Author Topic: Need help finding the right tools  (Read 2821 times)

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
Need help finding the right tools
« on: Mon, 11 January 2016, 02:19:06 »
OK, this is a plumbing question rather than an electronics one. But the combined brainpower of geeks is quite something to see, so I'm sure I can get good answers here.

What happened is that my mixer tap broke. I'm a few months away from moving house, so I don't feel like calling in a plumber. I also have no good experiences with these people, so might as well learn to do my own repairs using tools I can buy from Qo1 00.sg, rakuten, or whatever online source.

I have a tool (I think) is called a plumbing wrench. This is good for regular taps. It is too small for the mixer tap.

The mixer tap is stuck in the underside of the sink cabinet. It can't be reached except by specialized tools. Note how narrow the hole is. A standard basin wrench/ sink wrench head cannot fit inside eg http://plumbing.about.com/od/basics/ss/How-To-Use-A-Basin-Wrench.htm

I need to find out what is the tool that unscrews the mixer tap so that I can put in a new mixer tap. I also need to know how to measure that needed size so I know what to specify when buying online.

Please give whatever ideas you have! Names are VERY important, because without the right names I can't search for the correct tools. Thanks all!
« Last Edit: Mon, 11 January 2016, 02:22:50 by berserkfan »
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Need help finding the right tools
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 11 January 2016, 07:00:17 »
How did they get it in there?

It looks like it is shifted to the side of the hole. Is there some way to force it back to the center of the hole so that you have more space all around? Perhaps break the caulking/sealant loose and use a pry bar and brute force to move it 1-2 cm?
« Last Edit: Mon, 11 January 2016, 07:07:07 by fohat.digs »
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 11 January 2016, 07:43:57 »
Taps are screwed beneath the basin, so you have to remove that wooden panel to physically reach the nuts.
A plumbing wrench could do the work, but it's generally used for tubes rather that taps. It might be easier with a tap spanner (also commonly called parrot wrench).
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 11 January 2016, 09:23:37 »
How did they get it in there?

It looks like it is shifted to the side of the hole. Is there some way to force it back to the center of the hole so that you have more space all around? Perhaps break the caulking/sealant loose and use a pry bar and brute force to move it 1-2 cm?

No, i'm pretty sure there was no shifting. The carpenter probably made a mistake and did some ad hoc remaking, thinking that no one would ever see this.

Talking tree, there are plumbing tools (such as the metal tube you see in one of my photos) that you can thread through the water tubes to reach the nut. Problem is I don't know the name, no one in this country seems to know the name, and everyone in the hardware shops is just selling the metal tubes for a few bucks but not the correct size I need. Without the correct name and size I can't order online.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 11 January 2016, 09:35:25 »
there are plumbing tools (such as the metal tube you see in one of my photos) that you can thread through the water tubes to reach the nut. Problem is I don't know the name,

That sort of thing is used to install heater elements that are submerged in water. Something like this?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-5-in-Element-Wrench-15016/205680998?cm_mmc=Shopping|THD|G|0|G-BASE-PLA-D26P-WaterHeaters|&gclid=CjwKEAiAws20BRCs-P-ssLbSlg4SJABbVcDps1fvvMsywreqEeDIKZH_CjfaoBOSLPVhh5tCnccnpBoCa3zw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 11 January 2016, 10:48:24 »
there are plumbing tools that you can thread through the water tubes to reach the nut.
Do you mean this?

It is called Jaw Dropper Wrench. I believe only Armeg Ltd. makes this wrench and it's pricey.

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 11 January 2016, 11:08:08 »
there are plumbing tools that you can thread through the water tubes to reach the nut.
Do you mean this?

Show Image

It is called Jaw Dropper Wrench. I believe only Armeg Ltd. makes this wrench and it's pricey.

Thanks a lot for the suggestion. Yeah, I've never seen it online before. A bit too specialized - take too much time and money to get it into my hands.

Fohat has hit upon something that probably is what I'm looking for. A box spanner/ tubular nut. Or else a sink/ pipe wrench. The problem is that sources in English are split between US and UK English and I'm using the UK English names. This being Singapore, we use a mix of either. And then most workers are Chinese and pretty unprofessional since we don't have a professional culture for most manual work. It's quite a mess trying to find the correct tool.

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 11 January 2016, 14:07:08 »
Alternatively, you can try your luck with a ratcheting wrench and a pipe socket with some sort of extender.