Author Topic: [GB] Round 1: CA66 Custom Keyboard Kit (CLOSED)  (Read 238891 times)

Offline mechengkeys

Got the board today, it looks great. My only stifle is the surface texture.. does anyone else feel that rough like anodized texture. Does this have to do with the matte-likeness of the silver case and possibly inherent to the process. Overall, it is not that smooth, and doesn't feel like other anodizing.

Offline dwarflemur

I'm not sure what people are doing to the ribbon cable, if you are careful it is very safe to take it out while soldering. You need to pull the black part back before pulling the cable out, that's what holds it. After than it just needs to be carefully pulled straight out, not up or to the side.
Camp C225 | Norbatouch | ALF X2 + X3 | Orange TKL | CA66 | Leaf 60 | a bunch of others

Offline eyedrop

We seriously need to find some right angled cable for this board.   :p

Offline dc_in_sf

• Old Bastard
I'm not sure what people are doing to the ribbon cable, if you are careful it is very safe to take it out while soldering. You need to pull the black part back before pulling the cable out, that's what holds it. After than it just needs to be carefully pulled straight out, not up or to the side.

I think my problem was that I thought the clip had to be fully removed to extract the ribbon cable, and doing so broke the legs of the clip. I'm guessing if I had attempted to pull the cable out with the clip partially open it may have worked fine.

Offline dc_in_sf

• Old Bastard
For folks on non windows platforms, the bootloader tool appears to be bootloadhid, which is available on github with instructions for building on *nix platforms. No idea if it would work (i'm actually on windows), but worth trying.

One caveat, is that the tool does not wait for the keyboard to be in bootloader mode like the utility does (at least when I tried the windows version), so you'd need a second keyboard to invoke it.

Offline 1corazon

I NEED HIT SO BADLY PLEASE ANY ONE EMAIL ME IF THIS IS AVAILABLE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Stagione

I just got mine today and overall I'm very pleased with the GB.

This is my first time buying a custom board with a brass plate, and I know brass is relatively soft, but mine came with some micro scratches on the front of the plate. I know it's impossible to have it completely free of blemishes and I won't see it once the caps are on, but is this normal?

Offline PlayKeyboardTW

• Shop
Finished my build out:

Show Image

Removed the ribbon cable between the daughter board the main pcb to get it out of the way while soldering, and damaged the retaining clip but it still works well enough (for the moment), would not recommend taking that risk to anyone else.

Waiting for a bunch of keycap sets to come in, so scavenged DSA Granite from my White Fox to put on it, unfortunately the WF uses costar stabilizers and I'd previously had to glue the inserts for the stabilizer into the backspace key, so had to sub in a blank DSA 2u key I had lying around in. It's actually a very dark blue color (hard to make that out in the photo) so doesn't look terrible in person.

Have to say I am really liking this board with DSA profile, may keep these keys on it if I can source a replacement backspace or somehow extract the inserts out of the existing backspace.

I think my problem was that I thought the clip had to be fully removed to extract the ribbon cable, and doing so broke the legs of the clip. I'm guessing if I had attempted to pull the cable out with the clip partially open it may have worked fine.

All you need to do is to pull the clip out a bit horizontally, then you will be able to remove FFC cable easily.
Didn't think that would cause some problems for you guys haha. :))

Got the board today, it looks great. My only stifle is the surface texture.. does anyone else feel that rough like anodized texture. Does this have to do with the matte-likeness of the silver case and possibly inherent to the process. Overall, it is not that smooth, and doesn't feel like other anodizing.

You were not wrong about your feeling. The difference with other colors was it's process before anodizing.
There was a step which caused more tiny holes on the surface, to make it whiter. As you can have a comparison with photos of R2 silver.
Sorry it does not match your taste, but we were quite satisfied about the result. ;)

I just got mine today and overall I'm very pleased with the GB.

This is my first time buying a custom board with a brass plate, and I know brass is relatively soft, but mine came with some micro scratches on the front of the plate. I know it's impossible to have it completely free of blemishes and I won't see it once the caps are on, but is this normal?

I believe that those tiny scratches are normal as we couldn't make it pure mirror depends on our producing method.
But it's still fine if you can post some photos for me to check them. ;D
« Last Edit: Wed, 30 May 2018, 22:10:07 by PlayKeyboardTW »

Offline dc_in_sf

• Old Bastard
All you need to do is to pull the clip out a bit horizontally, then you will be able to remove FFC cable easily.

Yep user error, just hadn't used that style of connector for a very very long time :-)

Forgot to say that I love the board, and appreciate the well run group buy  :thumb:  :thumb:

Offline bball2

Few images from my build:

Tealios + GMK Carbon

--

Anodization was perfect on mine; no blemishes or scuffs. Build / programming (based on this guide https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bYX7IenWyevWL4jLfa3NB626znSH6-aI/view) went really smoothly!

For anyone using the guide, here's what the rgb options are (from left to right):

• on/off
  • change mode
  • change color
  • change color - other direction
  • change color to more white
  • change color to less white
  • decrease brightness
  • increase brightness

Offline PlayKeyboardTW

• Shop

Yep user error, just hadn't used that style of connector for a very very long time :-)

Forgot to say that I love the board, and appreciate the well run group buy  :thumb:  :thumb:

Thanks mate. Glad you enjoy it. :thumb:

Few images from my build:

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Tealios + GMK Carbon

--

Anodization was perfect on mine; no blemishes or scuffs. Build / programming (based on this guide https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bYX7IenWyevWL4jLfa3NB626znSH6-aI/view) went really smoothly!

For anyone using the guide, here's what the rgb options are (from left to right):

• on/off
  • change mode
  • change color
  • change color - other direction
  • change color to more white
  • change color to less white
  • decrease brightness
  • increase brightness

The commercial build! :eek:
Thanks for posting the RGB guide. :thumb:

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
I used a different usb cable and everything is working now. I was getting worried.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

VE.A 67g Zealios | GH60 MX Clears |

Offline Mekuno

Any extras that will be sold soon after everything is shipped? I know it is a long shot but I thought I might ask.   :-[

Offline kitty

Any extras that will be sold soon after everything is shipped? I know it is a long shot but I thought I might ask.   :-[

^ ditto, would love to get an extra if there is any :O

Offline Stagione

I believe that those tiny scratches are normal as we couldn't make it pure mirror depends on our producing method.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I figured it wouldn't be reasonable to expect a perfect mirror finish. Just wanted to make sure it's normal

I also put on Carbon on mine, but SA instead of GMK  :p

Also attached some pictures of the little scratches but it's just me being picky

Offline PlayKeyboardTW

• Shop
I used a different usb cable and everything is working now. I was getting worried.

Awesome!

Might go for another GB, so don't worry about extras. ;)

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I figured it wouldn't be reasonable to expect a perfect mirror finish. Just wanted to make sure it's normal

Also attached some pictures of the little scratches but it's just me being picky

That's a bit more than I expected, but still normal. :confused:
Will try to do it better in the future.

I myself prefer SA on CA66 to other profiles. Dazzling! :cool:

Offline watchy0ubac

Would definitely be interested if there's another GB happening. Just want to know when to save some cash!

Offline cyyz

Really interested in another groupbuy.

Offline Kerasan

Really interested in another groupbuy.

me too...

KMK Labs

Offline foxlive

• The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog
build finish! I will try to take some pics too.
I manage to flash using to windows tools (forced to create a bootcamp on my mac for this as a virtual box did not work :( !)

The little usb ribbon inside go on and off very easily, but BE careful, I broke mine after maybe 10 on/off. It look fine on the outside but does not work, took the one from my spare pcb. I will by some spare from aliexpress (pretty cheap, awm 20624 80c 8pins connector).

Offline Lormania

I would also be in for another group buy! Missed out on this one and I neeeeeeeeed that purple 🙃☺

Offline clickityClackity

Recorded my build, feel free to check it out! Skip to the end to see the finished product.

Offline PlayKeyboardTW

• Shop
build finish! I will try to take some pics too.
I manage to flash using to windows tools (forced to create a bootcamp on my mac for this as a virtual box did not work :( !)

The little usb ribbon inside go on and off very easily, but BE careful, I broke mine after maybe 10 on/off. It look fine on the outside but does not work, took the one from my spare pcb. I will by some spare from aliexpress (pretty cheap, awm 20624 80c 8pins connector).

Yeah be careful. It's not that weak though if you treat it right.

Recorded my build, feel free to check it out! Skip to the end to see the finished product.

Looks nice with GMK solarized. :cool:
Gonna show mine purple case with GMK Hyperfuse Original later. :p

Offline TheIronCore

I also put on Carbon on mine, but SA instead of GMK 

That's very minor imo. Polished brass is near impossible to keep clean/fully polished. You could always polish it up again.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Hello? Yes, this is dog

Offline TestostoBoost

Awesome!

I received one of my PCBs with an RGB light that had fallen off of the board. Would you happen to have any replacement PCBs available? Everything else I received completely exceeded my expectations. Great work!

Offline Brammm87

I tested my PCB today, everything seems to be registering on keyboardtester.com, but one key. I noticed that the top right key changes the lighting mode, but the one below doesn't seem to register or do anything. What's it's default function?
pls gief bbv2

Offline JubJubCity

I tested my PCB today, everything seems to be registering on keyboardtester.com, but one key. I noticed that the top right key changes the lighting mode, but the one below doesn't seem to register or do anything. What's it's default function?
It does control some aspect of RGB just not sure which mode. I at first thought the same thing until i started testing some more with the key.

Offline online

sad, received two pcbs both with problems :'(
All I can do right now is to look at the empty shell :-\ :-\ :-\
« Last Edit: Thu, 31 May 2018, 15:35:44 by online »

Offline KeLorean

man, i keep looking at that badge, and i want to resin cast a different one. what should i make???? IBM???
Click it OR Ticket!

Offline clickityClackity

Awesome!

I received one of my PCBs with an RGB light that had fallen off of the board. Would you happen to have any replacement PCBs available? Everything else I received completely exceeded my expectations. Great work!
Should be easy to solder it back on, no?

Offline Mekuno

Awesome!

Now that you have all these people interested in another GB, it should happen again soon, right?  :p

Offline KeLorean

build question: which side of LED pads are + /-  ?
Click it OR Ticket!

Offline TestostoBoost

Awesome!

If I could find it hahaha. I probably should have specified that one was just missing. Awesome build video by the way!

Offline PlayKeyboardTW

• Shop

That's very minor imo. Polished brass is near impossible to keep clean/fully polished. You could always polish it up again.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

It's PVD so you may not want to polish it haha.

sad, received two pcbs both with problems :'(
All I can do right now is to look at the empty shell :-\ :-\ :-\

Yeah that was really unexpected. :confused:

that you have all these people interested in another GB, it should happen again soon, right?  :p

Will make another IC after all orders are done completely.

build question: which side of LED pads are + /-  ?

I forgot. You can turn on backlight to test them.

If I could find it hahaha. I probably should have specified that one was just missing. Awesome build video by the way!

Would be thankful if you can find one to repair. It's a WS2812 RGB led. ;D

Offline PlayKeyboardTW

• Shop
Since my GMK Hyperfuse Original arrived last week. I think it's time to make a change after SA Grand Budapest. :cool:
(The truth is that it's been returned to my friend :-X)
With a Hyperfuse colorway bull by Artkey.

196835-0196837-1196839-2
196841-3196843-4196845-5
« Last Edit: Thu, 31 May 2018, 21:36:12 by PlayKeyboardTW »

Offline clickityClackity

Awesome!

Thanks! If you want a couple replacement RGB lights, PM me. If you cover shipping I can send em to you.

Offline clickityClackity

Ignore
« Last Edit: Thu, 31 May 2018, 22:05:05 by clickityClackity »

Offline clickityClackity

Since my GMK Hyperfuse Original arrived last week. I think it's time to make a change after SA Grand Budapest. :cool:

(Attachment Link) (Attachment Link) (Attachment Link)
Great ****ing color combo!

Offline KeLorean

done building mine. no problems at all. scrounged these caps out of a junk drawer and WOW! one man’s junk is the same man’s treasure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Click it OR Ticket!

Offline Stagione

Wow, very nice indeed  :eek:

Offline greygoo

Hi, I just built my keyboard and flashed the hex. But nothing working.. in device manager, it is shown as unknown USB device(device descriptor request failed)..When it get into bootloader, it is shown as USB input device..

Offline PlayKeyboardTW

• Shop

Great ****ing color combo!

;D

done building mine. no problems at all. scrounged these caps out of a junk drawer and WOW! one man’s junk is the same man’s treasure.
Show Image

Not bad actually!

Hi, I just built my keyboard and flashed the hex. But nothing working.. in device manager, it is shown as unknown USB device(device descriptor request failed)..When it get into bootloader, it is shown as USB input device..

Did you test the PCB function before building it?
Try to make up another one and flash again. Remember to wait for few seconds before you remove the cable after flashing, and also a few seconds later before replugging.

Offline KeLorean

hey all. i spoke to mech merlin bc i couldnt toggle off my LED backlighting. i guess this issue is known in this thread, but i had not educated myself with this until after i had soldered in all my LEDs. well, he told me that i can still modify the rules.mk file and set backlighting _enabled to No. remake my make file and reflash my board. now, bc this is a minor pain in the ass, i think im gonna leave these LEDs off for all eternity and just right them off. but man she is beautiful, so no complaints here.

Click it OR Ticket!

Offline PlayKeyboardTW

• Shop
hey all. i spoke to mech merlin bc i couldnt toggle off my LED backlighting. i guess this issue is known in this thread, but i had not educated myself with this until after i had soldered in all my LEDs. well, he told me that i can still modify the rules.mk file and set backlighting _enabled to No. remake my make file and reflash my board. now, bc this is a minor pain in the ass, i think im gonna leave these LEDs off for all eternity and just right them off. but man she is beautiful, so no complaints here.
Show Image

Yeah I forgot to note this in main post. My bad.
Switch leds are not working correctly if you are using QMK Configurator to compile at the moment.
We'll fix it but it's gonna take a moment. Since PCB maker is facing his own matters right now.

Thanks for letting people know it anyway. :thumb:

Offline Shell058

• sheep sheep sheep
196858-0

Had to cover it in a random mix of caps until Laser and Taro arrive, but this board is gorgeous!

Offline KeLorean

ohh! one more helpful build tip if u want forever backlit LEDs...when looking at the pcb switch side up, all the LED positive side was on the right...at least for hhkb layout with split spacebar. i did not try the winkeyless or full size spacebar. hope this helps.

Click it OR Ticket!

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
Here is how mine ended up:

VE.A 67g Zealios | GH60 MX Clears |

Offline breckstar

Potato but :)

Offline jlboi69

Here's mine. Managed to get QMK working properly.
196903-0

Offline ptiede

Here's mine. Managed to get QMK working properly.
(Attachment Link)
How did you manage to flash it using qmk?