a word..."Busy".  Family's been sick 2-3 times each since before Christmas, including myself, and work has me overloaded right now...it's not fun.
Andrew
{ KBC Poker - brown | Filco Majestouch - brown | Dell AT101W | Cherry G84-4100 }

Offline itlnstln

what a beautiful day
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 24 January 2009, 09:00:39 »
I feel you... :(

Offline bigpook

what a beautiful day
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 24 January 2009, 09:16:57 »
Quote from: webwit;18951
I'm a cynic. Just another lizard, playing the other audience. Look who he appointed. Can't be worse than Bush though.

While I agree with you, yes, it would be hard, very  hard, to be as bad as Bush.
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
what a beautiful day
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 24 January 2009, 11:25:15 »
Quote from: bigpook;19453
While I agree with you, yes, it would be hard, very  hard, to be as bad as Bush.
Keeping us from another terrorist attack on our soil is one thing that Bush did right.  Letting one of those attempts "slip thorugh the cracks" would certainly be any easy way to be worse than Bush.

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
what a beautiful day
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 24 January 2009, 11:48:50 »
However, he also made the terrorists want to commit another attack on our soil even more than before, no?

And, also, his administration prevented it by stripping quite a few of our rights.

Quote from: Benjamin Franklin
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline iMav

what a beautiful day
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 24 January 2009, 12:01:22 »
Quote from: bhtooefr;19470
However, he also made the terrorists want to commit another attack on our soil even more than before, no?

Radical muslim extremist's desire to kill all infidels is a constant.  This isn't a matter of them disliking our policies and retaliating...it's a fundamental, radical belief that all non-muslims (especially those that aid the nation of Israel) should die.

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
what a beautiful day
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 24 January 2009, 12:14:04 »
But, on the flip side, removing everyone's (including NON-radical Muslims) rights for the sake of a bit of safety isn't a good thing. And, attacking them kinda makes us a higher priority target, no?

(Do note that I'm not arguing against the war in Afghanistan. That was in response to an act of war on our soil. The war in Iraq, and the kneejerk legislation and warrantless wiretaps and such here is what I'm arguing against.)

Offline iMav

what a beautiful day
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 24 January 2009, 12:35:00 »
Quote from: bhtooefr;19473
But, on the flip side, removing everyone's (including NON-radical Muslims) rights for the sake of a bit of safety isn't a good thing. And, attacking them kinda makes us a higher priority target, no?

I'm all for our rights being returned to us.  It's ticked me off for years that my right to bear arms has been severely hampered in the state of Wisconsin.  

I'd also like to see a move back to the initial intent of the checks and balances laid down in the US Constitution.  They can start by repealing the 17th ammendment.  Senators were never intended to win their seats via statewide popular vote.  The House of Representatives is intended to represent the people.  The Senate was intended to represent the state interests (and should, again, be appointed by the state legislatures).  That act alone would go a long way in returning Washington DC politics to where it should be. (currently, our state governments have ZERO voices in the federal government)

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
what a beautiful day
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 24 January 2009, 12:42:59 »
Really, we need to look at the European Union - despite all of its issues, its structure seems to be closer to the intent of the United States than the United States is.

Offline ashort

• Hoosier Daddy
what a beautiful day
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 24 January 2009, 13:25:37 »
Quote from: bhtooefr;19475
Really, we need to look at the European Union - despite all of its issues, its structure seems to be closer to the intent of the United States than the United States is.

How could we possibly manage our day to day affairs and hold our meager lives together without a large federal government to proctect us???
Andrew

Offline wellington1869

what a beautiful day
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 24 January 2009, 19:52:07 »
Quote from: iMav;19472
Radical muslim extremist's desire to kill all infidels is a constant.  This isn't a matter of them disliking our policies and retaliating...it's a fundamental, radical belief that all non-muslims (especially those that aid the nation of Israel) should die.

I agree with the above, but I'm not sure how much credit bush deserves for the fact that we havent seen another successful attempt yet. I think it has more to do with the basic incompetence and ad-hoc style of the terrorists and pure dumb luck. Everyone including bush's own CIA chiefs have always said that another attack is merely a matter of time. And bush's anti-terror policies have been as much a 3-stooges style comedy of errors all along the way. Its not like he's super competent or anything. He didnt even know that there were shias and sunnis and that they were different.

Anyway, regardless, there hasnt been another attack and bush will take credit for it whether or not its warranted, sure.  I'm just not convinced it happened like that because of anything concrete he in particular did. His war on terror was much like his war on the flood in louisiana. Or his war on low interest rates.

dont get me wrong, I'm sure he was sincere most of the time; and I'm a centrist myself (variously call myself a libertarian, centrist, pragmatist, moderate, agnostic, etc). I dont affiliate by party and I'm deeply suspicious of ideology-based policy whether thats pushed from left or right.

(this is largely why I like Barry. barry isnt a leftist. He's already pissed off the left. He's very clearly a centrist and a pragmatist and he's going to continue to piss off the Left (as much as the Right). And that to me means he's doing something right).

But I'm trying to think if there is anything I'd credit bush for based on actual competency, ie, stuff he did by design which worked out well for america by design and based on knowledge and skill. And honestly I cant think of anything off the top of my head.

(edit: so, arguably, rather than saying well there hasnt been another attack yet, perhaps the real measure of anti-terrorism success might have been a) capture of bin laden, b) getting more middle eastern governments on-board in the fight against terror). And arguably Barry will come closer to that by a) developing alliances rather than breaking them, b) going after afghanistan rather than iraq))