Author Topic: Work PC Build For Friend  (Read 16472 times)

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
Work PC Build For Friend
« on: Mon, 22 June 2015, 10:08:39 »
Okay... I've been out of the game for a while when it comes to building PCs (keyboards only atm). I kinda offered a good friend to build her a work PC after Dell quoted her $1500 for a piece of ****. Now I have zero energy or time to do all the research on the new stuff. I know a bunch of you like doing builds, so could you slap something together real quick on newegg? Or at least just tell me what CPU/mobo combo to get?

Needs:
SSD with decent amount of storage (whether that be on the SSD or a sep HDD)
2 monitors (main one around 27" and a side one vertical for long docs)

She is an appraiser and just does tons of work on a bunch of info sources and documents everywhere. She doesn't need fancy monitors, just functional and large. Does she need a GPU for dual monitor HDMI or do some of the new mobos come with 2 hdmi out? How 'bout if she ends up expanding to 3?

Thanks for your time!
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline SidusNare

• Do, or do not; there is no try.
Re: Work PC Build For Friend
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 22 June 2015, 10:41:39 »
I would get a dedicated GPU, doesn't have to be cutting edge, but dedicated will help the system perform better overall, with graphical effects offloaded to it. Especially with all the gimmicky effects Win 8.1 - 10 do, and you wont take a bite out of the system RAM for the integrated GPU.

I also wouldn't have mixed landscape / portrait, its annoying for me. I have a Nvidia Quadro NVS 450 running 4 24" panels in portrait. I would strongly suggest thin bezels if you do this.

Also, what is the build budget, when building a PC its best to work towards a number, is that $1500 what she wants to spend?
To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection. -- H. Poincare

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 22 June 2015, 10:51:08 »
I would get a dedicated GPU, doesn't have to be cutting edge, but dedicated will help the system perform better overall, with graphical effects offloaded to it. Especially with all the gimmicky effects Win 8.1 - 10 do, and you wont take a bite out of the system RAM for the integrated GPU.

I also wouldn't have mixed landscape / portrait, its annoying for me. I have a Nvidia Quadro NVS 450 running 4 24" panels in portrait. I would strongly suggest thin bezels if you do this.

Also, what is the build budget, when building a PC its best to work towards a number, is that $1500 what she wants to spend?

Ahhhh... of course... budget. No, she doesn't want to spend nearly that. This is a budget build under $1k all included.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157512

Saw this. Does it run multiple monitors? You are saying I should get a GPU anyhow? What should I look for? 2 HDMI out? What are current cheap monitors using these days? Display port?
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline SidusNare

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 22 June 2015, 10:56:23 »
It probably would, but I would put something like this in it
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121855
It looks a bit overkill, but I think it would make a big difference in user experience.
To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection. -- H. Poincare

Offline SidusNare

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 22 June 2015, 10:58:40 »
And thats a decent motherboard, Intel NIC, solid caps.

Slap an i5 or i7 on it, 8+Gig of RAM an SSD OS drive and spinning disk for data and you've got a workstation :-D

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 22 June 2015, 11:30:45 »
Ugh. Now she just texted me she doesn't want an SSD because she can't afford a 1 TB one. I even let her use my PC to see what an SSD does and she isn't interested. Just wants TONS of HDD space as she uses about 1TB at any given time. Doesn't want to bother with multiple drives; scares her.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 22 June 2015, 11:39:20 »
Doesn't want to bother with multiple drives; scares her.

Not having multiple drives scares me.

Convince her to have a huge data drive separate and safe from her OS dirve.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 22 June 2015, 12:03:59 »
Doesn't want to bother with multiple drives; scares her.

Not having multiple drives scares me.

Convince her to have a huge data drive separate and safe from her OS dirve.

She apparently is very good about using her back-up external. Paranoid = good.

If she wants just a 1 TB HDD, that is what she wants.

Here is what I've come up with so far. I think I also may just donate her my old 120gb intel SSD to keep her under budget and because she has been so welcoming of Destiny at her house and with her kids.

Offline SidusNare

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 22 June 2015, 12:12:05 »
I'd put that Nvidia I linked in it, and double down on RAM, you have the slots. You can never go wrong with more RAM.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 22 June 2015, 12:13:48 »
Okay. Now I just need a cheap but reliable 27"ish monitor for main and a smaller side one she insists on having oriented sideways for long legal docs.

Like... this looks good for the side one, but what kind of mount do I need to flip it?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236175
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 June 2015, 12:16:01 by absyrd »

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 22 June 2015, 12:14:34 »
I'd put that Nvidia I linked in it, and double down on RAM, you have the slots. You can never go wrong with more RAM.
Yeah but extra ram can be totally unnecessary. 8GB should be totally fine for a basic work computer, even that's giving her some solid breathing room.
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 22 June 2015, 12:18:29 »
Yeah but extra ram can be totally unnecessary. 8GB should be totally fine for a basic work computer, even that's giving her some solid breathing room.

Yeah. This is far from an enthusiast build. I need simple and reliable and solely for working with data entry and document review. She is a residential appraiser; does nothing else with PC.

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 22 June 2015, 12:35:48 »

Yeah. This is far from an enthusiast build. I need simple and reliable and solely for working with data entry and document review. She is a residential appraiser; does nothing else with PC.

8GB is more than enough RAM for a work setup. I work in IT, doing all manner of things, but a good amount of UI design which can be rather resource intensive. My work PC has 8GB, and I have no complaints. Now my home machine has double that, and I do less on that than I do on my work PC. But that is where you go for the good stuff! No use splurging on work crap, except for the keyboard that is. :)

And since that motherboard can support multiple monitors I wouldn't bother with an extra video card either.

For monitors, I've had an ASUS that has served me well for about 6 or 7 years now, and it was cheap. I would buy it again!
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 22 June 2015, 12:37:46 »

8GB is more than enough RAM for a work setup. I work in IT, doing all manner of things, but a good amount of UI design which can be rather resource intensive. My work PC has 8GB, and I have no complaints. Now my home machine has double that, and I do less on that than I do on my work PC. But that is where you go for the good stuff! No use splurging on work crap, except for the keyboard that is. :)

And since that motherboard can support multiple monitors I wouldn't bother with an extra video card either.

For monitors, I've had an ASUS that has served me well for about 6 or 7 years now, and it was cheap. I would buy it again!

2 of these things looks like a killer deal. (Ivanlysol also recommended just getting monitors with prebuilt tilt and swivel)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236362

Offline inanis

• * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 22 June 2015, 12:49:10 »

2 of these things looks like a killer deal. (Ivanlysol also recommended just getting monitors with prebuilt tilt and swivel)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236362

Yeah, that is what I would be looking at if I was in the market for a monitor. I'm not particularly snobby about my screens, as long as the resolution is good, it is HDCP compliant, and there are two of them, I'm happy. I totally agree that they should always have tilt and swivel (unless you are wall mounting it, then I guess that doesn't matter so much). As a short person, I like my monitors low, and if I can't adjust it nice and low, I go crazy. Never buy a monitor that isn't HDCP compliant. At some point you are going to want to watch and/or do something that will throw an error if it is not. Only the really cheap ones aren't compliant though.
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 June 2015, 13:51:18 by inanis »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 22 June 2015, 13:46:04 »

z97 mobo, something around $200 for max reliability, or ~$120 if you know what you're doing to tune for stability

2x 8gb ram stix, $90

nvidia gtx 970

Those are the key components,  go cheap on the case

Get at least 1x 512gb 850 PRO,  do not get the EVO, if this is for work..

fill out the rest to $1500

Offline inanis

• * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 22 June 2015, 13:50:57 »

z97 mobo, something around $200 for max reliability, or ~$120 if you know what you're doing to tune for stability

2x 8gb ram stix, $90

nvidia gtx 970

That is some unnecessarily crazy ass specs for a work machine where the main function is browsing the web and editing word documents!

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 22 June 2015, 13:57:03 »
It is tp4. I don't expect him to actually read what I need.

And he didn't even factor in e-dox cost. He is slippin' on his game.

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 22 June 2015, 14:03:19 »

2x 8gb ram stix, $90

nvidia gtx 970

That is some unnecessarily crazy ass specs for a work machine where the main function is browsing the web and editing word documents!

agreed. swap for an i5 previous gen and a refurbed GT640 and you'll still have a perfectly usable work machine for 40% less.
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 22 June 2015, 14:04:26 »

well no he's gonna come up with some crazy reason why all of that is necessary. just wait

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 22 June 2015, 14:08:00 »

well no he's gonna come up with some crazy reason why all of that is necessary. just wait

You didn't know this was a thread just designed to seduce him into ****posting?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 22 June 2015, 14:32:37 »
Mine is similar to what you posted already:

KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Lurch

• The only good system is a sound system.
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 22 June 2015, 14:35:55 »
Quote from: Flyersfan1
im so glad you've stopped flipping the spacebar

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 22 June 2015, 14:38:19 »

Show Image

Nice build, jd! Def would be overkill for her, but if I had the cash to do a new PC, I'd go very similar. :D

i like http://pcpartpicker.com/

I did not know that existed. I will def use it to show her what I'm going to build. Thanks, Lurch.

Offline abswyfe

• I <3 Geekhack
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 22 June 2015, 14:40:10 »

Show Image

Come out and play tp4 you chump
I'm feeling down and need some entertainment
Thank you all Destiny supporters and all you fun people in off topic! I think I will try to stick around for a while!

Offline Lurch

• The only good system is a sound system.
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 22 June 2015, 15:07:38 »

Show Image

Nice build, jd! Def would be overkill for her, but if I had the cash to do a new PC, I'd go very similar. :D

i like http://pcpartpicker.com/

I did not know that existed. I will def use it to show her what I'm going to build. Thanks, Lurch.

No problem dude! Glad I could help. I was kind of surprised that no one mentioned it already. ^-^
Quote from: Flyersfan1
im so glad you've stopped flipping the spacebar

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 22 June 2015, 15:19:12 »
Damn close to your $1000 budget, with a dedicated GPU, Win 8.1, and your dual ASUS 27" monitors.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3zGgcf
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 22 June 2015, 15:24:12 »
Damn close to your $1000 budget, with a dedicated GPU, Win 8.1, and your dual ASUS 27" monitors.

Definite option. I showed her my "mid tower" case and she wants smaller, though. Hence I went with the micro atx and mini tower.

Thanks for taking the time to show me that.  :thumb:

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 22 June 2015, 15:29:10 »

Definite option. I showed her my "mid tower" case and she wants smaller, though. Hence I went with the micro atx and mini tower.

Thanks for taking the time to show me that.  :thumb:

No problem. :)

I had my mATX E5200 build in a Cougar Spike case. Definitely not tall, but not everyone likes the look of it.

The Rosewill Ranger-M looks pretty nice.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/cKbHt6
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 June 2015, 15:45:43 by jdcarpe »

in memoriam

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 22 June 2015, 17:48:12 »
I would get one with higher PPI unless she plans to sit a long way from the monitor or she has poor eye sight. I find 100 PPI to be the "normal" now.

Of course it should be IPS or VA panel, have prebuilt height-adjustment, tilt and swivel, and VESA mount. You shouldn't expect anything less in 2015.
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 June 2015, 20:20:34 by Findecanor »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 22 June 2015, 19:09:54 »

Show Image

the 4790k  is the highest bin of ALL the 4xxx series chips,  EVEN without overclocking, it's the fastest chip out there.

Highest bin, also means it is several percentage points more stable at stock voltage..

Even without a voltage bump, the 4790k can do ~4.4 ghz..

In today's world..  Seconds saved during computing turns into minutes, hours, days, weeks, months, YEARS..

That is the fundamental reason why they still make ever faster computers, despite lack of programmers to take advantage of the hardware..

The Computer is the one inescapable time sink in the modern world....   It makes the greatest sense to get THE FASTEST thing out there,   ESPECIALLY given a budget supplied by an employer..

It may be ON THE JOB,  but that's still your time value..  use it to read a book, look at pr0n, play a game, enjoy something, learn something,  DOESn't really matter,   It's better than waiting for electrons to finish getting into place..

Let the computer wait for YOU,  not the other way around..    Ludites who sit on OLD hardware are throwing their life away..

Please read my Original---------     Overclocking = Timetravel Thread.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=61160.0

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 22 June 2015, 19:26:36 »
Yep, that's what I was waiting for

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 22 June 2015, 20:16:03 »
Yep, that's what I was waiting for

Same  :rolleyes:

Back in the real world:
[PCPartPicker part list](http://pcpartpicker.com/p/88r83C) / [Price breakdown by merchant](http://pcpartpicker.com/p/88r83C/by_merchant/)

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
**CPU** | [Intel Core i3-4130T 2.9GHz Dual-Core Processor](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-cpu-bx80646i34130t) | $112.99 @ SuperBiiz
**Motherboard** | [ASRock H97M Anniversary Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asrock-motherboard-h97manniversary) | $64.89 @ OutletPC
**Memory** | [Team Elite Plus 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/team-memory-tpd38g1600c11dc01) | $43.99 @ Newegg
**Storage** | [Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/seagate-internal-hard-drive-st3000dm001) | $88.41 @ Amazon
**Video Card** | [XFX Radeon HD 5450 1GB Video Card](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-video-card-hd545xzqh2) | $18.99 @ SuperBiiz
**Case** | [Rosewill Line-M MicroATX Mini Tower Case](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/rosewill-case-linem) | $39.99 @ Amazon
**Power Supply** | [Rosewill Capstone 550W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/rosewill-power-supply-capstone550) | $39.99 @ Newegg
**Optical Drive** | [Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/samsung-optical-drive-sh224dbbebe) | $14.98 @ OutletPC
**Operating System** | [Microsoft Windows 8.1 OEM (64-bit)](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/microsoft-os-wn700615) | $86.98 @ OutletPC
**Other**| monitor stand| $18.19
**Other**| LG 24MB35PU-B Black 24" 5ms IPS-Panel| $140.00
**Other**| LG 27MP33HQ Black 27"| $190.00
**Other**| monitor stand| $18.19
 | *Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts* |
 | Total (before mail-in rebates) | $927.59
 | Mail-in rebates | -$50.00
 | **Total** | **$877.59**
 | Generated by [PCPartPicker](http://pcpartpicker.com) 2015-06-22 21:12 EDT-0400 |

This would be a great work station.  Low wattage processor/fanless gpu for low noise.  mATX mobo and small case for a smaller footprint.  27" main monitor and 24" for horizontal side unit - both IPS for good off angle viewing.  Monoprice stands for each to get them exactly where they need to be and clear off the desk space.  3TB of storage (even though I still recommend having a 120GB SSD with the os on it). 
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #33 on: Mon, 22 June 2015, 20:25:55 »
lack of programmers to take advantage of the hardware..
Programmers that "take advantage" of the hardware do not exhibit prowess, they exhibit laziness.

The fact that we experience stuttering text fields and slowdown in interface animations today, when 2 GHz dual-core is the lowest tier, while we didn't do that back in 1995 when 20 MHz single-core was the norm, is just crap.

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 23 June 2015, 13:35:32 »
Do you have access to a Microcenter store?  You can get a great deal on cpu/motherboard combo in-store there.  Might even consider an AMD since she doesn't need much horsepower.. an APU chip and motherboard is pretty cheap.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 23 June 2015, 13:40:24 »
Do you have access to a Microcenter store?  You can get a great deal on cpu/motherboard combo in-store there.  Might even consider an AMD since she doesn't need much horsepower.. an APU chip and motherboard is pretty cheap.

It's impossible to beat an Intel build  on Price/Performance..

When you consider the TOTAL system cost,  the difference being only the Mobo and CPU,  the Intel might be ~ $50-100  more ,  but it will have Double the performance per clock..

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #36 on: Tue, 23 June 2015, 14:10:35 »
You can get an apu/mobo for about $100 at microcenter.. and you don't need to factor in performance for this machine.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 23 June 2015, 14:23:26 »
You can get an apu/mobo for about $100 at microcenter.. and you don't need to factor in performance for this machine.

Totally forgot microcenter. And it is right on my route to hospital.

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #38 on: Tue, 23 June 2015, 14:28:37 »
Definitely go there for their in-store deal on cpu/motherboard, can't beat the price for those parts.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #39 on: Tue, 23 June 2015, 15:53:57 »
Totally forgot microcenter.

What!

There is a Micro Center 20 minutes from my house and that is the only place where I even consider buying computer gear (except keyboards).
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #40 on: Tue, 23 June 2015, 16:33:09 »

?   Not factor in Performance ?   

Offline jamster

« Reply #41 on: Wed, 24 June 2015, 06:46:34 »
Didn't read more than the first 10ish posts so not sure if this has been mentioned:

If she doesn't want a 1TB SSD, consider a 1TB SSHD (HDD + a chunk of solid state storage buffer). Won't be as fast as pure SSD, but it should boot up and load apps faster than a HDD. I think that it's only Seagate that make these.

Someone mentioned getting a dedicated graphics card. I would disagree with this as a misuse of budget- I ran 2 monitors off CPU graphics (Intel HD4000 or whatever the built in graphics are) for a year before getting a discrete graphics card for games. Did I notice any difference in non-gaming peformance? Not at all. If I had to build another PC just for work, I certainly would not bother with discrete graphics.

Dunno about running three screens, but I suspect it's a matter of available ports rather than 2D graphics power. At work the only time we'd get into discrete graphics cards was for 4-8 monitor setups (but then people would only ever run 2 monitors, or 4+).
« Last Edit: Wed, 24 June 2015, 06:50:30 by jamster »

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #42 on: Wed, 24 June 2015, 09:09:05 »

Totally forgot microcenter. And it is right on my route to hospital.

I don't see you getting a cheaper deal than getting an a6-7400k for $60 and getting a motherboard for $10 (with a $10 rebate, so free after rebate.. but I hate rebates), you could even step it up to a a10-7700k for $90 and still get the apu/mobo for $100 total and be able to easily forgo a GPU since she doesn't game.

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #43 on: Wed, 24 June 2015, 09:11:44 »
I don't usually advocate for getting AMD stuff either,  I personally have a 3570k and a gtx 970 in my computer.. I'm not just some sort of AMD fanboy.  But you can't argue with how cheap you can get an APU and motherboard for at microcenter for the type of workload you are talking about.

Offline PicklesKill

« Reply #44 on: Wed, 24 June 2015, 09:33:10 »
I built my workstation with the AMD 6core its not a crazy fast Intel but it does an amazing job when it comes to multitasking. It ran me around 109 for that CPU, just my two cents.  ;D

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #45 on: Wed, 24 June 2015, 09:47:32 »
While I am not a gamer, I am a serious user of a variety of programs, some of them CPU-intensive.

I have been using AMD gear almost exclusively for at least a decade and have been very pleased with it.

One valuable habit is that I always close unnecessary windows and try to run as "lean and clean" as possible.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #46 on: Wed, 24 June 2015, 09:48:34 »
These are pretty good deals, if you just want to buy something, rather than build.

http://flash.newegg.com/Product/N82E16883227537

http://flash.newegg.com/Product/N82E16883227597

in memoriam

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #47 on: Wed, 24 June 2015, 11:43:09 »
Here is what I would go with for a workstation. You can get Windows 8.1 keys for around $25 if you buy from G2A.com.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($166.95 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H97M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($66.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Team Elite Plus 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($43.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($69.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: PNY Quadro NVS 450 512MB Video Card  ($257.48 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 350W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($38.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer  ($14.98 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Asus VN289H 60Hz 28.0" Monitor   
Monitor: Asus VN289H 60Hz 28.0" Monitor  ($189.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $879.24
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-24 12:42 EDT-0400
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #48 on: Wed, 24 June 2015, 12:11:01 »
Here is what I would go with for a workstation. You can get Windows 8.1 keys for around $25 if you buy from G2A.com.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H97M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($66.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($69.89 @ OutletPC)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 350W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($38.99 @ SuperBiiz)

why in gods name would he need a quadro video card in a pc used for looking at text documents...

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #49 on: Wed, 24 June 2015, 13:01:47 »

why in gods name would he need a quadro video card in a pc used for looking at text documents...

It's not a render card, it's designed for multiple monitors. If she only ends up using two, then you can step it down.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170