Author Topic: troubleshooting a failed NIC card  (Read 4423 times)

Offline kektr0city

troubleshooting a failed NIC card
« on: Mon, 04 April 2011, 20:59:41 »
i think i have a failed nic card and i'm trying to figure out what went wrong but i seem to be unable to diagnose the problem.  i'm running windows xp and the nic controller in question is a Marvel Yukon miniport (the built in ethernet controller on a gigabyte 965p-ds3 motherboard.

the problem is as follows.  my power went out during a severe storm.  i have my rig on a solid surge protector.  the power comes back on and everything boots up fine.  the thing is, right when i booted my puter up, i was able to browse the web and connect to a vent server fine.  then i come back from eating dinner and there is a warning in the sys tray saying local area connection is unplugged.

i've tested the router and port (fine), the cord (fine), internet connectivity (obviously fine), and reinstalled the drivers for the hardware in question.  the pc is recognizing that the hardware is operational and installed, but no mater how hard i try i can't seem to figure out why it keeps refusing to recognize a cord is plugged in.  i've reached the limit of my knowledge so i'm asking here, anyone have any idea wtf is going on?  did the hardware fry?  is the plug itself burnt?  is there anyway to tell if any piece of the hardware has failed?

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 05 April 2011, 08:43:11 »
Possibly the PHY (or some clamping diodes) was damaged by overvoltage and later gave up the ghost completely.

You say the PC is on a surge protector - but the network has no such protector? Not good.

In facilities that need to operate through lightning hits, like radio transmitters, commonly ALL the cables for the equipment to be protected are run through a massive grounded metal plate. You also want to avoid having ground loops in the wiring, as significant voltages could be induced in them.
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline kektr0city

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 05 April 2011, 09:41:18 »
the router and modems are both on a surge protector as well.  i've tested the router and the cable and everything is working.  the issue seems to be with the port on my pc.  i'm not getting a status or online light on the port at all.
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 April 2011, 10:09:25 by kektr0city »

Offline Lpb45

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 05 April 2011, 11:01:03 »
Quote from: kektr0city;324951
the router and modems are both on a surge protector as well.  i've tested the router and the cable and everything is working.  the issue seems to be with the port on my pc.  i'm not getting a status or online light on the port at all.

Open your case up and smell the port
Topre - 86U   |   Filco - Tenkeyless Linear Red
Filco - Tenkeyless Blue       |   Filco - Fullsize Non NKRO Blue (Work)

Offline kektr0city

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 05 April 2011, 11:12:29 »
ok problem solved.  looks like the port on my pc has had one too many power surges (bad house wiring ftw!).  20$ solution - buy a new ethernet card.  done and done.

edit:  ripster, your pics made me laugh while i was having a minor panic attacking thinking part of my mobo was fried.  thanks dude.

Offline westom

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 05 April 2011, 19:31:16 »
Quote from: kektr0city;325011
ok problem solved.  looks like the port on my pc has had one too many power surges (bad house wiring ftw!).  

You are not done yet.   Fix the reason for your failure.  Those mythical protectors did exactly what the manufacturer claims it would do.  You spend how much to enrich them and still had no protection?  Protection even from direct lightning strikes costs about $1 per protected appliance.

Three indicators of ineffective protection.  1) Protector is too close to electronics.  2) Protector is too far from earth ground.  3) You had damage.  Each one by itself says protection does not exist.  Apparently your setup meets all three.

An NIC typically withstands about 2000 volts without damage.  That should give you some idea of how pathetic your existing protection is.  Household wiring is completely irrelevant; does not explain surge damage.  Learn from the event.

Offline Lpb45

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 05 April 2011, 20:12:45 »
Quote from: westom;325327
You are not done yet.   Fix the reason for your failure.  Those mythical protectors did exactly what the manufacturer claims it would do.  You spend how much to enrich them and still had no protection?  Protection even from direct lightning strikes costs about $1 per protected appliance.

Three indicators of ineffective protection.  1) Protector is too close to electronics.  2) Protector is too far from earth ground.  3) You had damage.  Each one by itself says protection does not exist.  Apparently your setup meets all three.

An NIC typically withstands about 2000 volts without damage.  That should give you some idea of how pathetic your existing protection is.  Household wiring is completely irrelevant; does not explain surge damage.  Learn from the event.

Welcome to Geekhack!

No need to grandstand, he came looking for help not to be scolded by mommy.
Topre - 86U   |   Filco - Tenkeyless Linear Red
Filco - Tenkeyless Blue       |   Filco - Fullsize Non NKRO Blue (Work)