Author Topic: 6.25 Univ Space bar fits but gets stuck  (Read 8183 times)

Offline Kayla

• :3
6.25 Univ Space bar fits but gets stuck
« on: Mon, 30 June 2014, 14:26:48 »

The white one fits but the pink one doesnt. I can confirm with a ruler that they are the exact same locations for the stems. Are these extra stems in the way? If so, how can I fix it? If not.. how can I fix it?

The problem is the space bar gets stuck when I push it down.. It fits on but it gets stuck and doesnt come up.

Offline Xenderwind

Re: 6.25 Univ Space bar fits but gets stuck
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 30 June 2014, 15:08:59 »
Have you checked to see if it might be a problem with the LED's and the protrusions?  The white spacebar only has 1 "line" going through the middle but the other space bar has 3.
GON NS 87 62g clears, QFR 62g clears, Pure 65g blues, HHKB Pro II

Offline Kayla

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 30 June 2014, 16:29:54 »
The lines that you see are actually almost flush with the space bar itself. There are no support beams like it looks like. They couldnt be in the way.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 30 June 2014, 16:58:50 »
Is the pink space bar warped?

If it is not perfectly flat, it might not be sitting properly on the Cherry stabilisers.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Kayla

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 30 June 2014, 17:00:52 »

If it is not perfectly flat, it might not be sitting properly on the Cherry stabilisers.
It sits perfectly flat on all flat surfaces without warp whatsoever.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 30 June 2014, 17:05:37 »

It sits perfectly flat on all flat surfaces without warp whatsoever.

That's the most common problem with long keys on Cherry stabs.

Ok, are you able to try the space bar on a different keyboard?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Kayla

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 30 June 2014, 17:11:03 »
Nope because the TK doesnt have a standard size space bar :p

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 30 June 2014, 17:32:01 »
I can't think of anything else, except maybe the extra stems are getting stuck in the stabiliser mounting.

Before you take any drastic action, see if anyone else has any suggestions.

Offline GSimon

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 30 June 2014, 19:09:25 »
I'd be interested in hearing a solution.

I have a universal space bar for my Leopold 750r that fits, it's from the Calm Depths group buy. Anyway it has the same or similar issue, as though there is some friction or something but I cannot tell what it is since it is not brushing up against the keys or the case.

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 30 June 2014, 19:33:14 »
I have the same POM Rainbow Jelly set.

It has very tight receiving stems just on the spacebar for some reason. I got the set secondhand and immediately noticed that the stem receivers are very scratched up, perhaps because they are so tight. I plan on lubing stems to help it, but for now I have it kind of half sitting inside the stems.

Offline Kayla

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 30 June 2014, 23:54:41 »
I have the same POM Rainbow Jelly set.

It has very tight receiving stems just on the spacebar for some reason. I got the set secondhand and immediately noticed that the stem receivers are very scratched up, perhaps because they are so tight. I plan on lubing stems to help it, but for now I have it kind of half sitting inside the stems.
They are tight yes but anchoring themselves to the stabilizers and the switch shouldnt cause the key to depress and stay depressed. I wonder if there are any tests I can do to see what is happening on the underside? I feel liek sanding down the stems Im not goingn to use is my only option but I dont want to weaken the plastic.

Offline GSimon

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 01 July 2014, 00:00:44 »
It might not be the additional stems though. The stock spacebar with mine is fine (6 stems) but the SA spacebar (6 stem also) I have isn't the same and can stick or just doesn't sound right.

Offline Kayla

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 01 July 2014, 00:08:26 »
It might not be the additional stems though. The stock spacebar with mine is fine (6 stems) but the SA spacebar (6 stem also) I have isn't the same and can stick or just doesn't sound right.
Are you using it on a Ducky Shine 3? Cuz the added LEDs and holes in the plate as seen in my photo could be where the stems are getting caught maybe?

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 01 July 2014, 00:11:47 »
Can't see cuz on phone but is it pcb or plate cherry stabs? Cuz I had plate mount cherry on my Filco and universal Spacebar didn't play well either

That might be the problem ^_^
« Last Edit: Tue, 01 July 2014, 00:15:49 by Sifo »
I love Elzy

Offline GSimon

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 01 July 2014, 00:14:17 »
Nah, Leopold 750r. I'll record a video tomorrow and post it showing what I mean. Just seems like a similar issue and I can't point my finger on what it is either, but in my case the stem placement doesn't seem to be the issue.

Offline Kayla

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 01 July 2014, 00:18:03 »
Can't see cuz on phone but is it pcb or plate cherry stabs? Cuz I had plate mount cherry on my Filco and universal Spacebar didn't play well either

That might be the problem ^_^
Its mounted through the plate onto the PCB. The issue is that the stabs are in the same spots as the stabs on the white spacebar and the stock ducky space bars that fit fine.. so I should be able to fix it and im curious how. There is no excuse for making a set like this and selling it when the space bar doesnt fit on a ducky D;

Should I sand down the stems Im not using..?

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 01 July 2014, 00:19:22 »
So then it's pcb mounted?

Same spot and position doesn't matter all I know is that certain Spacebar don't play nice with plate mount cherry stabs which I thought most non Korean plate mounted boards had
I love Elzy

Offline Kayla

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 01 July 2014, 00:27:36 »
So then it's pcb mounted?

Same spot and position doesn't matter all I know is that certain Spacebar don't play nice with plate mount cherry stabs which I thought most non Korean plate mounted boards had
Well its a ducky shine 3. The stabs hook onto the plate I just assumed they were on the PCB but theyre probably just anchored to the holes in the plate.

Offline dantan

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 01 July 2014, 02:02:49 »
looks worrying. so 6.25 space bars are not always compatible with other 6.25 space bars?

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 01 July 2014, 02:15:18 »
Looks to me that the second middle stem mount may be getting stuck in the slot next to the spacebar switch. It looks quite narrow. I don't think it's an issue with the stabilisers. I would shave down the edges of that second stem mount  and see. It won't weaken the spacebar and should still be able to be used on Cherry boards (which use the offset spacebar switch) if you don't take too much off.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline GSimon

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 01 July 2014, 16:18:42 »
Took the video of the issue I have. Even when the spacebar doesn't stick you can hear some friction.

Note: The SA spacebar is NOT brushing up against the front part of the case, it can be difficult to tell from the video but it has plenty of clearance so it's not that.

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 01 July 2014, 16:32:45 »
I have the same problem with my Dolch DSA spacebar on my Ducky G2 pro (and a tiny bit on my IMSTO set). I'm thinking it's the square border outside of the plate mounted stabilizer stems not playing well with thicker keycap stems.
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline GSimon

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 01 July 2014, 16:42:11 »
Yea, the SA spacebar I think is too narrow at the top so once the key bottoms out it hugs onto the Cherry MX switch before moving back up. Not really that helpful in terms of finding a solution however.

Offline Kayla

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 20:33:17 »
The problem appears to me to be the LED. The LED in the center switch itself seems to be getting caught on the space bar. I took a spare switch and stuck it on and it worked just fine off the keyboard.. and I sanded down all the extra stems so they would be nearly flush with the space bar so the only thing it could possibly be is the LED. I have no idea how I can fix this without removing the LED or cutting a hole in the space bar both of which I feel are out of the question.. does anyone have any bright ideas?

I havent settled on its the LED but im running out of things to accuse..
« Last Edit: Wed, 02 July 2014, 20:35:06 by Kayla »

Offline Xenderwind

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 20:36:03 »
The problem appears to me to be the LED. The LED in the center switch itself seems to be getting caught on the space bar. I took a spare switch and stuck it on and it worked just fine off the keyboard.. and I sanded down all the extra stems so they would be nearly flush with the space bar so the only thing it could possibly be is the LED. I have no idea how I can fix this without removing the LED or cutting a hole in the space bar both of which I feel are out of the question.. does anyone have any bright ideas?

I havent settled on its the LED but im running out of things to accuse..
Not sure if it is the LED.  I only say this because GSimon has similar problems but his switch doesn't even have an LED.
GON NS 87 62g clears, QFR 62g clears, Pure 65g blues, HHKB Pro II

Offline Kayla

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 20:57:54 »
I sanded down the extra stems and ive looked carefully, the existing stems upon further inspection seem to be in 'relatively' the correct spot. They are literally some fraction of a milimeter off on both sides but the amount they are off changes depending on where I compare from.. so its hard to tell -- some angles they are perfect. The space bar only sticks when I depress both stabilizers and the space bar does not stick when its on a single switch off the keyboard. So its an issue with the stabilizers (the stem placement) or the LED. I dont know what would be causing the stabilizer issue other than mis-placed stems.. but they look right to me! Mostly.. Does anyone have a test I can do to make sure they are perfect? Other that putting putty between them.. cuz I have no putty.

Or.. point me in the direction of a white or pink pom space bar that fits on a ducky? (Hey.. I can always dream..)

Otherwise; this key set will never be complete which saddens me.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 02:35:08 »
You can sand the top of the LED. As long as you don't go down to the metal parts it will still work, just the focus of the lens will be affected, but it's not important with this type of backlighting.

The jelly POM set is the only place I know of to get a white or pink POM spacebar... I can send you an OEM profile white PBT spacebar if you like, but it's quite pure white, not soft white like the jelly POM one.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Kayla

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 03:21:52 »
It looks to be the stems.. so I may need to flat out replace the space bar with something that blends in. Im not sure where to go from here. Im just using the stock ducky soace bar for now..