Author Topic: The Retrocomputing Thread  (Read 8776 times)

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
The Retrocomputing Thread
« on: Wed, 17 December 2008, 10:36:53 »
Thought I'd start a thread for retrocomputing...

What all retrocomputers do you have, and what do you use them for?

I grew up around Apple IIs, and everything I've got is an A2.

My first computer was a //c, which I still have, although I doubt it works (water exposure when it was in storage.)

I've also got a clone called a "Hacker //e" - the case resembles a ][ or ][+, but the board is almost perfectly compatible with an unenhanced //e.

But, my main system is a IIGS ROM version 3. Mine's unexpanded, so it's got the stock 1.125 MiB RAM, and no mass storage. Unfortunately, the motherboard has an issue preventing any expansion cards from working properly. I've got an Uther ethernet card for it, and I'm going to get a Focus IDE controller and some form of RAM card (probably some used third-party 4 MiB card - I have no need for 8 MiB.)

Right now, the machine (in an unexpanded configuration with 2 3.5" 800 kiB drives and 2 5.25" 143 kiB drives) is connected via a null modem cable to my server, using the Marinetti TCP/IP stack and the SLIP link layer on the client side, and SLiRP on the server side, over a 9600 baud link (I think something's wrong with my null modem cable, it used to do 38400 reliably.) Then, I'm running Silver Platter on the machine from there. (Sorry, no link to the server yet until I get image filesizes optimized and maybe a faster connection between the IIGS and my server, or a replacement motherboard so I can use the Uther card.)

Of course, I also play games on it, and such. :)

Offline lam47

« Reply #1 on: Wed, 17 December 2008, 10:56:10 »
I used to collect Neogeo AES carts. Moved onto MVS and Arcade boards.
Never really collected old computers though.
Keyboards. Happy Hacking pro 2 x2. One white one black. IBM model M US layout. SGI silicone Graphics with rubber dampened ALPS. IBM model F. ALPS apple board, I forget what it is. And some more I forget what I have.

Typewriters. Olivetti Valentine. Imperial Good Companion Model T. Olympia SM3

Offline D-EJ915

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 17 December 2008, 11:41:33 »
I don't think my stuff from around 96-02 counts as retro but I do have quite a bit of old unix gear

Offline megarat

• (Not My Real Name)
    • http://www.megarat.com
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 17 December 2008, 13:25:53 »
I was big into retrocomputing from about '96 through '04.  Lately, I haven't spent much time dabbling in this area.

What I'm still involved with:

Atari 8-bit.  I'm down to one computer (plus spares), which is an 800XL that I hacked in the Super Video 2.1 upgrade, plus a firmware kit that enables me to switch between four different OSes.  I use this, primarily, as a game machine.  I also have some older game consoles (Atari 2600, Atari Jaguar, Nuon), which are all wired up to the same home theater via svideo.

Now that I think about it, I also have an Atari XEGS, which is technically an 8-bit computer, but it never gets used.  In the past, I had had a few other 8-bits as well, like a 1200XL I had since 5th grade.  I eventually got rid of them to reduce the clutter, as well as about 200 cartridges and lots of peripherals and controllers.

Tandy TRS-80  Model 100.  If you don't agree that this is the coolest computer ever made, then you need to be re-educated.  I'm on the Club 100 mailing list and a group of us (primarily under the guidance of one self-motivated person) make hardware upgrades for this puppy, to give it greater memory and storage capacity.  I still have two of these, one of them stock (of which I'm the original owner, from when I got it as a birthday gift when I was sixteen) and one of them wired up with the memory/flash upgrade.  I can't say I use this computer much, but I'll never get rid of it.  It's just that cool.

What I used to be involved with:

Old SGIs.  This is fresh from my post on the SGI keyboard thread under "keyboard audio clips" in a deja vu kind of way.  In the world of retrocomputing, SGIs were my strongest passion.  I was especially interested in the Indigo, and went through variants and hardware of all stripes.  I had one machine in particular that I invested all of my time with, and tricked it out to the hilt.  It was such a hot-rod, with so many rare components and original packaging, that when I sold it on eBay in 2005 (in an era when stock Indigos went for appx $50), It sold for $880.

I also had an R5k Indy, an R4600SC Challenge S, Power Series 4D/310 VGX, and I picked up four deskside Onyx RE2s from Boeing Surplus (sans hard disks, which were destroyed, to comply with confidentiality requirements) and fixed them up with new hard disks and fresh Irix installations, then sold them via eBay.  This was simultaneously euphorically fun, and crushingly frustrating.  (Wow, three adverbs in one sentence!)  Shipping a 250-pound computer isn't as easy as it sounds.

Old Suns.  I particularly liked the old lunch boxes, in particular the Sparc IPX.  I had one of these as a project machine for about two years, and even brought it to work to use as a development box.  I also had an ancient 4/260 deskside server that I had hoped to do something interesting with (and a Sparcbook 2, now that I think about it), but never did.  I just gave it away when I got tired of it taking up garage space.

NeXT and MicroVAX.  I only dabbled in these areas, getting stuff up and working in a gee-whiz capacity, and then sitting there wondering why I had wanted to get one of these working in the first place.

Old Macs.  This probably doesn't count as retrocomputing, but I tricked out a project SE/30.  It had a full 32MB of RAM, a 4GB hard disk, and under the hood were a Sonnet 50MHz 030 upgrade and that cool graphics card that provides greyscale graphics to the internal display.  Plus it quad-booted into four different OSes:  System 6.08, System 7.1, a hacked version of Mac OS 8.1, and NetBSD.

Routinely, for years, until approximately 2001, I used a Mac IIci that was upgraded with an 040 expansion board and nubus graphics card, when it was finally replaced with a blue-and-white Powerbook G3.  (At the end, I was frustrated with how unstable it was.)

Likewise, a Powerbook 100 was my primary laptop for six years (from '98 to '04), only to be replaced when I found something worthy to succeed it (a 12" Powerbook G4, which I still use today).  I loved that thing.  It and I traveled to six continents.  Like the SE/30, it was also multi-boot, selectable between System 7.1 and System 6.08.

Home/Work:  Custom Filco FKBN87Z/EB and SGI 041-0136-001 chimera (original white ALPS, not simplified, rubber-dampened)
Gaming:  Wolfking Warrior with custom-colored layout, HHKB Lite 2 (Rubber dome)

Offline megarat

• (Not My Real Name)
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 17 December 2008, 13:38:12 »
I was big into retrocomputing from about '96 through '04.  Lately, I haven't spent much time dabbling in this area.

What I'm still involved with:

Atari 8-bit.  I'm down to one computer (plus spares), which is an 800XL that I hacked in the Super Video 2.1 upgrade, plus a firmware kit that enables me to switch between four different OSes.  I use this, primarily, as a game machine.  I also have some older game consoles (Atari 2600, Atari Jaguar, Nuon), which are all wired up to the same home theater via svideo.

Now that I think about it, I also have an Atari XEGS, which is technically an 8-bit computer, but it never gets used.  In the past, I had had a few other 8-bits as well, like a 1200XL I had since 5th grade.  I eventually got rid of them to reduce the clutter, as well as about 200 cartridges and lots of peripherals and controllers.

Tandy TRS-80  Model 100.  If you don't agree that this is the coolest computer ever made, then you need to be re-educated.  I'm on the Club 100 mailing list and a group of us (primarily under the guidance of one self-motivated person) make hardware upgrades for this puppy, to give it greater memory and storage capacity.  I still have two of these, one of them stock (of which I'm the original owner, from when I got it as a birthday gift when I was sixteen) and one of them wired up with the memory/flash upgrade.  I can't say I use this computer much, but I'll never get rid of it.  It's just that cool.

What I used to be involved with:

Old SGIs.  This is fresh from my post on the SGI keyboard thread under "keyboard audio clips" in a deja vu kind of way.  In the world of retrocomputing, SGIs were my strongest passion.  I was especially interested in the Indigo, and went through variants and hardware of all stripes.  I had one machine in particular that I invested all of my time with, and tricked it out to the hilt.  It was such a hot-rod, with so many rare components and original packaging, that when I sold it on eBay in 2005 (in an era when stock Indigos went for appx $50), It sold for $880.

I also had an R5k Indy, an R4600SC Challenge S, deskside Power Series 4D/310 VGX, a deskside Challenge L, and through dumb luck, I picked up four deskside Onyx RE2s from Boeing Surplus (sans hard disks, which were destroyed, to comply with confidentiality requirements) and fixed them up with new hard disks and fresh Irix installations, then sold them via eBay.  This was simultaneously euphorically fun, and crushingly frustrating.  (Wow, three adverbs in one sentence!)  E.g., shipping a 250-pound computer isn't as easy as it sounds.

Old Suns.  I particularly liked the old lunch boxes, in particular the Sparc IPX.  I had one of these as a project machine for about two years, and even brought it to work to use as a development box.  I also had an ancient 4/260 deskside server that I had hoped to do something interesting with (and a Sparcbook 2, now that I think about it), but never did.  I just gave it away when I got tired of it taking up garage space.

NeXT and MicroVAX.  I only dabbled in these areas, getting stuff up and working in a gee-whiz capacity, and then sitting there wondering why I had wanted to get one of these working in the first place.

Old Macs.  This probably doesn't count as retrocomputing, but I tricked out a project SE/30.  It had a full 32MB of RAM, a 4GB hard disk, and under the hood were a Sonnet 50MHz 030 upgrade and that cool graphics card that provides greyscale graphics to the internal display.  Plus it quad-booted into four different OSes:  System 6.08, System 7.1, a hacked version of Mac OS 8.1, and NetBSD.

Routinely, for years, until approximately 2001, I used a Mac IIci that was upgraded with an 040 expansion board and nubus graphics card, when it was finally replaced with a blue-and-white Powerbook G3.  (At the end, I was frustrated with how unstable it was.)

Likewise, a Powerbook 100 was my primary laptop for six years (from '98 to '04), only to be replaced when I found something worthy to succeed it (a 12" Powerbook G4, which I still use today).  I loved that thing.  It and I traveled to six continents.  Like the SE/30, it was also multi-boot, selectable between System 7.1 and System 6.08.

Home/Work:  Custom Filco FKBN87Z/EB and SGI 041-0136-001 chimera (original white ALPS, not simplified, rubber-dampened)

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 17 December 2008, 17:43:58 »
Got the image shrunk and the link speed sorted out (turns out, Marinetti can handle 38400 stable with this computer,) so...

http://bhtooefr.ath.cx:6502/index.htm

Offline lam47

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 17 December 2008, 18:14:58 »
Quote from: bhtooefr;15171
Got the image shrunk and the link speed sorted out (turns out, Marinetti can handle 38400 stable with this computer,) so...

Awesome!
Keyboards. Happy Hacking pro 2 x2. One white one black. IBM model M US layout. SGI silicone Graphics with rubber dampened ALPS. IBM model F. ALPS apple board, I forget what it is. And some more I forget what I have.

Typewriters. Olivetti Valentine. Imperial Good Companion Model T. Olympia SM3

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 17 December 2008, 18:25:44 »
Really, port 65816 would be more accurate, but that's not a valid port number. ;)

Offline dougy

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 17 December 2008, 18:42:48 »
I've got an original 2gs "Woz" edition thats been running (except for power outages) full time since '93. Its connected to a Peet Brothers weather station and runs an Applesoft basic program that displays and logs the data. Odd thing is that it eats modern 3.5" discs. The boot disc lasts less than a year if I use a modern one. If I reformat a vintage disk I get double that.

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 17 December 2008, 19:07:02 »
That's because the coercivity of HD media is wrong for DD recording.

I get my disks from here: http://oldsoftware.com/floppy_disks.html

$33 for a 50 pack of 3.5" DSDDs. They work great for me.

Offline megarat

• (Not My Real Name)
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 17 December 2008, 21:52:20 »
Quote from: bhtooefr;15171

Very cool.

Offline megarat

• (Not My Real Name)
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 17 December 2008, 21:55:11 »
Pardon my ignorance ... for those of you IIgs hobbysits, why do you think this computer is interesting and/or fun and/or useful?

(I'm not being contentious ... the IIgs is a computer that I have nearly zero experience with, and it seems to be at an interesting crossroads between the IIe/IIc family and the Macintosh.  I'd like to know what made/makes it special.)

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 17 December 2008, 21:59:46 »
Almost 100% backwards compatibility (I say almost because I'm sure there were a few apps that used unsupported opcodes, or bugs in the CPU, or bugs in the hardware, that were changed/fixed in the IIGS) with the 8-bit machines, graphics abilities that blew a 1986 Macintosh out of the water (and, while they weren't quite as good as the Amiga, they were still good,) sound abilities that just plain blew everything out of the water (to the point that Apple Records sued Apple Computer for including the Ensoniq ES5503 synthesizer chip,) and excellent expandability (to the point that I can buy one of two different ethernet cards (although only one's any good) and one of four different models of IDE controller brand new, today. And not old stock, I'm talking, boards that are being built today.)

A fully-expanded IIGS could make a fully-expanded Macintosh Plus look like a sad, sad excuse for a computer.

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 17 December 2008, 22:10:52 »
Actually, I'll back off of one claim - there were some rather insane accelerators for the Mac Plus, and the best (without modifications) for the IIGS was 8MHz, and still a 65816. (WDC never designed the 32-bit 65832 that they were going to make for Apple, and they never finished the more recent 32-bit 65T32, so...)

So, a fully-loaded Mac Plus could probably destroy the GS in processing speed. Also, the AppleTalk stack is more complete on a Mac than it is on a GS (a GS can only function as a client, never a server.)

But, that fully-loaded Mac Plus couldn't handle as much storage, didn't have as much compatibility, didn't have anywhere near the graphics or sound capabilities, had half the RAM, quite possibly had slower ethernet if it had it at all, didn't have anywhere near the games, and didn't have anywhere near the user serviceability or expandability.

Offline megarat

• (Not My Real Name)
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 18 December 2008, 00:10:48 »
So if I understand what you said about the Apple IIgs:  one could get one of these systems, and with the help of some expansions, put in a killer-sized hard disk, load it up with old A2 ROM images, and play them on nearly identical hardware?

Are the new-stock IDE boards you're talking about being built specifically for the IIgs?  If so, who are building these things?  Are they the work of industrious hobbyists, or is there actual profit involved?

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 18 December 2008, 00:37:32 »
Well, the Apple II had a few different incompatible OSes, and there are a couple ways to run DOS 3.3 (the last evolution of the original Apple II OS) floppy images within GS/OS (the IIGS's ProDOS-derived OS,) they're not that reliable, so for DOS 3.3 stuff, you really have to write it to a floppy. Ditto for Pascal (I think an explanation is needed there... the original implementation of Pascal on the Apple II came with its own OS, which was also referred to as Pascal, and had other programming languages available) or CP/M (which only works with a Z80 card installed) stuff.

But, ProDOS (an 8-bit OS with a more advanced filesystem (that supported SUBDIRECTORIES!) and support for mass storage) and GS/OS stuff is usually hard drive installable.

As for the new-stock stuff... the beauty of the IIGS is that it uses the exact same slot expansion stuff as the 8-bit machines, so there's even hardware backwards compatibility (at near 100%) and some forwards compatibility. (Some of the IDE cards have different ROMs for 8-bit machines and the GS, though.)

All these things are being made by hobbyists, though, IIRC. They might make a small amount of profit, and they definitely don't lose money, but... (However, some of them are recreations of earlier devices that most definitely were for profit.)

Oh, and something I'll note about GS/OS while I'm at it... a separate font directory, and quite a few of the UI enhancements that didn't make it into the Mac until as late as System 7.1 debuted on the IIGS years earlier.

And, the IIGS supported "File System Translators" way back in the late 1980's... PC Exchange, which was a much, much clunkier way of doing the same thing (and not as well, even) didn't appear in Mac OS until 7.5 in 1994, IIRC.

Offline philodox

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 18 December 2008, 09:50:18 »
I've been seriously considering that Model 25 on ebay... though I'd likely use it for a mod I have planned.  I think it would be cool to throw a mini itx atom MB in there, run linux and emulate FreeDOS on it for old games.  Could be a fun project. :)

[The main purpose of the system would be as a router/firewall/torrent/file/etc server]

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 18 December 2008, 13:09:40 »
I think your only problem is going to be hooking up the monitor, and possibly powering the system (IBM liked to provide the system's power through the monitor cable back then on PS/1 models, but the Model 25 may be drastically different.)

Offline philodox

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 18 December 2008, 13:39:53 »
Quote from: bhtooefr;15232
I think your only problem is going to be hooking up the monitor, and possibly powering the system (IBM liked to provide the system's power through the monitor cable back then on PS/1 models, but the Model 25 may be drastically different.)
Yeah, I might have to build an LCD into the old shell in place of the original monitor if there is no easy way of hooking it up.  Will likely power it with an external power supply.

Then again, I might just leave it stock and mess around with it that way.  Depends on how easy hacking it apart turns out to be.

Offline D-EJ915

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 19 December 2008, 19:59:39 »
I just picked up an old HP C200: pics

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 19 December 2008, 22:34:30 »
And I just picked up yet another IIGS, for a motherboard donor.

(Actually, a IIGS consists of three parts, the case, motherboard, and power supply... and this one has a much nicer case, too, so it'll be more like I'll swap the freshly refurbished power supply out of my current machine into this one. ;))

Then, I can switch to ethernet. :)

Offline D-EJ915

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 20 December 2008, 00:58:27 »
ooh very nice!  that page takes forever to load, makes me remember how spoiled we are these days

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 20 December 2008, 03:06:51 »
Yeah, and that's at a non-slow 38400 baud, too. (Still slower than the floppy drive, which stops spinning every few second during the page load.)

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 22 December 2008, 18:13:19 »
I still like the IIGS design. I also liked the IIc with that tiny monitor on top when it was new.

I still have my old C64 which I bought when it came out. It stopped working half a year ago, have to get a donor. It has linear Mitsumi switches btw. There was a mod on ebay some time ago that could be connected to the PC. It had two modes: C64 for emulator use and PC keyboard for everything else.

Then there's my old XT clone which originally came with two floppy drives. I trashed the keyboard in a weak moment. Oh how do I regret that. :(

And my T5200 386 laptop. One of four we have at the office now. One has a 486/386 upgrade and is quite fast.

Also, I have a Symbolics mug. :cool:

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline dougy

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 22 December 2008, 18:57:42 »
Another nice factor of the GS was the insanely low power consumption. I tried a "Kill-a-Watt" on it last year and it was 10 watts.

The ethernet card intrigues me. Have always used an Asante-AppleTalk convertor, but they are flaky. Are ethernet cards still around?

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 22 December 2008, 19:07:24 »
There's actually two still around. (And, they were the first two Apple II ethernet cards that actually were released.)

There's the ///SHH Systeme LANceGS, which costs about $180, although I've heard claims that the firmware is buggy, and I've heard more concrete claims that the link layer for Marinetti is nearly useless it's so buggy.

Then, there's the A2Retrosystems Uther, which costs $89, and is much simpler, although it does a lot more in software... but it does it well. I've got an Uther, I just need the replacement mobo to be able to use it.

Offline megarat

• (Not My Real Name)
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 22 December 2008, 19:57:13 »
Quote from: lowpoly;15854
Also, I have a Symbolics mug. :cool:

Cool!

I used to have a Symbolics Space Cadet keyboard that I found at one of our local computer scrapyards (RePC.com) for something like $10.  No Lisp Machine go to with it, just the keyboard, but I bought it because it was so bizarrely cool and historically notorious.

It was a long-time plan of mine to get it working as PS/2 compatible or something, but I found someone who was desperately looking for one, as they were restoring an an actual MIT Lisp Machine.  For good computer karma, I gave it to him in trade for a night of pizza and beer, and visitation rights when he finally gets the computer up and working.  (That's been going on eight years now, if I remember correctly.)

Offline D-EJ915

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 22 December 2008, 20:54:37 »
those lisp machines are pretty slick, I'd love to get to mess around with one sometime

Offline megarat

• (Not My Real Name)
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 23 December 2008, 00:08:06 »
Quote from: D-EJ915;15878
those lisp machines are pretty slick, I'd love to get to mess around with one sometime

If he ever gets it working, I can post about it here.  IIRC, he is going to try to get Genera installed, which supports TCP/IP, for remote access.

Offline Therac-25

« Reply #29 on: Sat, 27 December 2008, 23:40:46 »
Still have a bunch of my old Atari 800XL stuff -- the floppy drive makes a nice decoration in the book shelf.  Other than that, I never had much growing up.  By the time I had my own computers, they were forgettable 486 junk.

I was just watching this video earlier, which certainly triggered alot of memories of that era.  I have fond memories of those computers.  I never had a C64, but every classroom I was in growing up until high school did, as did one of my friends (he also had a Coleco Adam, which is a whole other story...).
das keyboard model s professional
HyperX Alloy FPS Pro Tenkeyless Blue
Model M Mini

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #30 on: Sun, 28 December 2008, 08:51:30 »
Quote from: megarat;15867
I used to have a Symbolics Space Cadet keyboard that I found at one of our local computer scrapyards (RePC.com) for something like $10.  No Lisp Machine go to with it, just the keyboard, but I bought it because it was so bizarrely cool and historically notorious.

It was a long-time plan of mine to get it working as PS/2 compatible or something, but I found someone who was desperately looking for one, as they were restoring an an actual MIT Lisp Machine.  For good computer karma, I gave it to him in trade for a night of pizza and beer, and visitation rights when he finally gets the computer up and working.  (That's been going on eight years now, if I remember correctly.)

After eight years this is not going anywhere. Time to claim your keyboard back.

Then sell it to me. :D

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 29 December 2008, 09:29:30 »
w00t!

Got a new IIGS today with a BEAUTIFUL case, actually a year older than my old GS.

Had a dead power supply, but I was ready for that one, swapped in my good power supply out of my old GS, and went ahead and swapped the NVRAM battery, too.

And, the slots work. :D

So, http://bhtooefr.ath.cx:6502/index.htm should load much, much more quickly than before, now that this thing has an ethernet card. ;)

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 29 December 2008, 10:13:08 »
Quote from: bhtooefr;16388
So, http://bhtooefr.ath.cx:6502/index.htm should load much, much more quickly than before, now that this thing has an ethernet card. ;)

nice

Offline elmwood

« Reply #33 on: Fri, 02 January 2009, 15:52:52 »
Quote from: megarat;15153

After I graduated from college (late 1980s), I got a job as a city planer in a growing city in the Southwest.  I attended classes part-time at the local university, partly to keep myself occupied outside of work, and partly to maintain the Internet access I enjoyed during my undergrad years.

One of the 24 hour computer labs at the university was filled with NeXTstations; both cubes and slabs.  I fell in love with the machines.

About ten years ago, I was finally able to buy a NeXT of my own; a Color NeXTStation slab.  I never spent much time playing around with it, though; I didn't quite have the geek skills to hook it up to a home network with a dynamic IP from the phone or cable company.  As the years went on, its utility shrank; it took up a lot of space, and many unique features of the OS were incorporated into OS X.

Still have the NeXTStation, though.  The monitor has since died (I use an adapter to connect the slab with a multisync CRT), but otherwise it's in great shape, and in the process of simplfying my life I'd like to see it go to a good home.  I still fire it up every year or so, though.  Still takes me back to those days in the lab ... the NeXT just feels more like a "real computer" than OS X, like I should be using it for genome sequencing or creating complicated Mathematica graphs rather than surfing the Web or drafting a zoning code amendment.

Offline D-EJ915

« Reply #34 on: Fri, 02 January 2009, 22:29:18 »
I finally got my indy up and running, got a whole bunch of ghetto pics from getting it running (long story, lol).

info

Offline megarat

• (Not My Real Name)
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 07 January 2009, 01:57:25 »
Quote from: D-EJ915;16975
I finally got my indy up and running, got a whole bunch of ghetto pics from getting it running (long story, lol).

That is definitely a worthy little computer.  I still pine over Irix now and again.

Offline megarat

• (Not My Real Name)
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 07 January 2009, 01:59:15 »
Quote from: lowpoly;16266
After eight years this is not going anywhere. Time to claim your keyboard back.

Then sell it to me. :D

LOL.  I checked with the guy who's restoring that Lisp Machine and yep, it's still out of commission, but it's also a 30+ year-old machine of which only 5000 were made, so I'll cut him some slack for being slow.

Besides, I probably received lots of keyboard karma for pairing that keyboard with that chassis, even if nothing comes of it.  Those two were meant to be together.  :)

Offline FKSSR

« Reply #37 on: Wed, 18 February 2009, 10:49:42 »
I almost pieced together a retro computer to run only DOS for old school RPGs.  However, the research took too much time that I didn't have, and the project never happened.

Maybe one day....
Add me on Steam | Twitter

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #38 on: Wed, 18 February 2009, 10:51:30 »
How about running "DOS-Box" (I think that's the name of the software)?  Or was the project more for nostalgia reasons?

Offline D-EJ915

« Reply #39 on: Wed, 18 February 2009, 17:36:48 »
I picked up a centris 660av, pretty cool machine.  (what I got the macally keyboard for)  It's got 7.5.1 on it right now.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v104/enthauptet/bin/centris660av_system751.jpg

Offline BigWopHH

• http://www.hothardware.com
« Reply #40 on: Wed, 18 February 2009, 18:39:54 »
  • Topre Realforce 103UB
  • Topre Realforce 87U
  • ABS M1
  • Solidtek ASK-6600U
  • Dell AT101W
  • Das III Pro
  • Scorpious M10
  • Cherry G80-3000LSCRC-2 (Blues)
  • Cherry G80-3000LXCEU-2 (Browns)
  • Unicomp Customizer 104
  • Steelseries 7G
  • Filco Majestouch FKBN104M/EB < Has Become My Daily Driver. Really Diggin\' It.
[/SIZE]

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
« Reply #41 on: Wed, 18 February 2009, 19:46:03 »
Slight correction: The WDC that designed the 65816 was Western Design Center, not Western Digital Corporation. Yes, it does get confusing at times. ;)

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #42 on: Thu, 19 February 2009, 06:14:52 »
Quote from: BigWopHH;22073
Some of my oldies...

http://hothardware.com/Articles/Vintage-PC-Collection/

After seeing your name in the by-line for the article, it confirmed my suspicion on you nick here.  Strong work. :) I am of Sicillian descent myself.

Offline BigWopHH

• http://www.hothardware.com
« Reply #43 on: Thu, 19 February 2009, 09:21:50 »
I'm Calabrese, but that's close enough. :)
  • Topre Realforce 103UB
  • Topre Realforce 87U
  • ABS M1
  • Solidtek ASK-6600U
  • Dell AT101W
  • Das III Pro
  • Scorpious M10
  • Cherry G80-3000LSCRC-2 (Blues)
  • Cherry G80-3000LXCEU-2 (Browns)
  • Unicomp Customizer 104
  • Steelseries 7G
  • Filco Majestouch FKBN104M/EB < Has Become My Daily Driver. Really Diggin\' It.
[/SIZE]

Offline FKSSR

« Reply #44 on: Thu, 19 February 2009, 10:52:05 »
Quote from: itlnstln;22042
How about running "DOS-Box" (I think that's the name of the software)?  Or was the project more for nostalgia reasons?

Yeah, I am using DosBox now.  I haven't messed with it too much, but it seems like a great solution.
Add me on Steam | Twitter

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
« Reply #46 on: Sat, 04 April 2009, 11:30:55 »
And I actually managed to find a RiscPC - in the US, no less.

StrongARM, 96 MiB RAM, 2 MiB (maxed out) VRAM, DMA IDE card (the built-in IDE is PIO,) and a 10 GiB HDD. Oh, and it's in an A7000 (lower-end model, but smaller) case.

(Upside of that is that it's smaller, downside is less expandability, and no CD drive with any expansion cards (such as that DMA IDE card) installed.)

Should be getting it in a little over a week. :D

Offline D-EJ915

« Reply #47 on: Sat, 04 April 2009, 15:23:37 »

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
« Reply #48 on: Tue, 14 April 2009, 16:13:24 »
Posting from the RiscPC. (Forgot to mention in that post that it's got an ethernet card.)

Of course, the podule (expansion card) backplane had come unplugged in transit... and the DMA IDE card needs reconfiguration. But, honestly, it seems fast enough without it that I might yank it, put in a CD drive, and be done with it.

It's actually kinda snappy for what it is, although it's dog slow with Firefox (yes, there's a Firefox port.) I'm using NetSurf right now, though, and it's decent.

Pic of the system: