Author Topic: Handmade Wristrests (no wood)  (Read 5215 times)

Offline ssdt

Handmade Wristrests (no wood)
« on: Sun, 13 September 2015, 10:52:30 »
Consider this thread as an interest check for wristrests made of 100% cotton.
My sister in law made one for me, and I absolutely love it, so I asked her if she would do them for a little crowd of people.
My plan is to do them on basis of "factory cost" (I am lacking the correct english word I fear) and a little benefit for her time.

As said, the wristpads are made of cotton (really easy on the skin) and filled with high quality filling material (made of pu, completely (!) round).
The design will be customizable, so will the length be.

So my questions would be:
1. Would anyone of you be interested in them?
2. How much would you be willing to grant my "Valiant Little Tailor"?

For your consideration:

110873-0
110875-1
110877-2

EDIT:
The filling:
110889-3

EDIT 2:

The promised video (click on the image)
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 September 2015, 09:24:25 by ssdt »

Poker II         HHKB Pro 2

“We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit.” - Aristotle

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: Handmade Wristrests (no wood)
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 13 September 2015, 11:15:21 »
I think a picture of the filling would give us more idea what we're looking at (these don't look round...) and then maybe we could suggest a price?

Even better would be if you could send a review sample to some trusted people, but if the plan is for only a few to be made this might not be such a good idea.

I am interested enough to reply :)
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 13 September 2015, 11:36:48 »
Moved your interest check to the interest checks subforum :thumb:
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline ssdt

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 13 September 2015, 11:38:10 »
Thank you for replying! :)

I will text her for a photo of the filling. (The filling is deburred)

I used "a few", because she would do them in her free time, so I don't know how many would possibly be realistic a week.

“We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit.” - Aristotle

Offline ssdt

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 13 September 2015, 11:38:41 »
Moved your interest check to the interest checks subforum :thumb:

Thank you!

Offline ssdt

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 14 September 2015, 16:32:04 »
bump - photo of the filling has been added

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 14 September 2015, 16:48:02 »
Ah, it's a mini bean bag!  They're comfy to sit on, a nearly full miniature one sounds like a great idea for a wrist rest :)
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 14 September 2015, 19:48:26 »
I just don't feel like this would really fulfill the function I'm looking for in a wrist rest. The point is to place your hands at a more ergonomic angle, which a solid rest does just fine, but I don't think a squishy one would.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline keshley

• Blog n stuff
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 09:09:45 »
Depends how full it is. I use a Japanese buckwheat hull pillow to sleep on. Same basic premise. The idea is to have enough movement to add some conformity, but to be full enough to give proper support. Pretty comfortable, even though its a 'hard' pillow. Something most people don't realize is shape matters more than padding where comfort is concerned.

So, I think if there was a zipper on the side, so one could adjust how full it is, then its a pretty sound idea. Then the user could adjust the rest to their liking. Can't tell if there's one in the photos here, as not every side is photographed.

I prefer hard wrist-rests personally, but I think if I was looking for a rest for my mouse, I'd want something along these lines.

HHKB Pro 2       Pok3r

Offline linuxhermit

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 09:12:53 »
I'd like to have one of these. I think they look nice.
87UW45FC660C EW

Offline ssdt

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 13:13:38 »
Thanks everyone for replying!

The wrist rest you see in the picture is quite a prototype, as my sister in law already said that she would like to have a zipper on the next one, to guarantee that it would be washable. Another benefit of this would be the adjustable size of these things. Mine is soft enough to let my hands sink in a bit but stable enough to support my wrists properly. I will make you guys a little video thursday when I come home earlier and not all natural light is gone already. My sister (in law) is quite stunned that her little wrist rest actually gets attention from people with such high standards (quoted her here :D ).

So hold on just two more days and I will make a little production video.

Cheers!

Offline ssdt

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 17 September 2015, 09:23:58 »
Hey boys and girls,

as promised I made a short video for the project, it's linked in the first post, just click on the image and it will play embedded.
I hope you like it!

Cheers!

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 17 September 2015, 09:32:14 »
Can't say I'm 100% sold on the filler material. Just spitballing here, but could these wrist rests be made with memory foam?

Offline ssdt

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 17 September 2015, 09:36:37 »
Can't say I'm 100% sold on the filler material. Just spitballing here, but could these wrist rests be made with memory foam?

I don't see why not :)

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 17 September 2015, 09:51:39 »
Ok, love how flexible and open to ideas you are, this project definitely has some promise, no matter what it eventually ends up being.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 17 September 2015, 11:05:08 »
Registering interest, I actually think that this would suit me well. I would jump on board if you decided to go forward with a sale.

Offline Data

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 17 September 2015, 11:30:20 »

Oh, that's an interesting idea.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 17 September 2015, 13:17:02 »

If the 'next version' has a zipper, you could fill it with whatever you want.  :P

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 17 September 2015, 13:43:31 »

Consider me interested if that can be done.

Offline zzyjayfree

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 17 September 2015, 23:42:39 »
Your sister in-law sounds sweet :thumb:
OTD 360 Corsa w/ Nixdorf, OTD 356.2 DGE, Matrix 1.2, Matrix 2.0, Matrix Abel, Skog, Dolphin, EM7, Lynn Pad, Plank, LZ-RE, EqualZ, Orion v2, Octagon v2, Viper v2, Tank, Mira, Mira SE, Moon, Camp 225, Let's Split, HHKB, RealForce, Infinity Ergo, Cherry 3700, DolchPac, Nixdorf, Model M, Filcos.

Offline IwishIcanFLighT

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 04:19:24 »

Interested as well if you can. I'm looking for a portable and lightweight wristrest for my QuickFire TK.  :)
QuickFire TK || MX Brown || PuLSE SA keyset
WhiteFox || MX Green || Standard PBT keyset

Offline IwishIcanFLighT

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 07:04:54 »
Bump.

Any news so far?

Offline just66in

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 08:16:43 »
Would be interested in the upgraded version with the zipper just so I have options to changing the filling to suit my mood  :thumb:

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 22:00:08 »
Would be interested in the upgraded version with the zipper just so I have options to changing the filling to suit my mood  :thumb:

Same here but must have Black coloured Cotton material and be able to cover a full 104 keyboard.

Willing to give this a try for sure.

Offline rsadek

• raging keyboard monkey
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 09 October 2015, 00:41:36 »
I'm interested in a few. This would be great to have.
❤️Keeboardz
---------------

Offline mason

• have fun with her, ryan
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 09 October 2015, 09:54:02 »
I'm interested, want to get one for my hhkb  :)

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 09 October 2015, 20:42:23 »
I'm interested, I feel like this should work pretty well though you might need to fill it a bit more full from the way it looks.

:P

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline ssdt

« Reply #27 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 18:50:14 »
Hey everyone,

sorry for being quiet for a week, university started again and I am having another job.
My sister in law would be ready to start, so we think this whole process through and will upload a form to start a groupbuy with different options, where you can add a zipper, choose the filling (hopefully, we have something in our backpocket) and different colors as well as dimensions (this means you can either chose from the ones I will preset, like 60%, tkl and 104 AS WELL AS custom sizes you might want for ergodox or your mouses.)

So stay tuned, I will update as soon as possible!

Offline IwishIcanFLighT

« Reply #28 on: Sun, 11 October 2015, 14:41:01 »
Hey everyone,

sorry for being quiet for a week, university started again and I am having another job.
My sister in law would be ready to start, so we think this whole process through and will upload a form to start a groupbuy with different options, where you can add a zipper, choose the filling (hopefully, we have something in our backpocket) and different colors as well as dimensions (this means you can either chose from the ones I will preset, like 60%, tkl and 104 AS WELL AS custom sizes you might want for ergodox or your mouses.)

Great to here back from you again!

Would it be possible to know the weight of your model? I need to know if it fits my traveler's needs.  :D

Offline ssdt

« Reply #29 on: Sun, 11 October 2015, 15:57:30 »
Hey everyone,

Great to here back from you again!

Would it be possible to know the weight of your model? I need to know if it fits my traveler's needs.  :D
Hey,

my model weighs about 3 pounds, but that is because of the filling which is solid. I am working on lowering the weight. Have a look at the video I uploaded in the first post, maybe this helps you a little. :)

Offline Spaceman1200

« Reply #30 on: Sun, 11 October 2015, 18:49:57 »
Looks interesting, any idea on price point?