Author Topic: Your Preferred Text Editor  (Read 41452 times)

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
Re: Your Preferred Text Editor
« Reply #50 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 18:37:05 »
I'm a Mac/iOS user and it depends on the task, but here are the text editors that I use on a daily basis:

1. Byword
   - general writing, blogging
   - desktop and mobile

2. Textmate
   - html and css
   - desktop

3. NVAlt
   - daily work log and notes
   - desktop

4. Simplenote
   - daily work log and notes
   - mobile

5. Taskpaper
   - task management
   - desktop and mobile

Offline Lanx

« Reply #51 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 20:38:34 »
notepad++

and word lots of symbol and word replacements i learned with word i don't know how to do with notepad++ like ^t is the variable symbol for "tab"

Offline codyeatworld

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #52 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 20:52:50 »
sublime text 2/3

I currently have them uninstalled to force myself to vim on rails more...

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #53 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 21:10:39 »
Windows: ConText

OS X: TextWrangler

Linux: elvis

Java (any OS): Eclipse
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline korrelate

• iubeo stultum esse libenter
« Reply #54 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 21:16:39 »
TextPad!!! I've thought about UltraEdit, and I've heard lots of good things about it, but I've been using TextPad forever and can't give up that kind of familiarity. If I was spending a lot of time working on a remote unix box, though, I would probably be on UltraEdit.

Topre REALFORCE

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #55 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 21:27:53 »

TextPad!!! I've thought about UltraEdit, and I've heard lots of good things about it, but I've been using TextPad forever and can't give up that kind of familiarity. If I was spending a lot of time working on a remote unix box, though, I would probably be on UltraEdit.

Is TextPad the one I'm thinking of? Used to be free, now commercial. Has a really neat feature to mark lines that match a search, and perform edit options just on those matching/marked lines? That was one feature I have not found in any other text editor.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline belac

« Reply #56 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 21:33:53 »
Has a really neat feature to mark lines that match a search, and perform edit options just on those matching/marked lines? That was one feature I have not found in any other text editor.
Vim can do that for you in just a few key strokes sir.

Now that I think about it, elvis should do that for you too. I assume it is built on top of the original ex editor like vi is, and the command to do what you're asking is an ex command. The highlighting might not be there like it is in vim though. I'm not familiar with elvis, so I don't know.
« Last Edit: Fri, 13 September 2013, 21:51:26 by belac »

Offline t888

• CONNECT 14400 ... Welcome to Skynet
« Reply #57 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 21:57:07 »
I like Vim.

Out of necessity I learned how to use the vi editor in Unix years ago, and once I mastered it provided me the ability to edit and manipulate text with ease.  It has a high learning curve, but it is an editor that is always available on Unix and Linux systems.  Vim is an improved version of the original vi editor found in Unix, it has lots of nifty features like syntax highlighting, integration to development tools, etc.  It has been ported to most operating systems so you can install it on most platforms.

Honestly you just need to spend some time with different editors and see what you like.  There are a lot of good editors out there.  Notepad++, textwrangler, etc..

Have fun in your research.
Unicomp ♡ HHKB Pro 2 ♡ Realforce 87u 55g

Offline korrelate

« Reply #58 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 22:22:26 »

Is TextPad the one I'm thinking of? Used to be free, now commercial. Has a really neat feature to mark lines that match a search, and perform edit options just on those matching/marked lines? That was one feature I have not found in any other text editor.

It's still free to download the full version. Paying the license fee gets rid of some mildly annoying nags, though. And I don't know if the following matches your expectations about the find&replace functionality, but in TextPad, if you have a block of text in your script highlighted and then proceed to Find&Replace you will be presented with the option of making all replacements in the file or just make those replacements in the block of code you highlighted before opening the Find&Replace function.

For $15 bucks or whatever, this thing has been a steal. I've been using this app for Years and Years. Very stable, very lightweight, syntax highlighting addons are available for just about any language that you can think of and there's a lot more to go with it.

Topre REALFORCE

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #59 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 22:44:13 »

It's still free to download the full version. Paying the license fee gets rid of some mildly annoying nags, though. And I don't know if the following matches your expectations about the find&replace functionality, but in TextPad, if you have a block of text in your script highlighted and then proceed to Find&Replace you will be presented with the option of making all replacements in the file or just make those replacements in the block of code you highlighted before opening the Find&Replace function.

For $15 bucks or whatever, this thing has been a steal. I've been using this app for Years and Years. Very stable, very lightweight, syntax highlighting addons are available for just about any language that you can think of and there's a lot more to go with it.

No, replace-in-block is not quite what I was thinking of.

Might have to read up a but mire on elvis.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #60 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 22:45:28 »
I must have had a brain fart and forgot to mention my favorite editor of all time. It came bundled with DOS, from version 1.0 on. It has been ported to an open version for FreeDOS.

Yes, I'm talking about the best editor ever made: Edlin.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #61 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 23:40:50 »
I must have had a brain fart and forgot to mention my favorite editor of all time. It came bundled with DOS, from version 1.0 on. It has been ported to an open version for FreeDOS.

Yes, I'm talking about the best editor ever made: Edlin.

COPY CON, SIR

Also, ed is of course the standard text editor.

Offline morflleh

« Reply #62 on: Sat, 14 September 2013, 00:06:22 »
i am student in computer science too and i've been using notepad++ for years  :thumb:

i also have tried editplus but i prefer notepad++ cause more simple and easy to use  :)

Leopold FC700R
Pure Pro

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #63 on: Sat, 14 September 2013, 00:44:55 »
the only.thi.g worse than.emacs is.nano. then there's pico. that's basically the ninth circle of hell

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline lcs

• Lover of Grape Drank
  • はやく
« Reply #64 on: Sat, 14 September 2013, 09:55:38 »
the only.thi.g worse than.emacs is.nano. then there's pico. that's basically the ninth circle of hell

>:D

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #65 on: Sat, 14 September 2013, 10:01:00 »
I love my nano. But then, I use unix pine email....

Offline ___q

« Reply #66 on: Sat, 14 September 2013, 20:57:29 »
Emacs is clearly the one true text editor.  I'm not sure how the original post was even a question worth asking.

Vim is somewhat acceptable as well, as a backup (and vi/vim tend to be installed on any random machine you end up using).
« Last Edit: Sat, 14 September 2013, 20:59:51 by ___q »

Offline lcs

• Lover of Grape Drank
  • はやく
« Reply #67 on: Sat, 14 September 2013, 21:05:11 »
Emacs is clearly the one true text editor.  I'm not sure how the original post was even a question worth asking.

Vim is somewhat acceptable as well, as a backup (and vi/vim tend to be installed on any random machine you end up using).

___q my buddy!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #68 on: Sun, 15 September 2013, 03:52:06 »
I taught myself basic emacs for the hell of it once.  Then I went back to elvis.

emacs is ok, but press the wrong key in a multi-key sequence and/or with the wrong modifier pressed, and something unexpected usually happens.

Offline vasouv

« Reply #69 on: Sun, 15 September 2013, 03:54:58 »
I think Notepad++ doesn't handle large text files very well. I tried opening a 35MB SQL file, it opened it but couldn't scroll up or down and ended up crashing. Sublime Text 3 (beta) and TextPad opened it with no problems.

AND, TextPad seems to have the smallest memory acquisition. With this SQL file open, Notepad++ was ~100MB of RAM, Sublime Text 3(beta) was ~170 and TextPad a mere 20MB!!!!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #70 on: Sun, 15 September 2013, 04:07:30 »
Back in the day the text editor I used could only handle files the size of the (severely limited) RAM (think 640K should be enough for anyone).

So I wrote my own paging text editor.

It was fun, but a bit slow sometimes.

Offline korrelate

« Reply #71 on: Sun, 15 September 2013, 04:26:09 »
I think Notepad++ doesn't handle large text files very well. I tried opening a 35MB SQL file, it opened it but couldn't scroll up or down and ended up crashing. Sublime Text 3 (beta) and TextPad opened it with no problems.

AND, TextPad seems to have the smallest memory acquisition. With this SQL file open, Notepad++ was ~100MB of RAM, Sublime Text 3(beta) was ~170 and TextPad a mere 20MB!!!!

I know!!! Right!!! I've thrown HUGE files at TextPad and it's never let me down. I'm sure there's a limit to what it can open, but with a modicum of sense it's unlikely that it's limit is keeping you from getting anything done.

Topre REALFORCE

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #72 on: Sun, 15 September 2013, 05:14:35 »
I use Vim 90% of the time because the modality gets me but mostly because I like my editor to be an editor and unix to be my development environment. I'm also a fluent emacs users but I don't like the fact that emacs wants to be my terminal too but man do I wish I could write lisp to extend Vim.

Since I teach a lot, I also used to use and recommend first TextMate, then Sublime Text, and now Brackets as a simple modern editor for new programmers.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #73 on: Sun, 15 September 2013, 13:55:52 »
Vim has Python and Ruby bindings these days, in case you're not aware.  Not Lisp, but immeasurably better than vimscript.

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #74 on: Sun, 15 September 2013, 14:27:37 »
Vim has Python and Ruby bindings these days, in case you're not aware.  Not Lisp, but immeasurably better than vimscript.

Yeah, but both have limits compared to what you can do with vimscript and mega awkard APIs. Plus they segfault frequently on latest Ruby. When I can I use Lua to bind to Vim. Otherwise I grab a drink and embrace the madness.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #75 on: Sun, 15 September 2013, 15:35:51 »
Amen to that, brother. I seriously don't think that Tim Pope is even human

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #76 on: Sun, 15 September 2013, 16:29:52 »

Yeah, but both have limits compared to what you can do with vimscript and mega awkard APIs. Plus they segfault frequently on latest Ruby. When I can I use Lua to bind to Vim. Otherwise I grab a drink and embrace the madness.

I was really hoping Tim Pope would write a vimscript book. Then I realized that would be like re-publishing the necronomicon.

Offline ___q

« Reply #77 on: Sun, 15 September 2013, 23:53:13 »
If any of you use the second-best text editor, and want to learn more about it, I've found "Learn Vimscript the Hard Way" to be excellent: http://learnvimscriptthehardway.stevelosh.com/   (it's free online, and he sells print-on-demand copies through lulu).

(Or, of course, you could just learn elisp like a normal person.)

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #78 on: Mon, 16 September 2013, 01:31:08 »
I'm actually kind of surprised stevelosh isn't here himself.

Offline phoenix1234

« Reply #79 on: Mon, 16 September 2013, 02:54:34 »
My favourite text editors:

Vim
Nano
Gedit
Notepad++
UltraEdit

:thumb:
I like linear switches

Offline ssdt

« Reply #80 on: Mon, 16 September 2013, 04:33:31 »
Notepad++ for pretty much everything, mainly LaTeX.

Poker II         HHKB Pro 2

“We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit.” - Aristotle

Offline Nask

« Reply #81 on: Mon, 16 September 2013, 04:44:35 »
Notepad++ as a freeware, and SublimeText even though it's a shareware.
Keyboards: IBM SSK | Noppoo Choc Mini MX-Blue | PLU ML-87 MX-Brown | CM QFR Mx-Red | CM Novatouch

Offline therecorder

« Reply #82 on: Mon, 16 September 2013, 05:48:58 »
http://www.codertools.com/

The Lite/Free version of this is nice, but unknown to most.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #83 on: Mon, 16 September 2013, 07:45:46 »

Just looked at the website.  I'm wondering what the "Query and analyze databases" function looks like on a text editor...

Offline therecorder

« Reply #84 on: Mon, 16 September 2013, 07:50:57 »

Just looked at the website.  I'm wondering what the "Query and analyze databases" function looks like on a text editor...

I think that you can download and try the Pro version (at the top of the page)...  The Free version download is at the bottom of the page.

Offline therecorder

« Reply #85 on: Mon, 16 September 2013, 07:53:24 »

I think that you can download and try the Pro version (at the top of the page)...  The Free version download is at the bottom of the page.

The Free version is also one of the few free version text editors that has a built-in spell checker.

*** ALSO http://www.codertools.com/download.aspx ***
« Last Edit: Mon, 16 September 2013, 07:56:58 by therecorder »

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #86 on: Mon, 16 September 2013, 07:57:13 »
The Free version is also one of the few free version text editors that has a built-in spell checker.

Other than Notepad++ :)

I actually know there are better editors out there than n++.  I used to use ultraedit and textedit, and this one also looks very good.  However, I give lots of points for open source.  n++ use scintilla editing component, which is used on several Unix text editors, so it gives you that cross-platform compatibility.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #87 on: Mon, 16 September 2013, 10:53:34 »
Vim is my daily editor unless I'm doing .NET or using a new API in another language at which point I use an IDE. Even then, I often have the file open in both places. I've never used emacs but get the feeling it is a very powerful and customizable editor like Vim. The learning curve to use Vim is a little steep. The learning curve to do things that will make your coworkers jaws drop (which is fun to do sometimes) is very steep, but it is worth it and not to hard to attain if you just make a little progress each day. Using motion commands combined with on the fly macros is by itself reason enough to learn Vim. I've not seen that ability in any other editor that even comes close to the speed, ease, and precision with which you can do it in Vim. At the end of the day, any editor is just another tool in your toolbox. Because its one you'll use a lot, it is worth learning and mastering. Feel free to experiment and see which you like. Just be sure you give them a fair chance. I'd argue anything less than a month or so of daily use and ongoing learning isn't really giving the editor a chance. In your journey, you'll probably encounter the sentiment that proficiency with an editor (or any tool) is not worth worrying about because so little of your time as a developer is actually spent on the act of writing code. Ignore these people. They don't want what's best for you. It's really very simple: the less time it takes you to physically write code, the more time you get to spend on problem solving, design, etc. Good luck in your studies. It's an amazing career for lifelong students.

+1 for mentioning vim macros. If I had to only keep one feature of vim, it'd be the macros (well, that and modal editing, which the macros kind of require).

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #88 on: Mon, 16 September 2013, 11:21:22 »
Vim is my favorite.
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #89 on: Mon, 16 September 2013, 16:09:42 »
+1 for mentioning vim macros. If I had to only keep one feature of vim, it'd be the macros (well, that and modal editing, which the macros kind of require).

Indeed.  On-the-fly keypress replay macros are fantastic.

My #1 most loved feature in vim is the t/T and f/F text objects.  Absolutely indispensable for me both for moving through code and for editing.

Offline Altis

« Reply #90 on: Wed, 18 September 2013, 18:04:04 »
Notepad++ for me.  Although I haven't really tried many others, to be honest.

I just like having a black background to type on... tabs are always handy, too.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #91 on: Wed, 18 September 2013, 18:12:07 »
Notepad++ for me.  Although I haven't really tried many others, to be honest.

I just like having a black background to type on... tabs are always handy, too.

Most text editors let you change colours.

The most irritating in terms of "tabs" I have seen if jEdit - it has a dropdown list at the top to switch between open files.

Offline Altis

« Reply #92 on: Wed, 18 September 2013, 19:32:08 »
The most irritating in terms of "tabs" I have seen if jEdit - it has a dropdown list at the top to switch between open files.

You'd love Visio 2010.. I had to use it on an old laptop at work.... In that, I had to use the ribbon up top to change to a different set, then click a box which dropped-down my open windows.

Would not enjoy that on a regular basis.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #93 on: Wed, 18 September 2013, 19:40:44 »

You'd love Visio 2010.. I had to use it on an old laptop at work.... In that, I had to use the ribbon up top to change to a different set, then click a box which dropped-down my open windows.

Would not enjoy that on a regular basis.

Ouch!

I guess that is not as bad as cycling through several files open in elvis (:n :n :n :rew ...) ;)
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 September 2013, 19:50:26 by rowdy »

Offline inteli722

• Waiting for too much stuff...
« Reply #94 on: Mon, 23 September 2013, 20:28:35 »
emacs or Notepad++. Use emacs on my laptop (linux), notepad++ on my desktop. I have emacs on my desktop, but I never edit text anyways on that thing!

I use Microsoft word for processing, but that's been clarified to be something different.
More

Visit the Typing Test and try!
R.I.P. SmallFry! You will be dearly missed.
Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues
Waiting for: Phantom Plate

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #95 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 08:47:09 »
Emacs ftw!

It can use Lisp substitution when searching / replacing strings:

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/ReplaceRegexp

It can be easily extended to add crazy new features. Here's a 1m30 video that is really worth watching showing someone adding on-the-fly evaluation of forms/code for elisp (mimicking what LightTable does for Clojure) where you can see values passed to functions "flowing" trough the code:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNO-vgq3Avg

(the point here is not necessarily that having this is important: the point is that that functionality was first really demo'ed in another IDE and then an Emacs hacker was able to replicate a working proof-of-concept by hacking some elisp magic in a short amount of time. Doing the same in another IDE / editor would probably be a major undertaking)

Emacs because of macros, ace-jump-mode, paredit, org-mode, magit, shell-command-on-region and hundreds of other cool things.
Emacs because instead of having to adapt myself to an editor / IDE's way of working I can adapt Emacs to my way of working.

Note that as much as I think that Emacs rocks and that there's a reason why it's still around after decades and why it shall still be there in decades, I do also think that the default Emacs shortcuts are the most stupid shortcuts ever invented... But in Emacs everything is customizable so for me it's not an issue  ;)

Oh and:

cat flames > /dev/null

P.S: I do have my fully paid-for latest version of IntelliJ IDEA but I really don't use it that often.
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 October 2013, 10:50:18 by TacticalCoder »
HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)

Offline angelic_sedition

« Reply #96 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 16:32:50 »
I still have a lot to try, but these are what I primarily use right now:

+1 for Sublime Text (with Vintage/Vintageous mode)
Notepad ++
Gedit

I used to primarily use np++, but after finally trying out Sublime Text, I'm in love. Might use vim more in the future, but right now I'm sticking with ST3.  :D
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 October 2013, 16:34:31 by angelic_sedition »
QWERTY(104wpm) -> CarpalxQ(modded) -> Colemak(118wpm) -> Colemak-DH
Mouse less.

Offline GamingFTW

« Reply #97 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 16:52:58 »
Notepad++ for extensive editing, ust regular notepad for simple edits.

Offline Tarzan_

« Reply #98 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 17:33:50 »
PSPad.

Offline jiggityjane

« Reply #99 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 23:41:47 »
Textmate here.