Author Topic: Cut fingers and typing  (Read 6586 times)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Cut fingers and typing
« on: Wed, 29 July 2009, 12:04:24 »
Why is it the only place on my body that I get cuts is on my fingertips? Does the god of pain know writers use those for typing? Is that god a woman?

I hate it. I was cleaning out the old apartment yesterday and I laid open my right index finger in not one but two places, both cuts ending at the tip. One of them even went directly under my fingernail. Between typing and using a trackpoint at home, this is gonna take a year and a half to heal.

Offline bitflipper

Cut fingers and typing
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 29 July 2009, 12:21:50 »
Super Glue / Second skin.

In the winter, my finger tips split open at each side of the fingernail from dry skin. 2 or 3 fingers on each hand. Makes it seriously uncomfortable to type for any length of time. I started super gluing the cuts together and it seems to promote healing. It probably gets in the bloodstream and causes brain cancer, though.

A thumb trackball might help in place of the trackpoint. Like the Logitech Trackman Wheel.

Offline nanu

• http://T-T.be/portal
Cut fingers and typing
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 29 July 2009, 12:22:33 »
I use tin snips on plastic shell stuff.  Less effort than sharp scissors.

Offline vils

Cut fingers and typing
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 29 July 2009, 12:29:12 »
When I get small cuts on my fingers I use superglue, cyanoacrylate, to glue the cut together. Just be sure to glue over the cut and not into it. Might not be the most chemical safe way to do it but it works wonderfully. I know that surgeons use it to glue veins together, so it can't be that harmful... anyhow, nothing else works on the finger tips.

P.S.
Missed bitflippers post, took me a while to write..
« Last Edit: Wed, 29 July 2009, 12:32:01 by vils »
It\'s the glass pipe fallacy. You can only believe that if you\'re on crack.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Cut fingers and typing
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 29 July 2009, 12:52:40 »
Quite a response to this thread so soon, guess we can all relate.

Superglue was invented by the military for quick bandages on the battlefield, so that's why it works so well, but if it does cause some kind of cancer, the US government will have you killed to avoid any negative press.

And Ripster, dig the Mary shot, but I have to say this; I have never hung a load of jort off my own ear, but they are fun to aim for if you've already hit everywhere else on the same girl's face ... but I prefer the big, long racing stripes that start at the forehead and go all the way to the top of her skull.

Offline talis

Cut fingers and typing
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 29 July 2009, 13:36:07 »
Quote from: xsphat;105261

Superglue was invented by the military for quick bandages on the battlefield, so that's why it works so well, but if it does cause some kind of cancer, the US government will have you killed to avoid any negative press.

Acutally, IIRC a scientist at Kodak accidentally discovered CA glue while trying to develop a clear plastic for lenses.

And medical grade CA glue is actually chemically different from super glue (2-octyl cyanoacrylate) which is designed not to irritate skin in the same way the super glue type formulation can.

Offline DrunkenDonut

Cut fingers and typing
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 29 July 2009, 15:42:14 »
That's why they invented things like the OpenX ... Ironically it's also packaged in those insipid plastic packages. Watch the video there and you'll see them sitting on the counter in the display box.

I tend to use a box cutter / utility knife much the same way the openx works. Just leave a little tip of blade sticking out and cut a nice border around your item. Presto the package flips open.
*Hang on to your wallet!*
BTC E5X5R5BTC-5339R-0 (\'90), MS Natural Keyboard Pro (\'99), Sun Type 5c, 2x 1391401, DASK3ULT (\'08), ABS M1, Dell AT101W, M4-1
FKBN87M/EB (\'09), FKBN87ML/EB (\'09), FKBN87Z/EB (\'09), FKBN87MC/NPEC (\'09), G80-3000LQCDE-2 (\'11)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Cut fingers and typing
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 29 July 2009, 16:04:32 »
Quote from: ripster;105331
Back to the original question.

Luckily the Internet has answered that question.   I didn't read any of the answers but am comforted somebody knows.

Come on. Suddenly the internet knows. God is an invention of man, just like possession, money and time. Look where that all got us — spending money / on the internet. Kind of seems like it's all full circle to emptiness, huh?

Sorry, the Tao took me over for a moment.

Offline itlnstln

Cut fingers and typing
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 29 July 2009, 16:09:21 »
Quote from: xsphat;105344
Come on. Suddenly the internet knows. God is an invention of man, just like possession, money and time. Look where that all got us — spending money / on the internet. Kind of seems like it's all full circle to emptiness, huh?

Sorry, the Tao took me over for a moment.

Look where that all got us — wasting time / spending money / on the internet.

- FTFY; you forgot time.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Cut fingers and typing
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 30 July 2009, 01:47:23 »
Thanks.

Time is a weird one to think about. All that is real is the present, which knows no time, so time is to gauge the past and the future, which aren't real. The past happened but it can't changed and the future can't be predicted so where does that leave us? Wasting time waiting for the time to do something to occupy our time.

Offline itlnstln

Cut fingers and typing
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 30 July 2009, 08:18:10 »
Quote from: xsphat;105494
Thanks.

Time is a weird one to think about. All that is real is the present, which knows no time, so time is to gauge the past and the future, which aren't real. The past happened but it can't changed and the future can't be predicted so where does that leave us? Wasting time waiting for the time to do something to occupy our time.

Remember, there is no present.  Everything is either the past or the future.  We're all f*cked.

Offline timw4mail

• https://timshomepage.net
Cut fingers and typing
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 30 July 2009, 08:20:46 »
Stop using self-invalidating logic!
Buckling Springs IBM Model F AT, New Model F 77, Unicomp New Model M
Clicky iOne Scorpius M10, OCN-branded Ducky DK-9008-C, Blackmore Nocturna, Redragon Kumara K552-1, Qtronix Scorpius Keypad, Chicony KB-5181(Monterey)
Tactile Apple AEKII (Cream damped ALPS), Filco FKBN91M/JB (Japanese Tenkeyless), Cherry G84-5200, Cherry G84-4100LPAUS, Datalux Spacesaver(Cherry ML), Redragon Devarajas K556 RGB, Newmen GM711, Poker II (Cherry MX Clear), Logitech G910 Orion Spark, Logitech K840
Linear Lenovo Y (Gateron Red), Aluminum kiosk keyboard (Cherry MX Black)

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
Cut fingers and typing
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 30 July 2009, 08:24:57 »
Quote from: nanu;105247
I use tin snips on plastic shell stuff.  Less effort than sharp scissors.
One should always have a pair of tin snips handy.

Offline timw4mail

Cut fingers and typing
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 30 July 2009, 09:09:05 »
By the way, don't try climbing walls without good gloves... it isn't much fun when you miss...
Clicky iOne Scorpius M10, OCN-branded Ducky DK-9008-C, Blackmore Nocturna, Redragon Kumara K552-1, Qtronix Scorpius Keypad, Chicony KB-5181(Monterey)
Tactile Apple AEKII (Cream damped ALPS), Filco FKBN91M/JB (Japanese Tenkeyless), Cherry G84-5200, Cherry G84-4100LPAUS, Datalux Spacesaver(Cherry ML), Redragon Devarajas K556 RGB, Newmen GM711, Poker II (Cherry MX Clear), Logitech G910 Orion Spark, Logitech K840

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Cut fingers and typing
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 30 July 2009, 12:46:35 »
Quote from: itlnstln;105550
Remember, there is no present.  Everything is either the past or the future.  We're all f*cked.

No man, present is all we have and it lasts longer than a split second. Your situation dictates your present, so the present can be a minute or an hour, and your mindset determines how that moment goes, and right now, my present here on GH is going to end until the future.

Offline o2dazone

Cut fingers and typing
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 30 July 2009, 12:47:45 »
What happened to now?
It just passed!
When?
Just now!

When will now be now?
Soon.

Offline timw4mail

Cut fingers and typing
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 30 July 2009, 12:59:03 »
Quote from: o2dazone;105622
What happened to now?
It just passed!
When?
Just now!

When will now be now?
Soon.

Spaceballs!

Offline DreymaR

• Colemak forum guy
    • DreymaR's Big Bag of Kbd Tricks
Cut fingers and typing
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 31 July 2009, 09:47:55 »
Quote from: xsphat;105344
God is an invention of man, just like possession, money and time.

I don't buy that. To the extent that time is an invention (i.e., not really but what the hey) it's an invention of God. Who is an invention of man. And yet, time is not an invention of man. Now, lunchtime on the other hand is a far more esoteric number...
Better burden you cannot carry than man-wisdom much ~ Hávamál

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Cut fingers and typing
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 31 July 2009, 10:27:55 »
Well good for you for believing in god, but me, I don't believe in ghosts or magic so there isn't much room for god after all that.

Think about time this way: Does a dog care about time? To a dog it only is night or day, it doesn't care either way. We invented language for time to make sure people would have "time" enough to get food or money for their families (and science would be HARD without time). The bitter truth is time is the system we have had since forever and the system is infallible so long as we get our Rolex serviced frequently. There will never be time travel because the present is all that's real. The Earth has no idea it's billions of years old (not 2000 years old like some hardcore god-people say) and the Earth doesn't care because it is not alive so far as we can tell.

There, now I have offended Catholics, cultists, dog people, LOTR fanboys and hippies — all before 11 a.m.! I'm on fire today.
« Last Edit: Fri, 31 July 2009, 11:00:12 by xsphat »

Offline timw4mail

Cut fingers and typing
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 31 July 2009, 13:55:36 »
Its not 2000 years, its 6000-10,000 years. At least know what you are talking about if you are going to make fun of somebody.

Offline itlnstln

Cut fingers and typing
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 31 July 2009, 14:28:56 »
Quote from: timw4mail;105879
Its not 2000 years, its 6000-10,000 years. At least know what you are talking about if you are going to make fun of somebody.

I agree, but either way, it's a little, how should I say this... off.

Offline o2dazone

Cut fingers and typing
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 31 July 2009, 14:57:03 »
I'm all for having a discussion about God, the boogie man, and Santa Claus but I think this is one topic we should make a thread for instead of just derailing it in another

Offline itlnstln

Cut fingers and typing
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 31 July 2009, 15:04:08 »
Quote from: o2dazone;105894
I'm all for having a discussion about God, the boogie man, and Santa Claus but I think this is one topic we should make a thread for instead of just derailing it in another

Agreed. And we all need to be able to shake hands and hug after people get their feelings hurt. It's bound to happen in a religion discussion.

EDIT: Here you go - http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?p=105896#post105896
« Last Edit: Fri, 31 July 2009, 15:29:08 by itlnstln »

Offline Rajagra

Cut fingers and typing
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 31 July 2009, 15:18:23 »
Agreed. We better stop before someone gets hurt. :)

Offline o2dazone

Cut fingers and typing
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 31 July 2009, 15:22:18 »
Back on topic, I also second (or 3rd, w/e) the superglue idea. I don't get cut fingertips or anything like that, but I chew my nails a lot. When the nails are gone, I go right for whatevers next, which is usually calloused skin in the sides. I can easily open that up with a bit of gnawing, and then it's painful to type. A bit of superglue closes that up, and makes it taste awful if I go biting again. Good reminder not to bite

Offline talis

Cut fingers and typing
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 31 July 2009, 16:08:32 »
You could also take to wearing a single white rhinestone glove while typing.

Offline o2dazone

Cut fingers and typing
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 31 July 2009, 20:16:29 »
"typing gloves" you're sitting on a gold mine here, talis

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Cut fingers and typing
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 31 July 2009, 22:58:18 »
Quote from: timw4mail;105879

I will send all my posts to timw4mail for fact checking and god's approval from now on. ;)

Offline DreymaR

• Colemak forum guy
    • DreymaR's Big Bag of Kbd Tricks
Cut fingers and typing
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 04 August 2009, 08:46:39 »
What, I've been missed in this thread? Couldn't make enough mischief without me? Let's see...

Quote from: DreymaR;105794
God. Who is an invention of man.

Xsphat: Stop beating your reading comprehension with blunt implements. It's your friend. Be nice to your reading comprehension, nurture and feed it and it will work wondrous results for you.

Your Zenoism, on the other hand, won't. You still probably have time to come around, fortunately.  :)
« Last Edit: Wed, 05 August 2009, 05:00:27 by DreymaR »
Better burden you cannot carry than man-wisdom much ~ Hávamál