Author Topic: gel wrist rest for 10 keyless  (Read 4948 times)

Offline billm

gel wrist rest for 10 keyless
« on: Tue, 18 August 2009, 16:50:32 »
Hey Guys-

I'm looking for a 14" gel wrist rest like the ubiquitous 3m ones, but shorter so it fits in front of a 10 keyless properly. Anybody have any ideas where I could find one?

Thanks
If it's not ALPS it's crap!

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #1 on: Wed, 19 August 2009, 07:39:38 »
Quote from: billm;110447
Hey Guys-

I'm looking for a 14" gel wrist rest like the ubiquitous 3m ones, but shorter so it fits in front of a 10 keyless properly. Anybody have any ideas where I could find one?

Thanks

I seriously doubt you'll find one since Tenkeyless 'boards are not that popular in the mainstream.  Elitekeyboards has leather and memory foam ones that fit, but not gel.  You might find something from leopold.co.kr, but you would have to have a buying service get it for you.

Offline rdjack21

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 19 August 2009, 09:14:26 »
The Filco leather with memory foam wrist rest are very nice. I have two of them. But they are not as soft as a gel wrist rest but they do provide very good support without being hard.
Keyboards
Topre Capacitive: Realforce 87U, Realforce 86U, HHKB Pro 2, Topre MD01B0, Topre HE0100, Sun Short Type, OEM NEO CS (x2), NISSHO Electronics KB106DE
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M Space Saver (1291472), Unicomp Customizer x 2
Cherry Brown: Filco FKBN87M/EB, Compaq MX11800
Black Alps: ABS M1
Not so great boards Rare Spring over dome OKI, Sun rack keyboard

Trackballs - Trackman Wheel (3), Trackman marble (2)
Keyboards I still want to get - Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2 the White version, Realforce 23U number pad in black and maybe white, μTRON ergo board with Topre switches.
Previously owned - [size=0]SiiG MiniTouch (White Alps), Scorpius M10 (Blue Cherry), IBM Model M13[/size]

Offline InSanCen

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 20 August 2009, 04:51:55 »
I wonder if you could modify one... I may look into this, as My wrists are telling me that I will need one soon enough.

I won't be using a tenkeyless version, but the rests are cheap enough to investigate modding one... (And corner the market... world domination plan, step one...)
Currently Using :- IBM M13 1996, Black :
Currently Own :- 1391406 1989 & 1990 : AT Model F 1985 : Boscom 122 (Black) : G80-3000 : G80-1800 (x2) : Wang 724 : G81-8000LPBGB (Card Reader, MY) : Unitek : AT102W : TVS Gold :
Project\'s :- Wang 724 Pink-->White Clicky : USB Model M : IBM LPFK :
Pointing stuff :- Logitech MX-518 : I-One Lynx R-15 Trackball : M13 Nipple : Microsoft Basic Optical\'s
:

Offline rdjack21

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 20 August 2009, 09:32:56 »
I guess you mean modifying one of the Filco rests. I bet you could modify them but just think of all the hand stitching you would have to do to put it back together after cutting the stitching to get it apart. Not sure it would be worth it because they are rather nice the way they are.
Keyboards
Topre Capacitive: Realforce 87U, Realforce 86U, HHKB Pro 2, Topre MD01B0, Topre HE0100, Sun Short Type, OEM NEO CS (x2), NISSHO Electronics KB106DE

Keyboards I still want to get - Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2 the White version, Realforce 23U number pad in black and maybe white, μTRON ergo board with Topre switches.
Previously owned - [size=0]SiiG MiniTouch (White Alps), Scorpius M10 (Blue Cherry), IBM Model M13[/size]

Offline cherrybomb

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 04 September 2009, 21:10:28 »
Quote from: rdjack21;110566
The Filco leather with memory foam wrist rest are very nice. I have two of them. But they are not as soft as a gel wrist rest but they do provide very good support without being hard.

I have the Filco, and it is a high quality wrist rest.  However, overall it is a purchase I regret . . . looks great with the Filco board, though.

Offline rdjack21

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 04 September 2009, 21:27:48 »
Quote from: cherrybomb;114917
I have the Filco, and it is a high quality wrist rest.  However, overall it is a purchase I regret . . . looks great with the Filco board, though.

Why? I love mine. I just love the fact that you can rotate them to get the right height for the keyboard you are typing on at any given time. I use them on all of my keyboards except the HHKB Pro and for that one I use the wood and leather HHKB wrest.
Keyboards

Offline cherrybomb

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 04 September 2009, 22:19:41 »
Quote from: rdjack21;114928
Why? I love mine. I just love the fact that you can rotate them to get the right height for the keyboard you are typing on at any given time. I use them on all of my keyboards except the HHKB Pro and for that one I use the wood and leather HHKB wrest.

I wish it were a little taller.  I know it is a small issue, but there, I said it.  And maybe I don't actually "regret" the purchase.  It certainly does have a lot of good qualities.  My favorite feature is the no-skid bottom surface . . . it stays where you put it, and that alone might justify the purchase price.

I think maybe my wrists are just sore after a long work week, and I'm taking out on the wrist rest.  ;-)

Offline rdjack21

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 04 September 2009, 22:27:03 »
Quote from: cherrybomb;114944
I wish it were a little taller.  I know it is a small issue, but there, I said it.  And maybe I don't actually "regret" the purchase.  It certainly does have a lot of good qualities.  My favorite feature is the no-skid bottom surface . . . it stays where you put it, and that alone might justify the purchase price.

I think maybe my wrists are just sore after a long work week, and I'm taking out on the wrist rest.  ;-)

The key for filco wrist rest is to get it rotated correctly for the board you are on. For instance on my thicker boards say the 86U I rotate so that the thicker part of the rest is the furthest away from the board so that your wrist is resting on that part of it. For a thiner board say like my little Topre board I rotate it so that the thiner part is closer to me so my wrist is lower which puts my fingers at the right height for the thiner board. So play with the rotation a little and find which height works best for the keyboard you are using it with.
Keyboards

Offline cherrybomb

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 04 September 2009, 22:29:52 »
Quote from: rdjack21;114945
The key for filco wrist rest is to get it rotated correctly for the board you are on. For instance on my thicker boards say the 86U I rotate so that the thicker part of the rest is the furthest away from the board so that your wrist is resting on that part of it. For a thiner board say like my little Topre board I rotate it so that the thiner part is closer to me so my wrist is lower which puts my fingers at the right height for the thiner board. So play with the rotation a little and find which height works best for the keyboard you are using it with.

I've been playing with the rotation thingy, but haven't found the right fit yet.  I've only had it for a few weeks now, so maybe all I need is time to figure it out. :-)

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 08 September 2009, 07:43:52 »
I really want to get the Filco rest,  but I love my cheap-a*s "thick-mousepad" type so much, that I feel I might be disappointed if it weren't perfect.

Offline cherrybomb

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 08 September 2009, 07:55:03 »
Quote from: itlnstln;115688
I really want to get the Filco rest,  but I love my cheap-a*s "thick-mousepad" type so much, that I feel I might be disappointed if it weren't perfect.

IMHO, you should stick with what works.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 08 September 2009, 08:13:56 »
Quote from: cherrybomb;115689
IMHO, you should stick with what works.

True that.  Comfort should not be compromised.

Offline ironcoder

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 08 September 2009, 08:29:23 »
Quote from: rdjack21;110566

I have a bunch of gel pads and I haven't tried the leather one, but I think leather would actually be better than the covers you get on gel pads. The covers on the gel pads are abrasive and shave the hairs off your arm where it meets your wrist and gives you that shiny "hey I spend too much time on my keyboards" look, kind of like a 5 o'clock shadow for coders.

I guess the leather would be less abrasive on your skin. How are you finding the comfort?
In the office: Filco 87 Cherry Browns x 2 (one with coffee damage, recovered) ● Lexmark IBM Model M 52G9658 1993 & 1996

Offline rdjack21

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 08 September 2009, 09:02:24 »
I have to say I really like the Filco rests but my favorite is the wood and leather HHKB rest. It is just perfect for typing on the HHKB Pro. What is wild is I've seen this same rest for the 87U as well but I can't find where to get one. Has any one seen where you can get this rest? Here is a picture of it:

I think at some point I'm just going to end up making my own.
Keyboards

Offline JBert

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 09 September 2009, 02:16:24 »
That particular keyboard and wrist rest is/was owned by lam47. See the Topre Realforce 87U with many extras. Like new. classified ad.
I think he made the wrist rest all by himself.
IBM Model F XT + Soarer's USB Converter || Cherry G80-3000/Clears

The storage list:
IBM Model F AT || Cherry G80-3000/Blues || Compaq MX11800 (Cherry brown, bizarre layout) || IBM KB-8923 (model M-style RD) || G81-3010 Hxx || BTC 5100C || G81-3000 Sxx || Atari keyboard (?)

Currently ignored by: nobody?

Disclaimer: we don\'t help you save money on [strike]keyboards[/strike] hardware, rather we make you feel less bad about your expense.
[/SIZE]

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 09 September 2009, 07:58:39 »
Quote from: JBert;116049
I think he made the wrist rest all by himself.

Yes.  Somewhere in the Mods or Reviews forum, he has some pics of it.  I am too busy and lazy to look for them, but if you search, you should find them.  I think they are in a thread about HHKB accessories started by Megarat.

Offline rdjack21

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 09 September 2009, 10:00:37 »
The one in the picture is from a Korean website that sells the 87U and it is shown in all of the marketing material but I have not found where to get the rest. The one lam47 has he made him self after that picture was produced. You will note it has a stamped manufacture name in the leather but I can't read it or I would search for that.

The wood HHKB Pro rest I have I got from megarat and he got it from Japan. Where it is still available but again only for the HHKB Pro not the 87U/86U. My bet is that some Korean vendor had them made. Kinda of like Just(vendor name) had a roll up rest/keyboard cover made for the 87U made but is no longer available.

So like Lam47 I think I will have to make one if I really want one.
Keyboards

Offline rdjack21

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 09 September 2009, 21:35:34 »
Thanks webwit they do have some interesting stuff but they do not have the ten keyless rest. They do have the HHKB Pro hard case and a acrylic rest for the HHKB Pro though.
Keyboards

Offline spremino

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 10 September 2009, 19:58:44 »
Pics here show a wrist rest, maybe they are interesting:

http://hades.arrow.jp/blog/pc/keyboard/
A long space bar... what a waste of space!

Offline rdjack21

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 10 September 2009, 21:38:52 »
That is a ShopU wrist rest. Which looks very similar to the Filco rest but is slightly shorter but the same shape down to the two levels. You can find them here.

FYI: If you did not know the ShopU site is a treasure trove of keyboard information. Not only do they have the currently available boards but they have kept all of the data on discontinued boards. It is the only place you can find some older Japanese boards on the Internet. I've spent days browsing around their site. You can't get to the discontinued board archive from the main page but it is here. Just start clicking on the boxes in the middle of the page. Check out this strange mouse I found while digging around that site:

I think I'm headed over there myself. I just like looking at some of those older boards I find some of them very interesting.
Keyboards