Author Topic: Anybody know how I can get this color by dyeing?  (Read 1866 times)

Offline trustinkiss

Anybody know how I can get this color by dyeing?
« on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 14:48:11 »
Hello,

I'm working on trying to find out how I can dye my keycaps to the color I want. I've been trying to mimic the colors of a past groupbuy on PMK (PimpMyKeyboard), the "Midnight Alpha Set." The colors that the designer of the set used were listed by him personally. Specifically I am trying to copy the same color as the modifier set in that groupbuy and the color is listed as "VCO" on the PMK site. 101792-0 is the color I am going for. How would I recreate this color on blank keycaps using keycap dyes like iDye Poly or All-Purpose Dylon? Should I try mixing green and yellow dyes or would leaving the dye in for less time in just green be effective? Any help would be much appreciated!

Also, a link to all the iDye Poly colors available is here:
http://www.jacquardproducts.com/idye.html
« Last Edit: Wed, 27 May 2015, 15:05:22 by trustinkiss »

Offline MellowFellow

Re: Anybody know how I can get this color by dyeing?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 14:54:56 »
u shud.. post a link to the img. rather than have the readers download something.
otherwise no one will bother to answer your question.

Offline trustinkiss

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 15:00:36 »
Oh sorry, I wasn't sure how to link it. I think it should be fixed now

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 15:56:57 »
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 16:16:11 »
Using the info on the link Fohat provided, I would use a mixture of iDye poly green and iDye poly turquoise.  Get your method correct before committing to dyeing your good caps.

Offline Xowie

• On Sabbatical
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 18:11:38 »
Hello,

I'm working on trying to find out how I can dye my keycaps to the color I want. I've been trying to mimic the colors of a past groupbuy on PMK (PimpMyKeyboard), the "Midnight Alpha Set." The colors that the designer of the set used were listed by him personally. Specifically I am trying to copy the same color as the modifier set in that groupbuy and the color is listed as "VCO" on the PMK site. (Attachment Link) is the color I am going for. How would I recreate this color on blank keycaps using keycap dyes like iDye Poly or All-Purpose Dylon? Should I try mixing green and yellow dyes or would leaving the dye in for less time in just green be effective? Any help would be much appreciated!

Also, a link to all the iDye Poly colors available is here:
http://www.jacquardproducts.com/idye.html
I find that I am less disappointed if I go for general colors rather than specific shades. I would try out different mixtures in caps you do not care about (definitely of same material, preferably from same set).
RETIRED

Offline trustinkiss

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 22:03:25 »
Thank you guys for the links and the suggestions!

I had actually already done one set of keycaps before and I unfortunately did not get the results I had hoped for. I had mixed iDye Poly blue with yellow and let it sit for 15 minutes at around 80C approx, and I ended up with a forest green type of color. I did not have the smarts to test out a few keys at a time for the optimal results, but I went ahead and bought a new set of blanks to try again.

This time around I will:
-Make the dye solution in a separate container (like the link had suggested) and pour it in to the actual pot of water to get my final concentration. I will try this method this time because my attempt had given me some keys with splotchy dark spots of color and unevenness.
-Test the shades I get with different amounts of soaking time to find the exact shade I want
-Use a more diluted concentration because the author of the post provided in the link believed it would result in a more even color
-Try a few different color combinations
-Be more patient

Wish me luck!

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 21:39:42 »

Wish me luck!

I don't wish you luck. I wish you perseverance, discipline and systematic organization.

Dyeing is easy to do.

Dyeing well is not easy to do at all. I very, very strongly suggest you get a lot of disposable blanks and test.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.