Author Topic: Speeding up that mouse a little more  (Read 3185 times)

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
Speeding up that mouse a little more
« on: Wed, 22 September 2010, 20:12:01 »
I was using my M5-2 with a computer that had a higher-resolution monitor and I noticed the mouse was still a little slow at maximum sensitivity. But then I unchecked "Enhance Pointer Precision" and now the trackball works great! Nice and sensitive.

Just thought I'd throw that out to you all because I've heard people talking about their mice being too slow.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #1 on: Thu, 23 September 2010, 23:02:46 »
"Enhance Pointer Precision" = mouse acceleration, which incorporates mouse deceleration! And it can stay on even when you disable it. Damn you Microsoft! (No, not you.)

The whole issue is stupidly complex. This looks interesting.

Offline NewbieOneKenobi

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 24 September 2010, 09:13:16 »
Or you can buy teflon sliders somewhere, stick a double layer under the mouse, get a sufficiently coarse pad and still use the max precision thingy, hehe. As a bonus, it helps RSI. The disadvantage is that the typical user of the PC won't be able to do much with that mouse ("what the heck is this?!").

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 13 October 2010, 08:34:03 »
removing pointer precision causes the cursor to jump often more than one pixel (like a mac): so it makes it very difficult if you need pixel accuracy. This especially would hurt me since I love doing pixel art.

But if you just need it for everyday tasks and not drawing, it's fine.

Even when you have pointer precision on and set the speed to the maximum, it still causes it to jump a bit... so... I don't know what microsoft was thinking. I like my cursor fast, but not when it jumps a few pixels.
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

Offline zefrer

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 13 October 2010, 09:20:44 »
Quote from: EverythingIBM;233223
removing pointer precision causes the cursor to jump often more than one pixel (like a mac): so it makes it very difficult if you need pixel accuracy. This especially would hurt me since I love doing pixel art.

But if you just need it for everyday tasks and not drawing, it's fine.

Even when you have pointer precision on and set the speed to the maximum, it still causes it to jump a bit... so... I don't know what microsoft was thinking. I like my cursor fast, but not when it jumps a few pixels.

The 'jumping' you refer to is a result of your mouse sensitivity and DPI settings plus acceleration. If you want pixel perfect precision without acceleration lower the sensitivity and increase the DPI with acceleration off. Turning off 'enhanced pointer precision' does _not_ turn off acceleration, it is still there.

To turn accel off use third party drivers or associated winxp hacks. Google 'winxp disable mouse accel' and see how many results there are. It really is a sad state of affairs, been that way for years now. Why? "It's windows.."

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 18 October 2010, 18:42:36 »
Quote from: zefrer;233245
The 'jumping' you refer to is a result of your mouse sensitivity and DPI settings plus acceleration. If you want pixel perfect precision without acceleration lower the sensitivity and increase the DPI with acceleration off. Turning off 'enhanced pointer precision' does _not_ turn off acceleration, it is still there.

To turn accel off use third party drivers or associated winxp hacks. Google 'winxp disable mouse accel' and see how many results there are. It really is a sad state of affairs, been that way for years now. Why? "It's windows.."

I don't use windows XP, only 98 or 7.
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT