Author Topic: [IC] Cloudline - 88% F13 TKL | GB on Saturday, October 9th  (Read 256858 times)

Offline SwirlCables

• * Vendor
  • Where Cables Meet End Game
    • SwirlCables - Custom Made Coiled Cables
Re: [IC] Cloudline - 88% F13 WKL TKL | Aluminum Full Plate DEMO
« Reply #300 on: Sat, 10 July 2021, 01:03:07 »
this is siiiiiick!  :eek:

Offline achingfingers

« Reply #301 on: Wed, 14 July 2021, 13:19:31 »
Going to KIV this one. Looks good.

Offline tugg

« Reply #302 on: Thu, 22 July 2021, 13:01:56 »
will this support split backspace?

Offline Ustinj

« Reply #303 on: Thu, 22 July 2021, 13:51:31 »
This is the layout that the PCB is slated to support:

Offline hali

• hali.studio
« Reply #304 on: Thu, 22 July 2021, 13:53:25 »
No 10u?

Offline Fatty-Do-Do

Re: [IC] Cloudline - 88% F13 WKL TKL | Unit Counts Announced (May 21)
« Reply #305 on: Thu, 22 July 2021, 19:02:22 »
I received some modified test plates and I am very happy with the way they turned out. As mentioned last time, I felt that the full aluminum plate design from before was a little too forgiving and there wasn't enough variety, so I aimed to firm up the feel a bit.

Show Image

In the end, here is what we have. The original 'leaf-spring' kerf-cut design was too flexible, even in a full-plate configuration. So it's been replaced with a modified top-mount, with some added relief through longer mounting arms. More flexible material plates, such as polycarbonate and polypropylene, will not have these relief arms - they will be removed in exchange for a typical top-mount. I quite like the feel of the board with this new full aluminum plate. It's got a sharp tactility and bottom out, but still has a pretty decent amount of flex due to only having 4 mounting point placed around the alphas. If we want firmer, there are stiffer materials out there...

That being said, very pleased to announce that files have been finalized and have been sent off for pre-production prototyping. When those are received, I believe we'll be able to confirm some exciting details such as group-buy dates, pricing, etc.

Has a GB date or price been mentioned for this yet?

No confirmed date yet, hopefully we have that soon. See the above message!

Presumably this can be built as ISO with an appropriate PCB/plate.  Will that be supported as an option on purchase?  Will plate files be released?

The PCB will support ISO, but I haven't confirmed whether or not ISO compatible plates will be offered in GB yet. If not, I don't think it will be much issue to offer files for people to have their own plates made.

Please please please offer ISO plates!

Seconded. Pleas gimme my ISO.

Offline milka158

« Reply #306 on: Fri, 23 July 2021, 02:53:45 »
very beautiful  :thumb:

Offline mr_foggy

• land of the worst vendor(s)
« Reply #307 on: Fri, 30 July 2021, 09:52:21 »
keeping a serious eye on this. if it stays under $500 I'll be trying to get it for sure.

Offline alwaysbless

« Reply #308 on: Fri, 30 July 2021, 19:04:52 »
New engraving design is looking very n o i c e. Cant wait to see the new protos.

Offline Ustinj

« Reply #309 on: Fri, 30 July 2021, 20:01:04 »
Major Update: Yet Another Engraving Iteration... (but it's final!)

Scroll to the bottom for a TL;DR...

I've spent many hours putting together an engraving that I felt completely satisfied with for Cloudline. Now that I've finally found something that I think fits the theme and looks the way I want it, I'm happy to present the FINAL engraving for Cloudline. I want to recap the different iterations of engravings that this board has gone through. Of course, I don't want this to come off as me being fickle or undecisive - IMO, it's normal for designs to change, improve (subjective), and go through stages to get to their final form. This is just a log to share the thought process that went into each stage.

Engraving 0

The very first iteration of the engraving was a logo. I decided I didn't want to establish myself as a brand, so that was scrapped quickly. It was obvious that most people would prefer for their keyboards to not be branded with a large, visible-in-use designer logo as well (except for some goated boards...). I ordered my first prototype with this engraving.

Issues:
  • It was a 'brand logo'

Engraving 1

It made more sense for the keyboard to be engraved with something related to the board itself, rather than the designer. I didn't want to leave the top-case plain, as I wanted the board to be easily identifiable from any angle. A blank top-case would look like any other blank-top TKL. The first cloud-related engraving on the top case was a simple cloud with an underline, centered above the arrow keys.

It was at this stage where I looked at my keyboard on my desk, and had a really strong vision of a clean rectangular engraving, looking like a long window with clouds spanning the length of it.

Issues:
  • Instead of the 'elegant and minimal' look I was aiming for, it felt 'wimpy and underwhelming'.
  • I'll be honest - this engraving is still good to me. It probably could have worked if I tweaked with the thickness of the stroke.

Engraving 2

After reflecting on the overall board design, I decided I wanted something a bit more detailed and eye-catching. After all, the internal aesthetic of the board definitely had a lot of thought put into it. So I started working on drafts for a potential 'long engraving'. It was a struggle to gauge the amount of detail that would work on an engraving, especially since the physical scale of designing on a computer screen is a lot different from actually seeing it to-size in person. I ended up feeling satisfied with one of the WORST engraving iterations I've yet had. I'm almost embarrassed to look back on this one...

A major issue I ran into is that in order to reduce the artificial symmetry of the logo, I created empty spaces in the sky that I felt needed to be filled with a moon and stars. I got carried away, and I'm not afraid to admit it. I lost sight of my original idea, and the result strayed further and further from being a clean, elegant rectangle with clouds.

Issues:
  • It was weird.
  • It felt like a 'mess of lines', disorganized and unsure in what it was trying to represent.
  • Way too detailed for an engraving of its size.
  • Shannie suggested I work on reducing the 'symmetry' of the logo - symmetry in clouds is unnatural and artificial.

Engraving 3

After a few weeks, I looked at Engraving 2 and realized it was a bit too weird, a bit too abstract. I tried to move a bit closer towards my original idea of a 'rectangle' and decided to close out the edges. I thickened the stroke width, simplified some details in the clouds, and came up with this. This is the current engraving that we have coming on the pre-production prototypes.

Issues:
  • It's 'cute', mainly due to the style of moon and stars.
  • The moon and stars strayed from the overall theme.
  • It felt a little 'unclean' compared to the rest of the board.

Engraving 4 (The Final Iteration)

Somewhere inside my head, a tiny voice was whispering that it didn't really fit the theme. As the days went on, that voice became louder, urging me to sit down and work on more designs until I had something that I was completely happy with. I decided I'd save the moon and stars for another idea later down the road. Struggling to find out what I was going for, I really tried to focus on my original motive for redesigning the first engraving - I wanted something a bit more detailed, but not 'dirty'. It became obvious what the issues with Engraving 3 were. I wanted to clean up the corners, reduce the cuteness of the engraving, and tie it closer into the overall theme and surrounding design cues of the board.

I made a few iterations that I felt happy with, but thankfully Shannie (my partner and collaborator on this project) made me take a step back and look at my design again... her response: "bc the clouds you have rn feel a bit clearly blocked off, it still looks good but it is like very symmetrical when clouds normally are not" - it was not the response I was hoping for, but the response I needed.

For those wanting a clean, blank top - this update probably won't be what you're looking for. But I'm excited to share this final engraving, as I now can confidently say I've found the one that clicked for me. I'd like to thank Shannie again for helping on this project, her critique and advice were invaluable to putting this engraving together (and the birds! She drew the birds!). Without her, this board would definitely not be the end-product it is today.

The engraving is a rectangle, as I had originally anticipated. But Shannie's suggestions to make the engraving assymmetrical forced me to come up with a different, more dynamic composition for the clouds. As things neared completion, the idea to 'open' up the rectangle where it meets the sky came to mind. I used Shannie's bird silhouette illustrations at the border, showing them flying free and 'escaping' the box that borders the engraving, figuratively breaking free of the engraving (over the sky). I'm happy with this one. It's cleaner than the previous iterations, it captures the original vision I had, and remains true to the original theme of Cloudline (and Shannie likes it - very important!).

Here's a full image of the top of the board. Keep in mind, it's hard to judge an engraving from renders due to scale - in making this, I would constantly render sized to match a keycap I had in hand, in order to gauge the thickness of the strokes.

Upcoming pre-production prototypes will have Engraving 3, but I've requested for some sheets to be engraved with the final engraving to give myself a physical reference.

I will be taking some time to update the images in the IC to reflect the latest changes.

Offline Ustinj

Re: [IC] Cloudline - 88% F13 WKL TKL | FINAL ENGRAVING ITERATION!
« Reply #310 on: Fri, 30 July 2021, 20:05:53 »
Oh, and as a status update.

Status Update, July 30th, 2021

Still awaiting the pre-production round of prototypes from the manufacturer. Also engraving references mentioned above have been ordered (will be on sheet metal). Prices have not yet been confirmed, GB date not yet confirmed, but I believe these details will be coming soon. 

Offline thejje

« Reply #311 on: Sat, 31 July 2021, 01:41:06 »
sexy

Offline Hell-es

« Reply #312 on: Sat, 31 July 2021, 05:28:14 »
Very nice  :thumb:

Hoping to get one +1 for iso plate

Offline chinchilla

« Reply #313 on: Sat, 31 July 2021, 08:36:03 »
I love F13 forevery

Offline ai06L

• SEE YOU, SPACE COWBOY
« Reply #314 on: Sat, 31 July 2021, 11:11:35 »
this is lit
Collection: Keycult No.1, 8XV2.0 Additional Ano silver WKL, FC660C Novatouched, Polaris, 8XV2.0 Additional coated black CWKL, Vega E-white, Vega Grey, Novatouch, Jelly Epoch SE

Waiting to ship: Cruelworld 60, 8XV3.0 light grey WKL

Offline Ustinj

Re: [IC] Cloudline - 88% / F13 WKL TKL
« Reply #315 on: Sat, 31 July 2021, 12:42:06 »
Wait oops I was on the wrong page of comments lol

Offline ManiacMarc

• Twitch
« Reply #316 on: Thu, 05 August 2021, 23:21:41 »
Such a bootiful keeb, but it's a shame it's a WKL.

Offline Ustinj

Re: [IC] Cloudline - 88% F13 TKL | FINAL ENGRAVING ITERATION!
« Reply #317 on: Fri, 06 August 2021, 00:35:00 »
Such a bootiful keeb, but it's a shame it's a WKL.

Avail in full layout as well.

Offline Grant-GG

« Reply #318 on: Fri, 06 August 2021, 03:59:06 »
elaborate TKL

Offline Ustinj

« Reply #319 on: Fri, 06 August 2021, 23:44:31 »
Important note regarding upcoming prototypes

Well, the moment is coming soon ... so I think now is a pretty good time to stress this message.

The upcoming prototypes will not be completely reflective of the final board design, but should be a pretty perfect representation of the board in terms of build process, sound, and feel.

Here are some key points that may be different:

• Feet Cutouts - The upcoming prototypes will have circular feet cutouts. I will be experimenting with longer die-cut feet cutouts instead of the standard circular shape.
  • Engraving - The top case on the prototypes will have the older engravings. I will be sampling the final engraving as well as some miniscule tweaks to the bottom weight's engraving.
  • Colors - The colors may be tweaked a bit. Anodization is a tricky manual process.
  • Finish - I will be deciding between a finer matte silver, versus a more lustrous silver.

Offline Grant-GG

Re: [IC] Cloudline - 88% F13 TKL | Important notice regarding prototypes.
« Reply #320 on: Sat, 07 August 2021, 04:07:41 »
 I have impression that prototypes take about a month to arrive after they are ordered, but do you have an ETA on when the prototypes will arrive with final adjustments made?

Offline TomatoMan

« Reply #321 on: Sat, 07 August 2021, 17:52:17 »
Lovely board! Not huge fun of the big engravings, out of them all i like the engraving 1 the most. Hopefully there is gonna be an EU vendor!

Offline o3okevin

« Reply #322 on: Sat, 07 August 2021, 20:18:15 »
Lovely board! Not huge fun of the big engravings, out of them all i like the engraving 1 the most. Hopefully there is gonna be an EU vendor!
There is, MKB.EU has 50 units and Prototypist has 20

Offline Grant-GG

« Reply #323 on: Mon, 09 August 2021, 05:21:20 »
Would it be possible to have you post an anodized sample aluminum sheet to clarify the color?

Offline TomatoMan

« Reply #324 on: Mon, 09 August 2021, 11:30:03 »
Would it be possible to have you post an anodized sample aluminum sheet to clarify the color?

Hopeffuly I'll be able to get 1!!  :thumb:

Offline Grant-GG

« Reply #325 on: Mon, 09 August 2021, 11:39:37 »

Hopeffuly I'll be able to get 1!!  :thumb:
!? thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Grant-GG

« Reply #326 on: Fri, 13 August 2021, 12:27:51 »
Is it likely that GB will be in September instead of this month?

Offline Ustinj

« Reply #327 on: Fri, 13 August 2021, 17:36:03 »

Functional prototypes have been shipped and are on the way to Cannonkeys. They will probably arrive sometime next week. I would have to discuss with vendors to find a time which group buy is feasible.

I have a final production prototype with all updated engravings and feet cutouts in the works as well - GB will likely be after that final prototype arrives, which I would estimate to be sometime near the end of August (possibly early September). But I'd like to wrap up and confirm some group buy details before then, so everyone could be better prepared.

Offline DuellM

• Keyboard Fatty
« Reply #328 on: Sat, 14 August 2021, 21:05:42 »

Functional prototypes have been shipped and are on the way to Cannonkeys. They will probably arrive sometime next week. I would have to discuss with vendors to find a time which group buy is feasible.

I have a final production prototype with all updated engravings and feet cutouts in the works as well - GB will likely be after that final prototype arrives, which I would estimate to be sometime near the end of August (possibly early September). But I'd like to wrap up and confirm some group buy details before then, so everyone could be better prepared.
Man Gmk Apollo looks way different from what I expected it to turn out from the renders. Since you have the actual keyset are you happy with the way the colors turned out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Ustinj

Re: [IC] Cloudline - 88% F13 TKL | PROTOTYPES ARRIVED
« Reply #329 on: Thu, 19 August 2021, 00:30:13 »
August 18th, 2021

Prototypes arrived a day or two ago to Cloudline's facilitating vendor, Cannon Keys. Big thanks to Upas to sharing a few photos.

We are currently waiting for prototype PCBs to come in, in which we will then ship them off for some community builds and external opinions. Again, the engraving on the top of the board here is not up to date.

I haven't seen the boards in person yet, but I can say for sure from the images:

• I felt the first prototype's blue was a bit too saturated, and overcompensated this time - the resulting blue here is suuuper desaturated. It's really nice though - I will definitely be saving this icey cool blue for another project. But in hindsight, looking at my existing prototype's blue in other lighting conditions actually seemed to fit what I was looking for. So I've got a final prototype with updated engravings coming in the original blue.
  • The dark gray is very dark - this is kind of what I expected, as I wanted the dark gray option to be near black (but not quite), so it could be an alternative to those who would normally choose black. I hope the slight green shade isn't present in person - will inspect this color when it arrives to me.

Here's the original blue that I'm going to fall back to:

« Last Edit: Thu, 19 August 2021, 00:36:48 by Ustinj »

Offline RedBananaBread

Re: [IC] Cloudline - 88% F13 TKL | PROTOTYPES
« Reply #330 on: Thu, 19 August 2021, 13:31:08 »
Looking awesome! Hope I can grab one.

Offline tarokeebs

• TMOv2r2 || Kikuichimonji
« Reply #331 on: Fri, 20 August 2021, 15:02:55 »
that is one sleek board. Love the gummy worm mount option, and I think the final badge design was a great choice!

collection: tmov2 | kikuichimonji

Offline baka jiken

« Reply #332 on: Sat, 21 August 2021, 02:17:57 »
Following. WANT!  :-*

Offline Ustinj

« Reply #333 on: Sat, 21 August 2021, 02:48:00 »
Update on color - Moonlight (dark grey / off-black).

The reason I went with a very dark gray was because I wanted a dark shade to frame dark gray caps. Black does this well, but I haven't seen black anodization doesn't have that 'metallic' look of gray and other lighter colors. This shade of gray does it wonderfully - however, this sample seems to have a very very slight hint of green in certain lighting conditions. Kind of cool, but going to see if this is consistently reproduced.

Sample compared to GMK Nines and WoB.

Offline misotsu

« Reply #334 on: Sat, 21 August 2021, 02:53:04 »
Just came across this. Very nice. Definitely keeping my eye out for the GB.

Offline Grant-GG

« Reply #335 on: Sat, 21 August 2021, 04:15:01 »
It was full of 60% and 65% in geekhack, but there was TKL that shone brightly, and that is Cloudline

Offline hzsh

• aspiring renderman
« Reply #336 on: Sat, 21 August 2021, 11:40:00 »
New color is absolutely nut

Offline CloudyEyes

« Reply #337 on: Sat, 21 August 2021, 22:59:11 »
Nice i like it

Offline brightsol

« Reply #338 on: Mon, 23 August 2021, 12:21:17 »
Very nice ! Looking forward to the GB

Offline enricodg

« Reply #339 on: Tue, 24 August 2021, 00:25:43 »
Looking forward for this board!
Pretty sure will sell out in under a minute tho.

Offline Heritage.T.A

« Reply #340 on: Tue, 24 August 2021, 02:18:21 »
Engraving 4 is much better, so much more sophisticated

Offline macclack

• Macclack
« Reply #341 on: Mon, 06 September 2021, 23:51:25 »
So lit

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #342 on: Sat, 11 September 2021, 13:26:33 »
Dearest Mr Justin What is the pantone color for the plum
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline nuuw

« Reply #343 on: Sat, 11 September 2021, 19:05:48 »
Absolutely stunning. I really enjoy the design. Would be nice to see a white color option. Clouds are white so why not make Cloudline white aswell?  :thumb:

Offline TellyVee

« Reply #344 on: Mon, 13 September 2021, 01:34:08 »
yooo this looks amazing! glad I caught this thread just before GB dates were announced. it would look great with the upcoming GMK Nimbus keycap set!
also, 500 units? this is gonna be like American shoppers during Black Friday sales, considering this thread's been read 135,683 times... any chance there will be more units later on to keep up with the demand?
« Last Edit: Mon, 13 September 2021, 15:10:40 by TellyVee »

Offline Ustinj

« Reply #345 on: Mon, 13 September 2021, 01:44:56 »
I suggested a PANTONE but since anodization is a pretty manual process, it's more like seeing and adjusting. For that reason I'm not going to publicly disclose the colors here since they didn't really help me all that much.. but for what it's worth, I suspect the red will be closer to burgundy than plum.

Absolutely stunning. I really enjoy the design. Would be nice to see a white color option. Clouds are white so why not make Cloudline white aswell?  :thumb:

I wanted to offer a classic silver, and wanted to limit to 4 color choices; white and silver were too close for me to have both... both colors were tested and it was a difficult decision, but one I'm quite set on for this run.

Offline mgdufoe

« Reply #346 on: Mon, 13 September 2021, 18:45:52 »
Looking forward to this!

Offline pleasega

« Reply #347 on: Tue, 14 September 2021, 01:37:33 »
hope the bottom silver is a matte silver, the lustrous shiny kind of silver is usually seen on cheap silver boards and makes it feel cheap also isnt that appealing.

Offline Ustinj

« Reply #348 on: Fri, 17 September 2021, 10:19:52 »
Update: September 17th, 2021

It's a date! The Cloudline group-buy sale is slated to open on Saturday, October 9th. Each vendor will have their own time schedule to open sale, so keep an eye out for those details later. In addition, we are working to get out finalized pricing very soon as well, so stay tuned. We're making some minor last-minute changes like the consideration of custom-moulded feet, etc. that may affect costs a tad bit.

And to top it all off, I'd like to also announce that the cap on this project is being nudged to 650 total spots, with each vendor getting a proportional increase. Hopefully that means everyone who wants a board will get one. Thank you so much all for your support on this project so far. Now we begin the exciting few weeks leading up into the sale.

Offline SolidCactus

« Reply #349 on: Fri, 17 September 2021, 10:22:44 »
Awesome, I marked the date in the calendar! Excited to see if I can grab one!