Author Topic: RIT Dying a Logitech G9x  (Read 4841 times)

Offline Omerta

• Reddit stole my ripster...
RIT Dying a Logitech G9x
« on: Tue, 17 April 2012, 14:14:32 »
So, im sitting here staring at my bland and boring g9x and noticed how the left click is just a small flat square while the rest of the mouse is all connected together. Figuring when all the parts come in for me to build my new rig, it's going to have a ton of red LED's and im going to be doing a full red/black layout.

I noticed in a RIT thread previously that someone RIT dyed a logitech mouse previously but they did the entire mouse case to remove the logitech logo.

Has anyone successfully RIT dyed their g9x? Do you think the left click part would be too small and think to successfully RIT dye it red without melting it?
"Be who you are and say what you feel, Those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind"

Happy Hacking Killer Kitty

Offline chel-

RIT Dying a Logitech G9x
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 18 April 2012, 10:11:33 »
I dont know about RIT but I've seen people spray paint mice before. I'm not sure how durable it is though.

Offline Omerta

• Reddit stole my ripster...
RIT Dying a Logitech G9x
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 18 April 2012, 16:10:28 »
Quote from: chel-;577911
I dont know about RIT but I've seen people spray paint mice before. I'm not sure how durable it is though.

Well if you looked at the g9x it has a small square left click that's separate from the whole model, it's pretty thin so i'd be kinda scared to dye it. Spray paint wont work very well, im sure it will rub off extremely quick. Maybe model paint?
"Be who you are and say what you feel, Those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind"

Happy Hacking Killer Kitty

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
RIT Dying a Logitech G9x
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 18 April 2012, 16:15:02 »
how about Krylon Fusion plastic paint?

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
RIT Dying a Logitech G9x
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 23 April 2012, 10:25:14 »
My g9 body is painted with Fusion and it is great. I'd be careful about spraying too thick on that left mouse button, though.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline NYC

RIT Dying a Logitech G9x
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 23 April 2012, 10:45:42 »
my g9x also looks boring.... would love to do something to it if possible and not mess it up!
Camo Filco Cherry Blues tkl, White Filco Majestouch 2 Cherry Browns tkl

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
RIT Dying a Logitech G9x
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 24 April 2012, 09:37:11 »
If you look at my mouse on my desk you can see the white body I painted on the g9. I'd take closer pics, but it is now being painted pink for my wifey for her work pc. Will get a few once it is done and dry.

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 48855[/ATTACH]
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
RIT Dying a Logitech G9x
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 24 April 2012, 10:11:44 »
I made my MX Revolution white with VHT vinyl dye. I've been using for like a year since I did it and it still looks as good as the day I finished it. I highly reccomend it over trying to dye a large piece of ABS with rit, as it will be very difficult to keep it from deforming, and Fusion is nowhere near as durable and scratch resistant for long term.
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 48863[/ATTACH]

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
RIT Dying a Logitech G9x
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 24 April 2012, 11:08:12 »
The VHT was way too shiny for me. Even their "satins" don't have a feel or look that I like. Plus with spraypaint my color choices are endless!

Anyhow I just wrote up a quick article with how/what I do.
http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Island:30620

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
  • When caffeine isn't enough
RIT Dying a Logitech G9x
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 12 May 2012, 12:15:42 »
Quote from: lysol;580826
I made my MX Revolution white with VHT vinyl dye. I've been using for like a year since I did it and it still looks as good as the day I finished it. I highly reccomend it over trying to dye a large piece of ABS with rit, as it will be very difficult to keep it from deforming, and Fusion is nowhere near as durable and scratch resistant for long term.
(Attachment Link) 48863[/ATTACH]

Lysol did you use a prep spray on your surface before applying the spray. I have a friend who use to use vinyl dye quite a bit, but I don't recall how he treated the surface.

Offline Maarten

RIT Dying a Logitech G9x
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 12 May 2012, 16:03:30 »
I will let you know how/when my mouse wears through its paintjob;

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 50090[/ATTACH]

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 50091[/ATTACH]

I used the cheapest paint i could find and its already a couple weeks old now, still going strong. So any paint you use will outlast mine.

Uh and those scratches are no wear.. its a theme! Mouse base color was blue;
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 50092[/ATTACH]

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
RIT Dying a Logitech G9x
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 12 May 2012, 18:46:21 »
That looks awesome. A Mass Effect mod or something?

Offline BossBorot

RIT Dying a Logitech G9x
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 12 May 2012, 20:45:47 »
seems like this thread may no longer be relevant to the op due to the date difference, but I successfully Rit dyed my g700 to get rid of the logo.

read more here

before vs after
« Last Edit: Sat, 12 May 2012, 20:49:34 by BossBorot »

Offline Creizai

RIT Dying a Logitech G9x
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 15 May 2012, 00:11:15 »
Quote from: Maarten;590945
I will let you know how/when my mouse wears through its paintjob;

(Attachment Link) 50090[/ATTACH]

(Attachment Link) 50091[/ATTACH]

I used the cheapest paint i could find and its already a couple weeks old now, still going strong. So any paint you use will outlast mine.

Uh and those scratches are no wear.. its a theme! Mouse base color was blue;
(Attachment Link) 50092[/ATTACH]

You really need to do a FAQ about that, it extremely awesome.

Offline Maarten

RIT Dying a Logitech G9x
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 15 May 2012, 01:31:28 »
Yeah... its a little ME3 themed (or actually ME2 if you wanna nitpick) paintjob :dance:

An a FAQ? Erm, not much to answer actually... Its just the cheapest paint i could find, took the mouse apart, used some ammonia to clean everything, gave it a light sanding followed by another ammonia rinse and then threw on the paint. Made sure not to make the lines to nice (hey, its armor.. like tanks the paint-job should server its purpose for either camouflage or recognition with the least bit of effort) and made sure it looked all rough like its been through hell. Not rocket science or anything ;)

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
RIT Dying a Logitech G9x
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 16 May 2012, 19:07:47 »
No, I just cleaned it only with alcohol before spraying. If I remember correctly, that is all they recommend for prep is to ensure surface is clean.
Very nice Maarten.

Offline Maarten

RIT Dying a Logitech G9x
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 17 May 2012, 05:05:33 »
Quote from: lysol;594259
No, I just cleaned it only with alcohol before spraying. If I remember correctly, that is all they recommend for prep is to ensure surface is clean.
Very nice Maarten.

Well yeah, it kinda depends on the paint you're gonna use what's best preparation. If you use proper paint that is actually designed for the type of plastic your'e gonna use it on then chances are there's solvents inside the paint that actually soften the plastic a tiny bit as you spray it on guaranteeing a proper bond between the plastic and paint when the solvents evaporate. In that ideal situation removing fat and dirt are your main goals, hence alcohol will work fine indeed.

I however used CHEAP paint, not really designed with any specific plastic in mind so i needed surface area for more stickyness power, hence the sanding and as with any sanding job ALWAYS clean your subject before AND after the actual sanding (sanding a dirty and or fat surface will actually work the junk deeper inside the material making it impossible to remove afterwards).

One way is not per-se better than the other, it all depends on the materials you use really.