Author Topic: Saved an iMac from the landfill  (Read 2683 times)

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
Saved an iMac from the landfill
« on: Fri, 08 August 2008, 21:41:38 »
17" iMac G5 (pre-iSight), 1.8GHz, 1GB ram, superdrive, airport card. The only thing wrong with it (aside from all the stickers I peeled and cleaned off of it) was a dead hard drive. Have one of my spare hdd's in it right now and have a new one (along with 2GB of ram) on order.

The screen is perfect (beautiful!), wireless works great, cosmetically looks like new after a good cleaning. Been running a fresh install of Leopard for the last couple of days and has been rock solid.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #1 on: Fri, 08 August 2008, 22:54:00 »
Sweet. Is that the one that looks like a lamp? And I have to ask, did you actually get this from a landfill?
Trippy that some one would throw something like that away.
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 08 August 2008, 23:03:03 »
Quote from: bigpook;7215
Sweet. Is that the one that looks like a lamp? And I have to ask, did you actually get this from a landfill?
Trippy that some one would throw something like that away.

This is what I got.

I don't go digging in landfills.  I took it from someone who was throwing it away.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 08 August 2008, 23:18:07 »
Sorry, didn't mean to suggest that. : ) It's not the lamp looking one I was thinking of, its actually the nicer one. Cool, that it was only a bad drive keeping it from being useful.
Thats a good find.
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline fkeidjn

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 08 August 2008, 23:50:49 »
I don't understand why anybody would throw a iMac out, just because it simply "stopped working."  Chances of that happening to me would probably be never
Kinesis Keypad - Filco FKBN104M/EB - Unitek space-saver - Acer 6511-TW - Apple Extended II (M3501) - Scorpius M10 - Cherry G80-1800, AT - SGI Granite - vintage Fujitsu - IBM Model M, 101 and mini - Model F, 84-key AT - Dell AT101W - Northgate 101

Offline D-EJ915

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 09 August 2008, 00:05:46 »
nice catch!

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 09 August 2008, 01:06:07 »
Quote from: fkeidjn;7218
I don't understand why anybody would throw a iMac out, just because it simply "stopped working."  Chances of that happening to me would probably be never

To be fair, if it were an early G3 or something, which is NEARLY useless, it might get thrown out (and by "thrown out," I mean "recycled," CRTs have some nasty chemicals) if the HDD died.

But, a G5? Crap, I'm running an iBook G4 as my main machine!

(And, it's the iMac G4 that's the lamp.)