Author Topic: [GB] Think6.5° | 65% Custom Keyboard (completed)  (Read 253773 times)

Offline ninjacore

I'll believe it when it's in my hands and fully functional. We are months late, and despite what was initially said, brass isn't shipping first and we aren't going in purchase order either. People have gotten the wrong cases shipped to them, missing accessories, and PCBs with incorrectly installed diodes. What little communication happens seems to be blowing smoke; telling us what we want to hear.

I think I've only seen 5 - 10 people with issues and afaik, they've all been responded to quickly and are resolved/in the process of being resolved.

That's a fairly small percentage of orders with issues, considering the scale of this GB and the fact that it wasn't facilitated by a retailer.

I'm not trying to make excuses, just provide a different perspective.  Patience is the name of the game with keyboard-related group buys.

Offline kolyz

Re: [GB] Think6.5° | 65% Custom Keyboard (collect phone number for shipping)
« Reply #501 on: Wed, 06 November 2019, 14:15:16 »
anyone know how to change the LED colors, cycle through the modes, etc?

should be Fn + W (Fn key is on the left of the left arrow key)

Yeah that works, thanks!

I wish we had the default programming of the PCB as it was shipped, because I plan to reprogram it with QMK and I don't want to forget to add something useful.

Offline kolyz

« Reply #502 on: Wed, 06 November 2019, 14:42:56 »

Yeah that works, thanks!

I wish we had the default programming of the PCB as it was shipped, because I plan to reprogram it with QMK and I don't want to forget to add something useful.

Nevermind! Seems like a default layout has been added to the qmk configurator  :D https://config.qmk.fm/#/gray_studio/think65/hotswap/LAYOUT_65_ansi_blocker

Offline Moridin

• Infinite Diaries
« Reply #503 on: Wed, 06 November 2019, 15:51:07 »

Yeah that works, thanks!

It was posted to the discord - the original JSON file.

Offline orim23

Still waiting for my board. feels like shipping is taking a month! I paid for shipping right away, which is soon a month ago.

Offline Kevadu

Anyone have a QMK configuration for a split backspace?  I'm a little confused because the default config is only using 15 columns but with split backspace you have 16 in the top row.

Offline Koï

If anyone want to sell his board in clear PC badgeless, pm me please.

Offline Kevadu

Anyone have a QMK configuration for a split backspace?  I'm a little confused because the default config is only using 15 columns but with split backspace you have 16 in the top row.

Replying to my own comment because I figured it out.  Realized I needed to use LAYOUT_all rather than LAYOUT_65_blocker.  It's a little confusing because despite the name the difference doesn't appear to have anything to do with whether or not there's a blocker.  Rather LAYOUT_all adds support for split backspace and split left shift.

Offline twistitup

Looking to buy a PC hotswap Think6.5°, let me know if you're trying to get rid of yours!

Offline Sic_Alpha

Still waiting for my board. feels like shipping is taking a month! I paid for shipping right away, which is soon a month ago.

Pretty sure there's a lot of us still waiting.  I was pretty low # on purchase list, also paid shipping within 5 minutes of receiving invoice.  Tic toc tic toc

Offline orim23

Pretty sure there's a lot of us still waiting.  I was pretty low # on purchase list, also paid shipping within 5 minutes of receiving invoice.  Tic toc tic toc

Got my shipping notification. so it seems complaining works :-)

Offline add1ct3dd

Got my shipping notification. so it seems complaining works :-)

Lol I wish, 2 emails 0 replies!

Apparently the last 60 are meant to ship today, we'll see if that happens :)

Offline whinmeister

Good to know there are quite a few in the US still waiting. I've yet to receive shipping notification.

Offline infinitecurry

I received my board but only the LED in the top left corner works. Everything else on the PCB seems fine, has anyone else experience this issue?

Offline odd

I have issues with the RGB backlighting. The last 3 LEDs on the top right hand do not light up. Any hints or help to get this working, thanks.

Offline Moridin

• Infinite Diaries
For LED problems see Discord channel (shorting JL connector on PCB) or just email Potter. His address is pinned in Discord.

Offline ponchofreedo

• it me
i wish there were leftovers that we could potentially order :/ ... looks great

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
I did not get a badge with mine, who should I contact concerning this?
VE.A 67g Zealios | GH60 MX Clears |

Offline BlankeyGotCaps

I did not get a badge with mine, who should I contact concerning this?

Is your board badgeless? If so badgeless do not come with a badge on the side.

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.

The price was the same so I requested they include the item I technically paid for. "Its easier to have one price" is not really a good excuse to not give someone something they technically paid for.

Offline ninjacore

The price was the same so I requested they include the item I technically paid for. "Its easier to have one price" is not really a good excuse to not give someone something they technically paid for.
It's a completely different product, though, right? The top case is entirely different on badgeless vs. badged.

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
It's a completely different product, though, right? The top case is entirely different on badgeless vs. badged.

You are right, I don't know why less milling would reduce the price. Silly me.

Offline Hell-es

You are right, I don't know why less milling would reduce the price. Silly me.

Maybe you have a different starting post from potter, but mine is

Key features

4. 4.5mm, integrated plate, with switch slot and corner cuts to optimize switch tolerance.
5. Four versions: ANSI with badge (compact 660), ANSI without badge, Compatible-layout with badge, and compatible-layout without badge
6. PCB: fully programmable, QMK, type-C (center position connector), underglow, ESC 4XRGB, 3 hotswap LED slots above badge, Kaihua hotswap sockets for

And

What’s In The Box?

Each Think65 will include the following:
1x case, top and bottom
1x brass weight (gold PVD)
1x brass badge (gold PVD, not included with layout #2(b) or #4(d))
1x PCB
Plenty of screws, rubber feet, LEDs, box designed by airpotter.

So for me that is not too complicated

Offline tskiller

Yeah I do not understand why one would feel entitled to a brass badge when they ordered the badgeless layout. The original post was quite clear with what you would get with that product.

Offline add1ct3dd

Can we please get some clarity, information or even any form of contact regarding the remaining boards that haven't shipped yet.

The shipping dates keep sliding, the amount of contact between potter and bhk is reducing and oldcat hasn't been around for months. A lot of people now have theirs, but there's still people with nothing and some with incorrect boards or missing parts.

Later shipping dates are fine, but constant promises of shipping to then be greeted with nothing become tiresome, if there's a delay then just say, but no information is frustrating. Everyone is seemingly quiet in here, but there's a fair few disgruntled people in discord, so maybe this will get some visibility.

For reference I have sent potter 4 emails. 1 was regarding mobile number for shipping which he replied almost immediately. The other 3 emails have had 0 reply, and I don't believe they're blocked as he replied to the first one, and I've sent them from multiple addresses which use different providers.

It's a bit of a mumbled message because a lot of it is just frustrations being brought out, but just any information would be great, even if there's a delay. Realistic timeframes are far better than false ones.

Offline coffeeshopcoder

Whatever happened to oldcat?

Wasn’t this GB supposed to be the one will all the superior communication ?

Offline micklll

So many problems in this GB has arisen. The board is amazing but the logistics have been a nightmare.

First of all the GB runner Oldcat seems to have disappeared from the face of the earth, leaving all the communication duties to his moderator on discord. On Graystudio's side, shipping has constantly been pushed back with little to no updates from Potter even after deadlines have been crossed. I've paid the shipping invoice over a month ago and still have no idea when the board will be shipped out. Potter claims he would have shipped it out 2 weeks ago but continues to cover it up with excuses.

Second of all the pcbs (especially the hotswap ones) have had tons of issues. There has been reports of LEDs malfunctioning, diodes soldered in the wrong direction, and hotswap sockets not soldered on properly. The whole point of hotswap pcbs is to lower the barrier of entry in this hobby and eliminate soldering for newcomers. The hotswap socket issues force new users in the community to buy soldering tools to fix the mistakes made by Graystudio. I cannot endorse GrayStudio any longer. This isn't the first time. Space65's shipping was a sh*tshow as well. Save yourself a headache and avoid this manufacturer. I will reiterate this on GrayStudio's future group buy threads to warn others.

Offline orim23

Can someone tell me where the rubber-ring/gasket thingies go? I got 10 of them. That is more then needed for one side, but not two. which side do I put them on?

Offline ninjacore

Those are washers for screw-in stabilizers.

Offline orim23

Those are washers for screw-in stabilizers.
hu. TIL! thanks!

Offline Riskymilk

Looking to buy a black Think6.5 if anyone doesn't want theirs. Thanks!

Offline cattharsis

Looking to buy a badgeless polycarb think 6.5 solder pcb if anyone wants to let theirs go. Please PM, Thanks!

Offline baoduy23

Ok, I would like to ask why my order is not shipped yet?

Offline eskimojo

• KeycapLendar
Ok, I would like to ask why my order is not shipped yet?

Latest update from Potter (shared on Discord, can't blame you for not knowing) says that all pc and alu is handed to shipping agent. Tracking updates expected on Wednesday.

No updates on brass yet.

Offline Riskymilk

Looking to buy a black one (preferred badgeless)

Offline A57RO

Hi guys,

The letter I on my keyboard will not work, yes I have tried everything apart from solder which I’ve never done before and honestly don’t want to. It’s the think6.5 hotswap board, the key will only register when I place the switch at an angle leaning forward and it will register every time but when I fully seat the switch it will not register.

So can someone here please help me or tell me who to speak to and how to contact them? Alternatively is there any other pcb that will fit the think6.5? At this point it’s just an expensive brick and I can’t say I’m impressed.  I’ve reached out on gray studio instagram and in discord there’s a thread on discord if you wanna check it out I have pictures etc in there as well. I’m just really frustrated by this as its my first custom board and I can’t use it. :(

Offline ninjacore

Hi guys,

The letter I on my keyboard will not work, yes I have tried everything apart from solder which I’ve never done before and honestly don’t want to. It’s the think6.5 hotswap board, the key will only register when I place the switch at an angle leaning forward and it will register every time but when I fully seat the switch it will not register.

So can someone here please help me or tell me who to speak to and how to contact them? Alternatively is there any other pcb that will fit the think6.5? At this point it’s just an expensive brick and I can’t say I’m impressed.  I’ve reached out on gray studio instagram and in discord there’s a thread on discord if you wanna check it out I have pictures etc in there as well. I’m just really frustrated by this as its my first custom board and I can’t use it. :(

Sorry you’re having issues. It sounds like it’s almost certainly a hotswap socket solder issue since it works intermittently.  Have you tried different switches in the socket?  Do have any friends with a soldering iron?  Or an electronics repair shop nearby?

Offline A57RO

Hi guys,

Sorry you’re having issues. It sounds like it’s almost certainly a hotswap socket solder issue since it works intermittently.  Have you tried different switches in the socket?  Do have any friends with a soldering iron?  Or an electronics repair shop nearby?

Sorry for the belated response, I have now found a local Australian who will solder the HS for me and get it working, Honestly after my experience with this product and I will say it’s a great keyboard but the pcb is an absolute piece of **** the manufacture absolutely cheaped out here it was obviously rushed with little attention to detail. And I am not the only one with these issues either others have led’s that don’t work etc or just DOA. Now I will add that I didn’t buy direct from the drop I purchased this aftermarket so it's my own fault for obviously not checking further but after my experience, I’ve messaged gray studio on intsa, hit them up on there discord left messages here and not a single response and again I’m not the only one.

All due respect but I will never buy any of there products in the future, just a really poor show, no support, no spare pcb’s essentially you either learn to solder, find a friend who does or you’re left with an expensive brick.

These guys seem to just have no respect for their products and by the looks of it the community either.

Anyway all will hopefully be well after it’s fixed but in future never again from oldcat or potter they can keep their keyboards.

Offline olsen34

Just shows that lots of communication from the GB runner in the beginning doesn't mean **** if they disappear during times like these. Lol.

Offline Moridin

• Infinite Diaries
(...) I’ve messaged gray studio on intsa, hit them up on there discord left messages here and not a single response and again I’m not the only one (...)

Yeah, there's a firewall blocking you from him (and vice versa) along the way. You need to email Potter. His email is pinned in the #think65 channel on Graystudio's discord.

Offline A57RO

(...) I’ve messaged gray studio on intsa, hit them up on there discord left messages here and not a single response and again I’m not the only one (...)

Yeah, there's a firewall blocking you from him (and vice versa) along the way. You need to email Potter. His email is pinned in the #think65 channel on Graystudio's discord.

I don’t think it makes any difference apparently from what I’ve heard he doesn’t respond even if you do direct email hence I’m not wasting anymore time on it. I’ll get it fixed locally and that’ll be that, I’m actually exited to actually use it, it’ll be my daily driver as I said I think it’s a great kb just very poor in every other area from the gb runners so will never ever support anything or any aftermarket stuff with their name on it I don’t care how good it is.

Just thinking out loud but who does business this way? It’s actually hilarious when you think about it, not a single follow up on anything, not even a “hows it going guys any feed back? Hope you’re all enjoying your new kb” nothing, nada. It’s really weird. Anyway I feel worse for the people that bought the all brass version or whatever it is seems they never getting theirs may as well call it a donation and be done with it.

Offline Moridin

• Infinite Diaries
Just thinking out loud but who does business this way? It’s actually hilarious when you think about it, not a single follow up on anything, not even a “hows it going guys any feed back? Hope you’re all enjoying your new kb” nothing, nada. It’s really weird. Anyway I feel worse for the people that bought the all brass version or whatever it is seems they never getting theirs may as well call it a donation and be done with it.

His phone was stolen recently, so he lost all access to his comms. Details in discord.

Offline A57RO

His phone was stolen recently, so he lost all access to his comms. Details in discord.

I’ve never heard that one before... Not trying to be rude, and hey maybe it was really stolen 🤷‍♂️ But that excuse is probably the most widely used by people that fail to communicate or deliver on promises, that and my kid was sick, my dog died or they were in hospital. I heard it all before.

Anyway my think65 is fixed now, and what do you know? Not a single bit of solder on the hotswaps lol

Offline tskiller

Any word on the brass? Been over a month since they took shipping invoice, most other things seem to have shipped but radio silence on brass.

Offline PocketAces

ne extras avail

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Hell-es

Still waiting for further communication on pcb issues - communication could really be a bit eerrr more existant

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
All PC/aluminum have been shipped

Full brass is in final check stage and will ship out soon

Potter is planning to check with everyone their address and phone number. Wait for an email from him

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
Still waiting for further communication on pcb issues - communication could really be a bit eerrr more existant

Pls reach out in wechat group if possible, potter said his vpn access is sporadic

Offline Hell-es

Pls reach out in wechat group if possible, potter said his vpn access is sporadic

Finally again reached him again via mail - after initial communication was good.

Hopefully replacement will be sent next week.

A bit sad looking at a non working think for many weeks, but if it works in the end.

Glad to see you alive

Offline kzwai

wtb think6.5 with polycarbonate or rosegold case with hotswap pcb.

please pm