Author Topic: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions  (Read 1249108 times)

Offline yui

Re: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions
« Reply #5100 on: Wed, 23 September 2020, 00:40:41 »
I don't find any reason to buy a Keycult when Rama exist
but is there any reason why not, i do see a reason for ibm to exist when water exist, but does not mean one need to disappear.
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #5101 on: Wed, 23 September 2020, 08:52:09 »
I don't find any reason to buy a Keycult when Rama exist
but is there any reason why not, i do see a reason for ibm to exist when water exist, but does not mean one need to disappear.

Yes Yui good comment ^_^
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline no, the other guy

• actually, this guy
« Reply #5102 on: Wed, 23 September 2020, 08:54:11 »
I'm selling both boards

Is it an F AT? Because I’d want one.  ;D

-----------

Unpopular opinion as of today: Linear switches are worse than Rubber Domes in terms of keyfeel.
<armin> i have the impression the only reason the mx red switch was invented was drunk people

Unicomp PC122 (review) * IBM Model F XT * Dell AT101W

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #5103 on: Wed, 23 September 2020, 08:59:08 »
I'm selling both boards

Is it an F AT? Because I’d want one.  ;D

-----------

Unpopular opinion as of today: Linear switches are worse than Rubber Domes in terms of keyfeel.
Yes but I have to fix the spacebar and find keycaps for the numpad ^_^

Offline no, the other guy

• actually, this guy
« Reply #5104 on: Wed, 23 September 2020, 09:01:13 »
Model F keycaps are relatively easy to find. The spacebar is a problem though.  :blank:
<armin> i have the impression the only reason the mx red switch was invented was drunk people

Unicomp PC122 (review) * IBM Model F XT * Dell AT101W

Offline nappis

« Reply #5105 on: Fri, 09 October 2020, 10:50:03 »
Plate mounted stabs are better. Easier to fix/replace. Sound way better. More robust design because nothing is hitting directly the PCB.

Offline BitterMango

« Reply #5106 on: Mon, 12 October 2020, 17:12:33 »
Heavy modern metal cases of anodized aluminium, extremely polished steel or brass etc. for keyboards are the equivalent of driving a gold plated Lamborghini on city streets - bordering on pointless vanity. Not only is metal as a case material completely unnecessary (I've never seen even a 10$ rubber dome with a plastic case significantly wear under normal use) it adds nothing particularly tangible to the durability of the keyboard itself since the case just hides the same, more or less cheap PCB's inside that every mech keeb has. At least an expensive sports car gets you a sports engine. Metal cases serve nothing more than for conspicuous consumption and to create artificial luxury tiers in the hobby.

Old metal keyboards get a free pass on this because it was thought at the time that computers would last and not become obsolete so quickly. There was also a clear marriage between form and function, even if they were overbuilt - something modern keebs lack.

It doesn't mean I dislike metal cases or that all of them (or even most) are tacky.

« Last Edit: Mon, 12 October 2020, 17:14:12 by BitterMango »

Offline rxc92

« Reply #5107 on: Tue, 13 October 2020, 00:19:54 »
Heavy modern metal cases of anodized aluminium, extremely polished steel or brass etc. for keyboards are the equivalent of driving a gold plated Lamborghini on city streets - bordering on pointless vanity. Not only is metal as a case material completely unnecessary (I've never seen even a 10$ rubber dome with a plastic case significantly wear under normal use) it adds nothing particularly tangible to the durability of the keyboard itself since the case just hides the same, more or less cheap PCB's inside that every mech keeb has. At least an expensive sports car gets you a sports engine. Metal cases serve nothing more than for conspicuous consumption and to create artificial luxury tiers in the hobby.

Metal cases aren't as expensive as  you make them out to be. You can, like me, buy a well-made full aluminum case with an insert for somewhere around $100 from KBDfans to try out a metal case keyboard, and it noticeably alters the typing experience. Not saying that it's superior, but it is very obviously different and considering that everyone here had been typing on plastic-case MX keyboards for years to decades, it's no wonder that a more expensive new alternative is prized over default plastic. Because let's be real here, what would differentiate, say, a custom keyboard with a plastic case from any stock board with the same layout? There's only so much you can change.   

I personally still use and prefer a plastic case Realforce over my metal-case MX keyboard, as it's comfortable to use; many like the even softer experience of an HHKB, which lacks a stiff plate. 

Anyways, that refutes the point of it being completely unnecessary, as it was never about durability, it was always about typing feel and a different experience. 

Onto pointless vanity, that much is most likely true! However, many people in the community make a good living. To them, a thousand dollars or more on a keyboard is an insignificant amount of money, so why not bother making it as nice as possible to show off? People like having nice things, and keyboards are not an expensive hobby by any comparison.

Offline yui

« Reply #5108 on: Tue, 13 October 2020, 01:10:45 »
(I've never seen even a 10$ rubber dome with a plastic case significantly wear under normal use)
compare that to my 2 years old M where the case is significantly worn, it as lost most of the texture on the bottom and side bezels, to be fair i use it about 8 hours a day and i am a web dev so it sees a lot of use.

Offline NoteMakoti

• for sale, baby shoes, never worn
« Reply #5109 on: Tue, 13 October 2020, 10:04:23 »

Old metal keyboards get a free pass on this because it was thought at the time that computers would last and not become obsolete so quickly. There was also a clear marriage between form and function, even if they were overbuilt - something modern keebs lack.

It doesn't mean I dislike metal cases or that all of them (or even most) are tacky.
I like metal keebs and brass weights, but they're definitely more gaudy than, say, RGB or shine-through keycaps, and it's weird seeing keyboard guys get up in arms about that while paying $50-$100 for brass artisans or hundreds of dollars for polished metal case weights.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #5110 on: Tue, 13 October 2020, 11:00:09 »
It's not so clear-cut. I think one of the reasons metal frames are popular in the enthusiast community is that I assume it is easier to do a small run of alum cases than injection-molded plastic, especially if you are doing several colours.

Don't you need a huge setup to efficiently churn out plastic cases? Big initial investment, but then afterwards the cases are cheap.

With metal, you can do it in a medium-sized setup, or even a small shop. Like the steel HMKB, that's a small operation. So you can get your metal keyboard with choice of coloured case in a limited production run at a price that wouldn't be feasable with plastic?

I suppose I'm saying that production issues play a key role in case selection and availability.

That being said, I think plastic is underrated among enthusiasts. I've been running a Filco MJ2 since 2016 or so, and the case has virtually no wear. They are often better-sounding than metal cases, and don't give you static shock.

But you can produce monster metal cases that are just better than the equivalent plastic. Try the plastic case on a TADA68, and then the alum one, which was one of the cheapest out there back in the day. Massive improvement in typing experience IMHO, and more colour availability with the metal.

Offline BitterMango

« Reply #5111 on: Thu, 15 October 2020, 17:01:28 »
It's not so clear-cut. I think one of the reasons metal frames are popular in the enthusiast community is that I assume it is easier to do a small run of alum cases than injection-molded plastic, especially if you are doing several colours.

Don't you need a huge setup to efficiently churn out plastic cases? Big initial investment, but then afterwards the cases are cheap.

With metal, you can do it in a medium-sized setup, or even a small shop. Like the steel HMKB, that's a small operation. So you can get your metal keyboard with choice of coloured case in a limited production run at a price that wouldn't be feasable with plastic?

I suppose I'm saying that production issues play a key role in case selection and availability.

That being said, I think plastic is underrated among enthusiasts. I've been running a Filco MJ2 since 2016 or so, and the case has virtually no wear. They are often better-sounding than metal cases, and don't give you static shock.

But you can produce monster metal cases that are just better than the equivalent plastic. Try the plastic case on a TADA68, and then the alum one, which was one of the cheapest out there back in the day. Massive improvement in typing experience IMHO, and more colour availability with the metal.

It was a bit of deliberate hyperbole on my part. There are good reasons why metal cases are available and the prices at which they're sold. I do however think that we're in a situation in which there's a bit too much expensive bling at the highest level of customs, and too many' affordable' options at the lower level (dime a dozen china kits, gamer boards etc.) - and a gap in the middle that could have been filled with a lot of creative solutions (in plastic). The value placed on metal as the premium case material is a part of it I feel, and plastic has been somewhat unjustly neglected. The economics of injection molding perhaps play a part but perceptions do as well. After all the B-BOX variants are sold for 30$, so it's possible to make small and affordable runs.

Personally, one of the charms of the hobby (for me) is the option to relive the aesthetics of 80's computers, but a lot of what I find that's trying to pass itself off as retro is in fact completely modern bling and quite overproduced compared to old computers.
« Last Edit: Thu, 15 October 2020, 17:10:53 by BitterMango »

Offline BitterMango

« Reply #5112 on: Thu, 15 October 2020, 17:06:51 »

I like metal keebs and brass weights, but they're definitely more gaudy than, say, RGB or shine-through keycaps, and it's weird seeing keyboard guys get up in arms about that while paying $50-$100 for brass artisans or hundreds of dollars for polished metal case weights.

It's a tough all to say what's more or less gaudy (I was a pretty hardcore gamer, but moved past the Razer aesthetics behind a long time ago) but in a hobby that's literally about pimping out the thing that most people use but don't even notice it exists (let alone have an aesthetic opinion on it) taking the high ground is a bit of a joke (albeit typical for all communities centered on hobbies where money can be spent in 'tiers).
« Last Edit: Thu, 15 October 2020, 17:09:52 by BitterMango »

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #5113 on: Thu, 15 October 2020, 17:43:01 »

It was a bit of deliberate hyperbole on my part. There are good reasons why metal cases are available and the prices at which they're sold. I do however think that we're in a situation in which there's a bit too much expensive bling at the highest level of customs, and too many' affordable' options at the lower level (dime a dozen china kits, gamer boards etc.) - and a gap in the middle that could have been filled with a lot of creative solutions (in plastic). The value placed on metal as the premium case material is a part of it I feel, and plastic has been somewhat unjustly neglected. The economics of injection molding perhaps play a part but perceptions do as well. After all the B-BOX variants are sold for 30$, so it's possible to make small and affordable runs.

I agree with the lack of a middle-ground. I think the KBD8x mkii is so popular because it offers a decent build [polycarb or metal] with top-mount, decent PCB, etc... at a price closer to entry-level. This is where KBDFans excels, when they know what they are doing.

Some of the new GBs are interesting, like the IKKI68 Aurora, in that they plan to offer a nice design and some good colours in polycarb at near-entry-level price. This is what we need more of. It was maybe Novelkeys who paved the way with the NK68, although that board is too close to entry-level.

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #5114 on: Mon, 19 October 2020, 22:03:27 »
I agree

Offline Current Keyboards

• currentkeyboards.com
« Reply #5115 on: Mon, 19 October 2020, 23:01:22 »
Fusion 360 is horrible CAD and should be avoided at all costs.

Come at me. haha

Offline yui

« Reply #5116 on: Tue, 20 October 2020, 00:43:33 »

Come at me. haha
i do agree somewhat, i just find them all horribly unfriendly to use, apart from openSCAD but that may be my programing background

Offline hvontres

• Buckling Spring Enthusiast - Full Size Evangelist
« Reply #5117 on: Tue, 20 October 2020, 00:55:48 »

Come at me. haha

Try NX sometime...half the stability of Pro/E with twice the clicks. And don't even get me started on the Cluster f#$$% that is Team Center.
Henry von Tresckow

1986 Model M 1390131, 1987 Model M 1391401 , 1993 Model M2 Modded Reddragon k556(Test Mule) Boston Prototype x2 (Daily Drivers :) )

Offline Nonnegaard

« Reply #5118 on: Tue, 20 October 2020, 03:44:37 »
This is probably quite popular, but modern clickies are horrible.
Aeon, TGR Jane V2, Dolphin 2021, Gherkin, Model M, 5°, NCR80, M0110-A

Offline fluxlab

« Reply #5119 on: Tue, 20 October 2020, 12:52:07 »
Winkeyless is overrated

Offline yui

« Reply #5120 on: Wed, 21 October 2020, 07:04:33 »
Winkeyless is overrated
i dunno there is still a lot more keyboards with winkeys than without, and i do like the notch between ctrl and alt make them easier to find, although i do understand their use and all my keyboards have a gui key programmed somewhere, and a menu key also

Offline penatbater

« Reply #5121 on: Wed, 21 October 2020, 09:46:26 »
I think the TKL layout sucks. Most people use around 4 of the extra 9 nav keys there, so there's a lot of space wasted. A 75 or a 65 does the same job while keeping things more compact. Plus, it looks kinda funny.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #5122 on: Wed, 21 October 2020, 11:07:12 »
Even after all these years, this thread is still like 80% popular opinions. Never change yall  :-*
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline Crabby

« Reply #5123 on: Wed, 21 October 2020, 20:59:48 »
Custom mechs are probably the most wasteful and inane hobby where companies price gouge morons out of their money. Enjoy your 150 dollar designer MX switches and 120 dollar+ caps while the companies are probably enjoying insane margins.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #5124 on: Wed, 21 October 2020, 21:19:38 »
Custom mechs are probably the most wasteful and inane hobby where companies price gouge morons out of their money. Enjoy your 150 dollar designer MX switches and 120 dollar+ caps while the companies are probably enjoying insane margins.

Tactile boards on the other hand I really only enjoy... rubber domes.

it all makes sense

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline Crabby

« Reply #5125 on: Wed, 21 October 2020, 21:22:45 »

it all makes sense

What makes sense? Care to explain?

Or did you just feel insulted by my post so you took something out of context in a lame attempt to make me look "bad"?  :thumb:

By all means, reply to my post and disagree, even call me an idiot. I don't care. But please don't take things I said out of context and be passive aggressive about it.
« Last Edit: Wed, 21 October 2020, 21:47:24 by Crabby »

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #5126 on: Wed, 21 October 2020, 22:03:52 »

it all makes sense

Or did you just feel insulted by my post so you took something out of context in a lame attempt to make me look "bad"?  :thumb:

By all means, reply to my post and disagree, even call me an idiot. I don't care. But please don't take things I said out of context and be passive aggressive about it.

it was just a joke lol. gh is a lot more fun if you don't take yourself too seriously

Offline Crabby

« Reply #5127 on: Wed, 21 October 2020, 22:50:01 »

it all makes sense

it was just a joke lol. gh is a lot more fun if you don't take yourself too seriously
I apologize, the sarcasm doesn't come across well over text. I'll keep it in mind  :thumb:

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #5128 on: Wed, 21 October 2020, 23:30:33 »

it all makes sense

I apologize, the sarcasm doesn't come across well over text. I'll keep it in mind  :thumb:

:-* :-*

Offline jamster

« Reply #5129 on: Thu, 22 October 2020, 22:20:49 »

I'd agree about the highly dubious value proposition, but I don't think that people are making truckloads of money out of this. CNC machining costs are high and have no economies of scale as it's such a time intensive process, and keycap sets and switch batches are pretty small when compared to commercial amounts, and there is probably a lot more to-and-fro than with standardised commercial orders.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #5130 on: Fri, 23 October 2020, 02:35:47 »

I'd agree about the highly dubious value proposition, but I don't think that people are making truckloads of money out of this.

you'd be surprised

Offline hvontres

« Reply #5131 on: Fri, 23 October 2020, 12:49:18 »
I'd say High end audio comes to mind. How in the world is a $2000 power cord going to make any difference on how your gear sounds??????

Hmmm, maybe it's no coincidence that Drop caters to both of those markets :)
Henry von Tresckow

1986 Model M 1390131, 1987 Model M 1391401 , 1993 Model M2 Modded Reddragon k556(Test Mule) Boston Prototype x2 (Daily Drivers :) )

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #5132 on: Fri, 23 October 2020, 20:45:51 »

I'd say High end audio comes to mind.

I agree, that is a good comparison.
"It turns out that for a decade, whenever Trump wanted to get a loan, or make a deal, he would inflate the value of his real estate. For instance, suggesting that his 11,000-square foot penthouse was a 30,000-square foot penthouse.
And the attorney general of New York knew that Trump's property values were inflated because when it came time to pay taxes, Trump undervalued the very same properties.
It was all part of a very sophisticated real estate practice known as “lying.”
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #5133 on: Fri, 23 October 2020, 22:30:57 »
flipped spacebars were always cool

Offline Nonnegaard

« Reply #5134 on: Mon, 26 October 2020, 03:07:13 »
who said they werent
Aeon, TGR Jane V2, Dolphin 2021, Gherkin, Model M, 5°, NCR80, M0110-A

Offline yui

« Reply #5135 on: Mon, 26 October 2020, 04:04:35 »
I do not understand how i find browns way too light and red the right weight as, as far as, i know both are 45g. i don't even know if it is unpopular but given how popular browns are i think it could fit the bill.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #5136 on: Mon, 26 October 2020, 10:45:33 »
I do not understand how i find browns way too light and red the right weight as, as far as, i know both are 45g. i don't even know if it is unpopular but given how popular browns are i think it could fit the bill.

Maybe you type turned down and gravity helps your fingers.  :p

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #5137 on: Mon, 26 October 2020, 20:11:34 »
I find browns good weight  and reds too light. You are weird Yui

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #5138 on: Mon, 26 October 2020, 22:30:16 »
Space Invader switches are drastically underrated and need to make a comeback

Offline yui

« Reply #5139 on: Tue, 27 October 2020, 01:45:18 »
I find browns good weight  and reds too light. You are weird Yui
i think we are both, and i think pretty much everyone here is weird in some way

Offline hvontres

« Reply #5140 on: Tue, 27 October 2020, 10:14:20 »
Along with awesome slider over dome designs.
Henry von Tresckow

Offline ItIsWritten

« Reply #5141 on: Tue, 27 October 2020, 18:41:01 »
It seems to me that smaller keyboard sizes have more to do with wanting to be different than actual usefulness. There's a reason commercial boards still use the AT layout. It was developed with extensive user input.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G950F met Tapatalk

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #5142 on: Tue, 27 October 2020, 19:02:32 »
It seems to me that smaller keyboard sizes have more to do with wanting to be different than actual usefulness. There's a reason commercial boards still use the AT layout. It was developed with extensive user input.

I would like to bring to the table that in some cases, like mine, I began using a sixty out of need. Using the trackball at a more centered position cured the carpal tunnel pain; the full size keyboard kepth the trackball too far from the center, causing a wrist tortion that developed the syndrome.

I may be the exception, but the sixty format actually solved my problem. I use the computer over eight hours per day.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #5143 on: Tue, 27 October 2020, 20:01:10 »
who said they werent

you shoulda seen this place a few years ago..

it's too bad that a little dirt will ruin them, cause clean black invaders are smooth af. and between "space invader" and "angry bear", they have both of the two coolest names.

some of us just don't use the function row/numpad, not that crazy
« Last Edit: Tue, 27 October 2020, 20:04:25 by hwood34 »

Offline Crabby

« Reply #5144 on: Wed, 28 October 2020, 00:35:23 »

I'd agree about the highly dubious value proposition, but I don't think that people are making truckloads of money out of this.

I don't think the people who are designing the custom keycaps are making truckloads of money but companies like GMK surely are.

Offline yui

« Reply #5145 on: Wed, 28 October 2020, 02:16:55 »
we do not use the AT layout really anymore it had quite a few revisions along the way, and it was developed to be useful to all peoples while customs are for you and only you, for typing text a 60% is plenty for terminal use 122% is better and for stock exchange it needs even more keys, depends on what you need, and tbh numpads looks good but if you are not crunching numbers all day long, are fairly useless

Offline Crabby

« Reply #5146 on: Wed, 28 October 2020, 17:22:45 »

I actually think top tier rubber domes feel better than most mechanical tactile switches too. I do prefer linears for stuff like gaming and certain macros though.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #5147 on: Wed, 28 October 2020, 18:40:31 »

I actually think top tier rubber domes feel better than most mechanical tactile switches too. I do prefer linears for stuff like gaming and certain macros though.

Most off-the-shelve keyboards are better than mechanical ones. We do not know what we are doing here, having a conversation about such old junk. We are lost, expending money on obsolete switches, while PC components manufacturers know better than us and offer the best in input devices already. We are such a bunch of old farts wasting time and money.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #5148 on: Wed, 28 October 2020, 18:42:04 »

I don't think the people who are designing the custom keycaps are making truckloads of money but companies like GMK surely are.

even as much as keyboards have blown up in the last year or two, I think you still vastly overestimate how much money there is to be made offering largely a single service to a niche hobby

Offline hvontres

« Reply #5149 on: Wed, 28 October 2020, 19:34:40 »

Laughs manically in Buckling spring
Henry von Tresckow