Author Topic: Apple lle color display  (Read 1959 times)

Offline bettablue

• Geeks with a Grudge. Gotta Love'em
    • All Things DOS
Apple lle color display
« on: Sun, 03 April 2011, 07:58:29 »
So, I have a nice Apple lle with a monochrome display.  The lle comes with a color video controller preinstalled but for some strange reason, they decided to ship the computers with a green monochromatic display.  I want color.  Does anyone have a line on one I could purchase?  Working ones only please.

I'm also looking for a super cerial card and memory upgrades.  

TIA.
Vintage Computer user, and collector, specializing in the IBM 5150 Personal Computer, the World\'s first REAL PC!
Keyboards - IBM Model M X 2, IBM AT X 2, IBM KB8923, Apple IIe, and Mac SE boards. 

-----------------IBM Think!---------------------

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
Apple lle color display
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 03 April 2011, 16:52:43 »
A cheaper (or at least smaller) option may involve buying a scan-converter box (takes in the Apple video format, outputs VGA).  You may also be able to plumb it to composite in on a recent TV.

Possibly of interest:

http://www.applefritter.com/node/2295

I found you could get away rigging a fair number of the old consoles and home computers to the composite-in on a TV tuner card too, but often recent cards do a lot of heavy lifting aimed at simplifying recording the signal, which injects nasty games.  Not much fun when the picture trails the action by 3 seconds!
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline bettablue

• Geeks with a Grudge. Gotta Love'em
    • All Things DOS
Apple lle color display
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 04 April 2011, 10:46:37 »
Quote from: Hak Foo;323920
A cheaper (or at least smaller) option may involve buying a scan-converter box (takes in the Apple video format, outputs VGA).  You may also be able to plumb it to composite in on a recent TV.

Possibly of interest:

http://www.applefritter.com/node/2295

I found you could get away rigging a fair number of the old consoles and home computers to the composite-in on a TV tuner card too, but often recent cards do a lot of heavy lifting aimed at simplifying recording the signal, which injects nasty games.  Not much fun when the picture trails the action by 3 seconds!
Hmm.  That sounds interesting.  I'll certainly think about that as an option.  However, if at possible, I want to stay with an original Apple display made for the Apple ll.  I am currently using an old TV for now, and it's working fine.
Vintage Computer user, and collector, specializing in the IBM 5150 Personal Computer, the World\'s first REAL PC!
Keyboards - IBM Model M X 2, IBM AT X 2, IBM KB8923, Apple IIe, and Mac SE boards. 

-----------------IBM Think!---------------------

Offline kps

Apple lle color display
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 04 April 2011, 11:27:39 »
Unless you have the optional digital RGB card, you want the AppleColor Composite Monitor IIe. Home users generally used televisions, though.

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
Apple lle color display
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 04 April 2011, 21:39:21 »
IMO, green-and-black is right.  I learned programming on an IIe with a black-and-green monitor.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.