Author Topic: Video game music  (Read 15543 times)

Offline Jerri

Video game music
« Reply #50 on: Fri, 04 February 2011, 07:11:47 »
Quote from: cometbus;289405
I actually spent a good 20 minutes trying to figure out how it works with BbCode, I feel your pain. :P

To embed your first video the code would be:

[ youtube ]wYBtwwzd_lg[ /youtube] (without the spaces inside the brackets.)

I loved Descent! I haven't played that in ages though, now I might have to fire up DosBox...

Thanks, i'll try that next time.
Well, i recorded the Descent Music with my Roland SC-55 II, well a part of it. Spent three hours to do that. Theme, Briefing, Level 1, Level 2, Level 3, Level 4 and Credits. Maybe i'll upload them today evening :).
I only can record until Level 7, because i only got the Shareware, i don't have the retail anymore.
You can take the man out of the 80's, but you can't take the 80's out of the man.

Offline Jerri

Video game music
« Reply #51 on: Fri, 04 February 2011, 15:52:05 »
So here it is, uploaded it. Recorded as "hi-fi" as i could with a preamp to get Line level without any distortion, but yeah youtube screwed the quality.
Hope some of you will enjoy that! Afaik the Midis were composed on a SC-55, so it all sounds well, no instruments are "off".

Jerri

Edit: Yay, the code worked :). If someone wants for example a title as MP3, just leave a PM, i can send it via mail!
You can take the man out of the 80's, but you can't take the 80's out of the man.

Offline kill will

• http://www.jerseyshoredailies.com
Video game music
« Reply #52 on: Fri, 04 February 2011, 16:00:05 »
ya man way to geek it up !
I <3 BS

Offline HaaTa

• Master Kiibohd Hunter
  • Kiibohds!
    • http://kiibohd.com
Video game music
« Reply #53 on: Fri, 04 February 2011, 16:06:16 »
Damn, I have a copy of Descent somewhere. Not with me atm though...
Kiibohd

ALWAYS looking for cool and interesting switches
I take requests for making keyboard converters (i.e. *old keyboard* to USB).

Offline RoboKrikit

Video game music
« Reply #54 on: Fri, 04 February 2011, 17:59:24 »
Awesome, nice job.  I used to have a different Descent midi theme on each page of my first website (shush).  'Course it sounded entirely different on a Sound Blaster.
Lovely day for a GUINNESS

Offline kill will

• http://www.jerseyshoredailies.com
Video game music
« Reply #55 on: Fri, 04 February 2011, 19:10:35 »
ive never played or even heard of descent but these midis make me want to do awesome things haha
I <3 BS

Offline muchadoaboutnothing

Video game music
« Reply #56 on: Fri, 04 February 2011, 22:50:54 »
Ocarina of Time had some excellent music in my opinion. One of my favorite games of all time though, so it might be nostalgia.

Picture related to video games but disturbing:

Offline Jerri

Video game music
« Reply #57 on: Sat, 05 February 2011, 04:05:04 »
Quote from: ripster;289924
Awesome job dude.  On my Sennheisers this sounds GREAT!
Show Image

Yay, i'm Geek Girl approved :high5: .

I'm glad that you all like it. It wasn't hard at all, more like play descent and hit the Record button on audacity. Of course finding the right input and output gain, checking the levels, check the recording on my hifi stereo took a bit of time.
Believe it or not, the "Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth" is an emulation of the Roland SC-55 i used. Ofcourse the Microsoft Synth has the same "vibe/timbre", but the samples are much shorter and the effects are ignored.
Anyways, here are the last two ones of the Descent Shareware... i have all descent midis here, but they sound a bit different, if i would play them on Winamp.
When i was a kid my favorites were level 2 and 3!

Maybe i'll do the Descent II Soundtrack (only 4 levels were made in Midi music) in a few days. I think on those two Soundtracks the SC-55 really shines.

Offline RoboKrikit

Video game music
« Reply #58 on: Sat, 05 February 2011, 04:37:13 »
Sweet, thanks for putting those up.

Listening to Gate of Thunder soundtrack.

Offline db_Iodine

Video game music
« Reply #59 on: Sat, 05 February 2011, 05:20:43 »
Nobuo Uematsu rocks.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Ekaros

Video game music
« Reply #60 on: Sat, 05 February 2011, 05:21:48 »

Hmm, this one?

Generaly AO was hailed for it's musics... I think they used same type of tech than LucArts in MI2
« Last Edit: Sat, 05 February 2011, 05:24:05 by Ekaros »
So I should add something useless here yes? Ok, ok...
Filco 105-key NKRO MX Browns Sw/Fi-layout|IBM Model M 1394545 Lexmark 102-key Finnish-layout 1994-03-22|Cherry G80-3000LQCDE-2 with MX CLEAR
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dell AT102W(105-key SF) (Black ALPS)|Steelseries Steelkeys 6G(MX Black) ISO-FI-layout|Cherry G84-4400 G84-4700 Cherry MLs

Offline Jerri

Video game music
« Reply #61 on: Sun, 06 February 2011, 07:21:06 »
And here's the Descent II Soundtrack! I hope you like that, too!
Enjoy... and prepare for Descent!

Jerri
PS: Maybe i'll upload the mp3s in a zip file or something.

Offline cometbus

Video game music
« Reply #62 on: Sun, 06 February 2011, 14:04:23 »
I love the Descent music Jerri, thanks for your work getting those up!

Lately I've been reminded of a guy, lonlonjp that arranges his own versions of a lot of popular songs, mostly video-game related, to play on guitar. IMO, one of his most impressive videos was his version of "Time's Scar," which was originally written to be performed by a full orchestra. Here is the original:

And Lonlonjp's version, it's roughly around 1:10 that I started to be blown away:

Had to link this as well for good measure:

What I love is this guy is ridiculously nice, and just an average office worker, that happens to be extremely talented, and does these videos and arrangements for his own and others' enjoyment.

Offline Jerri

Video game music
« Reply #63 on: Mon, 07 February 2011, 07:46:00 »
Thanks man! I would have done that for a long time. Because sometimes it could be very useful for people, who search for Midi Synthesizers!
When i bought the Roland i thought, well lets look on youtube and hear some examples, but there weren't any! You get the idea, what i mean.
And i think the SC-55 really shines on descent. Like the MT-32 shines really on Monkey Island!

Anyways, if somebody likes them really much, here is the Download link of the MP3s (much better quality than youtube, especially the highs!):
click here for Download!
The file is ~120megs, the password is midigeek

Yeah i know it's more about the vgmusic itself, but now i've done that, what i were to lazy for ;) .
Have fun!

Offline RoboKrikit

Video game music
« Reply #64 on: Wed, 09 February 2011, 19:37:09 »
Laid back Uematsu.

Offline FireSlash

Video game music
« Reply #65 on: Wed, 09 February 2011, 20:24:20 »
One of my favorite TG16 tracks:

Also surprised nobody has generally linked http://ocremix.org yet... as a community member there I'm somewhat obligated to inform you how awesome OCR is. :P

Offline RoboKrikit

Video game music
« Reply #66 on: Wed, 09 February 2011, 21:24:02 »
Thanks for reminding me of Devil's Crush, haven't thought of that in a while.  Unfortunately my PCE/CDROM˛ power supply died a couple weeks ago; gotta find another one. :[

Quote from: FireSlash;292622
Also surprised nobody has generally linked http://ocremix.org yet... as a community member there I'm somewhat obligated to inform you how awesome OCR is. :P

I linked it on page 2!  OCR is sweet.

Offline shortround

• Scoot jockey, nomad trash.
Video game music
« Reply #67 on: Sun, 13 February 2011, 23:14:08 »
Ninja Gaiden mine shaft.

Offline Metalix

Video game music
« Reply #68 on: Mon, 14 February 2011, 04:53:21 »
I played to this game sooo much back in the old days.. not only it is a great game but some soundtracks are just awesome to listen like this one:

Donkey kong "Stickerbush symphony"
The leopold FC200RT Brown