Author Topic: Powerful windows 8 tablet's  (Read 2227 times)

Offline Carnage

Powerful windows 8 tablet's
« on: Tue, 01 July 2014, 21:44:17 »
Hello everyone~

I'm in the market for a powerful windows 8 tablet that isn't a surface pro 3, running RT OS, or that razer pos (( no offence to anyone who owns it! )). I've been browsing around but without the tablet's processor's being a a website like passmark It's very hard to decide. I'm looking for one that is at least or very close to 10 inches full windows 8 os and can handle running visual studio 2010 and game's like starcraft 2 / skyrim ((or other processor intensive games)) on the lowest setting with 60 fps.

I know that seems like asking for a lot out of a tablet but from what I've seen I think stuff like the surface pro 3 / razer edge pro could handle it but my price range is about 800ish, for not 1000+. I'd also prefer if it had 2 usb ports ((so I could use a nice mouse and a mechanical keyboard.))

I don't have much experience with tablet's besides for cheaper low end ones like kindles / androids. If anybody has any experience or could point me in the right direction at a tablet that fit's this specification's.

Any input would be much appreciated thanks!

(( as a side no I stated no RT because I don't think the RT OS can run games nor can it run visual studio which is my main reason of getting a tablet so I can code during my commute ))
« Last Edit: Wed, 02 July 2014, 16:27:47 by Carnage »

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
Re: Powerful windows 8 tablet's
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 01 July 2014, 23:46:27 »
A lot of the 8" units, and some of the 10" ones, all seem to be based on very similar kit.  (Virtually identical quad-core Atoms, always 2Gb memory, always a 32-bit OS,  and 32/64Gb flash, 90 percent of them include Office for free).  Part of me strongly suspects that Intel and Microsoft are subsidizing the crap out of that particular platform to try to make a dent in Android and iOS tablet sales.

Most of the other tablets out there are much more expensive niche market products-- and even the Surface Pro series counts there.

I wouldn't trust the Atom for gaming as far as I could throw it, but frankly, nothing Intel offers in the tablet-friendly space offers particularly robust graphics performance; if you can find something with an AMD APU, it might do better, but I've seen far fewer tablets with them.

I had a Dell Venue 8 Pro for a couple weeks; I liked the concept but had significant difficulties with my specific unit.

I note that Newegg has gotten fairly aggressive on pricing for the Thinkpad Tablet 2-- it's similar, kit-wise, to the 8" units, but with a 10" screen, and a price well south of four Franklins.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline Carnage

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 16:36:18 »
Thanks for the input hak foo the think pad look's interesting but I'm worried it might struggle when compiling a large c++ source code in visual stuido. The dell venue 8 Is one I looked at slightly till I realized they had a 11 then did some research on that. Sadly I think you are right about Microsoft and intel.

The only tablet I've found that I'm quiet sure would be able to do everything I want it to do is probably the i7 version of the surface pro 3 but with a 1,500 price tag on it I think I'll pass.
« Last Edit: Wed, 02 July 2014, 16:43:10 by Carnage »

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 18:18:40 »
I wouldn't trust the Atom for gaming as far as I could throw it,
Dual-core Atom with NVidia graphics runs the best games from 2008 quite well actually ...
What year is it again?
« Last Edit: Wed, 02 July 2014, 18:20:39 by Findecanor »
🍉

Offline Carnage

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 05 July 2014, 14:30:32 »
Everything I need it for would be 2010+ I.E visual studio 2010 for c++ projects and starcraft 2 and other random games for fun.

Offline vatne

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 05 July 2014, 15:40:53 »
Have you considered the Surface Pro 2, or the original Surface Pro?
The SP went for some crazy low prices at local retailers after the SP2 came out - probably a good chance the same will happen to the SP2.

You're strictly looking at tablets? No hybrids like the Yoga?

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 05 July 2014, 18:27:43 »
None of the MS Surface's have more than one USB port... which kind of defaults the point of getting a Win8 tablet: to use a real keyboard instead of a low-profile kb with sub-mm key travel.
🍉

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 05 July 2014, 23:56:45 »
I ended up getting an Asus Transformer Book.

I's the same spiel as all the 8" tablets, plus or minus, with a 10" 1366x768 screen and a snap-on keyboard dock.  The dockboard is tiny and silly--- smaller than full-size keys, but it  has a sensible layout and also makes a nice clamshell-style protective case for the screen.

It's sort of a baby Surface Pro. except that the full-size USB port is in the dock.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline zeroni13

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 06 July 2014, 02:38:33 »
I have the Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga 2 Pro 13, I'll test Starcraft 2 on it and report back. Any other specific games/programs you want to run?

Edit:
Starcraft 2 actually runs pretty well even on high texture/graphic setting.
« Last Edit: Sun, 06 July 2014, 06:17:12 by zeroni13 »
Phantom with Silver Vortex Case   Keychron Q6 Pro ISO Knob

Offline Carnage

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 18:32:40 »
@vatne @zeroni13

Woah I didn't even consider the yoga. I just looked at it looks awesome. I figured the hybrid's where all bulky pos or flimsy pieces of technological garbage. Thing is there seems to be a lot of people who complain about random problems with the yoga faulty wifi, flimsy charger, screen not responding, etc which sort of deter's me but then there's the heaps of positives reviews. There customer support does seem to be lacking though. I tryed looking for other hybrid's to compare but I couldn't find anything quiet like the yoga.

zeroni when you say "pretty well" do you mean 30 - 40 fps or 50 - 60 (( on low setting's ))

Offline zeroni13

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 12 July 2014, 02:57:35 »
@vatne @zeroni13

Woah I didn't even consider the yoga. I just looked at it looks awesome. I figured the hybrid's where all bulky pos or flimsy pieces of technological garbage. Thing is there seems to be a lot of people who complain about random problems with the yoga faulty wifi, flimsy charger, screen not responding, etc which sort of deter's me but then there's the heaps of positives reviews. There customer support does seem to be lacking though. I tryed looking for other hybrid's to compare but I couldn't find anything quiet like the yoga.

zeroni when you say "pretty well" do you mean 30 - 40 fps or 50 - 60 (( on low setting's ))
Sorry for the wait, on the lowest settings I get 70-80 fps.
Phantom with Silver Vortex Case   Keychron Q6 Pro ISO Knob