Author Topic: [IC] Alps Party Massif: TK + TKL  (Read 93413 times)

Offline BlueNalgene

[IC] Alps Party Massif: TK + TKL
« on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 16:41:03 »

Since apparently I didn't learn my lesson last time, I'm going to run another Alps Party GB.  Several folks have asked about running another one.  I could have done another 60%, but I wanted to branch out to make more options available for us Alps lovers.  Unfortunately, that means I have a new set of challenges ahead of me.  So here is a rundown of what I have planned.

The boards will be very similar to hasu's 60% PCB.  I really like the ease of use of his work, and I want to emulate it.  As such, the boards will use the ATMega32u2 chip, and will be designed to be compatible with his firmware.  I want the boards to be customizable for the tinkerers and so easy to use that you could give your dear old grandma a soldering iron and set her loose with it.  I plan on doing like before, making everything available in a single package so you are ready to build out of the box.

The boards are going to be designed so that folks can get the TKL standalone, as I expect will be rather popular.  The tenkey will be separate and can be used independently.  The tenkey will be given a USB hub, so that the TKL board or one of your choosing can plug into it without having to clog up your USB slots on the computer side.  As a bonus, you will be able to plug in other things like your mouse with the same abilities.

Dom - 32T 411879 5105234 - This is the smaller TK board.  The hub will not require any programming to use.  I have chosen to use a TUSB2046B as the hub.  This is a state machine, not a proper IC.  This means that it will just work as is.  The USB power is going to be distributed by a TPS2044B chip.  This will automatically turn on the power to the plugged in devices so it doesn't waste while unused.  Note that this will be designed as an unpowered hub.  This means that devices plugged into it will only receive about 100mA, and therefore it will be unsuitable for charging things like your phone.  I could always change the design to use a wall wart, but that seemed like overkill for this application.  Additionally, this board will have some more glue electronics like a second oscillator, an LDO, and extra resistors.  I'm planning on making the board a column longer than is usually used for the TK you would see on a standard ANSI board.  I made this so that tinkerers can add in cool things like a backspace and other keys to their TK.

Rosa - 32T 412174 5087653 - This is the TKL board.  The design will be really similar to hasu's 60%, just with more rows and columns.  I plan on making it so that it fits the extant cases available for TKL boards, since there are plenty available to choose from.  Like my last GB, plates will be available for several different layouts.  Right now I am planning Dell ANSI, Dell stepped ANSI, AEKII ANSI, Dell ISO, HHKB-esque, and Infinity-esque.  People who remember my previous stuff will notice that there are a few missing.  This is because some layouts such as the Dell stepped ISO were much less popular.  If you really want this, just tell me, and I will add it to the list.  My cutting guys were cool about doing lots of different ones.  I'm just lazy, and I don't want to make schematics that won't be used.

My current plan for this project will be the following:

Design TK PCB
Design TK plate(s?)
Use OSHpark and BigBlueSaw to prototype TK
Design TKL PCB
Design TKL plates
Design cases
Find out if anyone around me can cut cases for a reasonable price (this is an unknown at this point)
Set up LLC (I don't want to deal with awkward taxes like this year)
Start GB
Fork hasu's firmware for this project
Order components
Order semi-assembled boards from AdvancedPCB (I used them for my PhD boards)
Order plates cut
Order switches and stabs from Matias
Order shipping supplies
Ship

FAQ

Q: What will be the MOQ?
A: I don't know.  The assembly turn-key will probably require a certain number of boards to be economical, but it is too early to get a quote on that.  The switches will probably work like last time, with 9600 being the magic number for the best price.  Plates will probably be around 25.  Note that these numbers are all just guesses at this point.

Q: How much will it cost?
A: Too early to tell.

Q: Will you be offering powdercoating?
A: Maybe.  Does everyone want that again?  I was happy with how mine turned out for the 60%.

Q: Will I need to bend my own stabilizer wires?
A: Hopefully not.  I'm going to design the plates with the available measurements for stabs harvested from classic boards and the slightly different sizes that Matias uses for maximum compatibility. 

Q: Will you be including caps?
A: No.  There are plenty of options out there for you though.  The plates will be designed to work with caps harvested from common boards like the AT101 and the AEKII.  Tai-hao recently released some Alps doubleshot caps that are pretty nice.  Alpine Winter has already passed, but that set was designed for the 60%.  I think that with this project going forward, it would be the perfect time for someone to do a GB for some Alps caps, but I won't be running it.  I don't have any experience with that process, and it would be best left to someone else.

Q: Can I make a small order if I just need something simple?
A: Yes.  Like last time, if you just need a set of stabs, you are welcome to join the GB for just that. 

Q: Can I trust you?
A: Probably.  I ran a very successful GB for the Alps Party 60%, so I have some precedent.  I also have been around GH for a while, and people will vouch for me being reliable.  It is unlikely I will abscond with your money. 

Q: Will this be available to other communities?
A: Yes.  The GB will go live on DT and /r/mk as well.  Everyone is welcome in my projects.

Q: Will this be non-profit/donation based like last time?
A: No.  The last one was non-profit because I had ulterior motives for doing it, and I was using other peoples design.  This time, things like plates and PCBs will be designed by me. 

Q: So these are going to be expensive?
A: No.  I still want to provide an inexpensive product, and this will be sold with very low markup.  I just won't be reinjecting any profit into the community like after the Alps Party 60%

Q: Can I use your designs to make things?
A: Pretty much.  After things get going, you can PM me for any of the designs.  As long as you are going to make stuff for personal use, I'm totally fine with that.  I even encourage it.  However, making money off my designs or redistributing them will not be allowed.

Q: Will you be making artisan caps for this GB?
A: Maybe.  I have some already sculpted.  Let's wait and see what my schedule looks like when that time comes.

Q: When will this GB go live?
A: When it is ready.  I don't like deadlines.  You can gauge how many steps have been completed from the list.  Be aware that I am in the middle of getting my Ph.D, so I already work ~60 hours per week.  This is not my full time gig. 

Q: What is the best way to contact you?
A: PM.  I get an email every time somebody PM's me, so I am aware of it when you contact me.  See the previous answer for my busy schedule though.

Q: There is something I want that you haven't mentioned (e.g. a special layout).  What do I do?
A: Ask!  I am very obliging.

Progress:

April 25th 2016: I put together a schematic for the TK this afternoon.  The only incomplete portion is the reset switch on the hub.  I'm not sure how the device handles that, so I will probably solve that tomorrow.
More

April 28th 2016: Completed schematic to design netlist association in KiCAD.  The current design looks like this.

I had hoped to finish laying it out this evening, but it is late and I'm hungry.

May 2nd 2016: Completed Dom PCB and ordered prototypes.

May 3rd, 2016: I made a prospective case for the Dom tenkey pad. 

The built in standoffs will use 3/8" 4-40 screws.  There is a 5mm thick space below the plane where the PCB will sit so soldering doesn't touch the metal.  There is a 13mm space for the PCB (final will probably be 1.6mm thick), plate, and switches.  The interior has 0.5 mm clearance on each side so there is wiggle room for caps.  The outer edges have a chamfer, the while everything else uses fillet.  The case is 180 degree, aka flat.  There are 4-40 screw holes on the bottom so you can mount feet of your choosing on them.  I plan on making 11 degree angled risers to accompany this case which may be attached with 1/2" 4-40 screws.  There is one slot for the micro USB output, and 3 slots for USB input. 

Also, done today.  To accommodate requests for Monterey Alps support, I have made a pad which supports both SKCM Alps as well as the SMK pins.

May 13th, 2016: The OSH Park prototypes of DOM came in the mail.

May 27th, 2016: The TKL PCB is nearing completion.

It has nice features like a diode reference

Teensy 2.0 support.

Prototyping support.

June 3rd, 2016: Layouts being vetted for cutting.
More

« Last Edit: Mon, 06 June 2016, 12:55:55 by BlueNalgene »

Offline need

Re: [IC] Alps Party Massif: TK + TKL
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 16:45:51 »
I'm interested in buying the Rosa TKL please, thanks.

DON'T DO SKELETON!
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 April 2016, 16:48:05 by need »

Offline joey

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 16:50:02 »
Paging jbondeson

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 17:09:44 »
Hey, that'd be cool!

Offline McPwned

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 17:30:06 »
The numpad is of interest to me.  If switches are an option, all the better if I can get some Matias linears.

Edit: also a case would be nice
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 April 2016, 17:34:24 by McPwned »

Offline gain

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 17:41:06 »
yessssss

Offline jbondeson

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 17:53:28 »
Paging jbondeson

Haha, been gone all day and come back to such a nice surprise

^-^

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 18:08:07 »
Ayyyy, registered excitement :D

Offline emdude

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 18:12:44 »
Might be interested in the numpad..  :)
Current drivers: IBM Model M SSK

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 18:23:11 »
Definitely interested

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline laughatpain

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 18:25:58 »
Im on the alps hype train, but i want to see the case

Offline Spaceman1200

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 19:24:03 »
My poor wallet....

Offline rand77

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 19:40:26 »
Would be onboard as well. 

Offline braidn

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 20:23:55 »
Very much so! Bring it on Blue

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 20:36:00 »
So Blue, I'm not sure what your plans are for case and PCB, but something that fits in the replacement Filco/KBP cases would be awesome. And you could even make it compatible with the Pegasus Hoof and Kitten Paw.

IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 21:06:06 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 15:25:45 by alienman82 »

Offline lootbag

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 21:25:17 »
Nice timing... my Zenith Z-150 arrived in pretty much 100 pieces.
I can harvest the switches for something.

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 22:43:19 »
Hype phase is over.  Wall of text added to the OP with the nitty gritty for what I have planned.

Offline Venatorious

• Gotta Start Somewhere
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 23:04:18 »
hnnnnnggg

Offline LunarisDream

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 23:08:13 »
Not another masterful scheme for the gf this time?

Offline McPwned

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 23:21:09 »
Hype phase is over.  Wall of text added to the OP with the nitty gritty for what I have planned.
You mention that caps from (for example) an AT101 will work, but the schematic for the numpad is a grid layout.  Does the schematic just not reflect support for 2u keys, or am I missing something?

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 26 April 2016, 01:27:04 »
You mention that caps from (for example) an AT101 will work, but the schematic for the numpad is a grid layout.  Does the schematic just not reflect support for 2u keys, or am I missing something?

That's an unlabeled schematic.  I haven't moved into the technical drawing yet, but you can expect that not all slots will be used for every layout.  The PCB will reflect this by having multiple holes available for certain keys (e.g. enter) to accommodate those who want a vertical 2u and those who, for whatever reason, want something like a 1u with something else above it.

Offline need

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 26 April 2016, 05:41:41 »

Hasu's PCB doesn't support this, but I really want this ISO layout possible.

Offline tjweir

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 26 April 2016, 08:19:13 »
Split spacebar?

Offline itzmeluigi

• ПБТ
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 26 April 2016, 08:37:36 »
Show Image

+1 Id also like to use that layout if possible.

Offline StormyMonday

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 26 April 2016, 09:28:42 »
So Blue, I'm not sure what your plans are for case and PCB, but something that fits in the replacement Filco/KBP cases would be awesome. And you could even make it compatible with the Pegasus Hoof and Kitten Paw.

Filco Zero clone PCB?

Yummy!!!

Offline SJHL

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 26 April 2016, 10:19:52 »
Im interested in the TK!

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 26 April 2016, 11:39:23 »
Show Image

Correct, the ISO AEKII isn't supported by hasu's current version.  I'll see if it is feasible for my design.

Offline need

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 26 April 2016, 13:41:56 »
Show Image

Correct, the ISO AEKII isn't supported by hasu's current version.  I'll see if it is feasible for my design.
Good to hear you'll consider it  :)

That would be a life saver to many of us especially in EU, where the US version is really hard to get hold of. However ISO is in abundance here.

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 26 April 2016, 15:59:01 »
Well... my girlfriend did ask me when I was going to build her a keyboard with those mountain caps since she is an Alpinist (or a mountaineer as the Americans call it).
Guess it is time I roll up my sleeves. :D

P.s. Love the Q&A bit.
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 27 April 2016, 03:43:54 »
I'm in if the following requests can be done:

• Aluminum case OR compatibility with current aluminum TKL cases
  • "standard" ANSI layout AND "Apple" ANSI layout

I really want a custom metal Alps TKL and I'd love to be able to use both Tai Hao caps and the AEK caps on them just by shifting a switch or two over.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline tintoret

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 27 April 2016, 12:50:52 »
Love this idea. Just got in on the re-up for Alps64, but would probably be down for this depending on when it goes it goes live.

Alpine Winter has already passed, but that set was designed for the 60%.  I think that with this project going forward, it would be the perfect time for someone to do a GB for some Alps caps, but I won't be running it.  I don't have any experience with that process, and it would be best left to someone else.

If there isn't another run of Alpine Winter in connection with this, maybe something like Alpine Meadow?
I did a quick mockup in VV and YCC, with the same additions as Winter. And hopefully with the mountain legends for Win keys.

More

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 27 April 2016, 12:53:20 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 15:23:54 by alienman82 »

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 27 April 2016, 20:30:46 »
Pics or I don't believe it.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline StormyMonday

« Reply #34 on: Thu, 28 April 2016, 11:20:37 »
Alpine MeadowTM is a capitol idea. :thumb: I quite like the VCC, but VV seems just a touch dark to me. How do you feel about VAG?

It also seems to me that the meadow should contain some wildflowers ... a wee splash of color, if you will. I've been playing around with a few ideas for the escape key, arrow keys and etc., but I haven't found anything that trips my trigger ... yet.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #35 on: Thu, 28 April 2016, 14:59:47 »
I love the idea of continuing the Alpine theme, especially having it designed and led by someone else, which shows this is really a community-driven project. I like the colors, too.

My boards:
More

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #36 on: Thu, 28 April 2016, 20:28:42 »
Progress update in OP

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #37 on: Fri, 29 April 2016, 14:26:24 »
Opinion Request: What layouts do you want with a tenkey?

Just the basics?

The basics with a little extra?

Ortho?

Gamepad?

These are just mockups made with Swill's, not the final designs.
« Last Edit: Fri, 29 April 2016, 14:43:38 by BlueNalgene »

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #38 on: Fri, 29 April 2016, 14:30:10 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 15:20:54 by alienman82 »

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #39 on: Fri, 29 April 2016, 14:35:06 »

Just the basics?
Show Image

Show Image

Ortho?
Show Image

Gamepad?
Show Image

What's the difference basics and basics with the extra? The game pad is also really neat, but probably won't be as heavily ordered as the basics/basics+extra.

Offline emdude

« Reply #40 on: Fri, 29 April 2016, 14:39:04 »
Yeah, I am wondering the same thing.  I think you meant the basic+extra TK to have an additional row?

Edit: I think I would take either a regular TK or the one with the extra row.  Leaning towards the former though.
« Last Edit: Fri, 29 April 2016, 14:54:47 by emdude »
Current drivers: IBM Model M SSK

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #41 on: Fri, 29 April 2016, 14:43:50 »

Just the basics?
Show Image

Show Image

Ortho?
Show Image

Gamepad?
Show Image

What's the difference basics and basics with the extra? The game pad is also really neat, but probably won't be as heavily ordered as the basics/basics+extra.

Yeah, I am wondering the same thing.  I think you meant the basic+extra TK to have an additional row?

fixed

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #42 on: Fri, 29 April 2016, 14:45:12 »
Also, the gamepad is a bit of a goof.  I have no idea if anyone would actually want it, but I want people to tell me what they would like to see, thinking outside of the box of your standard tenkey.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #43 on: Fri, 29 April 2016, 15:37:13 »
Keycaps are already hard enough to find for Alps, so I think the gamepad layout is a bad idea in that respect.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #44 on: Fri, 29 April 2016, 19:27:52 »
Basic keypad with the 4 extra keys on top. Let's not get too fancy here.

My boards:
More

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #45 on: Sat, 30 April 2016, 00:58:10 »
Interested for sure.
Wang 725-3770 SKCM Brown, 1995
Zenith 163-73 - SKCM Blue, 1990
KBP V60 MTS - SKCM Amber w/ Canon HiPros
IBM P77, SKCC Green, 1984
IBM P70 - Alps Plate Spring, 1989
Compaq MX 11800, MX Black, 1997

Offline SJHL

« Reply #46 on: Sat, 30 April 2016, 10:07:30 »

Offline phoible

« Reply #47 on: Sat, 30 April 2016, 16:18:57 »
Will this support sideways mounting of the FN switches so that they are compatible with the AEKII keycaps?

Offline rand77

« Reply #48 on: Sun, 01 May 2016, 01:07:47 »
Probably basic, as keycaps might be an issue.   Always a pain sourcing key caps for Alps projects.

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #49 on: Sun, 01 May 2016, 10:01:31 »
Basics + extra. It would make for a really useful addition.
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread