Author Topic: Analog VOM  (Read 3569 times)

Offline bettablue

• Geeks with a Grudge. Gotta Love'em
    • All Things DOS
Analog VOM
« on: Sat, 16 April 2011, 11:04:17 »
I am currently trying to get a good decent analog VOM.  Mine finally died after 30 years of service and I miss it already.  It was my first VOM.  I bought it while working at Radio Shack beck in 1978 and at the time it was the best one Radio Shack sold.  Those old Micronta meters were certainly the best!  I ended up sending it to a recycler last week because there just arent any parts available for these any longer.  I was looking on line and found a few meters I really like, but damn, those things are expensive.  There is a Simpson a guy has locally that I'm looking at.  He is asking me to make an offer.  The bad part is that I hate to offer him what I can afford.  I really don't want to insult the guy.  The average price on the Simpsons is something like $335.00!

Are there any other brands out there I can look at that would handle a full range of functionality in a price range around $50.00 or so?  I will even accept a good used one, but I really need something kind of in the upper range of functions and durability.  I would also love to get a replacement for the Micronta.  I believe the model number was 22-191.  Does any one have a line on where to look?  I have already tried E-Bay and Amazon.com.  I just can't afford the prices for anything of any real quality any more...
Vintage Computer user, and collector, specializing in the IBM 5150 Personal Computer, the World\'s first REAL PC!
Keyboards - IBM Model M X 2, IBM AT X 2, IBM KB8923, Apple IIe, and Mac SE boards. 

-----------------IBM Think!---------------------

Offline The Solutor

Analog VOM
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 16 April 2011, 12:18:57 »
Nothing is like a I.C.E when speaking about analog multimeters.

The now out of production Microtest 80 is just a marvel, their bigger brothers 680G and 680R are even better but less portable.

I don't know if they are easy to find in the US but a look at ebay can help, even a 30 years old one is usually live and kicking.
The problem with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are true  (Abraham Lincoln)

Offline The Solutor

Analog VOM
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 16 April 2011, 12:34:35 »
Quote from: ripster;332202
Maybe it's a Fluke but I went Digital long ago.

Flukes are great when you need a digital MM, but often a good analog one is unbeatable.

Just like PS2 v.s. USB.

Newer is not always better.
The problem with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are true  (Abraham Lincoln)

Offline 8_INCH_FLOPPY

Analog VOM
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 16 April 2011, 13:17:40 »
Good VTVMs are surprisingly cheap, and I usually find mine more useful than my vom. Although you can't usually measure current with one, and it needs to be plugged in, VTVMs tend to have greater accuracy and input resistance.

Simpson and Triplett made the best VOMs. Also, if could could find an old military surplus VOM, most of those are awesome. If you look hard enough, you should be able to find a Simpson for $60 or less.
Notable Switches I have tried:
black cherry, blue cherry, brown cherry, clear cherry, cherry M84, white alps, black alps, cream alps, Monterey blue alps, Fujitsu Peerless, Gateway2000 rubber dome, Keytronic rubber dome, Model M buckling spring, Model F buckling spring, futaba, black space invader

================================================
HAPPY HUNTING

Offline 8_INCH_FLOPPY

Analog VOM
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 16 April 2011, 13:24:47 »
Quote from: ripster;332208
True.

Newer is USUALLY better when it comes to electronic goods.

It depends on what you are looking for. Most of the new stuff is of a low quality, made in China, and overpriced. You can buy lab-grade test equipment from the 70s and 80s that someone originally paid 1000s of dollars for and still spend less than if you were to buy new consumer-grade equipment.
black cherry, blue cherry, brown cherry, clear cherry, cherry M84, white alps, black alps, cream alps, Monterey blue alps, Fujitsu Peerless, Gateway2000 rubber dome, Keytronic rubber dome, Model M buckling spring, Model F buckling spring, futaba, black space invader

HAPPY HUNTING

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Analog VOM
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 16 April 2011, 14:27:52 »

Offline EverythingIBM

Analog VOM
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 17 April 2011, 20:48:17 »
Quote from: ripster;332235
I always wanted an oscilloscope but wouldn't know how to use it.

My school has some old ones... maybe I can take one if they absolutely don't need them. I'll keep in touch with the teacher there. Some older analog synths need them =p
To tune mine, I simply play a sine or square wave at the proper pitch (with my computer), and match it up.
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

Offline bettablue

• All Things DOS
Analog VOM
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 17 April 2011, 21:21:45 »
Why unfortunate?  

Quote from: ch_123;332282
What an unfortunate thread title.
Vintage Computer user, and collector, specializing in the IBM 5150 Personal Computer, the World\'s first REAL PC!
Keyboards - IBM Model M X 2, IBM AT X 2, IBM KB8923, Apple IIe, and Mac SE boards. 

Offline 8_INCH_FLOPPY

Analog VOM
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 20 April 2011, 20:24:44 »
Quote from: EverythingIBM;332464
My school has some old ones... maybe I can take one if they absolutely don't need them. I'll keep in touch with the teacher there. Some older analog synths need them =p
To tune mine, I simply play a sine or square wave at the proper pitch (with my computer), and match it up.

What the hell kind of synthesizer requires an oscilloscope to tune?

HAPPY HUNTING

Offline bettablue

• All Things DOS
Analog VOM
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 28 March 2012, 00:31:35 »
Bump

Sorry to wake up such an old thread, but I finally got not one, but two good Volt Ohm Meters.  One is a Micronta 22-205 by Radio Shack, that nobody can seem to find any information for; and a Sompson 260 series 6M.  I found what I needed for the Micronta, which is the 22.5 volt battery to be exact.  However there seems to be an issue with the Simpaon meter I purchased.  I've already gone to the Simpson260 web site too.  Everything on this meter is fantastic.  In fact, it appears to be in "like new" condition inside and out.  All of the components look great, but the 10K Ohm scale will not zero.  I thought it might be a calibration issue, or a blown or bad resistor, but I really don't know.  All of the contacts are clean, the meter movement is perfectly smooth and as I stated, it is in fantastic condition.  

The schematic I found for this particular model from the Sompson 260.com appears to be the wrong one as well.

What I would like to know is very simple...  Inside there are several variable resistors.  Each has it's own function.  There are other static resistors as well.  Does anyone know EXACTLY what I need to do to get the 10K Ohm scale to properly xero out and still be at least somewhat accurate until I can have it calibrated?

Thanks for reading.  And again, sorry for waking this old thread.