Author Topic: Least Ergonomic Mouse  (Read 18229 times)

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
Least Ergonomic Mouse
« on: Sat, 04 December 2010, 15:19:51 »
What's the worst-feeling mouse or mice you've ever used? I'll kick it off with one of my mice along with the world-famous Hockey-Puck mouse.

Everybody knows about these...

Apple was going to start off with these, but PETA (22% of Mac users are hippies) got upset.

Here's my ergonomic mouse.
« Last Edit: Sat, 04 December 2010, 15:51:27 by microsoft windows »
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline msiegel

Least Ergonomic Mouse
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 04 December 2010, 15:23:12 »
hockey puck, oh how do i hate thee...

Filco Zero (Fukka) AEKII sliders and keycaps * Filco Tenkeyless MX brown * IBM F/AT parts: modding
Model F Mod Log * Open Source Generic keyboard controller

Offline Daniel Beaver

Least Ergonomic Mouse
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 04 December 2010, 17:43:36 »
Technologically they have plateaued and OCN having a whole subforum devoted to them shows just how weird some people's obsessions are.
That sounds familiar...

As soon as I saw the title, I thought "iMac hockey puck". Glad to see that sentiment is shared. I did quite a bit of Bryce 3D rendering on an old iMac, and that damn mouse made me pull my hair out. Or maybe that's my natural reaction to Apple products, not sure.

I used the computer lab Macs quite a bit in college, and got in the habit of bringing along my Intellimouse Explorer 3.0 just so I could have a usable mouse. I generally admire the usability of Apple products. I don't understand how or why they get their mice so very wrong.
« Last Edit: Sat, 04 December 2010, 17:47:13 by Daniel Beaver »

Home: Topre Realforce 87W45  /  Mionix Naos 3200
Work: Topre Realforce 87B  /  Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
Least Ergonomic Mouse
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 04 December 2010, 18:38:48 »
That reminds me of the original Logitech mice from 1986.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline EverythingIBM

Least Ergonomic Mouse
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 04 December 2010, 21:10:30 »
I really hate these stock HP mice:

The stupid silver-painted plastic is just DISGUSTING. They're flimsy, don't fit the hand well... etc.
I end up using them at places like libraries and school, over and over.

In the sense of ergonomy, they're too "flat" and can't really get into your hand I find.
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

Offline Losttsol

Least Ergonomic Mouse
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 04 December 2010, 21:44:33 »
Razer Lachesis.  Worst shape I have ever had the displeasure of putting in my hand.

Keyboards: Deck Legend ToXiC, Dell AT-101W
Mice:
Mionix Naos 3200, Logitech MX620, Razer Diamondback 3G

Offline Arc'xer

Least Ergonomic Mouse
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 04 December 2010, 22:58:29 »
Quote from: Losttsol;257272
Razer Lachesis.  Worst shape I have ever had the displeasure of putting in my hand.

Many people who bought it would agree with you. But many of those didn't realize the mouse is for claw grip for the most part.

Offline Losttsol

Least Ergonomic Mouse
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 05 December 2010, 05:56:08 »
Quote from: Arc'xer;257323
Many people who bought it would agree with you. But many of those didn't realize the mouse is for claw grip for the most part.

That is the kind of grip I have, I don't really palm any mouse, not even the logitechs.  On the Lachesis the entire right side of my hand would have to come off the mouse to hit a side button, contorting my hand to the point it hurt.  I have fairly large hands as well.  I really wanted to like the mouse.  I tried it for a few days and couldn't take it anymore.  I put it away and switched back to my old mouse.  After another week, I pulled the Lachesis back out thinking that maybe I could figure it out this time.  No dice.  Still couldn't figure out a way to hold it that let me hit all the buttons, without my hand being bent in ways it wasn't supposed to.  I sold it on eBay right away.  There is a reason that the Lachesis has plunged from $80 to less than $40 lately.
« Last Edit: Sun, 05 December 2010, 05:58:49 by Losttsol »
Keyboards: Deck Legend ToXiC, Dell AT-101W
Mice:
Mionix Naos 3200, Logitech MX620, Razer Diamondback 3G

Offline Findecanor

Least Ergonomic Mouse
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 05 December 2010, 06:23:22 »
Tiny travel mice with hard buttons have given me pains after too much use. The least ergonomic from that perspective.

I got a cheap finger mouse once, just to try it out. It is impossible to get any precision with it. If I had been able to hover with it, then maybe it would have worked, but I have to press it down into the mouse pad to make the cheap sensor track. And... trying to click will move the mouse sideways.

Offline Manyak

Least Ergonomic Mouse
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 05 December 2010, 10:40:15 »
Quote from: Losttsol;257272

THIS

I tried it in every which grip style I could think of and it actually HURT to hold.
Currently Owned:
Filco FKBN104MC/EB - Model M 1390131 \'86 - Model M 1391401 NIB - Unicomp Endurapro NIB - iRocks KR-6230 - Compaq MX-11800 - Cherry G80-8113HRBUS-2 - Cherry ML-4100 - Cherry MY-8000-something - Dell AT101W (Black) - ABS M1 - Siig Minitouch - Chicony KB-5181 w/ SMK Montereys - Chicony KB-5181 w/ SMK Montereys NIB - Cherry G80-3494LYCUS-2 - Deck Legend

Offline skartt

Least Ergonomic Mouse
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 06 December 2010, 00:38:19 »
1.) Razer Lachesis
2.) Saitek GM3200

Offline Scarzy

• http://enecutive.blogspot.com/
Least Ergonomic Mouse
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 06 December 2010, 05:01:25 »
Didn't like the Lachesis either, I have long hands and the sensor (imho) is pretty awful. I only tried it for around 30 minutes though, the bump at the end just felt really weird in my palm, and claw grip (I'm naturally a palmer) just woukdn't stick.

I'd have to go for that being one of the worst i've ever used. But then again, I hate getting more friction from my little finger because the mouse isnt high enough like on my MS mice (WMO/IME) and I have a problem with the deathadder not being long enough for me, currently back on the 518, plan to try the 1.1 soon, though, and maybe even a zowie ec2.

As regards to OEM mice, I really dont like old dell mice (http://www.used-pcs.com/productcart/pc/catalog/C8639d.jpg) either, I think they're bulky and not long enough. Length is a big thing for me in mice I suppose, my fingers are longer than they are shorter and this is a problem when trying to get a smooth tracking session off.

Offline Choopy

Least Ergonomic Mouse
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 06 December 2010, 05:55:21 »
Razer Copperhead.

I'm not sure if this is the absolute LEAST comfortable mouse that I've ever used, but it's gotta be close.

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
Least Ergonomic Mouse
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 06 December 2010, 11:36:44 »
Finger mouse works great for me. Worst mouse is the hockey puck from Apple; couldn't unclench my hand for a week after I used it.
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline Lanx

Least Ergonomic Mouse
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 06 December 2010, 12:48:44 »
i'd vote on the hocky puck as well.
However i'd have to give a nod to the late 1990's microsoft intellimouse 3.0. My first job, well ever as data entry and I quit after a month because that mouse was starting to give me carpal tunnel. I hate that bump and ever since i've never bought a microsoft mouse ever. (back then it was either microsoft or logitech anyway and i was content with whatever i got w/ the computers which were either logitech or microsoft, and the rare ibm scroll point mouse)

Offline shrap

Least Ergonomic Mouse
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 06 December 2010, 14:43:54 »
I never had the (dis)pleasure of using the hockey puck mouse, but all flavors of the Apple Mighty Mouse (original nipple one and the current all-shiny one) give me agony just playing with them at the store. They're hard to hold because they're shiny, glossy, and way too small; and their advanced features force your fingers into all kinds of weird contortions while your wrist stays clenched.

Also pretty much any worn out or dirty mechanical mouse that doesn't move when you want it to.

Offline EverythingIBM

Least Ergonomic Mouse
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 06 December 2010, 17:31:24 »
Quote from: shrap;258212
I never had the (dis)pleasure of using the hockey puck mouse, but all flavors of the Apple Mighty Mouse (original nipple one and the current all-shiny one) give me agony just playing with them at the store. They're hard to hold because they're shiny, glossy, and way too small; and their advanced features force your fingers into all kinds of weird contortions while your wrist stays clenched.

Also pretty much any worn out or dirty mechanical mouse that doesn't move when you want it to.

The twisted thing is... I actually seen people design decent graphics with those atrocious apple mice. That takes skill I must say...

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
Least Ergonomic Mouse
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 06 December 2010, 18:53:59 »
Why would you design graphics on a Mac? Windows has a much wider variety of software available along with cheaper, better computers to run it on.

Offline nmd

Least Ergonomic Mouse
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 06 December 2010, 18:56:35 »
Quote from: Choopy;257939
Razer Copperhead.

I'm not sure if this is the absolute LEAST comfortable mouse that I've ever used, but it's gotta be close.

I have to agree with this. Even though I used one for a while(I'm stubborn), it was just very uncomfortable, terrible overall.

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
Least Ergonomic Mouse
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 07 December 2010, 11:58:18 »
If you guys give me at least 5 different horrible mice I'll make a poll about which one's the worst.

Offline Uncle Grandpa

Least Ergonomic Mouse
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 13 December 2010, 21:17:56 »
Quote from: Choopy;257939
Razer Copperhead.

Interesting - I've been using one since 2007 and I've got to say I'm quite pleased with it, especially since I started using a long, elevated palm rest. It took a few weeks to learn how to use the fingertip grip properly, but it works well for me now that I'm used to it. Then again, it might just be consequence of my weird fingers.

I did, however, wind up replacing the whole top half of the mouse when the soft touch coating on the mouse buttons started to peel, but the new (silver) shell was affordable and has shown almost no sign of degradation in the year or so I've had it.
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 December 2010, 23:47:05 by Uncle Grandpa »

Offline Kragarmendes

Least Ergonomic Mouse
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 16 December 2010, 19:32:05 »

Never seen it irl but I was reminded of it by the "puck" :D

I'd say the Lachesis has gotten cheaper because the Imperator stroke back ;)

What I will never understand is why there are so many people praising the G9x.
To me it just has obviously horrible build quality to a degree that is shocking.
I am more of a fingertip gripper so I didn't want to believe it myself. That's why I checked on it about ten times already - every time I pass by my local electronics store. The impression is always the same as soon as I put my hand on it - rattling primary buttons and grip/case, mushy thumb buttons and the worst ever scroll wheel!
You guys must be knowing and loving quality and the feel of it; I hope some of you agree ;)
Microsoft:  Sidewinder X4, Cherry: G80-1502LQE, G84-4100, G84-4700, Compaq: MX1800

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
Least Ergonomic Mouse
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 18 December 2010, 08:42:02 »
The old serial mice from Microsoft were pretty solid. Those things will last forever.

Offline EverythingIBM

Least Ergonomic Mouse
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 20 December 2010, 15:38:39 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;265153
The old serial mice from Microsoft were pretty solid. Those things will last forever.

I don't like microsoft mice: I find them really "Thick" if that makes sense. Always liked IBM ones though: especially the way the shapes are usually so simple yet comfortable:

Didn't know IBM made white ones of those with black wheels... probably to complement the white scrollpoint pro or something.

Quote from: microsoft windows;258323
Why would you design graphics on a Mac? Windows has a much wider variety of software available along with cheaper, better computers to run it on.

Ask the people who do, not me! Generally it's possible to emulate all windows things on macs... but I hate the hardware designs and **** ergonomy, so, count me out.

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
Least Ergonomic Mouse
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 20 December 2010, 17:20:06 »
I really don't see any advantage of buying a Mac besides being able to recycle its aluminum case on Scrap Metal Day.

Offline FrittenFett

Least Ergonomic Mouse
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 20 December 2010, 20:03:22 »
Hey, Apple Pro Cases are beautiful!
;)

Worst mouse ever that was punishing me for Idontknowhat:

Only the picture of this hand-crippler makes me lose control over my face.

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
Least Ergonomic Mouse
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 20 December 2010, 20:06:20 »
What an awful color... It almost gave me a seizure just looking at it.
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline Cheese101

Least Ergonomic Mouse
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 20 December 2010, 21:54:48 »
Quote from: shrap;258212

Hmm i remember at high school all the mice still had BALLZ and the computer technician had glued the opening compartment to stop people from taking the balls out and playing with/stealing them.This also had the side problem of not being able to clean the mice when they got dirty....(which with ball mice they needed cleaning at least weekly lol).

Still , those mice were better than the puck which i had the displeasure of using back in the early part of the 00s.Unbelievable to think apple stuck to only one mouse button for so long really.
Main:
IBM Model M 1391401 ; 4th October 1991
Spare:
IBM kb-8923 ; 1996 - owned from new!

Offline vegaman

Least Ergonomic Mouse
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 20 December 2010, 22:30:06 »
Quote from: Cheese101;266519
Hmm i remember at high school all the mice still had BALLZ and the computer technician had glued the opening compartment to stop people from taking the balls out and playing with/stealing them.This also had the side problem of not being able to clean the mice when they got dirty....(which with ball mice they needed cleaning at least weekly lol).

Yeah, they especially needed cleaning with all the grubby hands using them in schools, ick.

I used to habitually clean them and the mousing surface because of all the gunk.

In terms of ergonomics I was happy with my microsoft ball mice - and I've never seen anything worse than the apple puck.

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
Least Ergonomic Mouse
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 23 December 2010, 16:08:28 »
My Microsoft ball mice never have to be cleaned. They work great.

Offline Frio

Least Ergonomic Mouse
« Reply #30 on: Fri, 24 December 2010, 21:49:30 »
lol, it's 2010 and my school still uses P4 desktops and ball mice :(, their upgrade was changing some of the crts to terrible 16" lcds

Offline msiegel

Least Ergonomic Mouse
« Reply #31 on: Sat, 25 December 2010, 00:28:46 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;267995

my intellimouse (with scroll wheel! :) needs cleaning every couple of days :(

Filco Zero (Fukka) AEKII sliders and keycaps * Filco Tenkeyless MX brown * IBM F/AT parts: modding
Model F Mod Log * Open Source Generic keyboard controller

Offline bladamson

Least Ergonomic Mouse
« Reply #32 on: Sat, 25 December 2010, 01:24:13 »
You clean them? :P

I used to just beat them on the desk until the dirt dislodged and keep using them.

Maybe that's why they kept falling apart. >_>

Offline EverythingIBM

Least Ergonomic Mouse
« Reply #33 on: Sat, 25 December 2010, 05:04:20 »
Quote from: msiegel;268541
my intellimouse (with scroll wheel! :) needs cleaning every couple of days :(

You're probably not using a clean mousepad then, or, eat by your computer a lot.

Quote from: Frio;268504
lol, it's 2010 and my school still uses P4 desktops and ball mice :(, their upgrade was changing some of the crts to terrible 16" lcds

There's nothing wrong with P4: I still use one (although a 3.8 Ghz P4 would be nice). But school P4s tend to be at around 2.4 Ghz...

Ironically, the CRTs were probably better than the crappy LCDs schools get these days. I got two IBM CRTs from my school because they were just going to throw them away... Pathetic.

Quote from: microsoft windows;267995

Yes, my ball mice never have to be cleaned either. I make sure my mousepads are clean of stuff. Sometimes the little axels can use a tiny scrub to get rid of dust and stuff... but I really never have to clean them.
When I got my IBM ball mouse from school, they were ABOUT TO THROW IT AWAY because it "wasn't working," I took it home, cleaned the axels, washed the ball, and it's been working absolutely great.
Gosh people are so wasteful these days.

Offline FrittenFett

Least Ergonomic Mouse
« Reply #34 on: Sat, 25 December 2010, 05:13:28 »
Yes, somehow i know this thing, P4s and schools. :p

My school ordered crappy HP P4s for Whiteboards and they bought keyboards and mice directly out of the dump, as it seems to me.

The mice are so small they look like they were made for little indian girls and the keyboards.. argh...

Also some crappy LCDs with only VGA were bought. I hate them. :D

Offline EverythingIBM

Least Ergonomic Mouse
« Reply #35 on: Sat, 25 December 2010, 05:18:40 »
Quote from: FrittenFett;268601
Yes, somehow i know this thing, P4s and schools. :p

My school ordered crappy HP P4s for Whiteboards and they bought keyboards and mice directly out of the dump, as it seems to me.

The mice are so small they look like they were made for little indian girls and the keyboards.. argh...

Also some crappy LCDs with only VGA were bought. I hate them. :D

We actually have HP BTX workstations with C2Ds for our smartboards at school. I couldn't believe that they were actually BTX like my C2D intellistation! Probably the only HP computer I'd ever CONSIDER using.

Phew... BTX isn't dead yet.

Keyboards at schools are ALWAYS garbage. And the good keyboards that they DO have, like my 1986 Model M, THEY THROW AWAY! But crazy IBM students like myself save them.
I'm not complaining though, my Model M was virtually unused too.

I find our school has a huge mix-and-match assortment of LCDs, most of them are indeed horrible (acer *cough cough* NEC *cough cough* HP *cough cough*), but some of the LG ones aren't half bad.

Offline FrittenFett

Least Ergonomic Mouse
« Reply #36 on: Sat, 25 December 2010, 07:01:14 »
Well, I didnt opened the HPs, so i dont know if they are ATX or BTX...
And BTX isn't dead, it just smells like rotten standard... :p

The sad thing is, I'm not so long interested in keyboards I knew there were actually pearls like IBM Model M until I found satisfaction in my Cherry G80. :D

But theres no point in QQing because schools IT-people have their budget and shiny-painted mice and keyboars to buy...

And, if someone asks which mice are the standard at our school: http://geizhals.at/deutschland/a281579.html :smow:

Offline EverythingIBM

Least Ergonomic Mouse
« Reply #37 on: Sat, 25 December 2010, 08:02:57 »
Quote from: FrittenFett;268616
Well, I didnt opened the HPs, so i dont know if they are ATX or BTX...
And BTX isn't dead, it just smells like rotten standard... :p

The sad thing is, I'm not so long interested in keyboards I knew there were actually pearls like IBM Model M until I found satisfaction in my Cherry G80. :D

But theres no point in QQing because schools IT-people have their budget and shiny-painted mice and keyboars to buy...

And, if someone asks which mice are the standard at our school: http://geizhals.at/deutschland/a281579.html :smow:

You don't have to open them up... you just look at which side the mobo port connectors are. I happened to notice they were on the opposite side and couldn't believe it (I did eventually open one up as I was curious on the internals: I think they even used quadros as well).

I ended up taking the keyboards because they were IBM... kind of wish I took the other ones (I think they had some ALPs ones).

Never used a cherry keyboard before, but I like clicky noises.

Offline FrittenFett

Least Ergonomic Mouse
« Reply #38 on: Sat, 25 December 2010, 10:12:25 »
There are also linear Cherrys... ;)

Our HPs are normal ATX, not BTX or I-ATX. They use 3Ghz P4 S775 but ATi 4350. xD

You would be really amazed when you would find out how many strange standards were used in the P4 time. So, never trust the mobo-ports. :D

I feel ashamed while saying this, but I never saw a high-quality keyboard in any school. The best thing to see at school are the old M$-keyboards. I'm really afraid of the logitech media keyboards which have a typing feeling like mildewd camembert.. :yuck:
« Last Edit: Sun, 26 December 2010, 15:51:26 by FrittenFett »

Offline EverythingIBM

Least Ergonomic Mouse
« Reply #39 on: Sat, 25 December 2010, 10:23:11 »
Quote from: FrittenFett;268676

Our HPs are normal ATX, not BTX or I-ATX. They use 3Ghz P4 S775 but ATi 4350. xD

You would be really amazed when you would find out how many strange standards where used in the P4 time. So, never trust the mobo-ports. :D

I feel ashamed while saying this, but I never saw a high-quality keyboard in any school. The best thing to see at school are the old M$-keyboards. I'm really afraid of the logitech media keyboards which have a typing feeling like mildewd camembert.. :yuck:

No, see, these are C2D BTX computers, not P4. That's why I was ecstatic over them.

While there are many factors involved, at the end of the day, looking at which side the port panel is will give an indication... I can't see why they would put the ports on a risercard or something to inverse it.

Generally older microsoft keyboards are decent. Surprisingly microsoft did release some good computer peripherals.

Offline FrittenFett

Least Ergonomic Mouse
« Reply #40 on: Sat, 25 December 2010, 11:02:12 »
R.I.P. IntelliMouse. :pray:

Offline EverythingIBM

Least Ergonomic Mouse
« Reply #41 on: Sun, 26 December 2010, 07:40:46 »
Quote from: FrittenFett;268698
R.I.P. IntelliMouse. :pray:

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/productdetails.aspx?pid=004

Offline FrittenFett

Least Ergonomic Mouse
« Reply #42 on: Sun, 26 December 2010, 08:58:42 »
...will never be the same. It had its time but nowadays we use razer or logitech for mice.
« Last Edit: Sun, 26 December 2010, 15:52:05 by FrittenFett »

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
Least Ergonomic Mouse
« Reply #43 on: Sun, 26 December 2010, 13:15:40 »
Quote from: FrittenFett;268676

You would be really amazed when you would find out how many strange standards where used in the P4 time. So, never trust the mobo-ports. :D

I am a computer technician at a school and I've worked with a variety of keyboards and computers over the years. Right now, we're gradually phasing out the Dell Optiplex GX270's (those were a nightmare with the faulty mobo's). Most of our fleet of Windows machines consists of the 270's, along with C2D Optiplex 745's, and some C2D Hewlett-Packards (We quit purchasing computers from Dell after the motherboard incident).

Personally, I'd have to say that the keyboards that have come with the C2D Hewlett-Packards are good rubber domes. Nice, well-built, with stablizers on large keys. They're probably the best keyboards at work.

Offline FrittenFett

Least Ergonomic Mouse
« Reply #44 on: Sun, 26 December 2010, 15:59:13 »
Oh, yes, the ****'ol Dells...
They were ripped apart and used for the cabinet of modern PCs in the IT-corridor.

What I always like in schools are the securing systems which look like self-coded and easy to break.
Open taskmanager and all processes which cause a load over 2%.:party:
 Once a day we sent via net-send "Hello Neo" - It was pure fun to see the "server"-staff (the "server" is a P4 workstation which is called "server" because of the ability of GBit) being agitated their genius securing is so weak.  :fish: