Author Topic: Expensive Pasta  (Read 3977 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Expensive Pasta
« on: Sat, 28 January 2023, 18:51:16 »
According to the internet,  Expensive pasta should

-use coarse ground semolina wheat instead of the wheat flour

-have a rough surface texture (indicative of metal die extrusion instead of teflon die)

epic p00r and epic curious, Tp4 decided to buy a few boxes of the store-offbrand, and a few staples like barilla.   Price difference ~50 cents per pound

The expensive pasta lists semolina, then duram wheat flour

The off brand just lists, semolina.

After intensely mo1esting the pasta,  both have a rough outer surface.

Both produce Aldente texture when cooked.

Is internet pasta expert Bullsh##... ??

295724-0

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
Re: Expensive Pasta
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 28 January 2023, 20:02:01 »
Expensive pasta makes a difference. Switched to Raos recently and never went back. I'm poor but when it turns a bowl of butter and pasta into a decent meal on a weeknight then yeah, I can **** with it.
One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Seven, Eight, Nine, Ten, Eleven, Twelve, Thirteen, Fourteen, Fifteen, Sixteen, Seventeen, Eighteen, Nineteen, Twenty... Yeah that seems about right.
"Ask your mother how good I can use more than two fingers." - Caesar, 2023

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 28 January 2023, 20:09:23 »
what better characteristic are you able to extract from the expensive vs budget ?

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 28 January 2023, 20:48:14 »
Three things
- Better taste
- Better texture
- and it plays with sauces better.
First two are self explanatory, but the last one is a bit complicated.
Because of the way it's cut it absorbs the sauce you put it in, and it really gets the flavors into the pasta itself, and leads to less watery pasta. (Or if you're using butter, it catches the butter amazingly and makes it less "oily")
One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Seven, Eight, Nine, Ten, Eleven, Twelve, Thirteen, Fourteen, Fifteen, Sixteen, Seventeen, Eighteen, Nineteen, Twenty... Yeah that seems about right.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 29 January 2023, 05:02:27 »
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 29 January 2023, 09:23:17 »
"It turns out that for a decade, whenever Trump wanted to get a loan, or make a deal, he would inflate the value of his real estate. For instance, suggesting that his 11,000-square foot penthouse was a 30,000-square foot penthouse.
And the attorney general of New York knew that Trump's property values were inflated because when it came time to pay taxes, Trump undervalued the very same properties.
It was all part of a very sophisticated real estate practice known as “lying.”
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 29 January 2023, 11:46:40 »
a bowl of butter and pasta
wat
Buttered pasta is exactly what it sounds like, but it's pretty good if you do it right. Kinda a last minute dinner/lunch. Perfect for after you get off a shift at 11 PM and have literally no other option.

wat

Your kind of meal - no vegetables !

Don't worry, I'd usually wash it down with an entire jar of olives, 1 or 2 cucumbers, or a half bag of carrots.
« Last Edit: Sun, 29 January 2023, 11:48:40 by CaesarAZealad »

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 29 January 2023, 18:01:30 »

wat

Your kind of meal - no vegetables !
0% meat D; . That means there are no ingredients, where are they?!

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 29 January 2023, 21:14:03 »
I mean if you want meat you could also make carbonara, it takes like 10 extra minutes and is just a bit of pecorino romano, an egg, and pancetta

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 30 January 2023, 02:37:19 »
Pasta with butter. That's it? How do you make it - just boil pasta, then add butter to melt in and serve?

Fact is, in UK recently, pasta prices went up (like everything else) by 60%, so all cheap crap pasta like asda or tesco brand, now is like all good high quality ones.
« Last Edit: Mon, 30 January 2023, 02:39:06 by phinix »
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 30 January 2023, 03:59:43 »
I mean if you want meat you could also make carbonara, it takes like 10 extra minutes and is just a bit of pecorino romano, an egg, and pancetta
I make a decent carbonara, if I do say so myself. I use two different types of meat; guanciale and pancetta. Also upped the egg count and upgraded the cheese content a bit. It's not cheap to make it in this way though.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 30 January 2023, 04:48:42 »
wat
I get reminded of "Honey Booboo".... *shudder*

I make a decent carbonara, if I do say so myself. I use two different types of meat; guanciale and pancetta. Also upped the egg count and upgraded the cheese content a bit. It's not cheap to make it in this way though.
Kudos! Cooking proper Carbonara is an art. I've only succeeded once, and failed multiple times... (Ovo-Lacto-Vegetarian versions with fake pork, that is) When making the real deal, you don't add butter or oil: the pork's rind melts and everything fries in that. Then you heat the egg gently to thicken the sauce - it must not scramble.

Restaurants over here tend to cheat by using cream, and then adding a raw egg yolk on top  ....  :rolleyes:

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 30 January 2023, 09:33:01 »

I make a decent carbonara, if I do say so myself.

Cooking proper Carbonara is an art.

I haven't done this in years, but you make me hungry for it. Now that the price of eggs has tripled, I suppose that it is even more special.
"It turns out that for a decade, whenever Trump wanted to get a loan, or make a deal, he would inflate the value of his real estate. For instance, suggesting that his 11,000-square foot penthouse was a 30,000-square foot penthouse.
And the attorney general of New York knew that Trump's property values were inflated because when it came time to pay taxes, Trump undervalued the very same properties.
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 30 January 2023, 10:09:08 »
Kudos! Cooking proper Carbonara is an art. I've only succeeded once, and failed multiple times... (Ovo-Lacto-Vegetarian versions with fake pork, that is) When making the real deal, you don't add butter or oil: the pork's rind melts and everything fries in that. Then you heat the egg gently to thicken the sauce - it must not scramble.

Restaurants over here tend to cheat by using cream, and then adding a raw egg yolk on top  ....  :rolleyes:
Yeah, I don't use oil or butter or cream. And traditionally you only use guanciale, but I found that that made the dish rather overpowering, and not really "meaty" enough, so I use 1:2 guanciale and pancetta to balance the flavours and textures. I also considerably up the egg and cheese count. I dislike cooking side dishes, so one plate of my carbonara is designed to fill you right up.

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 30 January 2023, 15:02:07 »
Pasta with butter. That's it? How do you make it - just boil pasta, then add butter to melt in and serve?

Fact is, in UK recently, pasta prices went up (like everything else) by 60%, so all cheap crap pasta like asda or tesco brand, now is like all good high quality ones.
Boil pasta, add salt to taste. Boil in a bit less water than you usually would. Cook normally but before straining take 1/4th a cup (60ml) of the pasta water and set it aside. Strain and re add to the pan with a little bit of butter. Add the pasta water and stir around until the pasta is coated in a nice, buttery sauce. Since you already added salt you shouldn't need to add more, but if you're dying for a heart attack like me you can add and extra sprinkle.

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 30 January 2023, 15:03:48 »

Yeah, I don't use oil or butter or cream. And traditionally you only use guanciale, but I found that that made the dish rather overpowering, and not really "meaty" enough, so I use 1:2 guanciale and pancetta to balance the flavours and textures. I also considerably up the egg and cheese count. I dislike cooking side dishes, so one plate of my carbonara is designed to fill you right up.
God I wish I could go to the north end for some carbonara now. :Drool:

Offline phinix

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 30 January 2023, 16:02:39 »

Boil pasta, add salt to taste. Boil in a bit less water than you usually would. Cook normally but before straining take 1/4th a cup (60ml) of the pasta water and set it aside. Strain and re add to the pan with a little bit of butter. Add the pasta water and stir around until the pasta is coated in a nice, buttery sauce. Since you already added salt you shouldn't need to add more, but if you're dying for a heart attack like me you can add and extra sprinkle.

Sounds good! :)
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 30 January 2023, 17:33:43 »

I make a decent carbonara, if I do say so myself.

Cooking proper Carbonara is an art.

Holy mackerel! I just finished my dinner, I made it tonight. I had forgotten how RICH it is and I seldom have pasta-heavy meals like this any more anyway.

I feel like TP4 after he eats a couple of kilos of Oreos.
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline CyCo

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 15 February 2023, 04:20:02 »
Use the generic Blue brand and get any local brand, its pretty night and day.
The chewiness + texture, big difference.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 15 February 2023, 15:16:25 »
Cheap dry pasta VS expensive dry pasta is 100% a waste of $$ - The only thing that matters is the type of flour it's made with changes texture and firmness.
Dry is all the same. Unless you are getting the absolute cheapest $1 egg noodles or macaroni that's like 9 years old and turning white.

Now if you are buying FRESH pasta, well that's the way to go! Get the refrigerated stuff, then you'll taste the difference.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 15 February 2023, 16:17:41 »
Cheap dry pasta VS expensive dry pasta is 100% a waste of $$ - The only thing that matters is the type of flour it's made with changes texture and firmness.
Dry is all the same. Unless you are getting the absolute cheapest $1 egg noodles or macaroni that's like 9 years old and turning white.

Now if you are buying FRESH pasta, well that's the way to go! Get the refrigerated stuff, then you'll taste the difference.

is it just me or does anyone else not like the way egg noodle smells.  like herbal medicine.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 15 February 2023, 16:37:26 »
nah, I hate egg noodles too. only use is for stroganoff or kugel imo

Offline CyCo

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 15 February 2023, 20:31:15 »
Try indian hakka noodles. Its closer to ramen noodles, dried. But chewiness of egg noodles. Deeelish.

Offline phinix

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 17 February 2023, 05:52:58 »

is it just me or does anyone else not like the way egg noodle smells.  like herbal medicine.

I dont know what you mean, but in Polish cuisine we eat egg noodles and it tastes and smells great.

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 17 February 2023, 21:39:25 »
Just made carbonara with expensive pasta, was delicious even if I completely scrambled the eggs lol.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #26 on: Sun, 19 February 2023, 08:43:49 »
Just made carbonara with expensive pasta, was delicious even if I completely scrambled the eggs lol.
Your pan was too hot and you probably didn't add enough pasta water to the sauce.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #27 on: Sun, 19 February 2023, 09:17:40 »

Your pan was too hot

I often forget how much cooking can continue after you turn off the heat, especially if your cookware is heavy.
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
« Reply #28 on: Sun, 19 February 2023, 12:42:57 »
Yeah, it was definitely the heat. Still though, that night I went to bed with a stomach full of spaghetti, completely content :D