Author Topic: Matias Ergo Pro debuts at CES  (Read 1541659 times)

Offline argcargv

• tempting the banhammer
Re: Matias Ergo Pro debuts at CES
« Reply #200 on: Sun, 28 September 2014, 20:02:22 »
can't wait to type on this thing.

Offline argcargv

• tempting the banhammer
« Reply #201 on: Tue, 07 October 2014, 10:38:25 »
I think I will be mapping the right space bar to spaceFN:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=51069.0

and keep the left one as a simple spacebar for games.

Offline Matias

• http://matias.ca
« Reply #202 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 12:46:29 »

Snapshot of the front box art is attached...  :-)

80393-0

Offline argcargv

• tempting the banhammer
« Reply #203 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 12:52:34 »
moarrrrr~~~~~

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #204 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 13:37:24 »
Looking awesome! I didn’t preorder one, but I’m assuming some other Geekhacker in the bay area did. Can’t wait to see one of these in person. :-)

Offline skrotnisse

« Reply #205 on: Tue, 11 November 2014, 02:37:55 »
Hey Matias!

Have you finalized the layout for ergo pro nordic?

Also, I am about to buy a imac and want to match an ergo pro with it. Will there be an ergo pro nordic for mac?

Offline h1ro

« Reply #206 on: Tue, 18 November 2014, 08:23:24 »
Any production news? Hope it's all going smoothly

Offline pnutster

« Reply #207 on: Sat, 22 November 2014, 10:38:42 »
So tempting... However the staggered layout is putting me off after finding out with a Kinesis that is something I really like (and my tendons too... ).

I would purchase / pre-order 5 of them if they came in a matrix / non-staggered layout. Hopefully in future???

Beautiful otherwise, love the built in negative tilting and tenting!!!

And the quest for "the perfect keyboard" continues  :eek:
Kinesis Advantage
Logitech Cordless Trackman FX Optical Trackball
Apple TrackPad

Offline Talfrey

« Reply #208 on: Sat, 22 November 2014, 20:32:36 »
I just placed a pre-order for this thing and got an email saying that the expected ship date is Late December/Early January.

Hopefully I will get it in time for Christmas  ;D

Offline Gerk

« Reply #209 on: Thu, 04 December 2014, 11:21:58 »
Hoping for christmas here too, just placed an order.  Been waiting a long time for this one to hit the streets.
Rosewill RK-9000RE (reds) | Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (browns) | Leopold TKL (browns) | F21-7D "Mechanical Keyboard" (Blue Alps) | Filco Majestouch TKL (blues) | Goldtouch V2 x 2 | Matias Ergo Pro x 2 | Kinesis Freestyle Pro (browns) | Kinesis Freestyle Edge (reds)

Offline crazystu

« Reply #210 on: Fri, 05 December 2014, 01:27:36 »
I pre-ordered not too long ago, unfortunately I recently received an email that mentions shipment now being late January / early February.
Oh well, still looking forward to this!

Offline Gerk

« Reply #211 on: Fri, 05 December 2014, 08:52:50 »
Yep I just got the same email.  Let's hope things don't keep pushing back further and further (been down that road with my original Teck order and it sucked pretty hard)
Rosewill RK-9000RE (reds) | Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (browns) | Leopold TKL (browns) | F21-7D "Mechanical Keyboard" (Blue Alps) | Filco Majestouch TKL (blues) | Goldtouch V2 x 2 | Matias Ergo Pro x 2 | Kinesis Freestyle Pro (browns) | Kinesis Freestyle Edge (reds)

Offline Matias

Re: Matias Ergo Pro @ ErgoExpo
« Reply #212 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 18:25:32 »

Here are a few photos from ErgoExpo last week.  The Ergo Pro Keyboard made a big splash with the ergonomists...

83468-0

83470-1

83472-2

83474-3

83476-4

83478-5

83480-6

83482-7

83484-8

83486-9

As you can see, we'll also be selling replacement palm supports in different colours -- a black one comes included with the keyboard.

Let me know if you have any questions...

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #213 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 18:35:56 »
Looks great! Now you just need to get it set up tented 30°+, rotated inward a bit, and tell your hand models to make sure it’s at the proper height. (The guy in picture #4 has both wrists extended and pronated and his right wrist adducted quite a bit.)

Offline Shayde

« Reply #214 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 18:39:34 »
Looks great! Now you just need to get it set up tented 30°+, rotated inward a bit, and tell your hand models to make sure it’s at the proper height. (The guy in picture #4 has both wrists extended and pronated and his right wrist adducted quite a bit.)

#4 looks like the guy is standing to one side of the keyboard, and of course is standing, so it's not the best example really.
Collector-of-switches.  Cherry: red, brown, blue, black, grey (linear), green.  Alps: simp./comp. white, comp. blue, Matias.  NMB: white, black.  Futaba: Cherry stem.  Omron: yellow.  Topre: 45g  Various: Apple II+, TRS80 Model 1, C64, Acorn Electron, ZX81 (lol!).

Offline Matias

« Reply #215 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 18:47:43 »
Looks great! Now you just need to get it set up tented 30°+, rotated inward a bit, and tell your hand models to make sure it's at the proper height. (The guy in picture #4 has both wrists extended and pronated and his right wrist adducted quite a bit.)

#4 looks like the guy is standing to one side of the keyboard, and of course is standing, so it's not the best example really.

Yeah, ironically these high tables are not ergonomic at all.  Not the best environment for demonstrating an ergonomic keyboard.   :)

Offline dante

« Reply #216 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 19:02:39 »
WOW that looks comfortable

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #217 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 22:16:40 »
That looks very cool. Excited at all of the ergodox competitors that are coming to market.

Offline h1ro

« Reply #218 on: Sun, 07 December 2014, 08:22:59 »
Interesting angle on the escape key there. Out of curiosity, what led to the production run delay? Problem with all the new keycaps?

Thanks for all the pictures!

Offline Talfrey

« Reply #219 on: Wed, 31 December 2014, 10:07:28 »
That looks very cool. Excited at all of the ergodox competitors that are coming to market.

All?

There are others?

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #220 on: Wed, 31 December 2014, 14:05:57 »

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #221 on: Wed, 31 December 2014, 17:25:54 »
There are [other ergonomic keyboards coming to market]?
Check this thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54858.0

Offline Talfrey

« Reply #222 on: Tue, 06 January 2015, 00:03:59 »
Do we have any update on these?

Late January or early February last I heard, hopefully no further delays?

Offline 7th1rt3en

« Reply #223 on: Tue, 06 January 2015, 18:44:24 »
Do we have any update on these?

Late January or early February last I heard, hopefully no further delays?

I bet at this point that there's little left to do, little that can cause delays. I'm really looking forward to it, my first mechanical keyboard and first ergo.

Offline zxz

« Reply #224 on: Sat, 17 January 2015, 06:22:36 »
Got my pre order in for the iso version with Keyboardco! Will it have a usb hub built in like the mini I'm currently using? Also will we be able to buy a full set of PBT keycaps for the ergo pro with UK printed caps?

Offline Matias

« Reply #225 on: Sun, 18 January 2015, 17:53:46 »
I'm in China now for the run up to production.  It's all looking good.  We're sorting out a few issues with the steel mounting plates, but nothing major.

Got my pre order in for the iso version with Keyboardco! Will it have a usb hub built in like the mini I'm currently using? Also will we be able to buy a full set of PBT keycaps for the ergo pro with UK printed caps?

Yes, it has a 3-port USB 2.0 hub built in.

You'll be able to buy a full set of PBT keycaps when we get the keycap tooling finished (no schedule on that yet).

Offline h1ro

« Reply #226 on: Mon, 19 January 2015, 06:54:55 »
Thanks for the update Matias - hope the steel mounting plate issue is easily fixed!

Offline Matias

« Reply #227 on: Mon, 19 January 2015, 08:42:19 »

Thanks for the update Matias - hope the steel mounting plate issue is easily fixed!

Yeah, it's easy.  We met with the vendor yesterday, and they're already working on it...

Offline h1ro

« Reply #228 on: Mon, 19 January 2015, 09:03:44 »
Excellent. And so great that you can be there to oversee the final stages of your masterpiece :)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #229 on: Mon, 19 January 2015, 09:06:30 »
This looks really nice I wish it allowed for reprogramming of keys. :(

Offline Matias

« Reply #230 on: Mon, 19 January 2015, 09:15:27 »
Excellent. And so great that you can be there to oversee the final stages of your masterpiece :)

Thanks.  :-)   We certainly seem to have hit a sweet spot with this design, though you can't please everyone...   :-)

This looks really nice I wish it allowed for reprogramming of keys. :(

Macro software is your friend.  All things are possible with it.

Offline pss395

« Reply #231 on: Mon, 19 January 2015, 15:13:59 »
I'd love to have one of these keyboard. For $200 I can have a preassembled keyboard with wrist rest, keycaps and tent feet included. Pretty sweet.

The only problem I have is I've only use MX Brown and their lightness is perfect for me. I'm not sure if I'll like the stiffer Matias Quiet switches or not.

Offline zxz

« Reply #232 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 17:31:39 »
I switched to a Matias mini with quiet keys from a coolermaster with mx brown, they're both nice but I kept the Matias  :thumb:

Offline Gerk

« Reply #233 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 15:45:47 »
I'm in China now for the run up to production.  It's all looking good.  We're sorting out a few issues with the steel mounting plates, but nothing major.

w00t!  I'm getting excited.  My one goldtouch is getting kinda rough and needs to be bumped from the daily driver position.  How exactly do the two pieces connect together again?  I thought I saw USB at one point but then I thought I read something else.  Are we going to be able to use a longer cable so we can further split the board halves?

Offline tt

« Reply #234 on: Fri, 30 January 2015, 10:28:43 »
The undo/cut/copy/paste keys generate the appropriate key combo's for Windows or Mac.

Does this mean that I won't be able to use it in Emacs? There is apparently a keysym in X11 (i.e. something you can map a scancode to) called "copy" which Emacs helpfully tells me to use in the future every time I manually run the clipboard-kill-ring-save command – I was hoping I could bind this copy key to that.

If it just sends ctrl+x, that's totally useless: 1) that key combination means something completely different in Emacs; and 2) I already have the ctrl and x keys for that.

Offline Matias

« Reply #235 on: Fri, 30 January 2015, 11:41:04 »

w00t!  I'm getting excited.  My one goldtouch is getting kinda rough and needs to be bumped from the daily driver position.  How exactly do the two pieces connect together again?  I thought I saw USB at one point but then I thought I read something else.  Are we going to be able to use a longer cable so we can further split the board halves?

The two sides connect with a male-to-male TRRS cable, which is the same plug used by the earbuds that come with all the smartphones these days.  Extension cables are available in various lengths.

I'd love to have one of these keyboard. For $200 I can have a preassembled keyboard with wrist rest, keycaps and tent feet included. Pretty sweet.

The only problem I have is I've only use MX Brown and their lightness is perfect for me. I'm not sure if I'll like the stiffer Matias Quiet switches or not.

Actually, Quiet Click switches are not as heavy as you might think.  They're tactile, so the peak force falls rapidly after actuation.

In contrast, Cherry switches are a simple linear spring design, so their peak force has to be lower (since there's no fall off -- the opposite, in fact).  It's a limitation of the Cherry design.

The undo/cut/copy/paste keys generate the appropriate key combo's for Windows or Mac.

Does this mean that I won't be able to use it in Emacs? There is apparently a keysym in X11 (i.e. something you can map a scancode to) called "copy" which Emacs helpfully tells me to use in the future every time I manually run the clipboard-kill-ring-save command � I was hoping I could bind this copy key to that.

If it just sends ctrl+x, that's totally useless: 1) that key combination means something completely different in Emacs; and 2) I already have the ctrl and x keys for that.

Yes, it sends Ctrl-X or Command-X etc. for PC vs. Mac.

The macro keys are there primarily for users who don't use (or are not aware of) the normal keyboard shortcuts.  In Emacs they (unfortunately) will not be of much use to you.

Offline tt

« Reply #236 on: Fri, 30 January 2015, 12:11:32 »
Yes, it sends Ctrl-X or Command-X etc. for PC vs. Mac.

The macro keys are there primarily for users who don't use (or are not aware of) the normal keyboard shortcuts.  In Emacs they (unfortunately) will not be of much use to you.

That is unfortunate. I suppose it's way too late to have another mode that just gives each key its own scancode?

Now, about the keycaps, what are the options for those that use an unpopular Dvorak variant? Could I get blank keycaps, or side-printed keycaps (like the Filco Ninja keyboards), or maybe dark-gray on black (like certain Topre models)? (Just to avoid having qwerty staring me in the face.)

Offline Gerk

« Reply #237 on: Tue, 03 February 2015, 09:21:36 »

The two sides connect with a male-to-male TRRS cable, which is the same plug used by the earbuds that come with all the smartphones these days.  Extension cables are available in various lengths.

Fantastic.  Thanks for the reply.  I see from the website that the first run is sold out -- congrats :)   Really looking forward to getting this board and giving it a shot, I can finally do what I've wanted to do forever with this board -- I want to make the "mad hacker chair" and have the keyboard halves each mounted to shelves attached to the armrests of the chair and have them flip up so you can get in and out of it.  If I get around to doing this I'll post some pics for sure .. I think I have a pretty good plan and most of the hardware already to execute this, just waiting for the board to arrive before I commit to some of the last bits to make sure it all fits as expected :)

Offline Talfrey

« Reply #238 on: Mon, 09 February 2015, 00:48:25 »
Getting close to the end of "Early February" and no updates.

Should I be excited that there have been no delays, or concerned that nothing has been said? :)

Hoping I get this baby soon!

Offline worzel666

« Reply #239 on: Tue, 10 February 2015, 18:50:51 »
After I ordered at the beginning of this month I got an email from KeyboardCo. They say that they move to production in March, but the UK isn't expected to receive any stock until the end of May. Not sure I can wait that long to get rid of my rubber dome board! :P

Offline Gerk

« Reply #240 on: Sat, 14 February 2015, 09:09:10 »

I got a truly ergonomic on the very first pre-order run, yes it was delayed, yes it finally did come, and yes they also finally released the remapping software. Unfortunately I never got fully used to the alternate layout (would have been PERFECT had they just kept normal key positions but used the cool staggered keys), and I still have it boxed for resale.

This pre-order definitely feels similar; the delays don't surprise me and I'm sure we'll get them eventually.

Do you work for Truly Ergonomic or something?  That was the understatement of the century.  It took them almost two full years after their initially promised ship date to get the hardware in people's hands and they outright lied over and over and over again in the process, and they never did ship the firmware remapping software at all (at least in the way they promised it) -- they do have some web based thing that I've never used (as it arrived another year or two after the keyboard and by that time I had given up on using mine due to all the problems with it).

This pre-order doesn't feel anything like that one.  Matias is active here on the forums, has informed everyone up front about delays and it hasn't been dragging on for two years with lie after lie about shipping dates.  He's been very up front on the setbacks (they happen).  Lastly Matis is a very reputable company with a long history -- Truly ergonomic, not so much.

Offline Matias

Matias Ergo Pro production run photos
« Reply #241 on: Mon, 16 February 2015, 11:35:25 »
As promised, photos from the first production run are below...  :-)

90920-0

90922-1

90924-2

90926-3

90928-4

90930-5

90932-6

90934-7

90936-8

90938-9

90940-10

90942-11

90944-12

90946-13

90948-14

90950-15

90952-16

90954-17

90956-18

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #242 on: Mon, 16 February 2015, 11:47:49 »
Very interesting! Thanks for sharing the pics!

Offline h1ro

« Reply #243 on: Mon, 16 February 2015, 11:56:57 »
Those are amazing shots! Love seeing the care taken by the assembler there looking at the connection between the upper and lower case. I am now officially excited to get my pre order. Any idea when shipping will start (uk here)

Thanks so much for sharing the pics

Offline Matias

« Reply #244 on: Mon, 16 February 2015, 12:44:38 »

Those are amazing shots! Love seeing the care taken by the assembler there looking at the connection between the upper and lower case. I am now officially excited to get my pre order. Any idea when shipping will start (uk here)

Thanks so much for sharing the pics

Thanks!

They're being flown in now.  The exact shipping schedule will depend on how soon they clear customs.

If you're in the UK but pre-ordered a US model, it'll ship from Taiwan.  If you ordered a UK/German/Nordic one, those will be done in the next production run (in about a month).

Offline intelli78

« Reply #245 on: Mon, 16 February 2015, 13:08:25 »
Good stuff. Which switches will be available?
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline Matias

« Reply #246 on: Mon, 16 February 2015, 14:03:45 »

Good stuff. Which switches will be available?

For the first 2 production runs, Quiet switches only.  We're considering doing a Massdrop for other either clicky or linear.

BTW I just saw that we're currently leading their vote for best split keyboard...  :-)

https://www.massdrop.com/vote/best-splitted-keyboard

90977-0

Offline Hairball

« Reply #247 on: Mon, 16 February 2015, 14:33:51 »
Looking great!  I'm pretty sure I need this in my life.  :D

I'm holing off until I see some hands-on impressions/reviews or if the massdrop, well, drops and it's becomes an offer I can't refuse.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #248 on: Mon, 16 February 2015, 17:42:05 »
Looks great. Such fancy boxes!

Offline litster

• rare caps?! THAT'S A SMILIN
« Reply #249 on: Mon, 16 February 2015, 17:58:54 »
From my experience in using cherry MX5000, IBM M15, Microsoft Natural Keyboards, as well as designing the ErgoDox acrylic cases, I think this Ergo Pro keyboard layout and industrial design look very nice.  Look forward to receiving and reviewing my Ergo Pro pre order.